Community MetaSteam | April 2019 - "Objection!" the One Finger Fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
So first of all good job and it's sound and informative buuuut for who exactly is it?
I have a feeling that people who will read it are already more or less informed and it will not reach people who obviously have an agenda.

I mean, those "journalists" that are obviously not bought won't read this and say "oh, i see, i was wrong with my assumptions! the steam zealots are not all alt-right leaning all of a sudden and steam has a few good features that epic obviously lacks!"; they will still post shitty articles about how bad and toxic steam and valve are and epic is just doing business!
Forum and twitter trolls you'll never see in PC threads won't read this and say "oh i had the wrong information! sorry for the hubbub!"; they will still play on their consoles and troll where they can.
And those few Rickenponys that are out there won't read this and say "Yeah you have a point, i'll join with you to inform the uninformed"; they still will be silent and just say to themselves "meh, i don't give a f and you all are toxic as hell".

but maybe i'm just being negative and in a bubble, maybe there are more really uninformed out there and it's a great idea.
In addition to the obvious "throw it at the low effort trolls to prove they're trolling", it's the same reason why people still present facts and reality to, say, Trump supporters - cognitive dissonance is mighty but has limits, and the more you chip away at it the less shit the world gets bit by bit.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Borderlands GOTY Enhanced popped up in library
I thought I would get Borderlands 2 GOTY Enhanced as well. Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

For the record, I only own Borderlands 1 GOTY (and now Borderlands 1 GOTY Enhanced).

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
In 1991, long before Epic Games was putting out blockbusters like Unreal, Infinity Blade, and Gears of War, Tim Sweeney released a strange little MS-DOS shareware game called ZZT. The simplicity of its text graphics masked the complexity of its World Editor: players could use ZZT to design their own games.
IGN at work.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
I thought I would get Borderlands 2 GOTY Enhanced as well. Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

For the record, I only own Borderlands 1 GOTY (and now Borderlands 1 GOTY Enhanced).
For BL2, it's a texture pack that you install separately:

(and for Pre-Sequel if you own that as well)

What's included:
  • Remastered 4K environment textures, including geometry and skyboxes
  • Remastered 4K characters and vehicles
  • Remastered 4K weapon meshes and textures
  • Improved Anti-Aliasing implementation, including improved edge line implementation
    • This includes improved ink line definition and framing/outline around character models
  • Improved Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
    • An improved SSAO method for more realistic ambient lighting.
  • Higher Resolution Dynamic Shadows
    • Improved quality and smoothness of shadows, especially during movement

Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS and Wok

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
The last time I can remember review-bombing was when some game had garbage security that they had been warned about for years, and ended up leaking 8 million or so passwords. How else was I supposed to voice my displeasure towards the developers and warn people about a shoddy developer?

Take to Twitter? No one follows me. Write Facebook comments? They'll be forgotten in two seconds. Send some emails to the devs? They'll ignore them. At least with reviews I'm leading feedback that can be aggregated into a number that will warn people to stay away, and possibly hurt the developers if they don't fix it.

And besides the EGS what platforms is Rami talking about that don't have reviews anyways? The PSN and eShop? I guess you could count Itch.io since a select few developers turn their comments off. But the lack of reviews is exactly why I tend to not buy anything but known quantities on those platforms. Reviews drive discovery to unknown titles, because without them, no one would know what these small games are, since the media doesn't care to cover them.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

EGS keys already up on Humble.

Reactions: Wok

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I really do hope that Humble Monthly bundles don't include EGS keys anytime soon. I'll pause my subscription.
I mean, it's a foregone conclusion. IGN head of reviews says there aren't any good games releasing on Steam in 2019, and IGN owns Humble.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if by the end of the year there are still some Steam keys in a Monthly bundle.

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
I mean, it's a foregone conclusion. IGN head of reviews says there aren't any good games releasing on Steam in 2019, and IGN owns Humble.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if by the end of the year there are still some Steam keys in a Monthly bundle.
Someone should tell him IGN's Steam Curator didn't get the memo. And ask how their review of the latest Steam hit Risk of Rain 2 is coming along.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
They'll just silently edit the main page, just like they did with Uplay and Battle.net keys before.
That would suck so bad, im fine with a choice of key but that's not how egs does things. So expect monthly go egs crazy soon enough. There just isn't that many games on egs yet, couple of months and they would have given away all of them .XD

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

I think Humble Store needs to be more clearer on what kind of keys you get. I see the Epic/Steam icon, but it is too small and the text that states what kind of key you get is not visible enough

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I think Humble Store needs to be more clearer on what kind of keys you get. I see the Epic/Steam icon, but it is too small and the text that states what kind of key you get is not visible enough
tHAT'S not a steam icon; it's the windows icon to indicate the game will run on Windows OS. Some games will show the Linux and Mac logos if they're compatible.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

I'm gonna cry if/when Humble Monthly contains EGS keys 😥

Hektor and Alexandros thanks for the great FAQ. It has been proven very useful already ☺

Reactions: Alexandros

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That and the ratings still are 80% for one game and over 90% for the other two games. Those people decrying review bombing wouldn't even be aware it happened at all if it wasn't for the extensive and easy to use viewing tools you have on Steam user reviews. Transparency, kill it with fire! Or something. Is it even still review bombing if it's at such a small scale it doesn't affect a game's overall positive reception? Is some prospective customer somehow driven away from buying Borderlands 2 or the other games because of this so called review bombing without actually agreeing with the reasons those in the grand scheme of things few people point out when they stop recommending these games? What exactly is the problem there? And why shouldn't anyone be able to not recommend certain games based on the company policies as much as the product if he's honest about it in his review? I tell ya, the reason Epic doesn't have user reviews is half because they can barely develop a functional fully featured client and store and half because we'd all see they have barely any buyers for most games, they'll probably eventually add it if the store keeps growing since user reviews are standard practice across so many industries and nobody cares about the odd occasion of review bombing other than these I don't know what people sticking around gaming for reasons that obviously differ greatly to the rest of the gaming community's. Pretty much everything Steam does is wrong for these people. And everything Steam doesn't do is also wrong of them. Lol.

How would anyone know Risk of Rain 2 is the success it is if we didn't have Steam stats in real time and all those user reviews it quickly accumulated where the overwhelming majority recommends it? Hunt for the rare press review or article (it's not on EGS so most sites gave no fucks about it) which would conveniently put it on equal or even lower footing than whatever random EGS published game? There's a clear conflict of interest when whatever so called journalist wants to put a stigma on user reviews. Why don't they rag on metacritic for having them rather than Steam? Or Apple Store? Google Play? Amazon? IMDB? Ebay? Best Buy? Popular price comparison websites? Facebook business pages? Youtube? EVERYTHING?! Jesus. User reviews are here to stay, so is Steam, get over it.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Great thread, lashman .

I finished Katamari Damacy - Reroll today. Absolutely lovely game. Great concept that is explored quite thoroughly, but without ever becoming stale. And the songs are just pure bliss:

And many more.

Such a perfect title.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
i'm not even gonna bother with it ... even the base game runs like absolute ass for me 😭
My rig manages 1440p/55-60 most of the time, max settings - so if nothing else I should be able to managed a locked 30FPS with the HD textures. Nice to have the option!

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Hmm. Not noticing any appreciable performance difference on my OC'd Vega 56. Seems to be running about the same, and I'm still CPU bottlenecked for a completely locked 1440p/60. Nice!

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Hmm. Not noticing any appreciable performance difference on my OC'd Vega 56. Seems to be running about the same, and I'm still CPU bottlenecked for a completely locked 1440p/60. Nice!
lucky bastard

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
a very, very, VERY good thread:

(please read the entire thing!)
Am I missing something? These responses are annoying as f*ck.

"Valve did the same with HL2"
"That's how you enter a market"
"perhaps Valve fixes their shitty client now"

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
tHAT'S not a steam icon; it's the windows icon to indicate the game will run on Windows OS. Some games will show the Linux and Mac logos if they're compatible.
Are you sure it's not a Steam icon?

Looks like a Steam icon :smiling-eyes:
Anyway, I don't find it visible enough

Status
Not open for further replies.