Community MetaSteam | April 2024 - Definitely there's no rest for the wicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Steam is the only major platform where breakout hits consistently happen. That's not to say you can't have a successful game on consoles or GOG/EGS, but it's less likely. Meanwhile you'll read about a random indie game selling hundreds of thousands to millions of copies on Steam almost every week.
They also mention how the other closest platform is Switch. Which can also have something similar happen how ever it doesn't happen nearly as often. I'm guessing that Valve should be happy that Nintendo is incompetent at times. The eShop is still a mess, but you do get some hits at times like that melon game. And you still have other games like in Japan with that one Konami Train game ended up selling millions.

So I'm curious as to what Nintendo does for Switch 2.

Also what they mention is true and goes back to the whole idea of what I think Valve was saying that it's not Sony,MS, Nintendo or even Epic that are their competition but rather how their competition was the likes of YouTube, Netflix, etc. And this seems to mainly go back to the idea that Steam is a living thing that grows and in order to function it needs engagement, so the more time you spend on Steam the more it grows. But if people stopped using or even visiting Steam that would cause issues.

While the console manufacturers do have some stuff that is tied to engagement I don't think it's to the same extent as Steam. On PSN the only thing that seems to change is their "top" games in a region list but that's about it. I don't think they even have a feature that recommends games to you and mentions as to why they are recommending them. They do have a friends and games friends are playing feature, I believe. Also as far as player engagement they do have PS Stars but that seems to be more of a rewards thing. But once again it goes back to that whole artificial thing where Sony picks the winners, since it's preselected games that Sony chooses that are part of those events. MS also has a reward thing, I never took a big part in it, but it's there and you get points to be used for gift cards.

Nintendo does have those platinum coins but that is mainly for Nintendo related games while it does get you physical rewards you still have to pay to get them shipped to you.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
--------------
I'm currently playing ICO on both my PS5 and my PC. I have PS+ premium and that includes cloud streaming. It's pretty good actually, so if you have the Internet speed and want to play single player games I have had a great experience with it. I just need to set it up with my Steam Deck now but that just seems like a very big hassle, since it's not very straight forward.

I first played ICO back in 2016 it seems and tried it again in 2017. I was only able to get about less than 2 hours into the game previously before stopping.

My eyes they heart. I know that people talk about how Japanese people can get motion sickness playing FPS. Well ICO is giving me that sickness. It's cool how you have different "fixed" camera angle which can look cool at times, but also they are just a mess.

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher and Line

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I just got $31,24 from Sony (crunchyroll user data class action settlement or whatever, I guess I had signed up aeons ago so Beltran had sent me the relevant info to apply for it all) but I dunno what to buy, lol. It's short $2,12 for a Wii Remote Plus (this shit costs a ton more these days) game bundle from Play Asia...

Last edited:

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Anyone know how to get this Tale of Two Wastelands mod for Fallout NV to install? Downloaded and installed it but game and mod manager doesnt detect it

EDIT: Fuck this, just deleted it and uninstalled
I used this guide. Worked perfectly and didn't take too terribly long. The worst part was installing the mods one by one, just because it was kind of tedious.

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
I used this guide. Worked perfectly and didn't take too terribly long. The worst part was installing the mods one by one, just because it was kind of tedious.
Goot it sorted now, I didnt select TTW in mod organizer

Cheers mate!

• Comfy
Reactions: xinek

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Tale of Two Wastelands sounds kinda fascinating, damn. Makes me wanna replay them.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
The German translation of those is also really good.

However, the best German localization of anything in my experience (admittedly, I stopped consuming German versions of anything available in English ~2 decades ago) are the Donald Duck Comics by Carl Barks localized by Dr. Erika Fuchs.

Fun fact: I started rereading all of them last summer. Currently up to "The Truth". Such a great series (especially the Witches and Watch sub-series).
Also, these are some of the last books I actually bought as physical items (before admitting to myself that I'm running out of space and have to switch). It's nice to read those, even if it's sometimes less convenient than ebooks are.
The BEST german localization were the "sächselnde" dwarfs in Baldurs Gate.

(for any non-german speaker, it was a particular saxon dialect that gets made fun of (the dialect) in german culture (in part very mean, to hateful conduct) that has a very low standing as a german dialect. This is not a case of respected Scottish dialect dwarfs, more like Valley Girl speak)

• Toucan
Reactions: Durante and LEANIJA

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Tale of Two Wastelands sounds kinda fascinating, damn. Makes me wanna replay them.
I'd recommend it. I've played maybe 10 hours of FO3 with it, and it's been a great experience for such an old game especially since I last played it on PS3 back in the day. I haven't felt the need to try any mods aside from the recommended list in the guide.

• Love
Reactions: Paul and Cacher

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Watched Nitrorad's review of Penny's Big Breakaway;

Surprised to see him so incredibly negative, because he is one of the most positive people around... and I agree, I didn't stick to the game, I really didn't like the levels and their sub-missions, nor did I like the controls at all (even if he likes it more than I did).
This game is my big disappointment of the year... :anguished-face:
Funny to see him talk about how much he likes Steam's controller input and how flexible it can be, using a GC pad as superior to Nintendo's own hardware use of it!

Also to add my (y) to his recommendations, play Pseudoregalia if you want a 3D platformer with a side dish of metroidvania.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
huh , wasnt it supposedto be 🥚 ??

Their website FAQ implied it would be on Steam at a latter time:

Galactic Civilizations 4 was a temporary EGS exclusive so I always figured Sins 2 was part of the same deal and would make it's way to Steam eventually. It's probably one one of the last timed EGS deals Epic made.

Reactions: Mor

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Currently playing through Season 3 of the walking dead (never made it past season 2 back in the day) and I'm really liking it. Playing through all seasons consecutively is so much better. The huge gaps between seasons made me lose interest back then but I'm really glad I decided to pick up the definitive edition now.

Reactions: xinek and LEANIJA

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I need a Steam Deck asap, my attention span is dogshit and I cannot concentrate to play anything on my PC anymore.
Steam deck made me fall in love with being able to play PC games literally anywhere. Last 2 weeks I've been alternating days spent at the desk, and days spent pretty much anywhere else. Couch, Bed, Dining room table, on the floor with my cat.

I've now decided instead of building a new PC, I'm just gonna get a gaming laptop when Nvidia puts out 5xxx-mobile cards. A 4080 mobile is only 20% slower than it's desktop counter-part. And that's still 50% faster than my 3070ti. So if 5xxx series follows the same path, I'll get a 5080 Laptop and be happier than a pig in shit when I can play CP2077 with path-tracing at 60FPS in my fucking BED. Something you wouldn't even dream of just a few years ago...

Crazy times we live in. I'm very much over being tethered to a single spot, and I blame Steam Deck for making me realize this. :face-with-tears-of-joy: It's been great.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I didn't look to much Into it, but maybe it's for the best that that one Stella Blade game is at least timed exclusive for now (I am not sure if it's a timed exclusive or permanently exclusive, that's not the point) the main point is that people are upset about the censorship or something like that.

You will have those that care those that don't, but I also feel like this contains it mainly to just PS5 people.

Reactions: Cacher

Lashley

I didn't look to much Into it, but maybe it's for the best that that one Stella Blade game is at least timed exclusive for now (I am not sure if it's a timed exclusive or permanently exclusive, that's not the point) the main point is that people are upset about the censorship or something like that.

You will have those that care those that don't, but I also feel like this contains it mainly to just PS5 people.
It'll be a timed exclusive

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

I just laugh at how folks were championing it as anti-woke only to turn against it because of a couple changes as if there aren't enough tits and ass in it already.

Lashley

I have never seen any Nazi's on Steam, despite using Steams forums regularly. In fact, the absolute majority of people who respond to my threads, questions or comments are very friendly and helpful. I must be doing something wrong... 🤔
Their forums need moderating but it's just the new talking point to platform war as all the others have been proven false

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
The one outfit they censored a little bit is kind of lame considering the type of game it is and how boisterous they were about it up until launch but like...it's such a minor thing. There's still 20 other outfits in the game, I saw one where she's in a skirt and during one cutscene she does a slide into the camera and you basically get a colonoscopy camera shot lol

This is called picking your battles folks. There's a time and place to use your energy and take a stand on something but this isn't it.

Reactions: xinek

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I don't particularly care about Stellar Blade, but I do find it bizzare that they would make NO CENSORSHIP into an actual marketing point, and then proceed to censor the game from disc version to day one patch version, and expect people to be fine with that. Is this their first time on Earth?

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
never gets old:

don't complain if you do changes and people pass then.
and it's not fair promote the game as uncensored with false advertising

and then release a day one patch to censor some costumes (disc version 1.0 -> after update day one patch) and the gore is also toned down.

that said I've bought japanese and european edition. (the japanese edtition cause japanese dub is exclusive to japan.

I don't plan to call for a refund cause I don't give a fuck for that and the game is so awesome, it's been time since I didn't enjoyed a game that much, but it's not fair. I never get why this needs to be censored, there are a lot of games with ugly, fat, androgynous, ESG'd, DEI'd, CSR'd characters like Control or Mass Effect, that IGN or Resetera can enjoy, I never get why if one or two games get sexy characters they have to make that big issue.
Keep the 4Chan/Incel shit to yourself please

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
I don't plan to call for a refund cause I don't give a fuck for that and the game is so awesome, it's been time since I didn't enjoyed a game that much, but it's not fair. I never get why this needs to be censored, there are a lot of games with ugly, fat, androgynous, ESG'd, DEI'd, CSR'd characters like Control or Mass Effect, that IGN or Resetera can enjoy, I never get why if one or two games get sexy characters they have to make that big issue.
I like anime girls as much as the next guy but come on

The Mass Effect women are not ugly

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
never gets old:

don't complain if you do changes and people pass then.
and it's not fair promote the game as uncensored with false advertising

and then release a day one patch to censor some costumes (disc version 1.0 -> after update day one patch) and the gore is also toned down.

that said I've bought japanese and european edition. (the japanese edtition cause japanese dub is exclusive to japan.

#FreeThePussyBones

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I don't particularly care about Stellar Blade, but I do find it bizzare that they would make NO CENSORSHIP into an actual marketing point, and then proceed to censor the game from disc version to day one patch version, and expect people to be fine with that. Is this their first time on Earth?
I agree with this actually. When something like this happens I always have to wonder what exactly the people in charge of marketing were thinking, and if they have any experience at all with how game discourse goes.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I wish I had the spare time to care about the Stellar Blade drama stuff.
The only thing I can say about it is that I liked the demo and want to play the full game at some point. I'm aware of the drama surrounding it, but haven't followed it closely.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I agree with this actually. When something like this happens I always have to wonder what exactly the people in charge of marketing were thinking, and if they have any experience at all with how game discourse goes.
They knew 100% what they were doing and were banking on these type of things happening. It's free marketing and keeps the game relevant for the longest time possible. I have no idea if the game's good or not, nor I particularly care tbh, how much "skin" the playable doll shows is all that's talked about.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
I mean, at the end you're asking for the marketing team of a South Korean developer team to be aware of the particular affections of a bunch of mostly western virgins screeching about on Twitter. It's likely something that never came to their minds because none of the adjustments seem to have been done for "censorship" to begin with. They haven't touched the most revealing, almost naked outfits, while adding stuff like underwear laces and thigh high see through leggings, and somehow people are getting mad regardless despite the fact that the devs are adding more sexualization, not less lol

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Wait, what? How is that not the thing people complain about, if they want to complain about something?

Region-locking voice languages was bullshit even in the 90s and 00s, but back then there were some technical excuses. But it's 2024.
While that is certainly bullshit either way, a lot of the people that DO complain about it seem to forget that the game is Korean, not japanese.
So everyone can still play it undubbed.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I mean, at the end you're asking for the marketing team of a South Korean developer team to be aware
Yes, I am, because that's their job. They are marketing an AAA game globally.

Conceptually, to me, this is the same kind of argument as "you can't expect Japanese developer X to deliver a decent PC version of their game". I am receptive to such arguments when we are talking about a plucky indie team, but not for a large-scale production which can easily afford to have dedicated experts for things like porting -- or global marketing.

Note that I don't know (or care, to be perfectly honest) about the particulars of what was changed, I'm just saying that someone in marketing making an active choice to market being uncensored should really be aware of the consequences.

They knew 100% what they were doing and were banking on these type of things happening. It's free marketing and keeps the game relevant for the longest time possible.
That's an interesting idea, but IMHO that fails Occam's razor in this case.

While that is certainly bullshit either way, a lot of the people that DO complain about it seem to forget that the game is Korean, not japanese.
So everyone can still play it undubbed.
Yeah, I was aware of that. Obviously it would be far worse to not include even the original voice over, but I still think that these days, if a game is published (by the same publisher) in X languages, there's just no excuse not to make all languages available to all players independently of their location.

Chairmanchuck

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
This is something that is pissing me off a bit whenever weebs talk about playing undubbed, because thats how devs intended it, whenever it comes to other languages they dont follow it and still play in Japanese.

They could just say "I am more used to that language due to...." but its usually the same people that also us the "Intention" argument...

Note that I don't know (or care, to be perfectly honest) about the particulars of what was changed, I'm just saying that someone in marketing making an active choice to market being uncensored should really be aware of the consequences.
Reading the tweet that everyone refers to seems to be more about that every country gets the "uncensored" version and no country will get one that differs from the other versions rather than the actual "uncensored" content. This whole tweet seems to focus on the "every country" part based on CERO ratings in Japan, that usually have issues with Gore (see Dead Space). That it directly follows it off in Japanese makes me think this was the intent of the quote.

Reactions: Ibuki
Status
Not open for further replies.