Community MetaSteam | April 2019 - "Objection!" the One Finger Fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I wonder how much money Epic has to waste on these timed exclusives before shareholders go "hey, maybe this is a bad idea?"

It's unfortunate they don't publicly post numbers. I wonder if there is any way in heck they could hope to make back that 100m if true. My understanding was that most people still interested in Div2 after the news went to buy directly from uplay instead of Epic. That's what I would do, since I already have uplay for Siege and I absolutely do not want EGS on my PC.

Would do. In the end I've actually decided to just wait, and if the Ubi games never come to Steam again well then... bye Ubisoft.
IIRC Epic is privately owned.
But they will be showering in cash when they drop the Avengers event anyway, so I'm afraid their Fortnite cash cow isnt going to dry up soon.

Reactions: 「Echo」

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
there are no shareholders ... they aren't a public company, and Tim owns over 50% still ...

investors might get annoyed, but then again apparently Tencent are very hands-off ... plus it's not like epic are losing money (thanks, fortnite ...)
IIRC Epic is privately owned.
But they will be showering in cash when they drop the Avengers event anyway, so I'm afraid their Fortnite cash cow isnt going to dry up soon.
Welp. Guess I'm not too smart with the corporate stuff seeing as I mix up the terms a lot. :notlikethisblob: I thought investors = shareholders, but I suppose not.

Kinda makes things even more spooky though. Doesn't that mean Epic can just keep tossing money at everything in crazy high amounts and they have no-one to answer to? o_O Well as long as Fortnite and UE4 doesn't dry up I suppose.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
ubi allegedly got 100m for TD2 ... so if that's true - i can only imagine RDR2 will cost them MUCH more
That's crazy if true. Just think, Epic in the past would have killed for that sort of money to create their own game and have financial freedom. And now they might be giving away that sort of money just to stop store selling.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Kinda makes things even more spooky though. Doesn't that mean Epic can just keep tossing money at everything in crazy high amounts and they have no-one to answer to? o_O Well as long as Fortnite and UE4 doesn't dry up I suppose.
that's pretty much exactly what it means, yes (more or less)

That's crazy if true. Just think, Epic in the past would have killed for that sort of money to create their own game and have financial freedom. And now they might be giving away that sort of money just to stop store selling.
really sad, isn't it?

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Welp. Guess I'm not too smart with the corporate stuff seeing as I mix up the terms a lot. :notlikethisblob: I thought investors = shareholders, but I suppose not.

If they start moneyhatting Japanese devs then I will really start to worry :s

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
they already have ... there is no reason to think they haven't at least tried to get stuff like RE2 or DMCV

it's just that Japanese publishers aren't that keen on doing it ... for now

it's just a matter of time, sadly

and squeenix will probably be the first one to join the dark side

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I'll be honest, I still don't quite understand how they want to make their store a profitable long-term business.
If that 100mio figure is true, that alone would require 15-20 million 60$ purchases until they've only broke even on the moneyhat (number of sales depends on which percentage you choose for calculation, 12% is their cut but it's even less if you substract payment processor fees).

Instead of throwing all that money around to destroy value, they could have used it for creating value in the PC gaming landscape.
Personally I would have founf it cool if they used that money to fund english translations of chinese games, that's certainly a blindspot right now. (Yeah I know they're not even available in China...)
But one can dream, dammit. I still want an English version of Faith of Danschant!

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
they already have ... there is no reason to think they haven't at least tried to get stuff like RE2 or DMCV

it's just that Japanese publishers aren't that keen on doing it ... for now

it's just a matter of time, sadly

and squeenix will probably be the first one to join the dark side
:( I'm afraid you're right

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
I'll be honest, I still don't quite understand how they want to make their store a profitable long-term business.
If that 100mio figure is true, that alone would require 15-20 million 60$ purchases until they've only broke even on the moneyhat (number of sales depends on which percentage you choose for calculation, 12% is their cut but it's even less if you substract payment processor fees).
It's 100 mil/60 = ~1.7 mil copies that would have to be sold, which seems in line with what the division 1 probably did on pc?

so basically ubisoft had a free lunch, and desert on top of it with people who went to buy it on uplay anyway.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
It's 100 mil/60 = ~1.7 mil copies that would have to be sold, which seems in line with what the division 1 probably did on pc?

so basically ubisoft had a free lunch, and desert on top of it with people who went to buy it on uplay anyway.
It worked with me, caved and preordered on GMG *shrug

And I'm glad I did, had a blast with the game.

Reactions: 「Echo」

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Apparently that was really underballing it too, according to a dev in the thread.
Ubi appears to be going more long term, so take a smaller sum now, and reap rewards later. TakeTwo/R* probably isn't looking to get into a long term thing with an outside possible competitor, and if they did go EGS, it's probably game by game. Could be wrong, but id be shocked.

But...I need my computer cowboys, I literally stuck with Gun since 2005.
What about the Call of Jaurez games? They have pc versions and can be found in various stores online for relatively cheap

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Ubi appears to be going more long term, so take a smaller sum now, and reap rewards later. TakeTwo/R* probably isn't looking to get into a long term thing with an outside possible competitor, and if they did go EGS, it's probably game by game. Could be wrong, but id be shocked.

What about the Call of Jaurez games? They have pc versions and can be found in various stores online for relatively cheap
Damn, I forgot Juarez games even exist, I own all of them that not have The Cartel in the name. RDR is different experience though.

OSatan

OFather OSun
I mean the smart thing is moneyhatting the work simulators, those things make bank in steam but rdr2 is a good alternative.

And no investors will get noisy until after the first year, there are no numbers to look right now with the moneyhats all the store is in red.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Honestly, the only games I'd hate to see getting an exclusive deal from Epic are CP2077, the Hollow Knight sequel and/or whatever Larian is launching later this year. As far as I'm concerned they can take all the other big(ish) AAA or AA releases, my wallet will thank them and the truth be told, judging from the first months of this year, there's no shortage of awesome games releasing on Steam every single week. The problem has been for a long time, still is and probably will still be, that there's just too many good stuff.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I kind of completely ignored Outward but I caught a tiny bit of a stream yesterday and then read the PC Gamer review and it sounds pretty great.
it is ... it's basically one of those eurojank RPGs ... only made in Canada :p

but it's seriously good!

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Honestly, the only games I'd hate to see getting an exclusive deal from Epic are CP2077, the Hollow Knight sequel and/or whatever Larian is launching later this year. As far as I'm concerned they can take all the other big(ish) AAA or AA releases, my wallet will thank them and the truth be told, judging from the first months of this year, there's no shortage of awesome games releasing on Steam every single week. The problem has been for a long time, still is and probably will still be, that there's just too many good stuff.
Larian and CDPR already said they weren’t taking any deals from Epic. I doubt CDPR would make a deal with the company thats constantly fucking over their storefront anyway.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Yes, humble bundles work in Japan, sometimes. :p

It says in the description as well:
Please note the purchases made while located in Japan will be for the Japanese version.
Purchases made while located in any other region outside Japan will be for the English version.
Maybe a JP VPN will let you have it, but if they do a CC/payment check you'd probably be screwed.

Thinking about it, it will be good if Epic overspend money on exclusives to the point therd Sweeney will say "hell with it", fire Sergio (preferably trump-style) and get the hell away from PC, forever.
Considering how active he is in defending it at every chance he gets I somehow doubt he's just gonna drop it. Nice as that would be... :cautious:

He gets really defensive about it on Twitter and Reddit lol.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
CDPR has gog, they aren't going to let EGS moneyhat their own service/game. You have zero to worry about there..

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Yes, humble bundles work in Japan, sometimes. :p

It says in the description as well:

Maybe a JP VPN will let you have it, but if they do a CC/payment check you'd probably be screwed.

Considering how active he is in defending it at every chance he gets I somehow doubt he's just gonna drop it. Nice as that would be... :cautious:

He gets really defensive about it on Twitter and Reddit lol.
Hmm I could fill up my Humble wallet, but assuming the site charges in Yen I wouldn't be able to use my wallet credit on there.
In which case, I wonder if anyone is willing to trade/paypal for it :p

Reactions: Deleted member 113

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Hmm I could fill up my Humble wallet, but assuming the site charges in Yen I wouldn't be able to use my wallet credit on there.
In which case, I wonder if anyone is willing to trade/paypal for it :p
Wouldn't you also need a JP Steam account? The keys are bound to be region locked. o_O

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Joking aside, lol at people thinking Epic is doing moneyhatting to have some instant financial gain. They are doing it for single reason - to drive Valve out of business, cutting their revenue stream as much as possible. They will make money when Steam's dead, and they can swoop in and pick up pieces of the rotten pie left.

goat

Mass Erect
Jan 21, 2019
Anyone here have any experience with ultrawide monitors? I'm looking to upgrade and a 34" 3440x1440p has caught my eye. I'm also eyeing a 32" 2560x1440p 16:9. I'm leaning towards the ultrawide, but the 32" is $200 cheaper. 4k is out of the question for now since I'm running a GTX 1080.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Anyone here have any experience with ultrawide monitors? I'm looking to upgrade and a 34" 3440x1440p has caught my eye. I'm also eyeing a 32" 2560x1440p 16:9. I'm leaning towards the ultrawide, but the 32" is $200 cheaper. 4k is out of the question for now since I'm running a GTX 1080.
I used to have a 29" LG ultrawide monitor and it is indeed great...when supported or mods are available.

Reactions: goat

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
So, I've tried to play Escape From Paradise City again, and it's still not recognizing Tages keys provided by GamersGate, considering that service doesn't exist anymore I wonder if I should contact GG's support or just use other means to get it running, I can't refund it because it has been months since I bought the game.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I don't think Windows blocks digital variants, only disc variants, which include system driver.

Reactions: lashman

bmdubya

Apr 17, 2019
Watching Giant Bomb play Satisfactory, and it looks awesome. It will be even more fleshed out when it releases on Steam in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.