|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
A lot of the talk is about the new Switch having DLSS, which would be an awesome addition.

I'm not in 4K yet so the current Switch suits me fine, but I'd probably get one of these in preparation if DLSS was on it.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Will considering getting the new Switch then, but it will depend on price, how much of an upgrade it is and upcoming Ninty exclusives as my Switch is somewhat collecting dust these days, nothing on the horizon aside of Skyward Sword Im interested in as I will wait for Rise and Stories to hit PC and Bravely Default might hit PC too (same with SMTN).

I have not finished Sword or Origami King yet, but not really interested in playing them.

I still have my Switch from 2017, but the fan on top make it sound like an jet engine often.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
'Just' 720p in handheld ? Granted that's not the most important factor on a small screen but that's a little on the meh side.
I really have nothing to add as I didn't see these rumors. Uh, maybe that Nintendo pricing is so trash that I should skip this new SKU (if I was reasonable).
After all, my Switch is collecting dust too, but more than the lack of softwares, it's a matter of Nintendo outpricing me.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I’m interested in it. Shaky performance and low resolution have been among the main reasons I play less on Switch than I used to. It’ll also be a good excuse to return to a few games with bad performance like Dragon Quest Builders 2.

Game pricing is definitely an issue though. But I’m not big on collecting, so I often buy a physical game, resell it, add a few euros and buy a new game.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
My Switch is pretty much permanently docked to my monitor especially since lockdown. I'm interested in a newer, better performing Switch but i can wait until Nintendo unveil it. All the people i see getting worked up about fantasy specs they've made up in their heads amuses me though.

I'll wait for Specs, Pricing and availability because i'm not paying scalper prices for one that's for sure.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
'Just' 720p in handheld ? Granted that's not the most important factor on a small screen but that's a little on the meh side.
Sadly quite a few games in portable mode barely hit 720p anyway so it'd be a waste of power and performance to have a 1080p screen. Hopefully with this we'll get better performance and more games actually hitting 720p this time.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Sadly quite a few games in portable mode barely hit 720p anyway so it'd be a waste of power and performance to have a 1080p screen. Hopefully with this we'll get better performance and more games actually hitting 720p this time.
Good point, and yeah I didn't think about battery life when I commented. Big omission !

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
It’ll be nice for games with variable resolutions that actually have 720p as the top end. But I think a lot of them also set a max that’s sub-720, so my fear is that many older releases may still only look less bad.

Rogue Agent

Apr 4, 2019
Good point, and yeah I didn't think about battery life when I commented. Big omission !
Yeah. I wish battery tech moved faster in terms of improving, that would be nice.
It’ll be nice for games with variable resolutions that actually have 720p as the top end. But I think a lot of them also set a max that’s sub-720, so my fear is that many older releases may still only look less bad.
Yeah, that would be really nice but like you, I fear that it'll only be a marginal improvement. Hopefully the rumoured DLSS inclusion does something but I'm not sure how that works.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Not to piggyback on the somewhat stupid thread next door, but I honestly am in the same situation where Disgaea 1 would make a lot of sense on Switch, but 20 euros with discount, when I bought it for a cup of coffee in the Humble Store, I just can't.
For once I could agree with EA that it's a result of devaluing games, but it is what it is, 20 fucking euros is oof.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I am really enjoying Demon's Souls Remake. The good clones like The Surge have their uses as well, but nothing beats the original games when it comes maze like levels full of secrets, shortcuts, traps and lore like Boletaria 1-1, which I just completed. Additionally, the mood and the music in the hub world is fantastic, probably the best I have experienced in a soulslike.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Think The Last Guardian might be my favorite Ueda game. Ico was neat and Shadow of the Colossus was a cool idea but also the pretentiousness around it puts me off.

Last Guardian comes together much better. Trico is beautifully animated and I like the contrast between the player character being more cartoony while the environments goes for a more realistic style. Also like that the dynamic is changed here compared to other „buddy games“. Was one of my ideas for a game after I finished Enslaved back in the day.

The puzzle design feels also very organic. Most of the time I kind of know intuitively in each puzzle. There is sometimes some finicky sections. In certain sections it takes a few tries to get Trico to do the thing it should be doing. I can somewhat excuse that since the bond between the two characters needs to grow before trusting fully. Also this is a cat like being so it sometimes has a head of its own.
There was one part that was annoying and took me 20 minutes.

The platforming while not as hard (other than some grips not correctly registering) has a sense of danger in the sections that count that miss from other action-adventures due to the looseness of it all. Sense of height is also pretty good.

There were also a few moments that moved the bond forward due to gameplay which I appreciated. Not moments that would only be possible in videogames but neat regardless. Better than it being a cutscene or a text box.

Also runs good on a PS5 in the 1.0 version. Not a flawless 60 frames but well enough. Had one section freeze for which I had to update the game. 30FPS are now unplayable for me on console but it also is a bummer that the game doesn’t support HDR without an update. Looks amazing.

Will keep at it. Really enjoying it.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have just found out that Switch has a whole collection of flip phones games (G-Mode Archives) as Japanese exclusives and some of these games look really dope. Sadly, they probably won't be localized in the future, but I thought it would be cool to share some of them.

Flyhight Cloudia (Classic JRPG series. G-mode said the original five games sold over 1.5 million in the past)

Scpas Channel (a Mother-like JRPG)

Tantei Kibukawa Ryousuke Jikentan (a long-running murder mystery series. First entry releasing next week)

The whole collection has 33 titles now and they are announcing new stuff very often, and all of them only cost 500 yen each. I will probably pick up a few down the road.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I have installed Chrome extension Distill which lets you monitor shopping sites, like if a shop changes PS5 from "Unavailable" to "Available" I should apparently receive a notification on my PC the moment it happens. Hopefully my chances are higher now then to get a PS5.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I have installed Chrome extension Distill which lets you monitor shopping sites, like if a shop changes PS5 from "Unavailable" to "Available" I should apparently receive a notification on my PC the moment it happens. Hopefully my chances are higher now then to get a PS5.
Good luck to you ! That being said, I fear a browser add-on is too little in the grand scheme of things. There are several other factors at play that make this purchase particularly time sensitive.

Reactions: Prodigy
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Good luck to you ! That being said, I fear a browser add-on is too little in the grand scheme of things. There are several other factors at play that make this purchase particularly time sensitive.
Like?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Well for starter I suppose you have the cash on your account, because opting for a plan is several clicks worth of precious time.
There is also the more limited but still time consuming act of logging to the site.
Then the biggest hurdle maybe, you are a human. Scalpers use bots. Not sure you can outspeed a bot.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Well for starter I suppose you have the cash on your account, because opting for a plan is several clicks worth of precious time.
There is also the more limited but still time consuming act of logging to the site.
Then the biggest hurdle maybe, you are a human. Scalpers use bots. Not sure you can outspeed a bot.
I always pay for my electronics all at once, never opted for a plan, have had money ready for a PS5 and a new PC for over 2 years. :p

I don't really care for scalpers, I just keep trying on getting a PS5 until I have one. I don't pay scalpers any attention really.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
It's not an issue of giving attention to scalpers. More an issue of they having the means to go faster than you. So if the shipment is large enough, I guess you have an edge over other buyers, but that's still a though purchase.

Reactions: C-Dub and Prodigy

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
It's not an issue of giving attention to scalpers. More an issue of they having the means to go faster than you. So if the shipment is large enough, I guess you have an edge over other buyers, but that's still a though purchase.
Yeah I think the problem is the bots automatically buy from sites instead of just getting a message that a product is available. There is no waiting or human input. You will have better chances though than the average Joe.

Speaking of Switch though, I just bought Fire Emblem: Three Houses, so far it seems really really good. Little overwhelming at the moment but (and this might be blasphemy) I think it is a better game than the Cold Steel series, even at this very early stage.

Reactions: Li Kao

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Finished The Last Guardian

At times it felt like it doesn't want me to love it. There were sections here and there that were really frustrating. In general I felt that the game should’ve given you something like the mirror to direct Trico. Would’ve made some parts less tedious waiting for Trico to do something and would not really break the UI less design.
But it still didn’t frustrate me as much as Shadow of the Colossus so it is my favorite Ueda game.

With my 2070 Super still out of commission the next game I will probably play is Knack in Space the Ratchet & Clank remake from a few years ago.

Reactions: lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I finished this game yesterday and absolutely loved it. Sadly I rented it so I'm not included in the sales, but I do plan to pick up a digital version when it goes on sale again just to support the devs and to play through it in a year or two when my memories about the game start to fade.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Did Capcom enable multiplayer again for the new version of MH Rise demo ?

pswii60

Mar 8, 2021
I got my 3080 by subbing to almost every Twitter and Discord stock tracking bot in existence and ensured I enabled notifications on my phone for all of them. Then kept my phone on me at all times and as soon as I heard the notification tone I'd be straight on the case, clicking the link within a couple of seconds and just doing it straight from my phone. Also made sure I was already logged in to the various shopping sites with the browser, past CAPTCHAs, my payment details added etc, to prevent any further delay. Although apparently PayPal or Apple Pay is your safest bet on most sites if you want to reserve your stock as quickly as possible.

There are many PS5 tracking bots too. That said I'm in the UK, not sure what trackers are available elsewhere, and if my memory serves me correctly you're in Norway? But I could be getting you confused with someone else back in the day lol, apologies if so ;)

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I got my 3080 by subbing to almost every Twitter and Discord stock tracking bot in existence and ensured I enabled notifications on my phone for all of them. Then kept my phone on me at all times and as soon as I heard the notification tone I'd be straight on the case, clicking the link within a couple of seconds and just doing it straight from my phone. Also made sure I was already logged in to the various shopping sites with the browser, past CAPTCHAs, my payment details added etc, to prevent any further delay. Although apparently PayPal or Apple Pay is your safest bet on most sites if you want to reserve your stock as quickly as possible.

There are many PS5 tracking bots too. That said I'm in the UK, not sure what trackers are available elsewhere, and if my memory serves me correctly you're in Norway? But I could be getting you confused with someone else back in the day lol, apologies if so ;)
Norway yup. Either the shops suddenly stars selling a few consoles without any announcement or the shop is having a competition where you can register for a chance to win a coupon code, the day after they open up PS5 for order, but for a sky high price to avoid scalpers, if you win the shop email you a personal coupon that you can use do drag the price down to normal and buy the console.

So far in order to buy a console you basically have to keep checking all the time and despite my interest for Demons Souls it is not that high for me to bother to do that.

I also want Returnals, Sackboy and Ratchet, but due to the prices I will wait for a good sale which I doubt will happen anytime soon.

So let's say I get lucky and Im able to get a PS5 next week, Im gonna then use about 2 weeks or whatever on Demons Souls and then...wait for sale on games.

So my relationship with getting a PS5 right now is basically:

Last edited:
Reactions: pswii60

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
It has been some years since I followed Sony and MS sales. How often and good are the sales these days ? Weekly ?

Rogue Agent

Apr 4, 2019
It has been some years since I followed Sony and MS sales. How often and good are the sales these days ? Weekly ?
Overall they seem great. I'm not sure if MS releases how much of their consoles they sold but it looks like they're both doing great despite the shortages.

Not sure about weekly, though. The only info I can see weekly are sales in Japan, Taiwan, Korea, etc. In Japan, for hardware Sony was doing bad during the last year or two of PS4 and for PS5 they're really bad partly because of the shortages. Xbox is pretty much non-existent. In terms of software, Sony only has like one or two games in the Top 30 and that's only when it's a new release. No Xbox games at all.

Globally, though, both of them seem to be doing great, especially Sony. It's a healthier market in that sense.

EDIT: Ignore that, I misinterpreted your question. You meant their game sales on their stores lol.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Sorry, Rogue Agent ! I meant how frequent and good are the game sales on their store :S

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Honestly the first seconds I laughed when I saw the new controllers, I still think Index controllers and Oculus Touch controllers looks better, but if it get's the job done, good.

Now Sony needs to invest in Alyx-scale games.

Reactions: C-Dub

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Played a bit of that Ratchet & Clank remake and I think it is pretty mediocre. At times it looks like a fake game. The dialogue always going for some joke is atrocious after a while. It feels sluggish because there is no 60FPS mode. And the guns have some fun effects but feel boring. Platforming feels uninspired and the layout of the various worlds is also pretty uninspired.

I know it is a budget-release and can be enjoyable. As someone who previously played no Ratchet&Clank game I maybe went into it with too high expectations. At the same time people spoke highly of it so I don't think it was unwarranted. Also made me go from "I will buy Rift Apart because I want to play something on my PS5" to "I will wait for a sale or look for a used copy"

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Seriously, anyone else have problems with the achievements for Yakuza 4? I now have three achievements that failed to unlock, that I know of.
That's weird, were you offline when that happened?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
That's weird, were you offline when that happened?
No I have super good internet.:( I read online that many have the problem, some in Xbox one and some on series. So it’s the game itself that is buggy. Some said they have to reload to get it to unlock but some that I grinded I’m not redoing. So I’ll just rush though this like I did 3 and hope 5 works better haha

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

I did manage to get Tatics Ogre and FF Tatics on a sale 2 years or so ago and some others, but there is still some games Im interested in, but not full price interested.

Fuck Sony.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Honestly, this is an sizeable reason I have drifted away from consoles since the PS3/Xbox 360 generation. I purchase mostly physical versions on consoles, but thanks to patches, even physical is no longer guaranteed to avoid issues down the line.

I just wish digital ownership had stronger protections...

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Honestly, this is an sizeable reason I have drifted away from consoles since the PS3/Xbox 360 generation. I purchase mostly physical versions on consoles, but thanks to patches, even physical is no longer guaranteed to avoid issues down the line.

I just wish digital ownership had stronger protections...
tbh this is just Sony being asshats. Steam and Xbox work wonderfully.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Oh for sure, I think some places handle purchasing much better. It is largely why I feel safer using Steam for digital purchases, but I just wish there were more customer protections for digital goods.

I would not be worried as much if I could easily create backups of all my games, including the patches, and have tools provided by the companies to facilitate this option.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
PSA check your Xbox account login attempts and remember to enable 2FA. For mere curiosity I checked mine and there were at least 10 unsuccessful attempts. I changed the password just in case. Might be related to that data breach some weeks ago.

Reactions: Pommes

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
PSA check your Xbox account login attempts and remember to enable 2FA. For mere curiosity I checked mine and there were at least 10 unsuccessful attempts. I changed the password just in case. Might be related to that data breach some weeks ago.
how to check this? Is this something you can check on the console?