|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Bought Splatoon 3 today and a Switch online 1 year card, but I scratched it badly, so have to wait on Nintendo support to reply.

Other than that, seems like Mario Rabbids 2 and GoW Ragnarok are the only console games left I will be buying this year unless something new is announced.

• Sad
Reactions: MegaApple
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Took about 30 min to get the code from Nintendo support, it was really fast and helpful.

Other than that, there isn't many games on my immediate console wishlist left. Mario Rabbids 2, GoW Ragnarok and I'll see if a PC version of Live a Live and Where the heart Leads is happening.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Just realized Mario + Rabbids 2 is releasing this week in the west. I can't wait to listen to the GOAT soundtrack composed by the dream team: Yoko Shimomura+Gareth Coker+Grant Kirkhope.

Also, good reviews

• Gib
Reactions: Arc

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I'm excited and am skipping P5R for Rabbids (granted I've played P5(R) twice and don't know if I can stomach another 100 hours). Hopefully Best Buy actually delivers my game by the 20th.

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I'm excited and am skipping P5R for Rabbids (granted I've played P5(R) twice and don't know if I can stomach another 100 hours). Hopefully Best Buy actually delivers my game by the 20th.
Have fun! The game isn't out here until Dec, and I will probably have a hard time choosing between Midnight Suns and Spark of Hope. Let's see how this goes. :blobevening:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I like the camera remains fixed on Bayonetta so the summons look gigantic as they are and not switch to following the monster making everything else look tiny.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I preordered Bayo 3. I'm sure it'll be great and worth the money. 🤡 🤡 🤡

Clicking random Bayo 3 reviews and ctrl+F-ing for terms like score, lollipop, NSIC. Finding nothing. Reviewers very helpful, as usual.

Can't wait for another Bayo 2 situation, where the game is flashy fun for one playthrough, and garbage on replay thanks to terrible combat imbalances and busted scoring systems.

• Toucan
Reactions: Alextended

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Mario + Rabbids Spark of Hope is great, but if you have experience with the first game, I would suggest playing on Demanding. I did the first two worlds on normal and it was fun, but I never felt challenged. Demanding is a good challenge and I've lost a few fights but it never felt unfair.

Sounds like Platinum have got a hit on their hands.

Time to pre-order.
pfft. I preordered half a decade ago.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Excited for God of War, unfortunately only have OG PS4. Hope it is better in the performance department compared Forbidden West. I've heard from a friend who has Ragnarok that it feels like a PS4 made game that was upped to PS5 compared to Forbidden West which felt the opposite.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I completed a boss battle in Mario Rabbids and the game crashed. It's a Ubisoft developed game alright.
The game is pretty good, but I have been bothered by the loading times to get into menus and starting battles. The changing of the world map from a series of 1:1 replicas of the actual battle screens to a schematic map is a mixed bag; probably better to have a smaller map with a higher density of content, but annoying that so much time is spent looking at loading screens.

Reactions: Arc and Cacher

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
The game is pretty good, but I have been bothered by the loading times to get into menus and starting battles. The changing of the world map from a series of 1:1 replicas of the actual battle screens to a schematic map is a mixed bag; probably better to have a smaller map with a higher density of content, but annoying that so much time is spent looking at loading screens.
It's a great game, but you're right about the technical issues. There are constant frame rate drops, with the worst being Rabbid Luigi's ability where it feels like it drops into the single digits. I've also read that Bayonetta 3 is mired in technical problems too. I really hope Nintendo releases a Switch successor soon. I guess the next realistic possibility is when Tears of the Kingdom comes out.

• This!
Reactions: d00d3n and Cacher

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I bought Bayo 3 but still yet to play it, story of my life.
Same. I am trying to finish Mario + Rabbids though before starting it. At least it isn't as bad as me buying the new Fire Emblem Warriors when it first came out months ago and it still being unopened.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I finished Mario + Rabbids. I can't believe Ubisoft of all companies published a legitimate GOTY contender. My only true complaints were technical issues (I had the game crash on the final boss), not enjoying the free movement system as much as the grid (although that is a personal preference) and Bowser being the worst character in the game (this one is a fact).

I'm hoping to start Bayonetta 3 later today.

Reactions: Cacher and xinek

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I preordered the standard edition of God of War Ragnarok in august for 78,37 euros on my PS5. When I started my PS5 today, it asked my to pay 10.15 additional euros for a PS5 digital upgrade, which I paid. What did I pay for there? Should the PS5 version not be included when buying on PS5? Additionally, it seems to be possible to buy the PS5 version today for 78.37 euros? I am confused, but Sony seem to make it a huge hassle to contact them and clarify this matter

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I guess you bought the PS4 version at first? Does the PS5 have access to purchase PS4 games and it's not clearly indicated that it's different to PS5 games? Why did you pay before figuring this out? Maybe you upgraded to non standard edition but with some extras? Idk. Someone with a PS5 can chime in. That's a lot of €

Reactions: d00d3n

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I guess you bought the PS4 version at first? Does the PS5 have access to purchase PS4 games and it's not clearly indicated that it's different to PS5 games? Why did you pay before figuring this out? Maybe you upgraded to non standard edition but with some extras? Idk. Someone with a PS5 can chime in. That's a lot of €
That is a good question, I guess. I did not realize how much I paid when I preordered back in august, so I assumed that the final price had changed or alternatively that the money was for an upgrade to the deluxe edition. Additionally, the game had not started auto-downloading. I never entertained the possibility that the additional money would be for nothing, and together with the initial purchase price amounting to more than the current PS5 price.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I bought a PS5 with Gran Turismo bundled in. It was a PS4 version and they wanted me to pay to upgrade it to the PS5 version. Absolutely shitty. Do you know what I did? I gave the game to a friend who owns PS4.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Got Ragnarok today. Next console game will most likely be Sparks of Hope and other than that, I have no idea.

Im sailing the high seas for Bayo 3. Im very strict with myself in regards to console games due to their fucked up pricing and lack of trust in the ecosystems.

My conclusion is: console gaming can get fucked.

Reactions: Prodigy

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Playing GOW: Ragnarok on base PS4, holds up quite well, obviously been designed for that hardware compared to Horizon FBW which made me stop playing because of image degradation and performance.

As for Ragnarok, been 3 days playing. but from some spoilers looks like my 8 hours into the game is more like other peoples 3-4 hours. Absolutely loving it so far. Environments are great and varied, combat is improved, story and characters are better. It also (so far at least) doesn't really change up the formula set by the previous game. Which i am fine with as I wanted more of the same.

Only real negative for me is the convoluted menus for upgrading weapons, gear, adding skills and ruins, it's all a bit of a mess there.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I finished Bayonetta 3. There's a great combat system, but it's buried under a mountain of junk and annoying minigames. I'll probably go back and play through it on Infinite Climax after I finish the current slate of winter games. I never cared about story in Bayonetta, but 3 has some good ideas but the execution mostly falls flat. I will say that I loved the ending theme and it is probably my favorite video game track of 2022.

Reactions: C-Dub

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
It will definitely be a good game, gameplay-wise, and I will play it. But I am really not feeling with the bland dialogues and character design lmao.
The story certainly looks like a step down from Three Houses. And since I'm playing through Tactics Ogre right now, it isn't even in the same universe. It's not like most Fire Emblem games have amazing stories anyway. I'm usually in it for the gameplay and the waifus.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Been playing Ragnarok and I'm loving it and I'm someone who liked 2018 but not nearly as much as everyone else did. They really did improve and go ham on just about everything. The combat is deeper and has more options, the story is more engaging since it's not as heavily focused on the relationship between kratos and atreus, the performances are even better than they were (judge manages to get so much emotion through a character that is known for being emotionally stunted at best).

The game feels much larger than the previous but they have ways to help stop it from getting stale like introducing new systems constantly (I got the latest one past the 18 hour mark) and also
switching up your companions at times, some even have their own skill tree and gear system
. I appreciate this as 99% of games give you everything they have to offer in the first ~30% and then you just repeat the formula for the rest of the game. Most of the realms I've been to I still have a bunch of undiscovered objective sets which means I either don't have an exploration ability needed for them yet or have not come across one of whatever the set is yet. I think my largest completion percentage on any realm is around 45% and the rest are 20% or below, and this is after about 22 hours or so of game time. We'll see if the game can keep all this momentum going but so far it's an extremely impressive game.

Reactions: Arc and lashman

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
After experiencing Fire Emblem Fates Conquest's gameplay, nothing after that has ever come close for me in terms of map design and objectives.

• This!
Reactions: Cacher and Arc

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Pokemon is getting mixed reviews. It looks like a technical disaster. I sound like a broken record, but Nintendo really needs to release a Switch successor at some point.

After experiencing Fire Emblem Fates Conquest's gameplay, nothing after that has ever come close for me in terms of map design and objectives.
I got filtered hard by Conquest and never finished it. If I ever replay it, I'll probably play with the difficulty without permadeath so I can get used to the maps and not get as frustrated.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
I got filtered hard by Conquest and never finished it. If I ever replay it, I'll probably play with the difficulty without permadeath so I can get used to the maps and not get as frustrated.
I don't blame you. I played it on Hard with permadeath, and it was very challenging. I restarted a lot as soon as one of my characters died, but it was fun and intense. I didn't care much for the story, though, sadly.

Reactions: Cacher and Arc

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
I started playing Pokémon Scarlet yesterday. Was hoping the technical issues people have gone on about were overblown but the frame rate and stuttering is terrible. I don't care that the graphics are poor, it's the performance that annoys me. The game has some good ideas for a Pokémon game, but I'm thinking if I should wait for a patch before continuing.

I loved Arceus earlier this year and I do miss some of the catch mechanics from that.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Started Pokemon Violet, yeah it looks and runs like shit but it's quite fun.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I finished and platinumed GoW Ragnarok and it's a masterpiece that had me hooked from start to finish. It's a game that dramatically improved everything from the previous one. I don't think a game's story has hit me like this since maybe the first last of us and yet unlike that ragnarok also has the gameplay to back it up. It weaves story and lore into practically everything in the game which makes even something as basic as a bandit clearing side quest more interesting than it is in every other game.

It's also polished as hell which is refreshing in this current industry. Even sony games aren't guaranteed to be that nowadays (horizon had about 15 patches, each one fixing a massive amount of bugs). It runs at a virtually locked 60fps on performance mode and I think in my entire playthrough I saw 1 bug and it was a minor glitch with atreus bugging out into a wall at one point.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

Glad it sold well. I know people will say well duh but with the game audience that's around these days I never take a single player only game for granted.