|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019

TotK for $50 ($45 if you can find a discount on eShop gift cards) isn't too bad. The downside is you're at the mercy of Nintendo's online service and their inevitable sunsetting of the Switch eShop in 10 years or so.
This is literally why I don't buy digital stuff at Nintendo platforms. I don't trust them in that regard. The only times I've spent some money have been with Hades and FFVII after I was gifted a 25€ card. Money I would've probably spent in SNES games because I want to "own" them, not have them be part of a subscription service. Same with GB and GBA games now.

Reactions: Arc

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Not a full remake and some scenes are more overhauled than others but it's definitely an extensive proper remaster rather than a port in higher res called such...

It looks phenomenal. I'm waiting for the physical version since I don't have the time to play through it right now.

This is literally why I don't buy digital stuff at Nintendo platforms. I don't trust them in that regard. The only times I've spent some money have been with Hades and FFVII after I was gifted a 25€ card. Money I would've probably spent in SNES games because I want to "own" them, not have them be part of a subscription service. Same with GB and GBA games now.
Against my better judgement I went ahead and bought a voucher. I had some Best Buy credit rotting away and got a $100 gift card for $90 and got Zelda and Pikmin. I'll just grab physical copies of those games off eBay at some point.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have decided to do a media blackout for Zelda. I have known enough. May actually revisit Botw in Master Mode soon so I can prepare myself for the new adventure soon.

• This!

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I think Tears of the Kingdom has kind of put me off. It looks like Breath of the Wild with gimmicks, and that’s kind of not what I wanted here.

• This!
Reactions: undu and Arc

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I think Tears of the Kingdom has kind of put me off. It looks like Breath of the Wild with gimmicks, and that’s kind of not what I wanted here.
I can definitely see your concern. Tears of the Kingdom looks iterative while Breath of the Wild was revolutionary, but at the same time it is near impossible to recreate the experience of Zelda becoming open world. Nintendo's marketing for Tears is also half hearted to Breath. Tears will almost certainly be one of the best games of the year, but it won't be as impressive as playing Breath of the Wild for the first time.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I thought BotW sucked hard, brought nothing but old ass Ubisoft elements to the franchise and exterminated everything that made The Legend of Zelda great.

This one looks similar, but at least it has more enemy variety. Maybe it will have items to find too. And maybe, shocking, dungeons? And not "make your own fun in an empty and ugly ass world and collect 50 rupees from endlessly respawning bandit camps".
Visually it looks hideous in 2023, BotW was already pretty fetid outside of set pieces like Gerudo Town, but now with the mushroom biome? It looks mole Xenoblade 1 on Wii, and I'm not even sure it compares favorably. It sure isn't on the level of Xenoblade X released 8 years ago on Wii U...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Btw if anyone new is playing the Metroid Prime remaster, do yourself a favor and don't go OCD on the scanning, it will ruin the game's pacing so only do it when you can't progress so likely need to scan something to activate it or when something looks genuinely interesting and you wanna stop playing and read info on it. Hopefully Prime 4 improves on that aspect or does completely away with it, you don't need a separate scan visor mode like detective modes any more cool as it seemed back in the day, just have the suit auto download interesting stuff that play as an audio log when urgently relevant or really cool enough for the devs to want you to hear it right away, or requires you to go to the menu to read when you feel like doing it per instance or in batches as a break from the gameplay. But yeah you can go for 100% scan after a first playthrough (where you WILL miss stuff for sure) if you really want to and you'll see how it totally ruins even the intro where they have way too much stuff per area to scan, even every single dang door has both sides scannable, lol. They reined in whoever did that so later areas don't even have any random door scannable at all but of course if you're in that mode with that experience you'll be checking through them all in case...

Last edited:
Reactions: Cacher and xinek

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Someone on 4chan leaked the new Pokemon DLC several days ago and mentioned a new Switch model coming with DLC 2. The Pokemon Presents stream shows they were accurate. Maybe the Switch 2 is coming sooner rather than later?

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Cacher and yuraya
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I played a bit of Tokyo Miarage Sessions FE Encore today on Ryu, great performance, but not sure Im liking the game itself despite of the praises it has received.

It's a JRPG I expect not many people have played.

So far the entire game has been very uninteresting.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
I played a bit of Tokyo Miarage Sessions FE Encore today on Ryu, great performance, but not sure Im liking the game itself despite of the praises it has received.

It's a JRPG I expect not many people have played.

So far the entire game has been very uninteresting.
Its a very niche game to be sure, specifically aimed at people who enjoy the otaku aesthetic (specifically, idol culture).

The weeb-ness of Tokyo Mirage Sessions is off the charts - like an endless parade of anime bullshit. Thankfully for me, I enjoy anime bullshit so I loved it. If this is not you, turn away, turn away now. :so-good-blob:

• This!
Reactions: Durante and Cacher
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Started up Sparks of Hope on Ryu and Im not finding it as good as Kingdom Battle so far. Just finished the first planet, only did main missions.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
It took about halfway through sparks of hope to hit its stride and I do think the combat turned out better overall but the overworld stuff never quite hit the points the original did and it's because they essentially ubi'd it. They took linear levels that were connected in a way that felt like theme park rides and made them tiny open worlds, complete with a variety of checklist things to do on each map.

I dream of a day where this industry, devs and gamers alike, come to the realization that I did over the last 18 months or so: That open worlds almost always make games worse. And yes I'm including darlings like zelda and souls games there too.

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
I decided to play breath of the wild again in preparation for the new one. I'd never played the DLC so thought I'd do that. Had over a 100 hours in the game before, found all the shrines and other things.

Now, I have no idea what I'm doing, even keep pressing the wrong button for dodge. And I've no idea where to go as some of the DLC describes places to go and I scan the map but my memory is gone. It was 2017 when I last played the game according to my save game.

The Dear Leader

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Having Dead Space, Forspoken, Hogwarts Legacy all looking me in the face everytime I turn on my PS5, all half complete, makes me just panic load up Fortnite or COD, managing my backlog has disappeared since I got this damn console and started gamesharing with my brother.

Reactions: lashman
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im considering dropping Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Just finished the first chapter and the combat is janky, repetive, messy and feels frustrasting. Nothing to do with performance as Ryu performance is pretty good, could possibly even be better than on the Switch itself.

Gonna play a bit more and maybe it becomes better.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
And here I am playing a remaster for a 20 year old game on my 6 year old console and having a blast.

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Pro consoles are just going to make games more expensive to make and buy, which ultimately means they will suck more as the developer tries to “broaden” it.

Suicide Squad, anyone? Why do we want more turds like that? Because that’s where this leads.

Less of this please.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I don't think I will be getting the PS5 pro. A lot of "exclusive" PS5 games seem to end up on PC these days, so it makes more sense to wait for that version. Also, with both God of War and Horizon sequels and the major remake of The Last of Us having been released in 2022, I am not sure what game Sony would try to entice me to get the best version of in late 2024. Demon's Souls sequel maybe? Would still probably not be enough for me to upgrade

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
At the "Famitsu/Dengeki Game Awards 2022" held on March 18, "The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom" was selected as the most anticipated new title for 2023.

Commenting on the award, Aonuma, producer of the "The Legend of Zelda" series, said, "This is a very wonderful award.

The entire development team is delighted to receive such a wonderful award! In the previous title, Breath of the Wild, players experienced a new Zelda world where they are free to go anywhere and do anything they want, and in the sequel, Tears of the Kingdom, we have packed in even more new gameplay where players' freedom of imagination will change the game world. I am sure that all of you who voted for this game will be very happy with the results. I am sure that everyone who voted for this game will find it a fresh surprise, and I hope that you will enjoy the "unknown" Hyrule as much as you want to. Thank you!

• Gib

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Only a few more days left and Nintendo closes the 3DS and WiiU eShops. Why? Dunno. Do they hate money?

Got a few Atlus 3DS games on deep discount (4 € each): Soul Hackers, Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker & Persona Q.
Would get a few more games, but none of those I want are on sale (Radiant Historia, Bravely Second to name a few).

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Added Etrian Odyssey 4 as my final 3DS eShop purchase as Atlus only announced 1-3 for PC. Also 4€ compared to 40 for the remakes.

Started Soul Hackers and was immediately reminded why I did not play much on my 3DS. Screen so tiny, eyesight bad.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I am weak so I watched the Zelda presentation....................... Oh god the new mechanics have so much potential.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Yup. It looks like Breath of the Wild with more fun shit to play about with.

I’m digging it.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
It feels like with these new skills they leaned into youtuber culture where people will spend hours or days making ridiculously unrealistic contraptions to do the same thing you can (and will, lets be honest) with a couple rocks and maybe a fan lol.

I think that's the biggest reason why I didn't like botw. People were like you can do this! and that! and also that! but...there was really no reason to do it. Like yes you could rig up some weird floating platform to climb a ledge using octo balloons and something else, but you could also just climb it. Or make a makeshift ladder/ramp to climb up. Yes it's boring that way but you got the same result and reward for doing it that way. These games should push you to be creative and reward you for it.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
So many people are going to beat the shit out of Ganon with penis-looking sword.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I watched about 2 minutes before I peaced out. It looks good and will suck all my free time in May.

Reactions: Cacher

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I have looked at absolutely 0 media for Zelda. It's one of the few games that I'll buy anyway (as soon as someone gets it to run at at least 60 FPS in an emulator, since I really don't want to deal with Switch resolution/perf).

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
EXCLUSIVE - Sony's Next PlayStation Handheld - Insider Gaming

An always online device that requires a PS5.....?

Leave it to Sony to choose the most embarrassing and most pathetic way to get back in the handheld gaming. wtf.

Its crazy how scared they after the Vita flop. Seriously tho its not 2010 anymore. The company is making record profits every quarter. The tech for mobile and handheld devices are really advanced/powerful. Yet Sony decides to go with such a soft ass move. So disappointing.

Why not swing for the fences? They don't need a handheld to sell 100 million units. It could just be a good complimentary device for the PS5 like the Deck is for PC gaming. And I refuse to believe they can't create some low level PS5 OS that can play games at 720p like the Deck can. If Microsoft can do that with Series S then Sony has no excuse. And the Deck AMD chip is getting old now so Sony could get something even more powerful for a 2024 device.

But meh wtvr. I bet they really regret this long term after Switch 2 sells another 100+ million units and Deck 2 becomes another killer handheld.

Reactions: fearthedawn
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The PS Vita is still one of the best handhelds ever made and it died due to Sonys lack of game support.

I also owned a PSP1000 and 2000 (Slim?) and I still found the Vita to be the best. Never owned a PSP Go though, but I was interested in one.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I just don't see a reason for any sony made handheld device. Their only play for a non cloud device would be a steam deck copycat that would basically play your PS5/PS4 library on the go and I just don't know how much demand there is for that, never mind the fact that a portable that could actually run PS5 only games really doesn't exist right now. Sony doesn't operate under the same rules and expectations Valve seems to, where selling a million decks is seen as a huge success. That'd be an unprecedented disaster for Sony. Even Vita managed to do something like 12m.

As for the cloud devices I think it's moronic to make a device that relies on a stable internet connection but also make it a portable...where internet quality is at its worst. Anywhere outside of people's homes and you're dealing with internet quality ranging from non existent to relatively horrific in most parts of america. But at least this thing is probably a lot lower risk for Sony to make. It's probably not going to cost hundreds of dollars and require a lot of R&D expenses that they'd need to recoup.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The PS5 Slim is the only one that make sense.

PS5 Pro makes no sense. This generation barely got started thanks to covid.
I wonder how expensive a PS5 Pro will be. They can't seriously charge 600$ for it can they? Even if its 50% more powerful with more storage it will be a hard sell. They will have to do some crazy comparisons to show off legit framerate gains etc. Like a serious marketing blitz with Digital Foundry.

Regardless they will need to lower the prices in the coming years.

I want the PS5 slim to be around 300$ when Wolverine releases and I will jump on it. Hopefully a good bundle for the holidays late 2024.

I'm guessing the PS5 Pro will still be 500$+ by then tho and still be a bad deal.

Also curious how Xbox responds. Sony doing VR and Handheld stuff so MS can't just sit around. They will need to push out something risky too like a Gamepass handheld. The smart thing for them to do is to make both the S and X cheaper. Settle them at 200$ and 400$ for the rest of the gen to pick up some ground on Sony. And on the side do like a cheap 300$ handheld to fill in between the other devices.

Reactions: Rin

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I get a hypothetical PS5 Pro, but it does feel weird since the whole perception of time got thrown out of whack due to COVID. What I don't get is that rumored handheld. It seems completely pointless, especially since streaming handhelds usually support a variety of services and the PS one would almost certainly be locked down to only PS5. Just make an official PS streaming app, put it on mobile (and Steam) and call it a day.

Reactions: yuraya

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I get a hypothetical PS5 Pro, but it does feel weird since the whole perception of time got thrown out of whack due to COVID. What I don't get is that rumored handheld. It seems completely pointless, especially since streaming handhelds usually support a variety of services and the PS one would almost certainly be locked down to only PS5. Just make an official PS streaming app, put it on mobile (and Steam) and call it a day.
Yeah if the Pro does launch end of next year that's 4 years after the gen started. For example ps4 pro was 3 years after launch, and while that gen didn't have covid it did have a very slow start due to publishers entering that gen believing that mobile had killed consoles. When the systems launched at record breaking sales they had to scramble to change their strategies which led to the launch period in 2013 and all of 2014 being painfully bad. I think people need to sit back and remember just how bad that early gen period was, the top games in 2014 were dragon age inquisition and shadow of mordor.....

This gen did get hit a bit harder because of covid and the chip issue though. Last gen really hit its stride in 2015 with games like dying light, witcher 3, bloodborne, arkham knight and mgs V (though that was cross gen). 2021 should have been this gen's 2015 but covid pushed everything into this year. So really we're a year behind the pace of last gen but since the ps5 pro would be launching a year later than ps4's did that kinda evens everything out ultimately. The issue people are mostly having is our warped perception of time post covid. It doesn't feel like the ps5 has been out for 2.5 years already.

Personally I think we need it and not even because of stuff like ray tracing which I think is a waste of time right now. We need it because no one optimizes games anymore. More and more console games' performance modes are coming in at 1080/60 and some aren't even high end intensive AAA games, some are AA stuff like evil west. However even the super optimized games like gow ragnarok are still "just" 1440/60 despite being a suped up ps4 game. We can always use the extra power even if RT isn't a focus.

Last edited:
Reactions: yuraya

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Yeah if the Pro does launch end of next year that's 4 years after the gen started. For example ps4 pro was 3 years after launch, and while that gen didn't have covid it did have a very slow start due to publishers entering that gen believing that mobile had killed consoles. When the systems launched at record breaking sales they had to scramble to change their strategies which led to the launch period in 2013 and all of 2014 being painfully bad. I think people need to sit back and remember just how bad that early gen period was, the top games in 2014 were dragon age inquisition and shadow of mordor.....

This gen did get hit a bit harder because of covid and the chip issue though. Last gen really hit its stride in 2015 with games like dying light, witcher 3, bloodborne, arkham knight and mgs V (though that was cross gen). 2021 should have been this gen's 2015 but covid pushed everything into this year. So really we're a year behind the pace of last gen but since the ps5 pro would be launching a year later than ps4's did that kinda evens everything out ultimately. The issue people are mostly having is our warped perception of time post covid. It doesn't feel like the ps5 has been out for 2.5 years already.

Personally I think we need it and not even because of stuff like ray tracing which I think is a waste of time right now. We need it because no one optimizes games anymore. More and more console games' performance modes are coming in at 1080/60 and some aren't even high end intensive AAA games, some are AA stuff like evil west. However even the super optimized games like gow ragnarok are still "just" 1440/60 despite being a suped up ps4 game. We can always use the extra power even if RT isn't a focus.
I agree they need it. You have to release something new as soon the hardware bump is ready. Because if you wait even a little bit then it won't be a meaningful upgrade. Then you might as well skip it all together and start working on the PS6. They will start assembling the PS6 after the Pro releaes and it should be ready in 2028 or wtvr.

Also the Pro will most likely be pushed with the new GTA game next year or 2025. Sony wants its out so they can do marketing with Rockstar I bet.

But I wonder how Sony plans to juggle all the different SKUs. Because the PS5 slim will most likely be diskless. But they need to still have regular PS5 with disk drives around. And the PS5 Pro will probably have disk drive too. Maybe even have both as well. Its gonna get messy when they have 3-4 different types of PS5s on store shelves. The prices for all of them will be all over the place. And on top of that you have a 500$+ VR headset in the wild too. Maybe they should consider some type of exclusive PS5 Pro + VR bundle people can save a couple hundred dollars with just so they can move headsets faster.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I agree they need it. You have to release something new as soon the hardware bump is ready. Because if you wait even a little bit then it won't be a meaningful upgrade. Then you might as well skip it all together and start working on the PS6. They will start assembling the PS6 after the Pro releaes and it should be ready in 2028 or wtvr.

Also the Pro will most likely be pushed with the new GTA game next year or 2025. Sony wants its out so they can do marketing with Rockstar I bet.

But I wonder how Sony plans to juggle all the different SKUs. Because the PS5 slim will most likely be diskless. But they need to still have regular PS5 with disk drives around. And the PS5 Pro will probably have disk drive too. Maybe even have both as well. Its gonna get messy when they have 3-4 different types of PS5s on store shelves. The prices for all of them will be all over the place. And on top of that you have a 500$+ VR headset in the wild too. Maybe they should consider some type of exclusive PS5 Pro + VR bundle people can save a couple hundred dollars with just so they can move headsets faster.
I think when tom henderson reported the new drive-less ps5 coming he said it's meant to replace the current disc model eventually. They might phase out the digital model too since I think the plan with this is to sell it for less than the disc model and the drive will be X amount sold separately. We'll have to wait and see I guess. I agree if they were to keep all these out there and also introduce a Pro it can get messy for the average consumer.

Rin

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway
I get a hypothetical PS5 Pro, but it does feel weird since the whole perception of time got thrown out of whack due to COVID.
There is a place for a Pro/half step console but yeah the timing is all wrong.
This generation barely got started.

What I don't get is that rumored handheld. It seems completely pointless, especially since streaming handhelds usually support a variety of services and the PS one would almost certainly be locked down to only PS5. Just make an official PS streaming app, put it on mobile (and Steam) and call it a day.
They got a official streaming app and its terrible.
The app i linked above puts it to shame and its from a solo dev.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
If Sony is doing an exclusive FF16 state of play now then its unlikely they do a big main state of play in May/June. They now pretty much have no reason to do their next big SoP until August/Sept. Kind of disappointing as I hoped Sony and Nintendo would do a big one along side all the other shows in beginning of June. Looks like we are getting another summer of scattered events.

Nintendo will probably do it in July/August/Sept. That is probably where they start teasing Switch 2.

Reactions: Derrick01