Community MetaSteam | April 2024 - Definitely there's no rest for the wicked.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Big issue with Sony introducing their ecosystem to PC with account is lack of support for countries in my opinion. Both Sony and MS still have limited country support so people will need to create fake accounts (like me) because their countries are not supported. And that can be an issue when something happens because their customer support is awful.
"To make use of features like Trophies, Friends list, and cross-play, you can sign in with your existing account for PlayStation Network or create a new account. The use of PlayStation overlay is optional for both the single player experience and Legends mode."

from the blog you linked – so at least its still optional unless you wanna do the Legends mode (I dont know what that is, but suppose something with multiplayer?).

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
It's so weird to see people celebrate the sony news as if we haven't seen the result of a dozen other launchers/clients/overlays and what they inevitably do to screw things up
Oh you know well enough who the people that celebrate this are
hint: console warriors

Reactions: Derrick01

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Dwarf Fortress is so interesting. I heard it's more like directing the dwarfs into doing things (which they may or may not do) rather than controlling a specific CAC that you can do things when you want to.

I'm more interested in the latter than the former. Is this new "adventure" update just that?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I can't get over the fact they're actually going to stream this through Steam. Atlus must be the japanese company with the fastest "PC turnaround" ever since Bamco after DS got ported on PC
If Metaphor ends up being good it has a serious chance of beating their Steam records
Funny story previously for P3R they did something similar but that one was exclusive to steam. It was a trailer or a stream or something that was only on Steam that was a dev interview later on they announced they would upload that video to YouTube.

Maybe it something from launch day. Devs tend to put some sort of video stream on steam to get peoples attention.

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
Nice, accepted for Hades 2.
The weird thing is I haven't gotten Hades 1 yet because I'm like who wants another Hack and Slash, but watching the technical playtest actually makes me want it now.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I have no idea if the Technical Test of Hades II is under NDA. I would hazard a no, but that's me guessing.
It's REALLY difficult not to say anything.

The weird thing is I haven't gotten Hades 1 yet because I'm like who wants another Hack and Slash, but watching the technical playtest actually makes me want it now.
I mean, it's not for everyone, but I would say you should. Or wait for a sale in case you are really undecided.

Last edited:
  • Gib
Reactions: Cacher

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
PC GAMERS CANT HAVE THEIR CAKE AND EAT IT IF THEY WANT DAY 1 PC THEY'LL GET A LAUNCHER

Some fucking weirdos about lmao
So are fans demanding there be a launcher? Because right now with Ghosts of whatever we haven't seen that. It's an in-built tool that can allow you to tap into the Playstation network (if you wish), but it isn't launching a game. The distribution still happens via Steam or other platforms.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
So are fans demanding there be a launcher? Because right now with Ghosts of whatever we haven't seen that. It's an in-built tool that can allow you to tap into the Playstation network (if you wish), but it isn't launching a game. The distribution still happens via Steam or other platforms.
Oh yeah on Era there are people wanting not only Sony games to have this new overlay but even 3rd party ones. Others want launcher because they think Sony will do cross-buy thing so they only need to buy game once and there are also standard crowd that want launcher/store so Sony can get more money and not pay "Steam Tax".

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
You have to say, it's kind of beautiful that within the span of a week we learned news of two separate third party publishers taking a financial hit because of their decision to take the Sony exclusivity moneyhat.

May these companies and others like them continue to suffer bigly and for a long time to come.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
You have to say, it's kind of beautiful that within the span of a week we learned news of two separate third party publishers taking a financial hit because of their decision to take the Sony exclusivity moneyhat.

May these companies and others like them continue to suffer bigly and for a long time to come.
Rebirth and?

Reactions: thekeats1999

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
PlayStation warriors have had to accept PS games are a thing on PC now, so their new thing to do to war is to talk about how Sony NEEDS to have a PC launcher to make all the profits (Despite selling steam keys via their own store already and doing this)

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
"It's not fair that a single platform gets all the games! We need someone to break this monopoly! It's just another launcher! I need to justify my 500€ paperweight! Why do pc users get to play online for free? Only a minority of Steam users cares about Steam features, Valve just got lucky! What can we do to make INSERT CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE GAME HERE sell more?"

Here, I summarized the average launcher discussion on Era. And trust me I did read each one of these sentences at least once over the last year (half of those in the last week alone!)

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
If you like turn-based strategy games, don't sleep on Anomaly Collapse. This game combines the tile-based tactical gameplay from Into the Breach with 1D combat à la Darkest Dungeon. There are 8 different characters and hundreds of perks and skills to make each run unique. Haven't played anything else since I bought this game, it's so much fun!

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
A 20 seconds ad for Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 was leaked on IGN which while not the full reveal trailer does confirm a few things

The game releases in 2024 and

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
I mean if there was crossbuy and that included my existing purchases from years ago carried over to PC I wouldn't be totally against a launcher as an option, but I doubt that's at all in the realms of possibility.

This overlay thing I'll be disabling*, I don't like the PS trophy system because it puts too much emphasis on collecting them all for the Platinum. And I use multiplatform achievement trackers and its annoying when there are duplicates.

*that's assuming I'll be buying anything that uses it in the first place, Sony have expertly dodged anything I'd want from them thus far.

Reactions: xinek and yuraya

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

April 17 (Reuters) - Apple (AAPL.O) has asked a judge to force video game distributor Valve to disclose business records that the iPhone maker says it needs to battle an antitrust class-action lawsuit accusing it of driving up app prices.

Apple’s federal court filing in Seattle on Tuesday said Valve, developer of the digital distribution service Steam, has refused to provide sales and commission data that are “core” to its defense in the consumer lawsuit.

The records, according to Cupertino, California-based Apple, will show how its App Store competes with competing gaming services and other platforms.
Bellevue, Washington-based Valve and Apple did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Wednesday. Valve is not a defendant in the underlying antitrust case.

A lawyer for Valve said in a letter to Apple this month that its demand for information “imposes a significant and undue burden.”

A federal judge in February said tens of millions of Apple customers could band together as a class to press claims that the company’s App Store practices have caused consumers to pay artificially higher prices.

Apple has denied the allegations and has asked the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to undo the lower court’s class certification order. The plaintiffs’ lawyers have estimated that class-wide damages reach billions of dollars.

Valve’s Steam is the largest games store on PCs and Macs, according to Apple’s court filing. Apple accused Valve of failing to agree to a “narrow” request for information about its commission rates and other financial data.

Apple said it was seeking information about Valve's “relationships with game developers and policies for game distribution,” and it wants to question a Valve corporate official about “competition in the PC game store environment.”

Valve earlier provided some information to Apple in a related antitrust lawsuit. It told Apple it has no obligation to "supplement" the prior disclosure.
In addition to the consumer antitrust case, Apple was sued by the U.S. government last month for allegedly thwarting competition in the smartphone market. Apple denied the allegations.

Valve is separately fighting an antitrust case accusing it of monopolizing the distribution of games on personal computers.
Apple subpoenaed Valve in 2021 during their Epic lawsuit spat so this is familiar territory.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
those will get delisted on GOG
i suppose on Steam and other stores too since they say "digital stores" and all those games are 50% discounted here.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Ew at Sony forcing anything PSN related on me. PSN is garbage.

Gonna have a right proper giggle when people start complaining about the trophy system being de-legitimized cuz we have Cheats on PC. :sneaky:

This reads like Apple just pointing a finger and using "Whataboutism." :rolleyes:

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
Alright, so, looks like Warren Spector and Otherside are making an Extraction Shooter now. Well, with every notable industry veteran and their studios known for ImSims now working on games that are decisively not ImSims, seems like the market is wide open for indie takes on it, now more than ever.

• Sad
  • This!
Reactions: Lashley and lashman

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

The Way Forward
An Update From The Team Behind Cities: Skylines​

Dear Cities fans,

We see and understand the disappointment many of you have expressed after the release of Cities: Skylines II and the recent release of Beach Properties. We asked for your patience and support, and you’ve shown those. In return, we let you down. We thought we could make up for the shortcomings of the game in a timeframe that was unrealistic, and rushed out a DLC that should not have been published in its current form. For all this, we are truly sorry. When we’ve made statements like this one before, it’s included a pledge to keep making improvements, and while we are working on these updates, they haven’t happened at a speed or magnitude that is acceptable, and it pains us that we've now lost the trust of many of you. We want to do better.

The very first thing we’re doing is to compensate those who purchased Beach Properties. We will change the pack to be a free addition to the game, refund it to the extent possible, and provide additional content within the Ultimate Edition. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to offer refunds for Ultimate Edition buyers. This is due to the distribution of the Ultimate Edition across digital and physical storefronts, which create significant complexities for executing a partial refund. We realize that this is far from ideal, especially given the dedication those who have stayed with us since launch have shown. We are committed to repaying that loyalty, and therefore, we will compensate Ultimate Edition holders by adding 3 Creator Packs and 3 Radio Stations which, together, sum up to a value of USD 39.99. This solution hopefully ensures that you, regardless of purchase method, feel you receive fair compensation.

Looking ahead, we also want to make immediate and meaningful changes in the way we approach the game’s development and our communication with you. Firstly, this means a complete focus on improving the base game and modding tools, and secondly, we want to better involve you, the community, as we choose our priorities going forward. We will focus on additional free patches and game updates in the coming months before Colossal Order spends time on new paid content, resulting in a move of the Bridges and Ports Expansion to 2025. In addition, the aforementioned Creator Packs are being produced independently, and will not take any focus away from the work on improving the game. To make sure we focus on the right things, we’re putting together an advisory meeting, where a small group of player representatives, together with Colossal Order and Paradox Interactive, will discuss the development plan for this year. The people in this group are chosen for the size of their following within the community to represent as many people as possible. The teams from Colossal Order and Paradox Interactive will provide them with full transparency and answer any questions and critiques voiced. Our hope is that together with you, our community, we can make sure that we do not repeat the same mistakes we have made in the past and bring this game into a bright future.

We also want to address the pending Console release. As you know, our plan was to release in Spring of this year. We have been hesitant to communicate an actual release window because of the uncertainty we are facing, and to not make further promises we might not be able to keep. We have been struggling to get Cities: Skylines II to the necessary level of optimization for a console release, but are now hopeful that an upcoming build delivery in April will demonstrate sufficient progress for us to progress with a release candidate, and then a release build targeted for October. Before we have seen and evaluated the progress made in these builds however, we will not be able to confirm the release date, and even then, some uncertainty always remains. Our ambition is to deliver the experience that you all deserved at launch, but it will take time. It’s important to note that the team working on the console release operates separately from our PC development team, so it will be progressing without splitting our focus or time. In closing, we want to reaffirm our dedication to making Cities: Skylines II the best city builder it can be. We appreciate your support and feedback, and hope we can regain your trust going forward. It’s our responsibility to earn it, and we hope these actions are a first step in the right direction. We are deeply grateful for your continued passion for our game. Please stay tuned for further updates on the game and the refund process, and thank you for being a part of our community.

Sincerely,
Mariina Hallikainen, CEO, Colossal Order
Mattias Lilja, Deputy CEO, Paradox Interactive​
There is a FAQ on their forums about the refund https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/faq-the-way-forward.1663862/

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
Cities Skylines 1 was great and 2 is just a hot piece of garbage. I'm used to the usual beating Paradox does to its customers with dlc and shitty decisions (and I play a lot of their games) but every choice made since development of Skylines 2 has been a fuck you to its players.

I don't know why some people are so lenient with them or why they give them so much benefit of the doubt (well, I know because I was one of them in the past) but since they started to grow and have become more mainstream they have adopted the worst aspects of the market. Just look at the reviews of ANY recent DLC they released especially in games like EU4 since they started charging 20 euros for DLC.

And don't get me started with ditching Steam Workshop, a feature all Paradox games thrived on and now you have to use their shitty system to get a mod for one of their worst games to date and I'm sure it won't be the last one where they try something like this. And I say this as someone who, if you look my top 10 most played games on steam, 3 are from paradox and I have dozens of dlc for their games but their policy has become so overkill that I can't go a month without being announced an overpriced dlc with less and less content.