Community MetaRPG | Hurting. Longing. Dancing to disco music.

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
So I'm about 10 hours in Xenosaga Episode 1 and boy, this game starts pretty slow uh? I don't mind the lengthy cutscenes but I feel like all I've been doing so far is running around two giant spaceships with not much happening in between. The battle system is cool though and the overarching story sounds interesting. I just wish it was a bit... faster paced maybe?

Reactions: Cacher
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I started my first SaGa game recently. I've heard a lot of good things about the series over the years.

I'm a few regions in with Urpina at this point, and I think I'm getting a good grasp of the combat system thus far. It's really the highlight here. It's difficult enough where you've having to use everything at your disposal to win, especially the Hard fights. The limited action points (BP), meaning you can't act with all of your characters every turn, or use the best abilities, combined with having to manipulate turn order to your advantage, and using status effects to your advantage makes for an interesting system.

I recently made it to the Teach Na Macha fight, which is perhaps the best one so far. I feel like it's a solid check against your understanding of several mechanics. Using disable spells (Sleep) to handle overwhelming numbers, prevent (Stun) or brace (Protect) against devastating AoE incantations, reading the tips to effectively use attack types, using Poison against high HP creatures -- Macha's Toy, and general timeline manipulation (Delay especially).

Does anyone have any RPG plans for the holidays?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Playing No Man’s Sky reminded me of the big question. Why the fuck don’t we have Space Crpg, like Space Op or maybe Space Fantasy ?
There were rumors about Owlcat doing Starfinder. Better be true :disapproval-blob:

• This!
Reactions: pinson

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
No RPGs plans for the moment, been on too much of a Halo and racing game kick. But I do love Scarlet Grace. I played the Uprina route too and it was a lot of fun. I love how stylish this game is. I'd have done another route but my backlog list is way too big for replays of recently played games to occur.

Here's the video I recorded of my final boss fight. Don't watch it til you're at the end though. I was impressed with how well things came together to beat him, but apparently with the order of the quests you do there's a hidden value that determines 4 different difficulties the boss can have.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Playing No Man’s Sky reminded me of the big question. Why the fuck don’t we have Space Crpg, like Space Op or maybe Space Fantasy ?
There were rumors about Owlcat doing Starfinder. Better be true :disapproval-blob:
There are a few good older ones:

Star Control 1 & 2

Planet's Edge

Starflight

That said, I agree it hasn't been explored very well recently. I certainly enjoyed Mass Effect for its first two entries, but then BioWare went full EA.

I am really looking forward to Space Wreck, but it's going for something more like Fallout.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Star Control II is a classic everyone must play at least once.

SaGa Scarlet Grace is a classic everyone must play at least once.

Speaking of SaGa, I was tinkering with my PS2 on the weekend and the Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song OP track is a banger.

I'll try to finish at least one from this list.

Reactions: Cacher and Li Kao

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Star Control II is a classic everyone must play at least once.

SaGa Scarlet Grace is a classic everyone must play at least once.

Speaking of SaGa, I was tinkering with my PS2 on the weekend and the Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song OP track is a banger.

I'll try to finish at least one from this list.

Such a pity there's no English version of Wild Arms 2...

• Sad
Reactions: Kvik

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have sunk 10 hours into Wild Arms Alter Code F already. I am taking it in slowly and surely. The writing is really good.
In the first village, our protagonist Rudy saved a village kid but other villagers were terrified by him because he was wielding an ancient weapon that is known to bring destruction. Before the event they are friendly and grateful, but they did a 180 and decided to ask Rudy to leave. If you come back to the village after progressing the main story, their dialogues changed and continued talking shitty stuff about event in other places.
I can literally feel my blood was slowly rising to the brain. These dialogues feel painfully human, thus making them very impactful.

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
About to (finally) finish Xenosaga Episode 1 (I'm at the last dungeon). Then after that I'll probably try out the FF1 pixel remaster.
Should be fun! My last playthrough of that game was on GBA in like 2005 lol

In other news, I'm supposed to receive my Bitmap Books JRPG compendium thingy today. Really looking forward to checking that out!

• Gib
Reactions: Li Kao

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
Alright, after spending half a day finishing the final dungeon, I've finally completed Xenosaga Episode 1. My thoughts:

The good:
  • The battle system was really cool. The boosting mechanic combined with the event slot forced you to plan your turns ahead so your enemies wouldn't end up getting the critical bonuses. It helped to keep you engaged in your fights as opposed to just having to mash circle button for 30+ hours.
  • The tech system was a net improvement from Xenogears. You had way more control on which abilities you wanted to level up. The AGWS system was also an interesting way of integrating the mechs into the normal battle system.
  • Even though I have a lot of criticism for the story (as I shall describe below), I still think that the main plot is pretty interesting. There's a lot of mystery to it and I liked all the nods to Xenogears (the Zohar, the little girl that looks like Elly...). Shion is an actually pretty likable main character which seems to have quite the backstory.

The less good:
  • Most of the rest of the cast is pretty meh honestly. Ziggy is relevant for like 2 hours in the story at the beginning. Chaos is... someone? MOMO is a bit too "classic jrpg trope of the little anime girl who is the most important being in the universe but is innocently unaware of it". Jr is okay I guess, he's the most original of them all. And KOS-MOS is a promising character that unfortunately gets like 15 total lines of dialogue in the game. Which brings me to my second point...
  • I get that this was built as a trilogy (and even more than that originally), but holy crap does nothing get resolved at the end of the first game. There are way too many "nonono, you are not ready to know yet" moments and it makes staying interested in the plot difficult. I still have no clue who Albedo is, or who the orange haired girl in the encephalon is, or what happened on Miltia, or the goal of the gnosis, or the purpose of the Zohar, and I could keep going on. I'd like to know for sure, but knowing that the second game has a very bad reputation it's gonna be difficult to gather the motivation to keep going.
  • That final dungeon was a pain (the enemies had so much HP holy crap) and the final boss was one of those "I have an attack that will one-shot your party that I might use or not, who knows" kind of monster.

EDIT: And I forgot to say: this game REALLY needed at least one boss theme. Every fight in the game (except for the final boss) had the exact same battle theme. I mean sure the song was good, but goddamn lol

EDIT 2: I'm relistening to the OST right now and it's a shame that you barely hear most of these songs because they're excellent. It makes you wonder why the decision to have absolutely no music in any of the dungeons/spaceships/towns/etc was taken.

Reason: more to say
Last edited:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I think I’ll tackle Sorcery part 2 over the holidays. I was a bit cold on the first chapter initially, but then I got roped into saving an orc princess from some goblins and it came together quite nicely. The second chapter is apparently a bit longer and all takes place in a city. Sounds cool.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Does this belong here?
Free Gothic II Total Conversion - Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam.

I saw it this morning. Tempted but I haven't even played Gothic 2 haha. I played a tiny bit of it a long time ago but dropped it because it was even more difficult than Gothic 1.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
After only 4 attempts I am finally clicking with Bloodborne. Just needed to stick to a strength build instead of pivoting to a dex build. The axe remains lots of fun.

All the way to the Forbidden Woods now and that area is not fun. Like, probably top 5 least favorite areas in the series

Reactions: Cacher and pinson

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
After only 4 attempts I am finally clicking with Bloodborne. Just needed to stick to a strength build instead of pivoting to a dex build. The axe remains lots of fun.

All the way to the Forbidden Woods now and that area is not fun. Like, probably top 5 least favorite areas in the series
Yeah it took me a while to click with BB too. The absolutely brutal beginning of the game doesn't help to be honest lol. But once I did click, it was smooth sailing from there.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019

Yes, that area is really tough. It's not up there with bullshit levels like Blighttown or Ritual Path, but it's not terrible once you work it out. It's actually pretty fun if you summon.

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
I think it's time to check out Pokemon Blue again after a couple decades.

The series that defined my childhood!
I remember all those summer days being with my pals in the backstreet behind my home, sitting on a bench and playing Pokémon for hours. Good times!

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018

I finished Pokemon Blue a couple weeks ago. It was nice to revisit it after so long, and make good use of my Pocket. Tauros with Hyper Beam is pretty ridiculous. I made a point to use some Pokemon I didn't use very often (Poliwrath, Magneton, Tauros, Dodrio, etc.).

I also just finished SaGa: Scarlet Grace (as Urpina). This was my first SaGa game, and I enjoyed it. More than I thought I would.

The combat system is pretty addictive. For something that is essentially a character-ordered list executed in a phase, it works pretty well. It would all be for naught though if the difficulty didn't consistently stay just hard enough where you're motivated to obtain any advantage you can. Sparking skills, upgrading your equipment, and recruiting new characters is enjoyable because of the combat. I generally dislike enemy-scaling, especially when world consistency and immersion are priorities, but it works well here.

The world, quests, and writing generally make a poor first impression. It all feels very... simple. That said, as I kept playing it started to grow on me. There is a charm to its presentation. Over time you can start to see some world reactivity of earlier events to tell a story. The dam collapsing followed by an invasion of crabs when I returned later, and then re-building one of the damaged towns. I suspect this would be even more pronounced on subsequent playthroughs. I find Mondo's cryptid obsession pretty hilarious. His reaction's during the Bigfoot hunt, and the cursed jar quest were great. The Wishing Tree quest was fun as well.

I swapped around the companions a lot, but I eventually settled on using Urpina, Mondo, Ogniana, Elysed, Lewis Darling, Kahn, Tissisaaq, and Camelia/Tsubaki. Dual-wielding is very powerful. I need to step into a giant cocoon myself. I gravitate towards spears a lot in other games, and they're good here. For the most part I used everything except clubs, which I gave up on when I stopped using Beatrice. Urpina + Ogniana were my early powerhouses. I used the Momentum formation most of the time.

I'm done with Scarlet Grace for now, but this has left me interested in exploring more of the series. Maybe SaGa I next to play on my Pocket.

FunnyJay