Community MetaSteam | April 2022 - Crossing Spring in a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I don't understand why anyone would play JRPGs with machine translation tbh, especially Falcom stuff where "top notch localization" was part of its identity in the west.

That's more or less what they're doing though, isn't it.
Zero, Azure and Reverie are all releasing within a year more or less. Then the Crossbell gap will finally be closed and they can properly close in on the recent releases.

Though they will never ever completely catch up as long as Falcom only lets them start with the localization after the japanese release. As long as that isn't happening, the english release will most likely always be a year or two behind. Just need to adjust expectations accordingly.
Oh I wasn't aware that was MTL, well I just wanna poke around so that's probably fine too

As for catching up, yeah they have scheduled 2 releases per year so far but they have to actually manage to release those games, and they also have to release kuro and kuro 2, that's gonna be a huge amount of work considering NISA isn't going to do only Trails
Also as you pointed out Falcom shitty approach to western loc will always hold them back unless something changes so if I wanna poke around stuff without waiting ages it's either the overlay stuff or nothing.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Lashley

One more thing...
  • Eyes

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
As long as that isn't happening, the english release will most likely always be a year or two behind. Just need to adjust expectations accordingly.
Personally, I have no complaints. I've been playing at least one Trails game every year since 2017 when CS1 comes to Steam. Heck, I played 3 back-to-back last year! :flare_mogu:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I mean, it was expected, no one should ever expect anything from Atlus anniversaries in terms of announcements.

I don't expect a Persona game announcement at their concert, to be honest.
Persona 3/5 Dancing and Persona Q2 were announced at the 2017 concert while Persona 5 Royal and Strikers were announced at the 2019 concert. Since the 2022 concert is two days, I'd expect another P5 spinoff and Persona 6.

If you had said no Steam Persona game announcements at the concert, I would agree with you. 🙃

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019

April's Persona announcements are merchandise, Persona 5 stage play part 4 and the Persona Super Live 2022 concert on October 8 and 9. You'll get your game news at the concert.
I really love their concerts so I'll take it.

So there really isn't a golden week sale?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Was Balan Wonderworld really “unfinished?” the most unpopular design decisions, like the one-button control scheme, feel like things that would have been decided pretty early in development
Hard to say, but it is not unusual for most games to only come together and feel good close to the end of development. Maybe Naka wanted more time to make it live up to his vision for it, and SE just decided to go ahead and get it out ASAP.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
I remembered I played the demo and didn't feel like it was in an unfinished state. But obviously, the key here is what one (studio director in this case) defines as "unfinished".

Maybe, he meant by unfinished game, an unpolished game.

Naka said there were complaints against Azrest (a studio that had been helping develop Balan Wonderworld) for "submitting" builds "without fixing" problems, which eventually led to the collapse of their partnership.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Was Balan Wonderworld really “unfinished?” the most unpopular design decisions, like the one-button control scheme, feel like things that would have been decided pretty early in development
I felt that the game was flawed from even a concept point of view.

On another note, there's stories of Yuji Naka not being the nicest person to work with to say the least, and this tweet about who decided/agreed in removing him from the director position says more about him than it says about Squeenix (not that Squeenix is great or anything):

According to court documents, I was removed as the director of Balan Wonderworld for 2 reasons. It was done by the producer, head of marketing, head of sound, managing director, and HR."

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, given the shit Nintendo sale I suppose Blue Reflection is back on the table. Though as it's a Japanese game, it's fucking not compatible with the Deck.
That's pretty much a rule at this point.

Also eyeing...
Scarlet Nexus DLC, is it good ?
My missing Ryza 1 DLC
Tales of Arise outside of Steam because Namco is dumb

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I felt that the game was flawed from even a concept point of view.

On another note, there's stories of Yuji Naka not being the nicest person to work with to say the least, and this tweet about who decided/agreed in removing him from the director position says more about him than it says about Squeenix (not that Squeenix is great or anything):

Its also possible these other management people knew the game was a trashfire and couldn't be redeemed. Hard to know the truth without having been there. This isn't the first terrible game Yuji Naka has been involved with.

• Eyes

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
When even the head of sound acts against you as a director, I think it's a good sign that maybe the issue goes beyond Square not respecting fans (which they don't, sure).

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I wouldn’t be surprised if he was constantly overruled if they were going to remove him from the game anyway.

• Eyes
Reactions: QFNS and Tomasety

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Anyone remember Witchfire? Anyone heard of it since that fateful E3 so many years ago? Is it even in dev anymore? The studio still alive even? :unsure:

Polish friends?

• Eyes

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
That's what you call a professional blog post. When you are cocked out of your mind and seeing another reality, obviously.
People should learn to shut their trap more. But eh, maybe it's impossibiru too.

• Eyes

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, after NarohDethan intense lobbying I think I will buy Arise in place of Blue Reflection. BR is more of a it's rarely on sale thing, it doesn't look that good or interesting. Cacher was pretty underwhelmed if I remember correctly.
Buying a sub par game just for the sake of the opportunity or a newer one that received, err, I would say good reception...

And let's not kid ourselves, my buying habits are changing. Hard to get hyped about a game that's mostly red on ProtonDB :coffee-blob:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Hmm, after NarohDethan intense lobbying I think I will buy Arise in place of Blue Reflection. BR is more of a it's rarely on sale thing, it doesn't look that good or interesting. Cacher was pretty underwhelmed if I remember correctly.
Buying a sub par game just for the sake of the opportunity or a newer one that received, err, I would say good reception...

And let's not kid ourselves, my buying habits are changing. Hard to get hyped about a game that's mostly red on ProtonDB :coffee-blob:
I liked Tales of Arise a great deal, also :) Its maybe just a tad too long, but it was pretty good :)

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Never forget the kind of person Yuji Naka is
Yuji Naka interview by CVG (May 27, 2003) - Sonic Retro
CVG: What do you think of the way the Sonic games have evolved; was it a problem when one of your team members left to work with Sony?
Yuji Naka: Yeah, one of the guys from our team went to work on Jak and Daxter! As for the original titles, I was involved from the beginning, the creation of the game. The character was born in a kind of stream of creating, so I'm involved from the very beginning of the character. I gave the game direction, and I was the main programmer also.
So I was involved with every aspect of the original Sonics. Some of the details, like making a map, quite straight-forward stuff, was done by the guy who's working on Jak and Daxter right now. He was involved until Sonic 3, and after that for eight years he didn't do anything in Sega, so he was quite useless in Sega. We really didn't need him. He was really doing nothing with Sonic.
He didn't even have the balls to call Yasuhara by name, and called his work on the original Sonic trilogy "quite straight-forward stuff". Work like, you know, the damn level design everyone loves. And let's not forget how he casually called him useless too. This interview soured me on Naka forever and I'll never give him the benefit of the doubt.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Long time no see. Been playing Conqueror's Blade religiously for months and then LoL so kinda didn't have much time to visit here. Anyway, with Dune Spice Wars out (for which I was waiting very eagerly), I did some data mining and I have it on good authority what the fifth faction (to be introduced during EA) is. If you want to know, the info is in the spoiler below.
Faction name: Corrino
Faction reference name: Imperial

Leader: Shaddam IV
Advisors:
  • Irulan
  • Fenring
  • Wensicia
  • Aramsham
Units:
  • Imperial Troopers (I_Trooper)
  • Shock Troops (I_Soldier)
  • Armored Guards (I_Special)
  • Artillery Drone (I_Drone)
  • Sardaukar (I_Elite)
Proof:
Real excited since I really wanted that faction to be in the game. On that note, the game itself is really cool and it had amazing regional pricing for Poland, so I recommend it to anyone who likes 4X and RTS games.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Disappointing there's no Steam-wide Golden Week sale, but I'll look through the individual publisher sales I suppose.
Already found something

Even cheaper if you already have the Zero Escape games.

Status
Not open for further replies.