Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Gave Avengers another go, thought it might be more fun in multiplayer: It's not.

I had really great performance during the initial singe-player levels: 80-90fps, no stutters, no mayor drops.
But now, during the mp part I'm getting constantly sub sixty, FPS fluctuate a lot (GPU is always maxed out). Holding a mp group for more than fifteen minutes seems to be impossible. And I don't even think it looks that great in those "open" maps.

In all honesty: Anthem was more fun and had more consistent performance. And Anthem is bad!

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Yeah, Avengers is a snoozefest.
I got bored well before the end of the Hulk level; all this fuss and it's just a simple brawler.

Also had some sporadic stuttering in places too fwiw.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
As a huge Marvel fan. the game not being connected to the MCU makes me indifferent towards it. The only way I'll play it at launch is if I get tasked with writing a review, otherwise maybe on a deep sale if it is still online by then.
My only experience with Marvel and MCU is, what I hear through the media, didn't even know that this wasn't part of the MCU.
My first (and only) thought was how they can make a PVP game out of the different superpowers and balance it. I can only imagine the shitshow it will be when fans of different heroes argue that hero X shouldn't really win against hero Z.

The only superhero franchise I am invested in is Worm.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
It is funny because I have played a very similar level in The Elder Scrolls Online. As I have not yet finished Morrowind, I did not know this level was inspired by it.

Reactions: ISee

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
As a huge Marvel fan. the game not being connected to the MCU makes me indifferent towards it. The only way I'll play it at launch is if I get tasked with writing a review, otherwise maybe on a deep sale if it is still online by then.
I hate it, but not seing Chris Evans face and hearing his voice on Cap in the game makes me dislike game Cap even though I kinda like playing as Cap.

A bit of the same with RDJ and Hemsworth, but mostly with Cap. It's not something I want to hate/dislike, but it is what it is.

Marvel finding Evans, RDJ and Hemsworth for their roles was astonishing.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Do anyone of you use the "favorite" collection as a shelf and if so, how many games do you have there? And do you have those games in another collection?

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
God I hate the always online world we seem to have entered, especially as im a single player gamer.

Im trying to ply Elite Dangerous as i just got an Index and wanted to try it in VR. Havent played for a while. I go to boot the game, needs to update the launcher. I do that and log it, it wants to send me a verification code via email. Ok, checking my emails. nothing, wait for half an hour, nothing, Try to log into the website to see if i can sort it out, it again needs to send me an email to verify my account and again, no email.

I just want to play the game i bought and backed in single player modes as was part of the promise but then got the old switcheroo ' its now always online ' treatment.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Do anyone of you use the "favorite" collection as a shelf and if so, how many games do you have there? And do you have those games in another collection?
FTL, Into the Breach, BallisticNG, Halo MCC, Hitman 2, Trackmania 2 Stadium and Canyon, Destiny 2, MH World and Burnout Paradise. So 11 if we count MCC and the two Trackmania versions as single games.

They're all already sorted by genre. Not really favorites as much as games that are not finishable per se or are very replayable and I intend to play more of.

I have a ton of collections though, so I only show a list of uncategorized installed games, and I never really see the favorites collection anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Yes. 25 games. Yes, some of them. I categorize my games by their series, so there's some overlap.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I hate it, but not seing Chris Evans face and hearing his voice on Cap in the game makes me dislike game Cap even though I kinda like playing as Cap.

A bit of the same with RDJ and Hemsworth, but mostly with Cap. It's not something I want to hate/dislike, but it is what it is.

Marvel finding Evans, RDJ and Hemsworth for their roles was astonishing.
MCU casting has been almost nothing but hits. I'd say that Don Cheadle was somewhat of a miss as I enjoyed Terrence Howard as Rhodey and obviously Edward Norton didn't work out but almost all the other actors were amazingly cast.

The problem with Square Enix's Avengers, purely from the perspective of an MCU fan, is that character designs clearly evoke the MCU but the game's story isn't connected to it. I'm not expecting the game to be full canon of course but if they couldn't do the Agents of Shield-style "soft canon" (the show acknowledges the movies but the movies don't acknowledge the show) then just design the characters differently and build your own identity. As it currently is the characters in the game feel like those Batman impersonators in The Dark Knight.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The PS4 Spiderman game managed to go a different route and build its own identity. But we are used to having multiple Spiderman iterations by now, so that is also a factor here.

In the end I agree, you either go full canon or you do something else.
The current Avengers game is a bit like playing a Star Wars game where the boy blowing up the doom days device is called Buke Skyrunner and the scarry villain Dark Feader. It is something else, but close enough to be distracting.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Will it sell well during the first week(s) ? Yes
The question is if it will have long legs.
It will once
1. it goes 50% off
2. Then become F2P GAAS ala Destiny 2
Why? It's just a franchise.
I love Star Trek, I hate New Trek with a passion.
There, nothing happened. :face-throwing-a-kiss:
I thought the current Trek series is OK.
Mind you, never been into Star Trek before.

Reactions: Alexandros

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
If you are talking about either Picard or Discovery, I will have to HARD DISAGREE.

Picard and Discovery both suffer from the problem of someone being really excited to constantly have fight scenes in a sci-fi show. Which makes no sense, because these people all have phasers so they should just shoot each other, but no. We have to have swords, fisticuffs and other dumb stuff. USE THE DAMN GUNS.

Both of those shows also seem to have contempt for character moments and actually explaining WHY people are doing things or why things are happening. Its a lot of magical thinking and running around because of emergencies, into more of that. There are no meetings of people to discuss the problems at hand unless someone is going to burst in and talk about the next problem. Things don't get resolved and everything always has to lead to something else. I get that narrative TV isn't going to allow you to make shows like TNG anymore, but damn. Wrap up a plotline once in a while. Not everything needs to be related to your gigantic magical universe destroying problem. The plots are starting to get too close to some JRPGs IMO, LOL.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
damn the Battlefield bundle for $30 seems like a really good deal but it still needs origin and no steam achievements......hmmmm

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
damn the Battlefield bundle for $30 seems like a really good deal but it still needs origin and no steam achievements......hmmmm
seriously doubt they'll update it later on ... so you might as well

at least you'll have them on steam :p

Reactions: Firewithin

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
I would hold on to it for now.
I have the hope that once EA/Origin Access (just got rebranded as EA Play) releases on Steam, you will get a discount (10 % off ) on bundles as well.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Does anyone have any experience with paying a user with Steam Wallet on a group like Group Buys? I have always avoided these trades, because I would rather use Paypal to avoid any transaction fee, but I might want to use Steam Wallet one day. I have found this piece of information:

But there is no example of good non-commodity items other the following one, and the Wiki was last edited in October 2018!

Powerjack looks good:
  • it is not too expensive (~ 0.50 €), so there is little risk to get scammed,
  • there are only 33 listings, so it is convenient to find the listing (one can only move 2 pages forward at a time, as far as I know).
Any other suggestion of an item to be used for "Steam Market Trading"? It has to be a non-commodity item, with a cheap price and few listings.

Edit: I have found these.

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content

Last edited:

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
When did Valve make a ninja-change to Steam chat user nicknames on chat groups? It had to be very recent because I used to see their community nickname and between ( ) their "custom" nickname for them. That custom was applied by me to help identify people better. It is no longer working as that as I can only see their "custom" nickname I put on them.

Reason: added context

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
When did Valve make a ninja-change to Steam chat user nicknames on chat groups? It had to be very recent because I used to see their community nickname and between ( ) their "custom" nickname for them. That custom was applied by me to help identify people better. It is no longer working as that as I can only see their "custom" nickname I put on them.
Click on the cog.

Then it is the first setting.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
As a small business owner, it is utterly bizarre to me how many indie devs and some of their supporters seem to think they are owed success for simply making something. That ain't how running a small business works, at all. On PC, they are completely free to distribute their games using their own site, payment processing and hosting. They use Steam because they want something from it (i.e. the massive user base, no bandwidth costs, ease of distributing updates, payment processing fees included, etc) but then complain about the cost of doing business.

I think a lot of indie devs would benefit from learning more about running a business rather than just being a creator. It's a ton of work running a small business and everyone from restaurateurs to landscapers need to know how to do many things outside their core competencies to have a long-term successful small business. Plenty of small business fail despite doing everything "right". I tell web devs I know that if they want to leave the giant corporation they work for to freelance then they need to realize there is a lot more to it than just building cool things for clients.

For the walled gardens specifically, they know (or at least should) ahead of time what the costs are going to be. By making an app for that platform they should have factored in the cost initially to decide if it was viable to even make their app. I'm fine with lobbying for a lower cut but don't act like your game or business failed because of the cut you knew about in advance. I loathe to use the word entitlement but I can't think of many other industries that the "I worked really hard on this so I am owed success" mindset is so thoroughly ingrained.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I have 56 on games on the Favorites shelf, but I use Recently Played and All Games with "installed" switch on sorted by hours played in my library to actually pick.

I have 22 collections, and yes, some games share several tags, but that's just sorting for my benefit. I don't actually have that many games (~600) and it's pretty easy to keep track of what I own and want to play.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
If you are talking about either Picard or Discovery, I will have to HARD DISAGREE.

Picard and Discovery both suffer from the problem of someone being really excited to constantly have fight scenes in a sci-fi show. Which makes no sense, because these people all have phasers so they should just shoot each other, but no. We have to have swords, fisticuffs and other dumb stuff. USE THE DAMN GUNS.

Both of those shows also seem to have contempt for character moments and actually explaining WHY people are doing things or why things are happening. Its a lot of magical thinking and running around because of emergencies, into more of that. There are no meetings of people to discuss the problems at hand unless someone is going to burst in and talk about the next problem. Things don't get resolved and everything always has to lead to something else. I get that narrative TV isn't going to allow you to make shows like TNG anymore, but damn. Wrap up a plotline once in a while. Not everything needs to be related to your gigantic magical universe destroying problem. The plots are starting to get too close to some JRPGs IMO, LOL.
Yeesh @_@

Reactions: QFNS

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
You like what you like.

Star Trek is a utopic show about a better mankind. One that prefers diplomatic solutions over violence but doesn't back off from a fight if necessary. Starfleet isn't a military organization; they are professional explorers, scientists, and diplomates. Overseen by a democratic, multispecies government.
There are bad apples though even in their own ranks and Starfleet gets confronted with many interesting challenges, space anomalies, war, greed and has sometimes a tough time to uphold its own high ethical standards. I'm not trying to sell TNG and DS9 to you here but believe me, but there are some fantastic episodes out there.

New Trek is everything but that. I'm not even sure what it wants to be after Picard, other than dystopian Trumpland 2.0 featuring the main plot from Mass Effect. New Trek doesn't want to be Star Trek. I think that's clear, but the writing and stories are not good enough to stand on their own. Bad dialogues, plot holes, and ideas that have not been thought out well.

For me, new Trek is dumped down space fantasy with bad writers. It has been botched in every conceivable way. Not able and willing to uphold the original vision, while being too incompetent to build something new At least the production values and flashy spectacles looked nice.

I take a good, original TNG Picard speech over the entire seasons of new Trek Picard any day. For example when Picard fought for Datas right to not be recreated. Because that's exactly what happened in TNG and StarFleet decided that creating a race of sacrificial androids doing labor is the same as enslavement. The writers of new trek Picard just forgot about that. They also forgot that the Romulan Space Empire is huge. They also forgot that many stars will eventually turn into super novas and that that's not something that happens spontaneously. It takes an exceptionally long time and the Romulan space empire would have had decades to evacuate their home system. Unless they are righteous idiots. But who cares about all that when you can have explosions and people screaming "that's the power of math", phasers, Picard dressing like a pimp and people getting their eyes cut out.

That's the power of bad writing. Hell, yeah!

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
You like what you like.

Star Trek is a utopic show about a better mankind. One that prefers diplomatic solutions over violence but doesn't back off from a fight if necessary. Starfleet isn't a military organization; they are professional explorers, scientists, and diplomates. Overseen by a democratic, multispecies government.
There are bad apples though even in their own ranks and Starfleet gets confronted with many interesting challenges, space anomalies, war, greed and has sometimes a tough time to uphold its own high ethical standards. I'm not trying to sell TNG and DS9 to you here but believe me, but there are some fantastic episodes out there.

New Trek is everything but that. I'm not even sure what it wants to be after Picard, other than dystopian Trumpland 2.0 featuring the main plot from Mass Effect. New Trek doesn't want to be Star Trek. I think that's clear, but the writing and stories are not good enough to stand on their own. Bad dialogues, plot holes, and ideas that have not been thought out well.

For me, new Trek is dumped down space fantasy with bad writers. It has been botched in every conceivable way. Not able and willing to uphold the original vision, while being too incompetent to build something new At least the production values and flashy spectacles looked nice.

I take a good, original TNG Picard speech over the entire seasons of new Trek Picard any day. For example when Picard fought for Datas right to not be recreated. Because that's exactly what happened in TNG and StarFleet decided that creating a race of sacrificial androids doing labor is the same as enslavement. The writers of new trek Picard just forgot about that. They also forgot that the Romulan Space Empire is huge. They also forgot that many stars will eventually turn into super novas and that that's not something that happens spontaneously. It takes an exceptionally long time and the Romulan space empire would have had decades to evacuate their home system. Unless they are righteous idiots. But who cares about all that when you can have explosions and people screaming "that's the power of math", phasers, Picard dressing like a pimp and people getting their eyes cut out.

That's the power of bad writing. Hell, yeah!
Dang, that's disappointing. I've heard some good stuff about the themes that the ST series aimed for, so them not being prevalent in this is disappointing :/

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
TNG was the best.
A compelling argument can also be made for DS9, although TNG will always be number one in my heart. I don't think that DS9 ever quite reached the incredible highs of individual episodes of TNG but I enjoyed its serialized story a lot and the supporting cast was just stellar. So TNG in first place and DS9 in second but it's pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.