|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Metroid Dread is surprisingly hard. Enemies hit like trucks and there are situations where you can get one hit killed. It's really good so far though. Mercury Steam did a great job nailing the feel of a 2D Metroid game.

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
Why the hell is Metroid Dread €50 if you buy a whole physical thing, but €60 when you just want to download it? This makes no sense.
Physical copies here are €60 too. Some shops here used to be €50 for switch releases, but since Brexit they're €60 now. I guess they don't think they have to compete with UK prices anymore.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I have never really been big on Nintendo but everything I'm seeing/hearing about Dread is making me very tempted to get a Switch :face-with-cold-sweat:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Someone over on FontGeek said their friend had made a switch game so i took a look and whoah, it looks like a cross between Monkey Target and Pilot Wings. I might pick it up myself later on.

Got to get motivated to make my OLED Switch my primary machine and transfer data over to it first though.

Reactions: Prodigy and Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Someone over on FontGeek said their friend had made a switch game so i took a look and whoah, it looks like a cross between Monkey Target and Pilot Wings. I might pick it up myself later on.

Got to get motivated to make my OLED Switch my primary machine and transfer data over to it first though.
Hey I had a Switch Oled too ! It was ordered and all !
Until I realized I shouldn't and canceled the order. So now I have no Switch Oled. And I hate the world.

• Sad
Reactions: xinek

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Video with all 40 games bundled shown for like 10 seconds each, I guess it only doesn't include the 10 that come on an SD card with the trackball/knob thing...
Video of those 10 games that use the trackball/knob and were not in the above video.

Another play video that shows the main controls are of a pretty good size (full size stick, smaller buttons?) even if the screen/whole system are still small.

I wonder if they'll do an international version and/or how capable it is after it's inevitably hacked to play games by Capcom, SNK, etc. (it has all the buttons for it).

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I have no intention to turn this thread into a sales thread, but the Media Create numbers for Oct 04-Oct 10 have dropped. And as it has seen the release of Switch Oled and Metroid Dread, I think it's a week of particular interest.

See our new brother site (we are a big family, someone is fucking like crazy) -

Comment ?
My totally uneducated take is that Metroid seems a little low at 86.798 units, I would have hoped for 100k+
On the other hand 138.409 units for the Switch Oled doesn't look too shabby, it's 100 euros more than the base model after all.

Reactions: Cacher and xinek

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I have no intention to turn this thread into a sales thread, but the Media Create numbers for Oct 04-Oct 10 have dropped. And as it has seen the release of Switch Oled and Metroid Dread, I think it's a week of particular interest.

See our new brother site (we are a big family, someone is fucking like crazy) -

Comment ?
My totally uneducated take is that Metroid seems a little low at 86.798 units, I would have hoped for 100k+
On the other hand 138.409 units for the Switch Oled doesn't look too shabby, it's 100 euros more than the base model after all.

Seems like 87k is actually very good for Metroid

Reactions: Li Kao

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Metroid isn't a big seller in Japan so my guess is that unless word of mouth is particularly strong, it will disappear from the chart in less than a month.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
It's surprising to me that Metroid isn't more popular in Japan. Cool woman in robot armor blasting huge aliens seems like a slam dunk. Hope it does well in the West. I've not picked it up yet because it sure is pricy for a short game and I've been spoiled by affordable metroidvanias lately, but I'll gladly get it when it's discounted some.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
So, how are we feeling about the pricing on the NSO Expansion Pak? It's €40 / £35 / $50 for yearly individual memberships (which includes the base NSO package), so that's basically doubling the price.

I don't have a subscription right now, so I'd have to pay up the full price even though I couldn't care less about NES, SNES and Genesis games... Maybe CDKeys will have some sort of cheaper offer down the line, like for the base subscription.

Last edited:

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Not worth it and I am also annoyed it is required to have the chance to buy the official N64 controller, which I would love to own for emulating.

I have wanted Nintendo to sweeten the pot for years since I hardly play online. Adding classic titles was fine for a bit, but to now make another tier for additional classic titles is just.... seriously....

The new tier should allow you to permanently redeem some of those classics, give discounts on Nintendo's titles, or something.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
So, how are we feeling about the pricing on the NSO Expansion Pak? It's €40 / £35 / $50 for yearly individual memberships (which includes the base NSO package), so that's basically doubling the price.

I don't have a subscription right now, so I'd have to pay up the full price even though I couldn't care less about NES, SNES and Genesis games... Maybe CDKeys will have some sort of cheaper offer down the line, like for the base subscription.
Absolute bonkers tbh

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Pretty much how I predicted. They doubled it (even more lol) and they will double it again with GB, GBA and GC titles in the future.

So will probably be around 100$ per year when all set n done. Basically similar to gamepass tho the value won't be there. They need to add a lot more incentive. Maybe start throwing in some Switch games and it should be a solid service for a future Switch pro device. Assuming they don't fuck with Backwards compatibility ofc.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I was totally down with paying $30 a year, but $50 a year is a scam. I'll just load some ROMs on my Steam Deck and call it a day.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Well the hype got to me, ended up getting Metroid Dread. (First Metroid ever).
Feels a lot better than I thought it would. The animations are really good. Very high quality experience so far. Must now get the Metroid Prime trilogy.

Saoshyant

Segagaga
Oct 15, 2021
I'm super conflicted between "wow, super tacky, who'd want this" and "I need that Leonardo one, and I need it now!" Super weird.

Must now get the Metroid Prime trilogy.
For anyone who's looking for more Metroid after Dread, this is indeed the best choice. For anyone who never tried Prime before, seriously look into it afterwards. They hold up super well considering their age, and look amazing running through the Dolphin emulator.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Metroid Dread is very good but it’s been a while since my last ‘where the fuck should I go now’ game.

• Toucan
Reactions: Wok

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Started Metroid Dread this morning. Only put between 30-60 minutes in. Enjoying it so far.

Not sure what to think of the EMMI encounters. So far they have been more frustrating than tense. That will probably change as I learn the skills to evade them.

Looks nice and pretty. Samus is a lot faster than the last time I played as her. In fact, the last time I played a Metroid game all the way through was Super Metroid, never owned a N64 during it's heyday so never played the prime series. When I eventually did, they where far too expensive on the second hand market. And there was no way I was touching Other M.

Anyway, enough old man ramblings, Metroid Dread has been a decent game so far.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Started Metroid Dread this morning. Only put between 30-60 minutes in. Enjoying it so far.

Not sure what to think of the EMMI encounters. So far they have been more frustrating than tense. That will probably change as I learn the skills to evade them.

Looks nice and pretty. Samus is a lot faster than the last time I played as her. In fact, the last time I played a Metroid game all the way through was Super Metroid, never owned a N64 during it's heyday so never played the prime series. When I eventually did, they where far too expensive on the second hand market. And there was no way I was touching Other M.

Anyway, enough old man ramblings, Metroid Dread has been a decent game so far.
Prime games came first to GC though just so you know ;)

Reactions: thekeats1999

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I'm playing Metriod .... Samus returns

Diggernaut bossfight was annoying, but was satisfying to take it down. Currently at Area 6.

Portably playing metroidvania is a gamechanger. Shame that 3DS has so few of them.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
Definitely not subscribing to the Expansion Pack as it is now. I'll just stick to the standard subscription. Heck, I wouldn't even subscribe to it if Nintendo actually enhanced the N64 games in some way. Maybe one day when the service has a sizeable amount of games from NES, SNES, N64, Game Boy family, etc. Sadly that'll probably be like 2025 or something, considering how slow Nintendo adds games to it.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I'm considering getting that 8bitdo Pro 2 wired controller instead of a Series controller for my controller gaming needs on PC. Thing is, I haven't use a controller with symmetrical sticks in forever, so I'm not sure if I'll find it comfortable. Do you folks with PlayStation consoles ever experience your thumbs hitting each other when holding right on the left stick while holding left on the right stick? Seems like that could be a thing.

Big McLargehuge

God Cleaver
Dec 8, 2018
I'm considering getting that 8bitdo Pro 2 wired controller instead of a Series controller for my controller gaming needs on PC. Thing is, I haven't use a controller with symmetrical sticks in forever, so I'm not sure if I'll find it comfortable. Do you folks with PlayStation consoles ever experience your thumbs hitting each other when holding right on the left stick while holding left on the right stick? Seems like that could be a thing.
I've been using the 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ since it launched and never had that problem.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
The only problem I've had with my 8Bitdo SN30 is that for some reason Forza Horizon 4 doesn't like it and controls go crazy / unusable.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Yeah, played a bit more of Metroid Dread.

The moment to moment gameplay is exactly how I would imagine a modern day Metroid should play (ignoring the prime series). I like how nimble Samus has become. I enjoy trying to figure out the boss encounters. The world is nice and big.

I still don't like the EMMI encounters, at best I tolerate them. They do add tension to the gameplay, but not in a good horror way. I think it is down to their random nature. It is not random enough that they can be on the far end of their zone. But a bit too random for that horror feeling.

Unfortunately I will need to put the game down until my replacement joy cons come. Getting drift that just makes playing the game a bit awkward.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
It's kinda comical how aggressive is the aim assist in Back 4 Blood on console.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Playing Sable, every achievement I get it rare, do people not play it?

Speaking of Back 4 Blood, they don't allow achievement when playing solo.T_____________T What do you call people that shun lonely people?

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
so a family member is looking for a Switch Lite, is drift still a thing? it's a big problem on the Lite?

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
so a family member is looking for a Switch Lite, is drift still a thing? it's a big problem on the Lite?
Yes and yes. All joycon sticks are doomed to fail at one point. The problem with the Lite is that you’d have to send the console to Nintendo so they can repair it.

Source: a friend’d newphew destroyed his in 3 months.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Cute, and there's even limited Genesis/Mega Drive cartridge versions, lol.
That said, rail shooters that aren't Space Harrier/Panzer Dragoon/Starfox often feel so wrong, I hope this one's a good one. Edit: oh, it's a re-release/port then.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
So far EMMI encounters are the least favorite part of the game for me.
Unfortunately, the same for me. I stopped playing the game after dying two times on the first real EMMI encounter ... Too much dread and too little metroidvania power fantasy? I am sure that I will return to the game, but uncertain if stealth gameplay and chase sequences are a perfect match with 2d metroidvania platformers