|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah! It's a shame this is the last batch of BC games because they were so close to finish porting all the Sega exclusives that did not get re-released elsewhere.
Still, what a great initiative that was. It legit brought me into the Xbox ecosystem. I was a PS3 guy in the 7th gen and it pissed me so much to not be able to bring all my games to my PS4.
Wait, they said this was the last bc games they would do?

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I was thinking of getting a cheap copy of MHGU for Switch because I’m in the mood for some hunting but then I remembered I’d have to also shell out more money for NSO… Paid online needs to go in this day and age…

• Sad
Reactions: Arc

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
I remember at launch the Switch pro controller was less than positve recived, does anyone remember the issues and if the moder revisions fixed them?
There doesn't seem to be a definitive confirmation on whether the issues have been fixed in the newer models. Your best bet if someone who has the newer models confirms that they don't have those issues anymore.

One major issue was the d-pad where it was registering wrong inputs e.g. when you press up on the d-pad, it may register as left/right.

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
There doesn't seem to be a definitive confirmation on whether the issues have been fixed in the newer models. Your best bet if someone who has the newer models confirms that they don't have those issues anymore.

One major issue was the d-pad where it was registering wrong inputs e.g. when you press up on the d-pad, it may register as left/right.
I can confirm that the dpad is still finicky on one of the latest revisions. It was especially noticeable in Pacman 99. Other than that, the controller works pretty well.

If you need a good dpad, I'd go for an 8bitdo controller or one of those adapters that allow you to connect other types of controllers to the Switch.

Reactions: Rogue Agent

OSatan

OFather OSun

I can confirm that the dpad is still finicky on one of the latest revisions. It was especially noticeable in Pacman 99. Other than that, the controller works pretty well.

If you need a good dpad, I'd go for an 8bitdo controller or one of those adapters that allow you to connect other types of controllers to the Switch.
Thanks, I went with a Dualsense but a friend of mine needs switch compat and yeah it seems the 8bitdo pro 2 or the adapter is the better way.

Reactions: pinson

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
So I've just bought Ridge Racer 6 on Xbox and I've just noticed the insane amount of DLC for it that is hidden on the Xbox 360 Marketplace. I can't believe I'll have to claim every one of those 50+ items individually on that slow as molasse website. I don't know why MS is unable to properly update their whole store backend instead of just modernizing parts of it... :(

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I expect you Radiohead fans already know but in case you were feeling a bit too cheerful Radiohead have a thingy on EGS/Mac and PS5. Enjoy.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Can’t tell if that’s a dig at Radiohead being gloomy or only being on EGS on PC but it works either way 😭

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I picked up the physical JP Deathsmiles collection, one of my favorite shmups. :blobmorning2:

Thought about picking up Mario Party Super Stars for nostalgia, but found out it is only 5 boards, is that right? No unlocks or anything hidden? :confounded-face:

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I suppose it fits here? Just had an email from Google saying my Stadia Controlelr/Chromecast Pro? bundle i got for £22 has been delayed so they refunded me the delivery cost, which is nice. They must have been more popular than i thought. I suspect many bought it for the controller alone tho.

I kinda did.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Hey, we're trying to cancel a PS subscription that auto renewed today because we forgot to turn it off and the cancel sub instructions page only shows how to turn off auto renew (done) and the support chat bot after all the steps directs us to live chat which after passing all the checks insta-blocks us before we say anything or give our ticket number from the bot, what's up with that? Any tips? Already messaged Ask PlayStation on twitter, no response yet.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Seriously? That can't be legal, right? I mean it states you have the right to cancel and get a refund with possibly substracted sum for how long you did use it within 14 days or something like that. Why isn't there a shitstorm if they're blocking people from using this consistently enough to have that opinion of them?

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Man, I really need to think of a game to play on PS5. It's been off for months.

Maybe a Miles replay
Have you played Demon's Souls yet? I finally got around to playing it, and it's a fantastic remake.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com

Maybe a Miles replay
Kena
Ghost of Tsushima DLC
Its never a bad idea to replay a Dark Souls games. They really do age like fine wine.

I already replayed 1 and 3 a few months ago. Gonna do DS2 and Bloodborne before ER releases.
Speaking of PS5, Demon's Souls is good, but not great. Feels dated even with the makeover. Maybe I should have tried a mage build instead of holy knight.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Did anyone else get a Switch year in review email?

Apparently I played my Switch 406 hours this year. I could barely tell you what I spent it on.

Maybe a Miles replay
I rented Kena: Bridge of Spirits and played it for about 2 hours before sending it back. At least Horizon comes out in a few months.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Did anyone else get a Switch year in review email?

Apparently I played my Switch 406 hours this year. I could barely tell you what I spent it on.
Yep. 46 hours for me. I assume that counts my daughter's play time too.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
It's £2.44, i'll probably grab it later tonight if it's not an error and is actually 93% off.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Half way into the PS2 remake and I can safely call it a classic. It's criminal that Sony abandoned this series after the last game on PSP.
I still have fond memories of the first Wild Arms, still remember seeing the OG version back in the day for the first time... mind blown!

I'll always have a soft spot for Wild Arms 1. ❤

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I still have fond memories of the first Wild Arms, still remember seeing the OG version back in the day for the first time... mind blown!

I'll always have a soft spot for Wild Arms 1. ❤
I am convinced that Akifumi Kaneko will do wonderful things if he received a giant budget to develop what he want in modern days. Sucks that he is now living off with Symphogear (and I am pretty indifferent to it). Not sure if he will return to game development ever again.

• Hug
Reactions: hersheyfan

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
I am convinced that Akifumi Kaneko will do wonderful things if he received a giant budget to develop what he want in modern days. Sucks that he is now living off with Symphogear (and I am pretty indifferent to it). Not sure if he will return to game development ever again.
Ah, if only. Besides Kaneko being out of the video game space these days (as you said), giant budgets for JRPGs are basically non-existent outside of Final Fantasy these days. Even if he was willing to come back, not sure there are too many publishers willing to fund one, assuming that Sony is actually willing to let them use the Wild Arms IP. Considering Jim Ryan's heavily Western bias, this isn't a given.

But if they don't... totally new JRPG not part of an existing franchise? Created by a man whose games have never really set the US/EU charts on fire? He'd probably get an Idea Factory sized budget at best. 😅

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Managed to acquire a Xbox Series X with Forza Horizon 5. Already had a Xbox One S as a 4K bluray player so it is nice that the console OS is now at least fluid. Still ass though.

Played a bit of Horizon 5 then but I don’t think it is for me. Maybe I will get to it from time to time. Now I will probably play some Halo MP from time to time. But until I use it more it has to wait until I move into an apartment that has enough space for my OLED. And then I will use the power of the XSX to handle games such as Ninja Gaiden Black, Otogi, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

And for the future I can see myself playing more on consoles now that I work at a library. I am not repelled by the OS experience for these new consoles and can’t beat having next to free access to games.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Had no idea there's a full 3D Kirby game. It looks sweet. Is it me or, despite the similar cartoony vibe, they don't reuse Odyssey assets/shaders/materials etc.?

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I rented Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and wasn't able to play the game. I looked at the back of the cartridge and the contacts were slightly bent. I didn't even know that you could render Switch cartridges unusable considering that's the first time I've had that happen in the nearly ~5 years I've owned the console.