Community MetaSteam | April 2024 - Definitely there's no rest for the wicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
literally never a bad time
Tempting. But the next one in my queue is the rock and roll one, which I strongly suspect to be one of the boring volumes.
I could be wrong though, some boring volumes were entertaining enough while some probable hits were rage read. I really hated one of the last few I read. I think it was the one with the Elves.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Great Ace Attorney still had to do a lot of localization work, between making the script sound more british and changing character names for puns that english speakers can understand.

Ace Attorney is infamous due to the whole country change bit but it's also a great example of a game that would be really really really hard to simply translate, every single character name is a pun in japanese that most of the time simply won't translate and you can't just stop the game every time a new character shows up to go "this character's name uses kanji that is meant to imply he's an annoying otaku" instead of just calling the guy "Sal Manella" to imply he's gross.
Oh, but I'm not denying the amount of work done here. As I said I like the AA localizations. The cynical thing I'm saying is "is it worth it?" especially in the current generation and considering how much the game sell. There is also the fact that, once again, we enter in the problem where english translations are treated differntly compared to the rest of the world. AA1 to 4 (and Layton vs AA) are the only games in the series translated in italian, most likely done by Nintendo of Europe since the translations never came back for the new collections. However despite being in italian they didn't fully localize the games: their still using the english version as a base (set in america, all the names are the english ones etc). This means that all the jokes or references in the character names are lost to anyone not fully versed in english and it's not like they couldn't make them work in italian (a small example: Wynston Payne could have been translated into Massimo della Pena (Massimo is a first name, equivalent to Maximillian, but also means maximum, della Pena is a typical italian surname, but pena also means sentence. So Massimo della Pena would be equivalent to "maximum sentence" joking about his role as prosecutor). Despite this AA still found success here, until Capcom decided to no longer translate the games in italian and no one ever bought them again
Trying to fully localize everything for every country is simply unthinkable, it will quickly turn into a spiral of death

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Oh, but I'm not denying the amount of work done here. As I said I like the AA localizations. The cynical thing I'm saying is "is it worth it?" especially in the current generation and considering how much the game sell. There is also the fact that, once again, we enter in the problem where english translations are treated differntly compared to the rest of the world. AA1 to 4 (and Layton vs AA) are the only games in the series translated in italian, most likely done by Nintendo of Europe since the translations never came back for the new collections. However despite being in italian they didn't fully localize the games: their still using the english version as a base (set in america, all the names are the english ones etc). This means that all the jokes or references in the character names are lost to anyone not fully versed in english and it's not like they couldn't make them work in italian (a small example: Wynston Payne could have been translated into Massimo della Pena (Massimo is a first name, equivalent to Maximillian, but also means maximum, della Pena is a typical italian surname, but pena also means sentence. So Massimo della Pena would be equivalent to "maximum sentence" joking about his role as prosecutor). Despite this AA still found success here, until Capcom decided to no longer translate the games in italian and no one ever bought them again
Trying to fully localize everything for every country is simply unthinkable, it will quickly turn into a spiral of death
Yeah, it's very unfortunate not every language gets to have the same amount of effort.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I really enjoyed the remaster of the first Tomb Raider. But what the Unfinished Business expansion is incredibly frustrating for me. It's packed with insta-death traps and annoying timed doors, it has way too much combat and I'm constantly getting stuck in small areas where the terrible camera refuses to let me see what I need to see. Yikes.

• Sad

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I don't really care about either literally translation or full locations. Mainly because I'm not very smart and the original intent goes over my head. Also I'm still one of the people that do feel like some of the stuff that the original creator is either BS or some one else is saying it's BS. By which I mean hey look there is an even deeper meaning and all of this other stuff. Is there an even deeper meaning author? No not really. Sometimes with manga this does happen. I'm also like this because of school and how when we read books in general, so even if a book was originally in English and it's being taught in an English class in an American school, I still feel like people are giving their interpretation of what the author was trying to say. In some cases maybe there was a deeper meaning, maybe in some cases they just wanted money and we're trying to say that in order to get people interested.

Anyway so long as I get a general understanding of the story, I'm okay with it. The only issue that I have is when it comes to MTL stuff. And have no idea who the sentence is referring to, are you taking about yourself or that person over there.

Anyway give me what ever this is. I'm sure this was not the original intent of the creator of Miku but I like it.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Why are biggest complainers about J -> E localization the ones who refuse to actually learn Japanese so they can figure out what they're talking about before fisting their own mouth hole??

My favorite localizer is 8-4. Slight bias, I got to work with them on the Undertale JP/Console ports. :cat-heart-blob:
(They also did the NieR/Drakengard 3 localizations, which everyone praises.)

But anyway. Never trust anyone's opinion on JP localization if they don't actually speak JP. Easy as that. :3 You wouldn't trust a Farmer to perform heart surgery, or a dentist's opinions on rocket science right? If a person can't credibly back up what they're espousing... Well, that's sus. :blobtide:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I would say, if you are looking for the single best localisation ever done (as far as I am concerned) you need to look at the (British) English localisations for the Asterix books. Each one is translated in such a way that the jokes and puns are non destructive of the original intention.
The German translation of those is also really good.

However, the best German localization of anything in my experience (admittedly, I stopped consuming German versions of anything available in English ~2 decades ago) are the Donald Duck Comics by Carl Barks localized by Dr. Erika Fuchs.

now I think it’s time for me to start rereading the Discworld books.
Fun fact: I started rereading all of them last summer. Currently up to "The Truth". Such a great series (especially the Witches and Watch sub-series).
Also, these are some of the last books I actually bought as physical items (before admitting to myself that I'm running out of space and have to switch). It's nice to read those, even if it's sometimes less convenient than ebooks are.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Fun fact: I started rereading all of them last summer. Currently up to "The Truth". Such a great series (especially the Witches and Watch sub-series).
Also, these are some of the last books I actually bought as physical items (before admitting to myself that I'm running out of space and have to switch). It's nice to read those, even if it's sometimes less convenient than ebooks are.
I started reading the Pratchett books about 36 years ago. It's one of the few things I constantly go back to (Chrono Trigger and Tetris are 2 of the others). They are comfort food for me and one constant in my life.

Reactions: Durante

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
i'm still early so I haven't really unlocked much in the way of combat abilities yet so we'll see if it holds up but as much of a slog as the Eiyuden random encounters have been so far(they're super easy even on hard and they feel super frequent in longer areas so i've just been putting them on auto and they just kinda feel like a chore) the bosses have felt very well designed so far

the fights usually have some sort of gimmick in addition to their abilities which does a good job of making the boss fights feel different and on hard mode at least they've been kinda in a sweet spot where i'm beating them without having to try multiple times but using lots of items and such and have felt long enough to feel grueling without being long enough to feel boring, we'll see how that balance holds up as I unlock more rune slots and party members and such and can actually do some customization beyond just picking which 2 or so party members not to use in my party of 6 though

Reactions: QFNS and Shantom

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
as much complaining as i've seen about Eiyuden encounter rate bugs with high refresh rate monitors I gotta say i've been feeling kinda envious of it as someone with a 60Hz monitor getting the unbugged rates

i'm ~4 hours into the game now in the middle of some fairly long dungeon and i'd love having my encounter rate cut in half right about now having gone through what feels like dozens and dozens of random battles

• Toucan

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Why are biggest complainers about J -> E localization the ones who refuse to actually learn Japanese so they can figure out what they're talking about before fisting their own mouth hole??

My favorite localizer is 8-4. Slight bias, I got to work with them on the Undertale JP/Console ports. :cat-heart-blob:
(They also did the NieR/Drakengard 3 localizations, which everyone praises.)

But anyway. Never trust anyone's opinion on JP localization if they don't actually speak JP. Easy as that. :3 You wouldn't trust a Farmer to perform heart surgery, or a dentist's opinions on rocket science right? If a person can't credibly back up what they're espousing... Well, that's sus. :blobtide:
Glad to see 8-4 love on here. Definitely my favorite localization team (and favorite podcast!). :photoblobheart:

Reactions: 「Echo」 and QFNS

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Will this be a year when we will see Crysis 4? I kinda want to play Crysis 2 and 3 again (even though C1 offers more freedom i kinda like 2-3 more linear approach more). So full announcement of Crysis 4 would be nice and it would push me to play previous games XD

• Toucan

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I used to love the Polish translations of Discworld.
Then my English got good enough to read them in original form.
Now I hate the Polish translations of Discworld.
:blobweary:

• Toucan

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
You are only allowed to complain about localization if you have put any amount into being at least trilingual

• Evil
Reactions: PC-tan

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
You are only allowed to complain about localization if you have put any amount into being at least trilingual
Hey, that's me!
And yet I never complain about localizations (other than the lack of them)

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
I'm trying out this Pokken controller I got years ago and never used much, got it to play 2d games... I don't like the dpad that much.
Am I the only person that loves the Xbox One controller? I prefer the dpad over any playstation and most Nintendo. The only problem I have with it is the sticks have peeled, I need to replace both.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I think that's certainly a more reasonable thing to do than take translations from random people on twitter for granted, specially when their source is "Google Translate" most of the time.

Reactions: QFNS

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Native Spanish, fluent English, very casual Japanese and starting to learn Dutch and French, so yes I'm qualified to tell people to fuck off :D

• Toucan

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I used to love the Polish translations of Discworld.
Then my English got good enough to read them in original form.
Now I hate the Polish translations of Discworld.
:blobweary:
I never actually read them in German. I think I started reading them when I was 17 or so and at that point I read everything that was originally in English in English.
I do imagine that translating Pratchett is incredibly challenging if you want to transport both the meaning and the wit of the writing while still having it sound natural.

There are only a few books I read in both languages (like Lord of The Rings, tons of Dragonlance, and some Shadowrun novels), and in those cases there was usually so much time between them that I don't really have any reference for how good the translation actually was.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I never actually read them in German. I think I started reading them when I was 17 or so and at that point I read everything that was originally in English in English.
I do imagine that translating Pratchett is incredibly challenging if you want to transport both the meaning and the wit of the writing while still having it sound natural.
First few novels were actually decent, the translator tried to do localize most of the puns, but further into the series he just gave up.
And yeah, since I turned 15-16, only books I read in Polish are by Lem and Sapkowski (well, and books I read for my son, nowadays).
I tried the English translation of Cyberiad and while it's not bad (it's a really challenging text to translate), it doesn't hold a candle to the original.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
So I want to play Fallout New Vegas, need to install mod because 64 bit, install mod, thing doesnt work properly because I use an AMD GPU.

Sometimes I fucking hate PC.

• Sad
  • Toucan
Reactions: dummmyy and lashman

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
Wait, do you all really speak other languages? Because I'm technically fluent in four languages and I'm at the point in my life where I'm confusing the words in my head and mixing different languages when I speak, to the point that I doubt whether I am even fluent in a single language.

I blame my family... why couldn't we all speak the same language? o_O o_O

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Native Spanish, fluent English, very casual Japanese and starting to learn Dutch and French, so yes I'm qualified to tell people to fuck off :D
Why does one needs Dutch in South America? 🤔

I only speak Dutch, English and a little bit French and German.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I am fluent in German, English and Women.

A good amount of Latin and very low amounts (as in a handful of sentences) of Spanish, French, Japanese, Filipino and Dutch

Tho i can read dutch very easily a lot, since it's so close to german, just speaking it yourself is hard.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Some of you may have noticed that certain Nintendo related workshop items have recently been taken down. This is not a mistake, the takedowns came from Nintendo.

Honestly, this is fair enough. This is Nintendo's content and what they allow and don't allow is up to them. They don't want you playing with that stuff in Garry's Mod - that's their decision, we have to respect that and take down as much as we can.

This is an ongoing process, as we have 20 years of uploads to go through. If you want to help us by deleting your Nintendo related uploads and never uploading them again, that would help us a lot.
I'm surprised it took this long to be honest.

• Disapproval

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Native Fin, fluent English, very little German and Swedish.
The worst thing about learning languages is how fast they tend to just kind of escape your brain if you don't use them, which is the case for me with both German and Swedish.

Localization is difficult, and some people really don't understand what goes into it.

If you played Control, Ahti uses some Finnish idioms that are directly translated word for word, obviously on purpose. It's pretty amusing for a Fin like me, but "you think there's a dog buried in this?" probably doesn't make much sense for the rest of the world.

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
Just spanish and english here. The weeaboo in me wishes he had learned japanese, but I feel I'm too old for that shit, It'd be cool, hanging in the japanese internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.