Community MetaSteam | April 2020 - A Disaster Report From Raccoon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 113

Erm, No. Daikatana is as bad as most people think.
Naaaah. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:

The game is not what people expected, considering the hype built. People expected a new Doom, a new Quake, and the results were fairly mediocre.
Especially since your companions had a tendency for getting killed, and screwing your game.
But, the game does have interesting settings, different time-periods, a bizarre cast of enemies, and some crazy weapons.

So yeah, it's a fairly mediocre game, as an overall package.
But, I really don't think it's as bad as people paint it. :)

lashman one of the LiS writers is part of the panel right now.

I'm surprised by some of the devs that they were able to get to participate. I thought it was smaller (more indie?) Devs but they were also able to get some devs from some pretty big recent titles as well.
Yeah. (y)
They even got writers from old Infocom games!!!

I kept saying this for the past 2 days: guys, check the panels!
It's not just your usual "no name" indie developers (although many of them have also been very interesting to hear).
The panels have been very enjoyable. Lots of information about narratives, design choices, both about their already released works, and upcoming titles.

If anyone missed a panel they wanted to watch, after the last panel of the day finishes they will start looping the panels, and next week they should all be available on Youtube.

Reactions: lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I wish they made replaying it easier. I enjoyed my route through as Golden Deer but I don't want to spend tons of hours again to get to the second half where things diverge as a different house.
That's easy to fix, let me just fire up Cheat Engine and check this Enable Speedhack thingy...

Oh, wait.

:dana_distress:

Reactions: QFNS

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
After 60 hours i have finally reached the new story content of P5R.
And unlike P4G's story addition, this is actually good. Cool.

In front of the final boss but gonna do him tomorrow.

That said, after spending almost 200 hours in this game between OG and Royal, i can safely say one thing for certain

Persona 4 >
FE3H does have some control issues and the IQ has problems but I chalk it up to being a switch game and Nintendo knowing the franchise will sell no matter what.

I wish they made replaying it easier. I enjoyed my route through as Golden Deer but I don't want to spend tons of hours again to get to the second half where things diverge as a different house.
Oh yea, i did two routes (Edelgard and Golden Deer) and really wanted to do the other two as well because the story content in the second half is 100% unique. But the diea of playing through the completely repetitive first half two more times is dreadful

Reactions: QFNS

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Hino-Enma down. 2nd real boss and I've already clocked in over 24 hours :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:
Here's how I beat her.

Bosses feel more difficult than Souls for sure. But only because you're expected to do only very few mistakes.
Timing, strategy, weapon choice play a bigger role, too.

Not gonna lie, there's some top tier waifus as well.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
P4G still one of my favorite Vita games. Though I didn't play any of the Trails games there so maybe my opinion would be different if I had.

Fuck you Atlus for not releasing those games on more platforms.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
I enjoyed Daikatana, with the community patch of course.

I still plan to buy the CE at some point for that game. I think it cost like $200USD or so.

I put over 100 hours into the game only to get the bad ending
I remember a Civilization IV game where after 10 hours I lost the UN elections. IIRC one of the members of the council even says LOL.

Getting a bad ending after 100 hours? Thats the developer trolling you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 113

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
About Xcom chimera game, i heard hard is suggested difficulty
For anyone playing on normal how easy did you find it? Debating whether to go normal or hard myself.
You still have to be careful, but I'm not in any danger of loosing the campaign tbh.
My first playthrough is always on normal, just to get an idea for tech, abilities, mechanics etc.
Man, XCOM: Chimera Squad is great. I'm kicking all kinds of ass with Zephyr and Blueblood.
Found a pistol with "lighning hands" for Blueblood. Dude is a chain-gun killing machine.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I like how you can make very convoluted and inefficient solutions in Zachtronics games, but solutions they are.
Now to make something a bit more optimized :evilblob:
(and maybe use all 3 of the elements you get instead of doing it with just one 🙈 )

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I like how you can make very convoluted and inefficient solutions in Zachtronics games, but solutions they are.
Now to make something a bit more optimized :evilblob:
(and maybe use all 3 of the elements you get instead of doing it with just one 🙈 )
Remember my post? You have just done the puzzle #2 in it. Your solution is far cheaper, but slower.

Opus Magnum is easier than other Zachtronics game, and I appreciate this.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Hino-Enma down. 2nd real boss and I've already clocked in over 24 hours :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:
Here's how I beat her.

Bosses feel more difficult than Souls for sure. But only because you're expected to do only very few mistakes.
Timing, strategy, weapon choice play a bigger role, too.

Not gonna lie, there's some top tier waifus as well.
It seems very challenging. However, this is annoying me more than it should but why is the button to loot the same as the one to leave the mission, thus risking forfeiting the loot?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Chimera Squad:

No idea how to use Cherub (the Shield Guy). He sounds very strong on paper, but even kinetic shield baiting doesn't work most of the time (enemies tend to ignore him, even if he is the obvious and most easy target), he doesn't do damage, even if you manage to build up charges, he looses them in between encounters.
Dude needs some tweaking, like kinetic shield needs to be a free action or he needs lightning hands or something.

Reactions: Spamlynguist

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Interesting, last time I heard about it people seemed to be underwhelmed by the demo. Nice to hear.
Me ?
I still have to play the original 2 and 3 :lampblob:

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
It seems very challenging. However, this is annoying me more than it should but why is the button to loot the same as the one to leave the mission, thus risking forfeiting the loot?
You've seen it right. But thankfully you only need to press the button once to loot but keep it pressed for a while to exit out.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So I played some more Monster Hunter.

I've now spent about 20 hours playing and it's been quite the journey. This game is a joy.

I spent an inordinate amount of time exploring the Wastes now that I have access to them and the pleasure of learning ecosystems, what you need and not. It's memorization done right, everything has a place and it's fun learning what everything does and then taking advantage of it. It's a systemic game through and through, with impeccable lore and world-building achieved through both text telling and the world showing you. It's the best kind of immersion, the sort where you have to do things for gameplay reason that make intuitive, logical sense. You need to keep your blade sharp, so you do it. You get exhausted over time, so you eat rations. Some insects give you specific boosts while you learn to look out for specific plants and mushrooms that you need to craft things on the fly. This study of the world's nature, the love of it that the game instills and nurtures in you is amazing.

And how alive it looks! Everything is so fluid, there never is this stilted look to animations as they transition from one to another, everything is always so responsive and every movement lifelike. Motion in this game is a joy and the way everything moves and animates is masterful in its display of fluidity. I have no idea how many animations are blending at any one time and the way fauna behaves is dazzling with character and fidelity. I can tell this game has monstrous production values. There is still a bit of snapping into place and alignment when two monsters attack and grapple each other but even then the result is miles above anything I've ever seen in terms of unscripted, unstaged moments. It is a deeply lifelike game, which showed in a surprisingly quiet moment.

I was tasked with capturing a Kulu-Ya-Ku and I stumbled upon it in a grotto, where I found it cradling his shattered egg. Something had broken it and it wailed softly as it held it in front of him, clearly grieving the loss. It was so well-animated, so unexpected that I felt deeply saddened and bad for it. That's amazing animation, right there. This is a game that has quiet moments of wonder, where you stumble upon a herd migrating from one spot to the other, or where you feel a monster's shadow sweep over you as it flies down into its watering hole. And outside of those, the combat is another place where I'm really amazed at what they did. Even when you are locked into attack animations, it doesn't feel as bad as other games that do the same thing. It might be something about the way the camera controls, I can't quite put my finger on it yet. I think the combat's biggest strength is the visual language of monster animations, from the way they walk and idle to the way they attack. You can truly anticipate what they are going to do, what is going to happen by observing them. You can win fights by keeping your eyes open and thinking on your feet, which feels amazing.

I still have a few gripes with animation and movement, notably the jumping which is context-sensitive and the rope-swinging which sometimes snaps to the wrong target and sends you barreling down several z-levels. Still, nothing I couldn't get the hang of, but it's not perfect. So far, things were going really well. I had fought and barely won against that fox-like, electricity-wielding creature and I could only thank him for being such an awesome fight

Then Anjanath happened.

I wish I could say I had a blast hunting this fire-breathing, ridiculously handsome T-Rex... But I mostly haven't. To explain why, I think I have to begin by pointing out that fights have started spreading across larger areas. That overgrown chicken has some nasty charges when he isn't busy trying to medium-rare you. And that's where my first death and one-shot happened. To be fair, it looked like it deserved to be a one-shot with such an awesome fire-breathing attack. I could see it coming a mile away and I sprinted to get out of the way. I still couldn't make it. The distance was too large, and that's not a great feeling. Being one-shot never feels good and I'm not sure I agree with the game there. Still, preparation is key and during later runs I seem to recall I could endure his fire breath attack with a mixture of health-enhancing potions and elemental resistance meals while not being dumb about armor.

Still, that kind of started to make me worry and it's a feeling I can't shake. I'm afraid the honeymoon might be over. It feels like the game is becoming harder and while I can completely get behind needing to learn the monster's general tactics - in this case, stay close to avoid this attack more easily - the sheer amount of damage it caused left me feeling my enthusiasm seriously dampened. I can't help wonder whether this is how things are going to be from now on. I don't want to fall behind the power curve so I'll try to work at him a bit before moving on, see how climbing works and get better at the tools I have. It doesn't help that a friend told me that the game had a lot of farm and grind, which furthered my feelings of uneasiness.

I don't want to fall out of love with this game. It's amazing in so many respects, often looks like concept art and does so many things right. I think I'll try to pace myself and take it easy, spend more time doing the things I like : exploring the world, learning its little mysteries and taking my time. I've grown way past the stage where I rush a game's content. Instead, I try to experience it my way. I just hope that there's still a path for me ahead.

Thank you for reading if you have!

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Trials of Mana doing well I guess

I'm actually surprised that Secret of Mana remake (remaster?) isn't also in global top sellers just by inertia or momentum as it usually happens with each Final Fantasy game at sale.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'm actually surprised that Secret of Mana remake (remaster?) isn't also in global top sellers just by inertia or momentum as it usually happens with each Final Fantasy game at sale.
I was just reminded about it when looking for a retranslation patch of the original (that do not exist ? :anguished-face: )
It's not exactly a loved remake and they sell it for 40 bucks. Not that surprised it's still inverse trending.

Where's Collection of Mana, Square ffs ?

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

Since yesterday some of us were "trading" games currently being sold by just a few cents, here's 3 other games currently at 90% off, that may be a good use for our card sales money. ;)

EDIT:

Here's a few more:

Last edited by a moderator:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Trials of Mana is a very cute, colorful and fluffy action RPG from Japan. Plus it has a large demo that shows fun and fast gameplay.
Pretty much what the PC weebs are looking for.

And it plays well, even if it is overly simple (and apparently the AI is drooling in the catnip field, so it's good that it isn't too hard) and a faithful remake of a 16 bits story is obviously not the most riveting.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The pandemic has fucked my circadian rhythms so in order to try and fix it and go to bed earlier I have decided that until it's fixed (I feel satisfied) I will not buy anymore games. So I hope my circadian rhythms is gonna get fixed relatively quickly now. I started with this yesterday, I wanted to buy something today (maybe Fell Seal), but I failed, so I wont buy anything today.

Deleted member 113

When is the next steam sale?

I know we usually get one in June, but I seem to remember someone mentioning we should get one is May.
If true, what's next month sale supposed to be?

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
When is the next steam sale?

I know we usually get one in June, but I seem to remember someone mentioning we should get one is May.
If true, what's next month sale supposed to be?
There should be a Golden Week sale next week.
End of May usually has the Spring Cleaning Event - though that one is not that big of a sale iirc and more of an event that incentivies playing stuff already in your library.
Then June has summer sale.

Deleted member 113

There should be a Golden Week sale next week.
End of May usually has the Spring Cleaning Event - though that one is not that big of a sale iirc and more of an event that incentivies playing stuff already in your library.
Then June has summer sale.
Thank you. ;)

Sorry, but I forget: how big is the Golden Week sale supposed to be?

Deleted member 113

Not as big as the summer sale and mostly focused on japanese games.
Summer sale is the next really big one.
Thank you. :)

There's a few Japanese games and DLCs in my wishlist, here's hoping they may take part in the sale. ;)

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Upon reflecting on it a bit, maybe not canceling humble choice is the way to go, but use it but never choosing the egs keys to send a message. But still if the bonus game is egs Im not sure, if comes of as "look here a treat for you!" but someone throwing shit at me, even as free, will never feel like a gift but more of an insult.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Been playing Fallout New California this past few days. It's as good as people said.

The writing is pretty great and the story is interesting. There are a bunch of scripted events too in the main story, which is great. My gripe so far is the balance, the game is somewhat too easy since you can bring 4 companions with you out of the fault until you reach the main city. I can barely shoot at the enemies before they shoot them from afar. Itemization is also a bit weird, since you can haul the higher-tier gear and weaponry with ease, because there are so many battles at early game with high level corpses lying around. By the time I reach a merchant, I already have a bunch of high-priced items to sell. Too bad they're mostly low on cash, so I can only trade with ammos.

Oh, and since the game is set in the Weast coast, there are sandcrete buildings! Classic Fallout fans would love this.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Seiken 2 remake isn't as good and its expensive as fuck.

Reactions: Mor
Status
Not open for further replies.