Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Nixxes is behind the port IIRC
Nixxes usually produces very good ports. But yeah, even if I cared about Avengers or superheroes (and I really REALLY dont), I would not wanna touch this particular game. Crystal Dynamics or not.

Regarding EGS: I was from the start appaled by Epics tactics of buying their way into the market, and still am. I dont have an account with them nor do I plan to ever make one. I tend to blacklist/ignore devs that took Tim Sweeneys money, but not necessarily forever. Depends a lot on how its all handled. The Ooblets people, the Rebel Galaxy guy, the Satisfactory team, they'll never see my money (not that their games were interesting to me, but even if they were).
The games that went exclusive that I wanted to play I simply waited out, but most of them werent so interesting anymore anyway, after a while. So my Steam library has so far seen only a few ex-egsclusives (Outer Wilds, Red Dead 2, Journey, David Cages games), but Control I'll probably get. And maybe The Outer Worlds, we'll see.

On the topic of piracy: I'm not pro piracy and I dont pirate games (or anything), but I dont fault people for pirating stuff, because it's indeed not just a black and white issue. As pointed out, it is often a service problem. And dont forget, not every pirated copy of something wouldve been a sale anyway - but it might lead to one later.
I also think these types of discussions should never be taboo. Talking about why people pirate things can also lead to solutions to offering them more ways to buy things legitimately, affordably, etc.

Unrelated, scrolling through my Steam library made me think "Oh my god I have way too many games that I wanna play but dont have time for!"
A problem probably new to all of you, but there it is ;P

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I wasn't going to get Avengers as I don't like Marvel stuff except for Spider-Man, but seeing the game in action... no thanks.

Reactions: Arsene

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
I grew up surrounded by people who had to pirate to even experience what a videogame was, not only because of low income but also because It was almost imposible to get original games at an affordable price. And for a lot of those people, videogames were one of the few ways to escape the shitty real life.

Sorry but piracy is a reality and I think is justified, every time I see the black or white approach of "piracy is evil" I can't help but think about privilege.

Piracy grows when greedy companies make anticonsumer choices, their implementation of shitty drm and the likes of Denuvo is just the same greedy companies trying to stop the bleeding without actually changing the root of the problem.

It's a service problem. And I say this as someone who hasn't pirated a game in more than a decade.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I grew up surrounded by people who had to pirate to even experience what a videogame was, not only because of low income but also because It was almost imposible to get original games at an affordable price. And for a lot of those people, videogames were one of the few ways to escape the shitty real life.

Sorry but piracy is a reality and I think is justified, every time I see the black or white approach of "piracy is evil" I can't help but think about privilege.

Piracy grows when greedy companies make anticonsumer choices, their implementation of shitty drm and the likes of Denuvo is just the same greedy companies trying to stop the bleeding without actually changing the root of the problem.

It's a service problem. And I say this as someone who hasn't pirated a game in more than a decade.
Yup, especially with PC Games. Try explaining to your parents why the very expensive game they just bought you doesn’t work.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018

Piracy out of necessity and piracy out of entitlement are two completely different things, though.

If a game isn't available to buy legally in your region, we're talking about the former and you're right. It's in more of a gray area. I don't think anyone should judge you for that. But pirating because the game isn't available on your preferred store or because you don't like the DRM or something the company did, then we're talking about the latter and that one is never justifiable.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019

Ok but I made my comments specifically on the matter of piracy as a reaction to the game appearing on EGS. If I came across as black and white in my stance, that wasn't my intention and I followed up on my beginning posts.

Piracy does feed those shitty drm's and so far all of the arguments to the contrary have fallen on deaf corporate ears.

Piracy out of necessity and piracy out of entitlement are two completely different things, though.

If a game isn't available to buy legally in your region, we're talking about the former and you're right. It's in more of a gray area. I don't think anyone should judge you for that. But pirating because the game isn't available on your preferred store or because you don't like the DRM or something the company did, then we're talking about the latter and that one is never justifiable.
DRM is one I'd question, if only because the DRM is actively harmful or basically spyware/rootkit. These are rare but it happens.

The one that grinds my gears the most, out of any of the times I've heard people pirating (and I haven't heard it here, no one here is shitty) is when a smaller developer gets in hot water with certain portions of the gaming community and people start threatening piracy in retribution.

Reactions: Pommes and lashman

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
when a smaller developer gets in hot water with certain portions of the gaming community and people start threatening piracy in retribution.
The kind of people shitty enough to make that threat most likely never intended to pay for the game, tbh. Or even play it at all. It just reeks of being desperate for attention/a reaction. Better ignore those assholes entirely and not let them get to you.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
The kind of people shitty enough to make that threat most likely never intended to pay for the game, tbh. Or even play it at all. It just reeks of being desperate for attention/a reaction. Better ignore those assholes entirely and not let them get to you.
I think your pretty on point with that ummm, point lol.

Does foster the shitty dev vs player environment we're in and egs deals but so does social media, market saturation, online nationalism, q anon, etc....

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
And yet people are blaming Remedy for the next gen upgrade path. Are people really that clueless?
Still looking for the fine print where an August 2019 game gets a free upgrade to PS5/XBSX, Remedy at fault yet again!!!! Or that the season pass was the upgrade pass.

I get people are disappointed but they set themselves up for it.

TBH, I'm shocked as hell that game companies are selling "upgrade passes" for $10 a pop. M$ and Sony slipping money to certain hands for third party upgrades is what I think.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I strongly dislike way too many business decisions for The Avengers. No matter how good or bad this game is, I won't buy it.

And I won't pirate it either.
This is one of the (great many, luckily) cases where I have it easy since I never cared about that game in the first place :p

I should be fine as long as Tim doesn't start moneyhatting Zachtronics.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Zachtronics would need to sell to a big enough audience for Tim to notice them first. Sad, but true. Their games are spectacular though, just... Dense.

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Zachtronics would need to sell to a big enough audience for Tim to notice them first. Sad, but true. Their games are spectacular though, just... Dense.
You say that but Remedy hasn't had a major hit since Max Payne. Alan Wake, Quantum Break and Control all bombed, as far as I'm aware. And they still moneyhatted Control and bankrolled their next game (or was it next two?).

I'm not getting my hopes up but I really hope those Epic published games won't be permanent exclusives. I've been a fan of Remedy for almost two decades but they make it really hard sometimes...

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Yes.
Or was that a rhetorical question?
Well tbh,I expected more from enthusiast gamers such as Era.

I thought it's common knowledge that developers are the ones who actually made the game, whereas publishers made business decisions for the devs.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Well tbh,I expected more from enthusiast gamers such as Era.

I thought it's common knowledge that developers are the ones who actually made the game, whereas publishers made business decisions for the devs.
For a so-called community of "enthusiasts", the average Era member is shockingly ignorant about their hobby. I don't see myself as an expert by any stretch of the imagination but the amount of nonsense about how the industry or even games themselves actually work is unreal sometimes. It's one of the reasons why I can barely stand to even lurk anymore. I rarely get more than half a page through a thread before just rolling my eyes and closing the tab.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Petition to have deez nuts as a reaction
oooooooo

I'm telling the mods about this /s
----

By the way the way that PS does curation is pretty cool at times. By which I mean there are times when they do stuff like an interview with the devs to talk about stuff for the game.

Like the fairy tail one as an example. They got the mangaka to answer a few questions. Where as with other Nintendo/MS/Steam stuff I doubt that would be the case for big name devs.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way does any one else remember this?

I remember seeing the commercial with this song and wanted to buy one. I did at one point but one by I can't remember which one it was.

I think that there was a PC Bionicle game that more or less told some lore stuff but I think it was cancelled or something.

Bionicle has some pretty good lore for what is just supposed to be a toy.

Hot take : Bionicles has better lore than most JRPGs, I say that because the series itself could have just been an anime and it would not have felt out of place.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

For fans of fire emblem/classic shinning games
Sounds promising!

Artstyle looks good (both anime portraits and unit pixels), and all the systems are intact. I hope the story will be as expansive as Fire Emblem games, and I'm all set. It looks like they only need the crowdfund money for more polish and content.

Reactions: Tizoc
Status
Not open for further replies.