|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Edit: all 50 games (including the 10 that come with any bundle/purchase of the trackball/knob controller) are now listed on the games page. TONS OF GEMS!
Hot little Taito arcade. Love details like the rotating screen. Well, it's far from a detail. The extra controls with the trackball, rotation knob or whatever it's called etc. seem to be among the sold separately controllers that connect via cable rather than attach. I still wish it was just a tad bigger., the screen is a 5 inch 4:3.

Some great games like Elevator Action Returns and The NewZealand Story for a total of 40 (+ 10 to somehow be released for sale post-launch or something)! Edit: it says you can add games from the SD card slot. Even if officially it only accepts Taito arcade roms it'll probably be hacked super easily for much more...
Reading into this some more with google translate, damn it's gonna be costly in Japan. There's some "first print" edition that has various extras like music albums and printed manual/art for all games to stick in the cabinet's extra insert. The cheapest basic package is like ~130 euros and the most expensive with all extra controllers (the trackball/knob controller also comes with an SD card with 10 more games meant for those inputs bringing the total to 50) is like ~380. The controllers also cost like 70~90 separately except the gamepad which costs ~22 so I guess they should all be pretty high quality arcade-like to justify it...

Last edited:
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

"poor adventure mode"

Yeah, that's gonna be a no from me. Same thing with Mario tennis, really enjoyed the gameplay, but the lack of a good adventure mode made me not play it much at all, only played the game on free trial or whatever Nintendo calls it. Not very interested in MP.

Mario Tennis had nice graphic, sound and fun gameplay from what the reviews said and what I played on free trial, but the content, especially in singleplayer, was lacking hard imo.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I figured something was up when reviews didn't come out until the last minute. Pretty glad I didn't preorder.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I expect myself to only need one free trial for Mario Golf to have my fill of the game like with Mario Tennis.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I put Mario Golf on my GameFly queue and they already shipped it out. I guess I will be playing it! I might play some Hot Shots Golf on my Playstation this weekend to get in the golfing mood (and it'll give me an excuse to turn on my PS5).

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
Regarding Mario Golf and Tennis, I think the GBA and GB Color games are regarded to be some of the best in the series. Not sure about the home console versions so others would probably know better.

Reactions: Cacher

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I cannot believe folks are trying to only focus on the $25K+ ad-space and handwave away everything else these devs are saying.

In particular, being able to put your game on sale when you want to is such a basic ask of a platform. I get there are concerns of sales abuse, but both Nintendo and Steam have dialed in their approaches to prevent issues, meaning Sony now has examples to follow.

Even with the ad-space payment issue, some folks seem think the dev wants "free" advertisement. What they are overlooking is the devs saying there is limited discovery outside of paying up to be featured, meaning it is pay up or be buried by others. There should be no harm in Sony revamping discovery tools and adding some new ways folks can find games (this would still benefit Sony too, which is what folks seem to think that Sony cannot possibly benefit from more games being sold on their platform).

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
NISA is far from the only loc house that has a strained relationship with Sony, is all I'll say.
Thanks for the info. Honestly, when they start censoring games around 2017, it was already pretty telling that they don't give a fuck to small and medium size developers.
In particular, being able to put your game on sale when you want to is such a basic ask of a platform. I get there are concerns of sales abuse, but both Nintendo and Steam have dialed in their approaches to prevent issues, meaning Sony now has examples to follow.
Yeah, I honestly think this is the biggest problem among those mentioned in that twitter thread. When big games like AAA are cutting their price to $20, most players would have paid the money for these big games rather than those small games in full price. Even with enough exposure, indies can never compete with big games at similar price.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
People don't give the console makers enough shit for discovery. None of them are good. Nintendo eShop is overflowing with shit with very few ways to filter, the Xbox Marketplace is hard to navigate and the PS Store is functionally no different than EGS, just with 100s more games.

I really think the way Valve does things should be the bare minimum in terms of discoverability.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Wait so Sony charges 25k for a blogpost and one of those big banners in the PS store? Seems like a massive rip off.

Maybe like 500$ I could see being reasonable but come on no small indie dev is paying that much wtf. All I ever see in PS store is fortnite banners and other popular f2p/AAA games. Its impossible to find and sort through anything.

But yea Sony has been trash for a while now with indies. After 2016 iirc they straight up stopped showing indie compilations at their E3 shows and then they cancelled the PSX events which also had good indie presence. They stopped giving a shit once PS4 established dominance over Xbox. You can't really fault indie devs speaking out against them. They have nothing to lose because they sell shit all to begin with on PS4.

Its inexcusable to do a 15 minute state of play solely for your big AAA Horizon game. So many eyeballs on that show was perfect opportunity to throw in 20-30 minutes of indies to lead into the big reveal. They just don't care and they didn't do E3 show either.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

“Crazily enough, Nintendo finally listened after many years, and now provide some of the best tools for devs to actually control their game,” a respected indie publisher told me. “So we can just drop a discount on Switch for our games whenever we want, at any discount level we want, it’s completely in our control. Steam is the only other platform that allows that.”
Imagine Nintendo of all companies outclassing you. Sheesh.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I finally got my rental copy of Mario Golf and I absolutely hate it. The new swing system is nowhere near as fun as the classic system and the story mode seems extremely shallow. I'm let down, but I'm also glad I didn't drop $60 for it.
Instead I spent $90 on importing physical copies of SaGa Frontier Remastered and Legend of Mana.

• Sad

Rogue Agent

Apr 4, 2019
Tropical Freeze is one of my all-time faves so I won't say no to more Donkey Kong. Bring it!

• Comfy

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
reggie: 'I'm about kicking ass, I'm about taking names, and we're about making games.'

the ds proceeds to kick psp's ass and the wii takes the names of the ps3 and 360
Looking back, both DS and PSP were great handhelds with fantastic line-up of games. Truly the golden age of handheld gaming.

Such a shame that Sony messed up PSV. Great handheld but hindered by weak first party and expensive proprietary memory card.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Hmmm, going to wait for review. Looks like no improved spec... I mostly concern about the performance of Age of Calamity.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
The updates sort of miss the mark for me to justify purchasing it out the gate.

Definitely makes me hope the SteamPal is happening.

• This!
Reactions: Prodigy

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So all the leaks and rumors of a more powerful Switch were fake huh? lol

I guess Switch 2 is 2023 or 2024 at this point. Can't really blame them with how well the current one is selling. I wonder if they can beat PS2 sales.

BoosterDuck

Goon Squad
Sep 20, 2018
So all the leaks and rumors of a more powerful Switch were fake huh? lol

I guess Switch 2 is 2023 or 2024 at this point. Can't really blame them with how well the current one is selling. I wonder if they can beat PS2 sales.
I think switch pro was real and ready to roll out but then the pandemic and chip shortage happened so nintendo said fuck it keep everything in the switch pro except for the new chip

Rogue Agent

Apr 4, 2019
Wait, I thought the new Switch was gonna have better GPU/CPU or is that one still coming?
Yeah, it's just a question of when. Bloomberg probably got something mixed up regarding the timing of release.

Regarding the new Switch with better GPU/CPU and DLSS, the SoC's model number and codename have already been leaked by a Nvidia leaker with a spotless track record so it can't be that far out, so probably late 2022 or something. The model's T239 and Dane is the codename, and it's based on Nvidia's Orin architecture. This should be the chip customised for Nintendo.

So I suggest that you wait for that one.

• Eyes
Reactions: xinek

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Hmmm, not sure where to pre-order the new OLED Switch from in the UK. Seems like a bunch of places have pre-orders up.
I'll probably go with Argos as i know SimplyGames have a reputation for allowing more orders than they're alloted and GAME only have a "Register your interest" at the moment. Decisions, decisions.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Edit: all 50 games (including the 10 that come with any bundle/purchase of the trackball/knob controller) are now listed on the games page. TONS OF GEMS!

Reading into this some more with google translate, damn it's gonna be costly in Japan. There's some "first print" edition that has various extras like music albums and printed manual/art for all games to stick in the cabinet's extra insert. The cheapest basic package is like ~130 euros and the most expensive with all extra controllers (the trackball/knob controller also comes with an SD card with 10 more games meant for those inputs bringing the total to 50) is like ~380. The controllers also cost like 70~90 separately except the gamepad which costs ~22 so I guess they should all be pretty high quality arcade-like to justify it...
Video with all 40 games bundled shown for like 10 seconds each, I guess it only doesn't include the 10 that come on an SD card with the trackball/knob thing...

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Bought two rather obscure games today. Absolute: Blazing Infinity and Culdcept Saga.

I didn't know Absolute was a continuation of Idea Factory's Spectral Souls series before grabbing it, so it will be put into the backlog for now. On the other hand, i should be starting Culdcept Saga soon. I was always interested in checking this series out since I read it on a gaming magazine around 15 years ago, The arts are bloody good. While I love steam, physical games with good cover arts are always nice to look at.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Today is the release date of Crayon Shin-chan. One of my favourite vtubers played it almost immediately after the midnight release and she played it for almost 6 hours. Looks super comfy. Sadly the chances of English localisation is next to nothing. :flare_pout:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have confirmation of my OLED White Switch Pre-Order, woo hoooooo!
Now the long 3 month wait begins and then the anxiety of the post office destroying it in transit.
I play exclusively on handheld so having a nice screen is tempting. The thing is I had paid for two Switches already:face-without-mouth:

So a new model has to be a bigger update before I jump in again, like a performance boost to Age of Calamity.

Reactions: Rogue Agent

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
The slightly bigger OLED screen is actually the selling point for me as it'll mean i'm more likely to use the Switch as a portable. I still have my launch Switch and managed to get a second Dock a few months ago as i generally play connected to my PC monitor.

I've dabbled with the Genkithings Shadowcast but the audio output is interlaced stereo in a mono signal and the mono-to-stereo utility wants me to downgrade my PC Audio. If i can set the audio output for a session via a script then i'll do that and use MPV to display the stream as it has much lower latency than the Genki Arcade app. Playing my switch games in a window on my PC monitor with a controller while i have browser open etc is very handy.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
So I got a PS5. I havent used it as much as I'd like to because I'm up to my neck with work which saps all my energy.

But I like what I've seen/played. The Dualsense implementations in certain games is great, the 4k interface is nice (although I think it is a bit shit compared to PS4's) and everything loads instantly.

The downsides is that the console itself fucking BIG, man. And very heavy. I guess they really wanted it to stick out in any room. Also, when the physical games are installing it's loud as fuck. During gameplay it is very quiet, but when installing I can hear the disc spinning when downstairs.

I'd say it is worth a try if you're curious.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Has anyone else tried Pokemon Unite? As someone who played thousands of hours of Dota 2, it's extremely nice to play a casual MOBA that doesn't make me want to jump out of a window. Also Snorlax is the best.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Started Returnal yesterday, it is very, very good. But I see why it might discourage people from playing it given there's no mid run save.

Reactions: MegaApple

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Really baffling design choice considering how long those runs can go and how unreliable the OS’s suspend is.