Community MetaSteam | April 2019 - "Objection!" the One Finger Fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
All I know is that towards the end of March/beginning of April, I noticed some of the biggest Twitch streamers started playing and streaming the RP servers. I think a bunch of the Offline TV people were playing it, Lirik, TimTheTatman, Summit, Sodapoppin, etc.

I don't know what suddenly drove them to play it, or if one streamer in particular started it, but they actually drove so much traffic to the RP servers that regular players were actually complaining a bit about them.
Kitboga started playing it in the last month or so which also could have contributed.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
NEWS - SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE | 隻狼

Improvements to Strategic Approaches
  • Adjusted the efficiency and Spirit Emblem cost of the following to encourage usage and diversity of approach:
    • Prosthetic Tools: "Lazulite Sacred Flame," "Loaded Axe" series, "Sparking Axe," "Lazulite Axe"
    • Combat Arts: "Ashina Cross," "Dragon Flash," "One Mind," "Floating Passage," "Spiral Cloud Passage," "Mortal Draw," "Empowered Mortal Draw"
    • Items: "Spiritfall" series
  • Reduced the Posture damage dealt by the first hit of the Combat Arts "Senpou Leaping Kicks" and "High Monk" as it was causing more damage than intended in certain cases. Posture damage dealt in the latter-half of the combo has been increased.
  • Increased the Poison build-up dealt by the Prosthetic Tool "Sabimaru" against enemies that were intended to be weak against it.
  • Increased the drop rate of "Divine Confetti" for Fencers in Ashina Castle.
  • Adjusted loading screen tips and tutorial text, as well as adding new text.
Other Fixes
  • Slightly reduced Posture and Vitality of Blazing Bull in order to improve game pacing and balance time in combat.
  • Lowered the price of information sold by Anayama the Peddler.
  • The Chained Ogre inside Ashina Castle is now Red Eyed.
  • Fixed a bug where "Gokan's Sugar" and "Gokan's Spiritfall" were not mitigating player Posture damage taken while guarding or deflecting enemy attacks.
  • Fixed a bug where system crashes could cause save data to become corrupted on PC.
  • Fixed a bug where certain enemies would sometimes stop attacking the player.
  • Fixed a bug where certain actions could not be performed after reconfiguring the controls.
  • Fixed certain bugs that were allowing the player to access unexpected areas, which could result in becoming unable to obtain items or make further progress.
  • Fixed cases of certain text being displayed incorrectly.
  • Improved stability.
  • Improved performance.
  • Other various bug fixes.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
After seeing some of you peeps talk about Return of the Obra Dinn I bought it during the sale... And I'm ashamed to say that I've asked for a refund.

I love the aesthetic and the storytelling is great... but, after 90 minutes I thought it was a -really- dry experience and I just wasn't interested at all...

I really thought I was the target demographic (I love adventure games and really REALLY liked Papers, Please...glory to Arstotzka).
I know I know, different strokes for different folks... but I'm really having a hard time understanding what exactly grabbed people's attention. I'm not saying it's a bad game... I just... I don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 113

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Gah, so many of the R6 Siege Youtubers I follow are all posting paid videos for World War Z. Is this what Epic was talking about with the "influencers" stuff? o_O

I don't care at all for this game, and if the point is to make me install client and try game, it's not working just making me cranky lol.
Yep that's what they meant. Not sure it's working tho. I saw people claiming on Reddit that they refunded the game because it took too long to find people to play with.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
After seeing some of you peeps talk about Return of the Obra Dinn I bought it during the sale... And I'm ashamed to say that I've asked for a refund.

I love the aesthetic and the storytelling is great... but, after 90 minutes I thought it was a -really- dry experience and I just wasn't interested at all...

I really thought I was the target demographic (I love adventure games and really REALLY liked Papers, Please...glory to Arstotzka).
I know I know, different strokes for different folks... but I'm really having a hard time understanding what exactly grabbed people's attention. I'm not saying it's a bad game... I just... I don't know.
It's very minimalistic in what it presents to the player. There's little to no "tasks" or "quests". You are there on behalf of the East Indian Company, and you do your job. that's it.
The fascination to me lies in trying to puzzle out what happened on the ship based on the little glimpses you see as you progress the story.
The captain killing his own crew during a mutiny - how did this happen? What brought this about? An entire ship with 60 people missing, what happened here. And as I progressed, the more I understood about what happened to the Obra Dinn, the more I wanted to complete my understanding of events. It was absolutely thrilling how little got "in the way" of pure exploration.
It also took a while to get used to the very regular "beat" of the game -> Find new corpse, hear the moment of their death, then see a minute long glimpse of it, then find the next corpse (often chained to the events that killed the previous one).
The game also opens up a little bit half way through, so it's no longer just purely linear, so you can explore the deaths of multiple people in any order you wish.

So, I can't quite understand what you mean with "dry". Do you wanted the game to give you more explicit narrative, like say if your character spoke?

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
It's very minimalistic in what it presents to the player. There's little to no "tasks" or "quests". You are there on behalf of the East Indian Company, and you do your job. that's it.
The fascination to me lies in trying to puzzle out what happened on the ship based on the little glimpses you see as you progress the story.
The captain killing his own crew during a mutiny - how did this happen? What brought this about? An entire ship with 60 people missing, what happened here. And as I progressed, the more I understood about what happened to the Obra Dinn, the more I wanted to complete my understanding of events. It was absolutely thrilling how little got "in the way" of pure exploration.
It also took a while to get used to the very regular "beat" of the game -> Find new corpse, hear the moment of their death, then see a minute long glimpse of it, then find the next corpse (often chained to the events that killed the previous one).
The game also opens up a little bit half way through, so it's no longer just purely linear, so you can explore the deaths of multiple people in any order you wish.

So, I can't quite understand what you mean with "dry". Do you wanted the game to give you more explicit narrative, like say if your character spoke?
Hmm. Well, what you're describing seems all very enticing and it's the reason why I bought the game in the first place. Although it sounded (and still sounds) great on paper, I just couldn't get into it.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I realize that the difference is that you got sucked into the world while I really didn't... I felt that the whole experience was too "gamey", maybe because of the very regular beat you described. I thought that it was too procedural/structured (not to be confused with "linear") and that fact prevented me from feeling any kind of immersion: find a corpse, examine it, get 60 seconds to analyze the scene, watch the swirly transition even though you're not finished yet (or you've been done for a while and are just waiting for it), see stuff appear in your journal, etc etc.
Maybe I would've enjoyed it more had it been a board game like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

And I didn't have any problems with the narrative style of the game... Since it's a murder mystery I think it's fine. Actually, one of the reasons I love Riven or Obduction is that you need to piece things together yourself to understand what is going on! I'm actually a big fan of environmental storytelling.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

I like Obra Dinn because it is a really good detective story. Of course, you're not playing a detective per se, merely an insurance claim investigator, but an investigator nonetheless. There is something quite satisfying and rewarding in finding the clues and working the timeline of events which led to the demise of Obra Dinn and its crew. Since you're no stranger to adventure games, surely you're familiar with how sometimes the clues needed to solve a certain problem in these games are obtuse and sometimes even counter-intuitive (especially in late 90s/early 2K titles). You'll discover none of that in Obra Dinn. The clues are very well put and logical. They're not obvious and very well hidden in some cases, which makes it more satisfying when you discover the solution without a guide.

If your playtime is only 90 minutes so far, you probably just cleared Chapter 10 and starting chapter 7, maybe? The chaotic way chapter 7 starts were so out there, there is no way people who like (spoiler - chapter 7) kaiju movies will dislike it. I can only recommend you to persist with the game because the reason for the disappearance of the ship itself is probably the least interesting mystery of the whole game.
An entire ship with 60 people missing, what happened here.
(achievement) The Captain did it.

:wd_punned:

Last edited:

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
I'm fucking loving Obra Dinn, best 12 euros I've spent lately.
It's a masterpiece honestly. Trying to learn what happened to everyone is very well made and well placed. Some of the clues are amazing.

BlackRainbowFT Please give it another shot. If you love adventure games it's really impossible to not love this. The cycle of the game is watch a "chapter" of the book unfold, mostly starting from the end and going in reverse. Then it's all balls out for you to figure with the material you have, who died, how and by whom

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Some weeks ago I decided to try check my first Origin account, from back BF3 times. I think its password was public domain already since every month it had one different login IP from a different country.

Anyway, I contacted Origin support to see what could be done. Since my account had some games that aren't available on their store anymore (The Sims 2 and Medieval mainly) it was worth to at least ask if they could move those games to my new account. And the madmen did it! Their support was super quick and in less than one hour my games from that busted account were all in my new, 100% secured account.

All this means that I'll be playing The Sims 2 later this week.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
You'd think I'd be used to bricking and generally fucking up my phone by now. Or maybe that I'd be better at avoiding it. Oh well!

Reactions: Deleted member 113

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Some weeks ago I decided to try check my first Origin account, from back BF3 times. I think its password was public domain already since every month it had one different login IP from a different country.

Anyway, I contacted Origin support to see what could be done. Since my account had some games that aren't available on their store anymore (The Sims 2 and Medieval mainly) it was worth to at least ask if they could move those games to my new account. And the madmen did it! Their support was super quick and in less than one hour my games from that busted account were all in my new, 100% secured account.

All this means that I'll be playing The Sims 2 later this week.
Yeah Origin support is truly great, I've contacted them just once and the guy I was chatting with was super helpful and friendly.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I wonder how much money Epic has to waste on these timed exclusives before shareholders go "hey, maybe this is a bad idea?"

It's unfortunate they don't publicly post numbers. I wonder if there is any way in heck they could hope to make back that 100m if true. My understanding was that most people still interested in Div2 after the news went to buy directly from uplay instead of Epic. That's what I would do, since I already have uplay for Siege and I absolutely do not want EGS on my PC.

Would do. In the end I've actually decided to just wait, and if the Ubi games never come to Steam again well then... bye Ubisoft.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I wonder how much money Epic has to waste on these timed exclusives before shareholders go "hey, maybe this is a bad idea?"
there are no shareholders ... they aren't a public company, and Tim owns over 50% still ...

investors might get annoyed, but then again apparently Tencent are very hands-off ... plus it's not like epic are losing money (thanks, fortnite ...)

Reactions: 「Echo」

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
2 days worth of selling skins, easy come easy go.
Yeah, as long as they are making money like this, I doubt any shareholders or investors care what they are doing with what are basically pennies compared to their quarterly earnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.