Community MetaSteam | April 2022 - Crossing Spring in a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
If they remake Gears 1-3 in some form, or just port them to pc, I could be interested in the series again. I played through 1 and 2 on 360 back in the day, but haven't touched anything newer...
Though thinking about it, Gears 4 is only on the Windows Store isn't it. That would be a problem for me indeed. They should correct that oversight too.
I'd be hype for this. Do we know what all the Coalition have been working on? 1-4/judgement ported to PC would be something I'd buy just to complete 2-judgement on pc without having to emulate the 360.
An update on the Indie game would be good too.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
There is a SQENIX golden week sale on Steam

Ugh, S-E still isn't doing more than 50% on Octopath Traveler.

Given that it's Deck verified, I'm somewhat interested, but not even remotely €30 interested -- especially since judging from most of what I read I probably wouldn't like the overall structure of the game much.

Frankly, the soundtrack is probably the one and only saving grace of this game, which was pretty excellent.
I disagree, I think the graphics and overall design are also excellent (at achieving what they set out to achieve [and disregarding some of the horrible technical implementation]). I remember even taking a video of the (many) UI transition animations in it to show around at work, just because of the extreme amount of deatil and customization that clearly went into that.

I really feel like they nailed the magical-girl-show aesthetics.

Even the combat gameplay has some neat design ideas -- though that doesn't really meaningfully manifest since it's just too easy overall.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Jesus, I was scared by the noise coming from my CPU fan, looked into it and yup, 100% CPU, what the... just Steam downloading Tales of Arise.
Steam downloads don't joke around :dizzy-face:

• Evil
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Pommes

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Yeah, I've seen the Steam client itself lagging making it almost impossible to navigate, since it was updating a game.

What's up with that???

• Sad

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
So the Kingdom Hearts games have just had a 40% discount on EGS. A month or so ago they were at 20%. That small discount (compared to the other SE exclusives) was what I was using as the basis for my guess that they didn’t want to do a deep Steam launch discount on the series’ release.

Now I don’t know what to think.

• Eyes

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So the Kingdom Hearts games have just had a 40% discount on EGS. A month or so ago they were at 20%. That small discount (compared to the other SE exclusives) was what I was using as the basis for my guess that they didn’t want to do a deep Steam launch discount on the series’ release.

oh, they'll still be full price when they come to steam, don't you worry

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

I apologise for suggesting Square might’ve actually had a plan for the Steam launch.
It's funny because as I have said a few times, it is Square-Enix who commissioned Epic SKUs AFTER the Steam SKUs were done, those were sent to the publisher long time ago so it's up to them to decide whenever they want to release them.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
roadmaps aka this is the rest of the game we didn't manage to get the time for so you actually bought an early access game without the early access label
For me it depends on the game.
If the launch version truly feels like a complete game and the roadmap is either post-game content or just extras? I don't mind.
But if the launch version doesn't feel like a complete game, then yeah, it's pretty much an early access game without the early access label.

Unfortunately the latter tends to be more common...

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I mean, they have a plan, it's just not a good one or not good from our standpoint. 'Drop it at full price with no fanfare' is still a plan afterall.
I’m starting to wonder if they even have that plan.

• Eyes

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Tropicana is introducing the first “cereal made for OJ” dubbed “Tropicana Crunch.” Orange juice on cereal. Some call it weird. Some call it breakfast. We… didn’t even know it was a thing,” Tropicana writes. “But turns out, there are totally normal people. amongst us juicing up their cereal bowls. You might be one of them!”
Humanity continues to slide into darkness.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Man, I was a huge TMNT fan as a kid.

I've been wondering where they will take Mass Effect 4's story. The stakes can't really go much higher than the reaper invasion and they already tackled the theme of exploring a different galaxy with Andromeda.

• Eyes

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Looks chill
it is! :)
have fun :)

~

I’m really enjoying Tales of Arise but fuck me the bosses are HARD
I’ve had easier times with Souls bosses, and been less resource constrained in Resi games than this!

yeaaah ... I just played that game on the easiest difficullty tbh ;)

Just some interesting sales data. Shows how well Valve's work on game discovery has been doing. And how important it is not to have manual game discovery like other shops like Epic, PS Store etc.
its also interesting how Stadia seems like a good source of income

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I’m really enjoying Tales of Arise but fuck me the bosses are HARD
I’ve had easier times with Souls bosses, and been less resource constrained in Resi games than this!
ok some quick Googling later leaves some interesting observations, namely
1) that the balancing of the bosses and resources aspect are very common complaints
2) that there are mtx to get LOTS of in game currency completely nullifying said resource problem…

• This!
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Don't expect anything from the sequel. It is very likely a cash grab from Stephen Chow, like the sequel to King of Comedy.

Edit: I would be glad to be proven wrong though. Have watched the first one over 5 to 6 times.

Last edited:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I used to love the old Martial Arts movies. Cut my teeth on the Jackie Chan movies. Moved on to the likes of Tsui Hark movies. But other interests overtook them as time went on. Funnily enough I think the most recent one I watched is the original Kung Fu Hustle. I actually picked up the DVD for one of my favourite films of the time, Mr Vampire. I might have to go through a trawl and watch some of the ones I remember loving in the past like Saviour of the Soul, Zu Warriors, Chinese Ghost Story and so on.

To be honest I blame Jonathon Ross for a lot of my interest in foreign movies. I used to watch a show he did on Channel 4 called the Incredibly Strange Film Show. It was usually on before some film I wanted to watch like Godzilla. Was a great series. Plus it was a time before Ross went all mainstream.

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
ok some quick Googling later leaves some interesting observations, namely
1) that the balancing of the bosses and resources aspect are very common complaints
2) that there are mtx to get LOTS of in game currency completely nullifying said resource problem…
While I agree that boss fights feel like a slog, I’ve never had any issues with resources. I was basically swimming in money and what else after ~10 hours with no farming at all.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
While I agree that boss fights feel like a slog, I’ve never had any issues with resources. I was basically swimming in money and what else after ~10 hours with no farming at all.
Well I don’t know what your secret is but I’m ~17 hrs in and I’m constantly skint.
After basically every major boss I’m low on resources and/or cash.
I just beat Dohalim and I’ve barely nothing left, such that I’ve had to turn the difficulty down.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I disagree, I think the graphics and overall design are also excellent (at achieving what they set out to achieve [and disregarding some of the horrible technical implementation]).
That's a fair assessment. Perhaps I didn't give it enough credit since the technical issues outweigh my overall impressions of the game. Still unsure if I'm willing to give it another go, but we'll see.
It is very likely a cash grab from Stephen Chow, like the sequel to King of Comedy.
I love the original King of Comedy. I think his films in the 90s were pretty funny. Or perhaps it was funny then because I was younger. Not so sure anymore. :flare_lmao:

Anyway, that was stuff like God of Gamblers, Fight back to School, Fist of Fury, etc. Also, there was a parody of From Russia with Love (aptly named From Beijing With Love).

I love 90s HK movies. :flare_bath:

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I love the original King of Comedy. I think his films in the 90s were pretty funny. Or perhaps it was funny then because I was younger. Not so sure anymore. :flare_lmao:

Anyway, that was stuff like God of Gamblers, Fight back to School, Fist of Fury, etc. Also, there was a parody of From Russia with Love (aptly named From Beijing With Love).

I love 90s HK movies. :flare_bath:
Great to hear. Nope, many of his old movies were hilarious. Watched them for numerous times haha. From Beijing with Love was awesome. :cat-heart-blob:

• Eyes

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019

Humanity continues to slide into darkness.
What in the everliving fuckity fuck possessed a sentient human to invent this?

On the subject of Kung Fu Hustle, I've spent the last year or two sort of lamenting the complete withdrawal of the martial arts action movie subgenre from Hollywood. About 15 years ago there used to be legit martial arts super stars like Jackie Chan or Jet Li (or even some folks like Sammo Hung who were a tier below) and they would lead action movies. There is no such star in Hollywood anymore. The closest these days are maybe Iko Uwais or Tony Jaa and even they only get roles on forgettable Netflix fare or second lead in garbage like the Monster Hunter movie. The entire subgenre just wiped out of existence. John Woo type stylish Hong Kong cinema? Wiped out. Action comedies like Rush Hour or Jackie Chan's work? Wiped out. Even the concept of good action choreography seems to no longer be of much importance in Hollywood. You see the odd example like Extraction on Netflix but it's so rare. Very unfortunate.

What happened man?

(That's a rhetorical question. Fucking Disney is what happened.)

Status
Not open for further replies.