Community Mastodon | Help and general thread

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
spent most of the day play around with making a really simple bot that posts gaming news RSS feeds :)

now i only need to get my botsinspace account approved and will try deploying it

also - if you have any suggestions as to which websites i should include, that would be great :) the more the better

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
spent most of the day play around with making a really simple bot that posts gaming news RSS feeds :)

now i only need to get my botsinspace account approved and will try deploying it

also - if you have any suggestions as to which websites i should include, that would be great :) the more the better
Would you curate the feed ?

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
only as far as adding/removing sources

otherwise it would just automatically post everything they publish on their websites

why?
Call me Negative Nancy but I don't think I can think of a PC or even Console site that doesn't publish a huge chunk of shit. Maybe I'm too negative.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Call me Negative Nancy but I don't think I can think of a PC or even Console site that doesn't publish a huge chunk of shit. Maybe I'm too negative.
yeah, that's true, but at least there won't be any clickbaity tweets (unless they also have clickbaity headlines)

otherwise i'd have to sit there and check every single article, and i just don't have the time to do that sort of thing :(

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

LionelInoe

Linux Advocate
Jul 13, 2022
I would like to make a bot of all the artist(s) from Japan that haven't migrated from Twitter yet just so I can keep up with the content I'm missing while on mastodon. I would prefer to use pixiv as my source since it would avoid using Twitter directly obviously.

My only issue is that my instance ( dot art ) doesn't allow for bots, even art focused ones. So I might have to find an instance that's pro bot that also isn't hurting too bad w/ regards to file storage.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I would like to make a bot of all the artist(s) from Japan that haven't migrated from Twitter yet just so I can keep up with the content I'm missing while on mastodon. I would prefer to use pixiv as my source since it would avoid using Twitter directly obviously.

My only issue is that my instance ( dot art ) doesn't allow for bots, even art focused ones. So I might have to find an instance that's pro bot that also isn't hurting too bad w/ regards to file storage.
you should totally do it!

and botsin.space would probably be a good one ;)

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
There is a Mastodon user who only posts slightly NFSW pics of her legs and skirts.
I'm addicted :notlikethisblob:
And yeah, horny too. Didn't think I was still young enough for that.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I have not tweeted since Elon bought the bird site.

Maybe i should sign up to Mastodon :)
absolutely! :)

Lol! I say this without any hint of irony and a legit life advice, you should get out more.
and touch grass :p

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Can you bot trailers too that are uploaded to Youtube by game companies? We have them on discord right?
theoretically, but that would have to be a separate bot, i guess

and i'm not sure if it's a good idea - most of them post way more stuff to their channels than just trailers

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
oh yeah if they post other random stuff then it'd be spammy
exactly, and there's really no surefire way to filter out ONLY trailers (without, you know, just checking every new link manually, but then it's not really a bot anymore, lol)

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

things are going great
To be honest the way things are going I don't think Twitter will be up for much longer. The asshole who bough it seems to want it to run it to the ground faster than expected.

Changing the subject a little, do you know if I can create different lists of subjects I'm interested? As an example, I follow the #music as it is a way to discover some new music, but I don't want it always cluttering my whole homepage.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Changing the subject a little, do you know if I can create different lists of subjects I'm interested? As an example, I follow the #music as it is a way to discover some new music, but I don't want it always cluttering my whole homepage.
unfortunately not

i mean - you CAN create different lists etc, but you have to follow an account if you want to add it to a list

but you CAN pin hashtags to columns (up to 5 hashtags per column) in the advanced web interface (and you don't have to follow those accounts then)

• Love
OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
unfortunately not

i mean - you CAN create different lists etc, but you have to follow an account if you want to add it to a list

but you CAN pin hashtags to columns (up to 5 hashtags per column) in the advanced web interface (and you don't have to follow those accounts then)
Thank you I will give it a try :)

• Hug

Riru

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway
I transferred my account to a different server and i broke something lol
I ended up deleting the account. I will check back in the new year and get my head around this. :cold-sweat:

• Hug
  • Comfy
Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah good to see Mozilla follow suit, Vivaldi has an instance and I use it instead of Chrome, but I don't know anyone else that does lol
i've seen a few people from the vivaldi instance "like" my stuff lately, not many though