Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Yeah, I am also against pirating as well. If I don't agree with a publisher, I will make sure they don't get my money but I will still buy it on some key shops. If there is no other legit way getting a game, the solution is simple: I am not playing it.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Any word on if Control Ultimate Edition will support HDR? The original didn’t and it was a real shame, its moodiness and environments could have especially benefitted from it.

Re: the Epic discussion: the EGS is legit terrible and could lead to some awful trends in the industry that will damage the medium as a whole, so complaining about an “anti-EGS brigade” is ridiculous. But I also don’t blame any developers for taking deals with Epic with how hard it is to become profitable nowadays, and I shit on 505 all the time but when you consider Control still wasn’t profitable even with Epic paying for a third of the budget, it’s hard to even blame them. The problems that create crap like the EGS are wide and systemic, and the only way to kill it is for it to become unprofitable enough that its “disruptive” strategy becomes not worth it - which is just something we cannot affect other than just not buying from Epic. Which most people here already do, so whatever?

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Look I know most of my PC colleagues want Bloodborne more than anything, but to me this bit right here means far more :

A brave soul :
I have a question, and I don't know if you can answer it. Are the new rumours about God of War on PC real? Thank you!
To which PC Gaming Inquisition answered :
I've heard about it, but it's not as solid as Bloodborne because I've heard about it only from one source, so don't take your hopes too high
Found in the comment section of this now infamous video :

That's all I need to hear to carry on living.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah, I am also against pirating as well. If I don't agree with a publisher, I will make sure they don't get my money but I will still buy it on some key shops. If there is no other legit way getting a game, the solution is simple: I am not playing it.
I think that the most effective action to take against a company behaving in ways that you disapprove of isn't to pirate their game, but to not even play or even mention it.

Obscurity is the worst fate art can die.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
But why are we talking about this now? I have talked open going to the high seas with EGS exclusives I wanna play for over 1 year now.
I don't know and it came across to me as a little mean-spirited. Also, Meta is not most forums from a moderation perspective, and that's honestly been a boon so far. I don't think it's a very healthy point of reference.

I would rather we were comfortable talking about piracy because like it or not, it's a part of the ecosystem.

Some say it's a service problem.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
But why are we talking about this now? I have talked open about going to the high seas with EGS exclusives I wanna play for over 1 year now and then buying them on Steam when they are out there.
can’t say I recall it before, so my point still stands
The EGS saga is all shit but none of it justifies piracy, that’s my 2 cents

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
[UWSL]I really like this place but the anti egs shit is exhausting. Steam is stronger than ever, it isn't like you have to buy a new piece of under the television hardware to buy the game when it jumps stores, etc.[/UWSL]
I'd rather say the "it's just another storefront" narrative is exhausting.

One more time: lots of pc gamers don't like Epic's scummy money hatting tactics and are strongly speaking out against it, while voting with their wallets as well. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, whether you agree with these people or not.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Piracy is not a black and white issue especially so long as we live under capitalism. Your class status should not dictate your access to the arts - and as you’ve no doubt heard a billion times already, there’s no such thing as ethical consumption anyways.

The forces of the free market are strange and ineffable, and the amount of actual sales you’d get from potential pirates were you to make an un-piratable product would be slim to none.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
In regards to piracy, I actually remember the Game of Thrones writers Dave and Dan said they went to a country that they know didn't have HBO (GoT) yet they were swarmed over by fans of the series, meaning these people became fans because they had pirated the show. They actually said in an interview they were more humbled by this than they were angry/sad that they had watched the show illegaly.

Piracy has many causes. Availability is one of them.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This is the Steam thread, if you want to discuss if EGS is good or bad there's a thread for that so please, move to that thread instead, thanks. :confused-face:
I'm sorry, I know you mean well but I think we are entitled to responding to blanket statements that were made regarding people against the EGS's exclusivity practice. This is not a taboo topic, even though I understand the eye-rolling reactions to it because everything that could be said about it has been.

And for what it's worth, I get that Trisolaran has been having a very rough time, he's said as much but it still wasn't nice to say that.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I'd rather say the "it's just another storefront" narrative is exhausting.

One more time: lots of pc gamers don't like Epic's scummy money hatting tactics and are strongly speaking out against it, while voting with their wallets as well. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, whether you agree with these people or not.
Not buying something=/= Going to the high seas.

We'll agree to disagree on the 'just another storefront' which I HAVEN'T said btw, its more than just another store front, we agree on that. Not down with the multi year crusade and it falls short of a game jumping to another console completely.

It's not rage to point out that exclusivity deals are harmful and bullshit. It's not very nice paint people against EGS for that reason as some kind of immature gang. It's not about who is strong or not, it's about what's right.

On piracy, I have little issues with it and can understand it more than a little. People can call that stealing but in a world with shitty regional pricing and arbitrary restrictions, it's a counter-power that we are very, very lucky to have. I don't think piracy is always right, but when a game is priced 60$ when your monthly income is barely three times that, it becomes something that is hard to call immoral.

More to the point, if we are going to talk morality, this industry could use a lecture or two.
I don't like it when I make what I think is a good point against piracy and then the post supporting piracy gets 4 likes.

As to rage, maybe rage was a strong word.

Regarding the stealing, it isn't like stealing a car and I understand have no money, believe me. On the other hand, I still remember the shitty days of pc gaming in the 7th gen. We can pirate our way back to those days or increasingly shitty drm.

But why are we talking about this now? I have talked open about going to the high seas with EGS exclusives I wanna play for over 1 year now and then buying them on Steam when they are out there.
I happened to notice it now. Shrug.

I don't know and it came across to me as a little mean-spirited. Also, Meta is not most forums from a moderation perspective, and that's honestly been a boon so far. I don't think it's a very healthy point of reference.

I would rather we were comfortable talking about piracy because like it or not, it's a part of the ecosystem.

Some say it's a service problem.
Not looking for anyone to be banned at all.

This is the Steam thread, if you want to discuss if EGS is good or bad there's a thread for that so please, move to that thread instead, thanks. :confused-face:
Noted.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
What I'm trying to say is that a lot of us just care about the game and once it's on steam, our deal is buy or not buy, we do not care about anything else, I can understand all your positions but at the same time I'm obsessed with order and the right places so yeah, I don't think that conversation belongs here, the most of it that belongs here is that it has a release date for steam, the new assets and price, everything about EGS in general has a dedicated thread in which all can be discussed :/

Do as you want, I won't stop you and I won't say it again, game is coming to Steam, I don't care if it was an EGS exclusive or if next remedy game is exclusive, I care about Control and I'm fucking happy to play it once it releases where I want, that's it.

Can you add Microsoft to that, please? It's exhausting reading so many posts praising a company with such a faulty track record on Pc.
You mean the Microsoft store? I don't get this in specific

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Yeah, I am also against pirating as well. If I don't agree with a publisher, I will make sure they don't get my money but I will still buy it on some key shops.
Pretty sure the majority of key shops buy keys directly from the publisher. You'll still give them your money.

I don't like piracy, but I'm done supporting shitty devs and publishers like Deep Silver or the Ooblets devs. If they don't respect me as a consumer, I don't see why I should respect them by buying their games instead of pirating them.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Control had an interesting run. Nvidia deal, Sony deal, EGS deal, Atari Lynx deal. Now you have to pay 40 to get the "free" upgrade on console? No wonder it's starting to trend on twitter.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Pretty sure the majority of key shops buy keys directly from the publisher. You'll still give them your money.

I don't like piracy, but I'm done supporting shitty devs and publishers like Deep Silver or the Ooblets devs. If they don't respect me as a consumer, I don't see why I should respect them by buying their games instead of pirating them.
Maybe just don’t play the game instead of pirating it? Plenty of other games out there to spend your time with.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
I mean Microsoft ecosystem in general, Gamepass, their console or their launch titles. It's great for some people to be able to play games like Halo or Sea of Thieves on Steam but man some days this seems like a Microsoft thread :p

Reactions: xinek

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I don't like it when I make what I think is a good point against piracy and then the post supporting piracy gets 4 likes.

As to rage, maybe rage was a strong word.

Regarding the stealing, it isn't like stealing a car and I understand have no money, believe me. On the other hand, I still remember the shitty days of pc gaming in the 7th gen. We can pirate our way back to those days or increasingly shitty drm.
First, I should say that I understand you aren't exactly having an easy time of it. I don't want to get on your case and I can drop this line of discussion if you'd rather that.

The place I'm coming from regarding EGS is just that I'd like people to respect each other and to acknowledge detractors as having made a rational decision. And I get that rage is just something that just came out wrong, thanks.

About 7th gen, I don't know that there is data actually pointing to piracy having harmed the PC space so much. Steam didn't invalidate piracy either and we've trucked along just fine. The decision publishers made wasn't exactly rooted in facts as far as I know. Remember Yves Guillemot's 90-something percentage figure about piracy rate?

As for the likes, I don't want to be combative but I don't think you understood what I was saying if you are referring to my post. I don't support piracy wholesale, but I find it hard to debate that it is both a very useful counter-power keeping a greedy industry honest, and something really understandable in places where service, availability and pricing aren't passing muster.

I just flat-out disagree with painting piracy as something evil with a broad brush, not with this industry's practices and behavior.

Not looking for anyone to be banned at all.
You weren't the one who said it, no worries there. I mostly think that policing other's speech doesn't foster the best atmosphere and discourse, outside of obvious cases like racism and hatred.

Last edited:

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I mean Microsoft ecosystem in general, Gamepass, their console or their launch titles. It's great for some people to be able to play games like Halo or Sea of Thieves on Steam but man some days this seems like a Microsoft thread :p
Aaaah, I didn't understand you at first haha, sorry :cat-heart-blob:

Reactions: Echoes

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
there’s been plenty of non steam chat in this thread for ages though

so are we saying that this thread should be steam only from now on?
No EGS, Origin, UPlay, GOG, Battlenet, Game Pass etc?

Reactions: Swenhir

Mor

Sep 7, 2018

there's a big difference between a talk and the endless discussion that will derail into something completely different becuase, as you said, it has happened for ages and that's what I'm trying to avoid in the most wholesome way possible. :cat-heart-blob:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

I get your point, I think the reason some want less EGS talk here is because of the negative view EGS has in the PC community here while the others you name don't have much negativity at all.

Also, EGS usually derails things here in the thread, I know because I personally regrettingly caused some of that derail because I discussed EGS.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Control had an interesting run. Nvidia deal, Sony deal, EGS deal, Atari Lynx deal. Now you have to pay 40 to get the "free" upgrade on console? No wonder it's starting to trend on twitter.
So its basically.... pay 40$ to go into your graphics options and change some settings.

That really sucks for people who bought game and season pass individually.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
there's a big difference between a talk and the endless discussion that will derail into something completely different becuase, as you said, it has happened for ages and that's what I'm trying to avoid in the most wholesome way possible. :cat-heart-blob:
ok understood

I get your point, I think the reason some want less EGS talk here is because of the negative view EGS has in the PC community here while the others you name don't have much negativity at all.

Also, EGS usually derails things here in the thread, I know because I personally regrettingly caused some of that derail because I discussed EGS.
That shouldn’t matter cos at that point it’s preference and gate keeping discussion
“Steam only except for the ones that we like” isn’t a great system, should be keeping it consistent

I mean, a forum is pretty much all about gate keeping discussion otherwise we could just have 1 thread were we talk about everything.

Gatekeeping discussion can also be seen as keeping discussion organized.
Well we’re as well dropping the pretense then and calling this the pc gaming thread (except for EGS)

Anyway I’m saying no more, I’ve had enough

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
ok understood

That shouldn’t matter cos at that point it’s preference and gate keeping discussion
“Steam only except for the ones that we like” isn’t a great system, should be keeping it consistent
I mean, a forum is pretty much all about gate keeping discussion otherwise we could just have 1 thread were we talk about everything.

Gatekeeping discussion can also be seen as keeping discussion organized.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Capitalism. Name a gaming company, one who sells a console, designs a graphics card, makes a game big enough to get ads on TV, where this ISNT the case. Small teams and passion projects? They're engaged with the community because they have to be to survive.
So, when the team is small and needs us, they engage with the consumer, but when they are bigger they don't need to engage with us anymore?
Fuck them.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Before my poor wording and amateurish English skills might get me in trouble I want to give the community some positive statement regarding piracy which was said by many indie devs in the past, well many years ago to be exact.

So, my point is, these are the words quoted from Lars Doucet (Ex-contractor with Valve, Steam Labs related and developer behind Defender's Quest.

I never thought the day would come where I would passionately argue that fans should pirate my game rather than pay for it, but here we are.
Source: G2a, Piracy, and the Four Currencies

In the end, we can all agree on this post that nobody here has mentioned/thought the worst outcome possible which was reflected on the previous source link.

I hope this post helps most people see previous statement as a positive opportunity given the context involved.

Reason: typos
Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
What I'm trying to say is that a lot of us just care about the game and once it's on steam, our deal is buy or not buy, we do not care about anything else, I can understand all your positions but at the same time I'm obsessed with order and the right places so yeah, I don't think that conversation belongs here, the most of it that belongs here is that it has a release date for steam, the new assets and price, everything about EGS in general has a dedicated thread in which all can be discussed :/

Do as you want, I won't stop you and I won't say it again, game is coming to Steam, I don't care if it was an EGS exclusive or if next remedy game is exclusive, I care about Control and I'm fucking happy to play it once it releases where I want, that's it.

So, can we also ban talks about Playstation, Xbox, Gamepass, unconfirmed rumors about games that are not yet released on PC?

The thing is, this is the Steam thread, yes. But we also talk about things that influences or affects Steam, and that means talking about all those others platforms, their games, etc.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Damn. Xbox got the Control Season Pass 6 weeks ago. Can you imagine buying that and being told it's not enough for Smart Delivery? smh.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So, can we also ban talks about Playstation, Xbox, Gamepass, unconfirmed rumors about games that are not yet released on PC?

The thing is, this is the Steam thread, yes. But we also talk about things that influences or affects Steam, and that means talking about all those others platforms, their games, etc.
But I made a console thread literally for console talk :(

Damn. Xbox got the Control Season Pass 6 weeks ago. Can you imagine buying that and being told it's not enough for Smart Delivery? smh.
The 505 Games way.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
But I made a console thread literally for console talk :(

:shrugblob:
For me, I don't want to talk about consoles in their own bubble, and this doesn't happen in this thread. What we talk about, are the things that are in correlation to the industry as a whole or Steam specific.

Reactions: lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Most forums would ban for that admission frankly and rightly so
To me, it would be wrong to ban someone for this admission, although I agree some places would. This ban would hide the issue, rather than discuss it, which is the point of a forum. However, it makes sense to ban talks about piracy if it prevents people from posting links to external resources, which would create security and legality issues.

On a side-note, I am sure fantomena is one of the biggest funders of Steam developpers. He buys some many stuff, it is crazy.

Last edited:

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
So, when the team is small and needs us, they engage with the consumer, but when they are bigger they don't need to engage with us anymore?
Fuck them.
On an individual basis, pretty much. They'll engage with our money sure and they'll strike against us if they see piracy for damned sure. We saw it in the shitshow that was 07-12 and Denovo.

First, I should say that I understand you aren't exactly having an easy time of it. I don't want to get on your case and I can drop this line of discussion if you'd rather that.

The place I'm coming from regarding EGS is just that I'd like people to respect each other and to acknowledge detractors as having made a rational decision. And I get that rage is just something that just came out wrong, thanks.

About 7th gen, I don't know that there is data actually pointing to piracy having harmed the PC space so much. Steam didn't invalidate piracy either and we've trucked along just fine. The decision publishers made wasn't exactly rooted in facts as far as I know. Remember Yves Guillemot's 90-something percentage figure about piracy rate?

As for the likes, I don't want to be combative but I don't think you understood what I was saying if you are referring to my post. I don't support piracy wholesale, but I find it hard to debate that it is both a very useful counter-power keeping a greedy industry honest, and something really understandable in places where service, availability and pricing aren't passing muster.

I just flat-out disagree with painting piracy as something evil with a broad brush, not with this industry's practices and behavior.

You weren't the one who said it, no worries there. I mostly think that policing other's speech doesn't foster the best atmosphere and discourse, outside of obvious cases like racism and hatred.
I'm ok, should remember better to be more civil, despite whatever going on for me atm.

The detractors are making rational decisions, but only one decision between not buying on EGS and pirating the same game will lead to less games from the publisher or developer on the PC platform or at all.

I'm confused; what was the messaging was for this whole "Smart Delivery" thing was for Control in the first place? Was there a promise of a free upgrade? ('Free' in gaming is a very dangerous term that should not be trusted, beyond free multiplayer on the PC)

I haven't been looking into the next gen console with any thoughts on purchasing for myself or any expectations of BC, so I'm not aware of what was said.

Genuinely surprised that so many games are getting free upgrades.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I'm kind of worried now about some of the digital games I own on PS4 like God of War and Bloodborne. When I pick up a PS5 will those games just run at enhanced settings automatically or will they force me to buy additional versions of these games in order to see improvements.

It really sucks that its August and this type of information in unclear. The messaging for next gen consoles has been a mess. And this Control upgrade bs could set an awful precedent. No smart delivery but you can have dumb delivery. :shrugblob:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm ok, should remember better to be more civil, despite whatever going on for me atm.

The detractors are making rational decisions, but only one decision between not buying on EGS and pirating the same game will lead to less games from the publisher or developer on the PC platform or at all.
I'm not sure how to say this without sounding insincere after the argument but take care. I hope you can feel better and things can look up soon. Hell, the end of summer might help a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.