Community MetaSteam | April 2024 - Definitely there's no rest for the wicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It's an app you can use to access the service menu amongst other things. I wouldn't use it unless the auto dimming on Windows starts to annoy you like it did with me
Ah! It will only be used for xbox and Apple TV so it shouldn't be an issue then. Anything to keep in mind when first setting it up?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com

Dragon Ball FighterZ patch to fix issues that were introduced with the rollback update:

DRAGON BALL FighterZ patch 1.36 is now available. Full patch notes can be viewed below. Please apply this patch to continue playing #DBFZ online. Thank you for your patience.

Patch 1.36 for Steam will be available on April 19th 15:00 PDT / April 20th 00:00 CEST.

Rabbit & Bear Studios announced that a sequel is in the works for Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes. Murayama laid out the plans for it before his passing.

Reactions: QFNS and Censored

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I've been playing with my Steam Deck docked the past few weeks and Phil Spencer is probably right with regards to the future of Xbox and games in general. It's moving away from hardware and is more about ecosystem. As I'm able to access my Steam library via desktop, TV or handheld mode and it makes me want to stay within the Steam ecosystem instead of venturing outwards. As a personal anecdote, in the past 24 hours I played Balatro on my desktop, TV and handheld and I find that very enticing.

Sadly the Steam TV experience isn't nearly as developed as the desktop and handheld experiences. There are a bunch of minor annoyances that add up over time such as not being able to turn on my Deck via controller to the video feed not properly working causing me to restart the whole system. Additionally Remote Play can be finicky. I had a situation where I spent nearly an hour troubleshooting a game and sometimes Remote Play freaks out.

It won't replace consoles for ease of use, but it feels like Valve is on the cusp something great.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I've been playing with my Steam Deck docked the past few weeks and Phil Spencer is probably right with regards to the future of Xbox and games in general. It's moving away from hardware and is more about ecosystem. As I'm able to access my Steam library via desktop, TV or handheld mode and it makes me want to stay within the Steam ecosystem instead of venturing outwards. As a personal anecdote, in the past 24 hours I played Balatro on my desktop, TV and handheld and I find that very enticing.
Consoles long overdue from not being dedicated TV living room devices anymore. The plug and play era is long dead so what is even the point anymore? They are just tryhard PCs with less functionality and ease of use. They are gonna lose out on a lot of young genz/zoomers who grew up playing on phones/tablets/switch.

I just don't see how anyone can sit on living room couch these days and play 100hr long grindy rpgs. Its just not how gaming is going to be 10-20 years from now. The future is going to be mobile/hybrid + some combination of PC/Cloud.

Sony already shifting toward this idea with the Portal but they still need to fully commit and not half ass it. PS6 needs to push something innovative and new in this regard. Or just follow Nintendo as much as you can. Maybe sell a companion handheld that goes with every PS6. Sell it separately or bundle it. Take a $$$ hardware hit if you need to but I don't think consoles can continue being the same old thing. And Xbox probably won't even be around at the start of next decade so Sony doesn't need to fear competition anymore.

Ofc peole are gonna say this is not possible with Playstation and Sony can't...bla bla etc..but here we are on our near 3 year old Steam Decks playing first party sony games no problem. I mean the specs for Ghost of Tsushima seem super lite so I bet that thing will be able to push 60fps somehow on Deck too. The tech is there so the only thing missing is Sony taking that risk and doing the RnD hit.

The one reason Sony still hasn't gone this route is because they believe in big budget cinematic singleplayer games like TLOU. And they believe they need to be experienced like some movie theater thing. But these games are far and few. They take so long to make and just not as impactful as they used to be. Times are changing... these companies need to as well.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Taken from reddit

Read through this AMA yesterday and I think that this headline/article is inaccurate (if not irresponsible, seeing as the writer clearly read the other questions as well). There were multiple questions answered about the possibility of a sequel but only one of them appeared to actually commit to it. Here are the other answers:

1. We are thinking about a sequel. Murayama also left some ideas for a sequel and would like to achieve them.
2. As we have answered others, yes, we want to make it happen.
3. It would be nice if the series to have as many sequels as possible, but Rabbit & Bear members are old, so who knows... lol.
4. Absolutely! That is the aim we are working towards. We hope many players support this game.
And I don't know Japanese but Google Translate spits out "We are working toward that goal" when I put in the "moving forward" sentence quoted in the article.

The article is making it sound like a sequel's already been greenlit but it sounds like that is actually contingent on the first game being a success. Seems likely to me that "moving forward" was a translation issue.

Can't wait either way. If EC is half as good as Suikoden II I'll be happy, that's already 100% more than I ever thought I'd get in this lifetime.
From what I see there is no official word that they are working on a sequel. It's a wishful thinking.
In my opinion it is too early to work on a sequel since the upcoming game is not even released yet.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
It's not only to Ubisoft, it's for every company that sells any kind of digital media. You don't buy for ownership, you buy for a license to consume the media. that license can void for any reason...
I always took it as a given that if I ever for whatever reason lose access to my digital purchased games, I will be morally and ethically in the clear to download them from wherever I can get them without paying extra.

Reactions: lashman

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
a message to ubisoft.
If buying isn't owning then pirating isn't stealing.
pretty accurate.
People keep saying this in response to the crew but were any of the crew games ever officially cracked in the first place. I don’t think any Ubisoft games have been cracked in a hot minute actually.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Sadly the Steam TV experience isn't nearly as developed as the desktop and handheld experiences. There are a bunch of minor annoyances that add up over time such as not being able to turn on my Deck via controller to the video feed not properly working causing me to restart the whole system. Additionally Remote Play can be finicky. I had a situation where I spent nearly an hour troubleshooting a game and sometimes Remote Play freaks out.

It won't replace consoles for ease of use, but it feels like Valve is on the cusp something great.
Yeah, I think gaming is moving away from the "specific box connected to a specific screen" model. There are different manifestations of that:
  • software platforms with many different clients (Steam/PC, Monitor/Desktop/Handheld)
  • hybrid hardware (Switch)
  • streaming (PlayStation Portal, xCloud, Geforce Now, etc, etc)
  • platform agnostic service titles with cross progression (Fortnite, Genshin, Star Rail, etc)
I don't think "Big Screen Gaming" is going away, but it being the only possible and maybe even preferred way to engage with your games quite possibly is

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
PC stays winning as usual.

I wonder if the PS5 version is based on the Switch version and that's the issue there. IDK, the game isn't even out for real yet so hard to make judgements

Reactions: thekeats1999

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Just finished playing two and a half hours of the Hades II technical test, played entirely on Steam Deck.

....HOLY SHIT THAT GAME IS GOING TO BE SO GOOD. :cryingwhyblob::cryingwhyblob:

Immaculate performance, pin sharp controls, and lots of clever refinements to the old formula. Much larger focus on making sure attack, special and cast are all viable/useful in any given run. More stuff to collect, and ways to unlock upgrades. Character interactions are as awesome as ever, and theyve retained that signature Hades style.

I'm throwing money at Supergiant as soon as they put the early access up, fucking sold!

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Just finished playing two and a half hours of the Hades II technical test, played entirely on Steam Deck.

....HOLY SHIT THAT GAME IS GOING TO BE SO GOOD. :cryingwhyblob::cryingwhyblob:

Immaculate performance, pin sharp controls, and lots of clever refinements to the old formula. Much larger focus on making sure attack, special and cast are all viable/useful in any given run. More stuff to collect, and ways to unlock upgrades. Character interactions are as awesome as ever, and theyve retained that signature Hades style.

I'm throwing money at Supergiant as soon as they put the early access up, fucking sold!
How come I am not in the technical test :(

• This!
Reactions: xinek and didamangi

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I 'finished' Hades II technical test. And you know what those monsters do when you finish the technical test ? There is a seal that bars you from doing another run.

Reactions: Kal1m3r0

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
I 'finished' Hades II technical test. And you know what those monsters do when you finish the technical test ? There is a seal that bars you from doing another run.

Nah, it just stops you from progressing to the next "biome", but you're free to keep doing runs (and seeing more content every run - its the same drip feed style as the first game).

Supergiant is actually asking for five wins to complete the "testing"! I've got two atm (one each with the spear and the twin daggers).

Reactions: Li Kao

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I still hate Ubisoft a lot, but I'm really happy to see them investing in this kind of great little games again. Also nice that they are releasing these games on Steam day one. I don't care what they do with their boring AAA checklist games.
Not exactly day one, this came out via Netflix in January and then Uplay + consoles in March

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
For curiosity sake, what's the fastest you've ever bounced off a game?
I think I just set a new personal record with Nioh 2. After 10min I'm completely done with it and can't see myself ever trying to go back.

• Eyes
  • Toucan
Reactions: xinek and yuraya

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I think I just set a new personal record with Nioh 2. After 10min I'm completely done with it and can't see myself ever trying to go back.
Looking at my Last Played section in Steam...I had to go back all the way to 2018 when I quit Darkness 2 after 22 min lol. I remember not feeling it at all.

I am actually surprised how committed I am to games once I start them. Looks like I almost always go 1+ hr on everything I tried.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Blasphemous. I like edge and metal, but here it felt like the game was just speaking a different language.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Yesterday, I buy Age of Wonders 4 for 28 euros.
Today I agonize 30 minutes about what to play.
Now I'm going to launch Dawn of War 1.

What is wrong with me ?
If I am dropping that much on a game it means I am immediately installing and playing it.

If you can get a refund and buy something else. Or hold the $$$ until summer seal where you can buy a bunch of cheaper things.

If you are gonna buy and not play...then you gotta be playing the accumulation game lol.

Reactions: Li Kao

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I remember watching the Suicide Squad trailer last year and I saw that they had helicopters with glowing purple weak spots and tanks with glowing purple weak spots and I decided right then and there that the game was garbage. Does that count? :p

I have the opposite question; What is the latest someone has ever bounced off a game?
For me it was Crysis 3. I played it back when it came out. The game was gorgeous and the soundtrack by Borislav Slavov was sublime but the game itself was so incredibly boring to play for me. I got all the way to the final boss fight of the game and I'm playing it and I realize I'm not having fun at all so I quit right then and there. Literally half way through the final boss of the game. Just dumped it and never went back it. In the years since I've sometimes thought that if it had cloud saves I'd go back just to finish that one fight for the sake of saying that I completed the damn game but I don't think Origin had cloud saves for it.

EDIT: You know what, just listen to the music. It was so beautiful

Last edited:
  • Sweating
Reactions: Stevey and kio

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Lwd games are popular on Steam.

By the way when the actual game comes out, it's going to suck. Basically it seems that the game has issues and for years people have been calling out the devs on said issue and it doesn't look like they will fix said issues for the official release of the game.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I remember watching the Suicide Squad trailer last year and I saw that they had helicopters with glowing purple weak spots and tanks with glowing purple weak spots and I decided right then and there that the game was garbage. Does that count? :p

I have the opposite question; What is the latest someone has ever bounced off a game?
For me it was Crysis 3. I played it back when it came out. The game was gorgeous and the soundtrack by Borislav Slavov was sublime but the game itself was so incredibly boring to play for me. I got all the way to the final boss fight of the game and I'm playing it and I realize I'm not having fun at all so I quit right then and there. Literally half way through the final boss of the game. Just dumped it and never went back it. In the years since I've sometimes thought that if it had cloud saves I'd go back just to finish that one fight for the sake of saying that I completed the damn game but I don't think Origin had cloud saves for it.

EDIT: You know what, just listen to the music. It was so beautiful

Sunk cost fallacy is a damned thing, there were countless times I wanted to drop the game but after so much investment I had to power through to the end.

The most notable ones I can remember dropping near the end are the most recent Deux Ex games, HR and MD. Not only was I dumb enough to invest in the sequel after not enjoying the first one but I dropped it in the last level or so. They felt like someone got all the wrong lesson out of the original masterpiece and cobbled together what might look like decent enough games but are so soulless that I could never manage myself to finish them. They certainly are a product of the "dumbed down" games time between 2004 and 2016-ish, before the Dark Souls school of design really started spreading.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Don't know about the fastest but the one game that I still remember dropping was Sine Mora. Was expecting a nice fun shmup. What I got was a VN worth of dialogue talking about genocide and rape. Not what I'm looking for at that time.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I've played LA Noire for a grand total of 19 minutes. Just didn't interest me at all.

• Toucan
Reactions: dummmyy

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Part of this is me just preaching to the choir.

I saw this thing from that Icon Era (Sony focused place) about how PC has been declining in EU. I think that the information that they showed was mainly for EU and not for America and Asia though.

It was showing how sales for hardware and software has either declined or not been climbing mearly as much as consoles sales have since at least 2018.

Is part of the reason for this, to do with Nvidia and just how expensive PC components have gotten? I'd imagine that and the increasing cost of games now and also the large number of GaSS has affected people buying habits. Why buy a game at launch if you are not even going to play it and instead just mainly focus on the GaSS title you are currently mainly playing for the season.

The charts they provided didn't mention anything about Asia.

But I did find it weird how some people do think that if Sony was to make it's own launcher that it would be successful. Just replicate the features of Steam they said and it would be more successful then steam. Neither Epic or MS were able to.

But the idea of cross buy definitely would be an insensitive for some people to buy the game on PS though. Look at what MS is doing with Xbox and Microsoft Store, you have to at least admit that is a nice idea. When it works, since at least MS store is not always reliable.

One thing I thought was weird was how they were saying that some publishers would favor Sonys store. Which didn't make sense since they also mentioned that third party could still release on Steam as they are right now. But now that I think about it, in reality that does seem like a tall order since that's basically saying that devs will need to have another build of the game to release on PS store on PC. Which as we already know is a hassle for devs. And I'd imagine that they would have to pass some sort of certification test on top of that.

One of the other things that stood out to me was how they disregard Nintendo. And were saying that Xbox was dead. By the way it was not all bad and some people did say some reasonable things. So at least the OP of that post was saying how games sell a fraction of a fraction on PC

OP did mention how Ubisoft was very profitable when it left Steam. Which I'm still not sure about. Yes they made money but I'm curious as to where it came from. Was it because Valhalla sold very well on PC? Was it because it was also on EGS and Ubisoft had a deal with Epic? Since I'm not sure as to the reason. I mean did it really matter? Ubisoft ended up coming back and this is even despite one of the executives saying that they didn't need Steam because of their 30% "tax* or something like that.

But you also had companies, mainly in Japan were PC has been booming, even more than PS currently has. The whole idea of why do you even need a PS anymore is not that weird of an idea there right now since all you need is Nintendo and PC to play a vast majority of current releases. And this is not even looking at how some smaller third party games don't even release on PS at all or if they do it's much much later.

What I did thing was must mind blowing was how they mentioned that Steam was in the little leagues why PS was untouchable, or something to that extent of PS just being way better than the rest and it not even being a competition type of thing. Which is insane considering how there are things that Steam is doing that is years ahead of what PSN is doing. And how Steam keeps on evolving. I'm not sure if they realize a pig portion of that games from how much Steam relies on Users, it needs users too keep the platform going, meanwhile PSN doesn't really need that. Since part of it is curated by a staff and they choose what to show you, which has some benefits but it's not really done in a way to point you to a smaller game that you might potentially want to play.

Etc maybe later.

Status
Not open for further replies.