|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Due to GAME uk going down the shitter with regards to their store policies and physical store i have £160 worth of store credit to use up in the next week or two.

So... please suggest to me some "Must Have" Switch games from the last two years and i'll see if they are available on the game uk site.

I doubt there's any PS4 games worth grabbing and same for PC... however i might get a new PS4/PS5 controller ( if they work on PC ) instead of a game. hmmm.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Due to GAME uk going down the shitter with regards to their store policies and physical store i have £160 worth of store credit to use up in the next week or two.

So... please suggest to me some "Must Have" Switch games from the last two years and i'll see if they are available on the game uk site.

I doubt there's any PS4 games worth grabbing and same for PC... however i might get a new PS4/PS5 controller ( if they work on PC ) instead of a game. hmmm.
Maybe Pikmin series? The whole series is on Switch. I haven't played Pikmin 4 yet but 3 was really good. 4 was also reviewed well.

Also Paper Mario. Origami King is a great adventure game (not an RPG), and if you want a classic RPG there is Thousand-Year Door remaster.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Maybe Pikmin series? The whole series is on Switch. I haven't played Pikmin 4 yet but 3 was really good. 4 was also reviewed well.

Also Paper Mario. Origami King is a great adventure game (not an RPG), and if you want a classic RPG there is Thousand-Year Door remaster.
DOH, i forgot about Thousand Year Door!

I ended up getting these as it was fairly slim choices. I had Rain Code in mind too but decided against it.
Star Ocean The Second Story R
Front Mission 1st - Limited Edition
Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster
Persona 5 Tactica - ( Edition with Persona 5 Tactica Coasters )
Pokemon Violet & Area Zero DLC - ( Edition with Pokemon S and V Poster )

Last edited:
  • Gib
  • Comfy
Reactions: Li Kao and Cacher

Big McLargehuge

God Cleaver
Dec 8, 2018

Unicorn Overlord and Bayonetta Orgins are both really good Switch games.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Back in my day, consoles went down in price after several years.
Console prices goes up
Game prices goes up
Services and subscriptions prices goes up
DLC and expansions prices goes up
Amount of microtransactions in games goes up
Game dev takes longer
Thousands of devs lost their jobs

The gen has been awful. The net benefit to gaming is a fat zero.

• Sad
Reactions: xinek and Arc

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I remember getting a PS2 and Gamecube at the end of their lifecycles for $100 each and getting a bunch of Player's Choice games for $20/each as well.

I really can't wait for the PS5 Pro to be announced and cost something like 600 to 700. It's going to be so funny
The Switch 2 will probably wind up being $400 as well. This sucks.

Dec 5, 2018
I really can't wait for the PS5 Pro to be announced and cost something like 600 to 700. It's going to be so funny
Inflation + the inability to shrink the chips has let to that.
I remember getting a PS2 and Gamecube at the end of their lifecycles for $100 each and getting a bunch of Player's Choice games for $20/each as well.
The era of supercheap consoles at the end of the gen it's long gone.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I guess I will have to replay this game on DC next rather than just go oh, what a cool port, but never actually care to touch it myself because it's readily available elsewhere. It's weird the PC remaster didn't add something like this (if not the original game having it too, it was after all around this time that Quake, Powerslave and other games pushing graphics forward were making dynamic lighting a pretty big deal on multiple platforms, even some supposedly lesser to the N64 like the Sega Saturn), it seems so fitting for its visual style that I had to go back and check it didn't already have it, wow.

It's surprising (well, mostly because of 2.5 decades of widespread bashing of the system unfairly leading to underestimating and underrating it) that some of the first things that actually work, even with this kind of homebrew amateur project and early days at that, are so called advanced features like most of the lighting effects, that all the haters pretended would be the very first thing to go, even before polygon and streaming optimizations, had there been an official Dreamcast version of the game, likening an imaginary final AAA product to early pre-release media that aren't even from DC.
This is an actual hardware capture of our WIP #GTA 3 port to the Sega #Dreamcast. SUBSTANTIAL framerate gainz have come from converting the model geometry from triangle lists to triangle strips as well as from utilizing KallistiOS's "Direct Rendering" PVR API for fast polygon submission via the SH4 CPU's "Store Queues." Oh... plus we enabled LTO, and it seriously jumped like another 3-5fps.

Funnily enough, there's still PLENTY of room for optimization... Every vertex you see was being transformed by the PS2's vector unit coprocessor, while these transforms are being done in plain C++ on the DC's SH4 CPU... These are being accelerated via the SH4's SIMD and fast-math instructions at this very moment.

Yes, we got clipping bugs, but we've been too excited trying to push polygons and frames-per-second to bother fixing that shit just yet. Oh, and yes, this is now running on a 16MB stock Dreamcast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
That giant Wii controller at 11:30 lmaoooooooo

Honestly it looks really fun. Going without a friend would be a bad idea though.