Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
isnt that aways displayed? it shows for me at least.
It is displayed if you have subscribed. However, if you have paused, you cannot see how much you could save by un-pausing.

If I can interject here, I think you are quite right about Garry's argument. I would just temper it with the fact that Steam provides value over time, not simply once. The cut they take is justified in principle based on the services and market they provide, though the amount is another matter.
True. Funnily enough, I have discovered some of Steam's features, such as SteamInput, thanks to discussions about Epic Games store. :kappa:

I am sure many people do not realize how many quality-of-life features there are on Steam. Like, if one does not read a gaming forum, or if one does not have a hardcore gamer among one's friends, it is easy to miss some of these. Once you know about them, it is a game changer.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Avengers beta plays (obviously) much better on PC. However I sadly found the combat to be somwhat uninteresting and repetive, mainly due to the same enemies over and over again.

Reactions: yuraya

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

This one comes unexpected for me at least

The cut they take is justified in principle based on the services and market they provide, though the amount is another matter.
That was my point on previews tweets. The % cut or to put it simple which could be a fair cut considering Steam is no longer a developer but also provides services and other tools/features for devs and the community. Tryng to find a balance cut is probably what many devs have been trying to discuss

Reason: added context + typos
Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Agent

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
It is a free app, could they also ban redownloading?
Yes, you bought skins etc. on the store, but it is provided by Epic. So Epic has to ensure that you have access to those. Either by sideloading on Android or... dunno on Apple, Epic could refund all of it though :>
Is crossprogression a thing? If they have access to those skins on console or PC, apple and Google could argue that the skins are not tied to their ecosystem.
even if it was a paid app it could be removed from re downloading by apple. in the case of fortnite i believe purchases are crossplatform so you could still have access to them on android/console/pc if you bought them on the ios app. the only non-crossplatform purchases/items are skins that were ps exclusive.

fortnite is still available on android now, because it is available on the samsung store and epic launcher. also sideloading is possible if you want to go that route. it was just removed on play store because of epic's payment system. google allows alternate payment systems in apps but not if your app is on the play store.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Schreier is a piece of shit. Unfortunate that because he is one of the only journos willing to do, uh, journalism, he has become some sort of god in some circles.
Well, gotta try to separate the art from the artist, I guess.
I respect his work greatly. He should leave social media but probably needs it to do his job, so he wastes his time trying to convince people he's right.

Is he too comfortable with devs? I can't say that. Does he have dev friend whom he backs up? Clearly.

I wouldn't waste your time people.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
It is displayed if you have subscribed. However, if you have paused, you cannot see how much you could save by un-pausing.
Oh, right, that is true and would be good if displayed. It would benefit Humble too, showing "you could save this much by subbing to Choice" or something like that.

Reactions: Tomasety

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I think one could make at least the start of an argument by claiming that smartphones are (i) general purpose devices and (ii) necessary for public life to some extent these days, while consoles are neither of those things, and therefore smartphones need to be more regulated.

But if you do make that argument I'd say that then they clearly are a utility and the basic level of service should be state-run.
That's an interesting argument to explore. Smartphones started out as specialized devices and evolved into their general-purpose use, perhaps consoles could one day follow the same path.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
The Google lawsuit in particular came out of nowhere and shows how disingenuous they are. It's not about Walled Gardens this time. It's just about them wanting to utilize a platform and its userbase without paying a dime.

It echoes the way Epic behaves on PC, wanting all the market without having to offer value for it.
according to the google lawsuit there is some shady tactics from google as well. supposedly google blocked the epic launcher from being preloaded on oneplus phones by threatening oneplus and also working with LG to block sideloading apps on LG devices.

also i guess you can only have youtube/google/"google partner network" ads for your app if it is available in the play store?

Reactions: Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
according to the google lawsuit there is some shady tactics from google as well. supposedly google blocked the epic launcher from being preloaded on oneplus phones by threatening oneplus and also working with LG to block sideloading apps on LG devices.

also i guess you can only have youtube/google/"google partner network" ads for your app if it is available in the play store?
That's a good point, though in general the OEM preloading is a practice that I find highly distasteful. The bloating of devices with crapware that has no purpose other than to serve those of those app's owner makes me wish the practice would be outright illegal. It is in practice advertising on a product you paid for. Google indeed seems not to have played fair but it reflects badly on Epic to have wanted it in the first place.

The usual when it comes to both companies, I guess.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Not sure if this is frowned upon but since the conversation on this is happening across multiple threads i just made a catch all

also cause i imagine people are gonna be tired of hearing about it soon enough so they can just ignore that thread :p

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
good to know Mexico, Chile, Brazil, Colombia, and Argentina are apparently among the wealthiest countries on the planet

good fucking job, microsoft ...

Tell Me Why
jezzz whyyyy, why they think in south america everything is fine...

Reactions: lashman

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So, I'm playing the Avengers Beta, and the menus in game does't work, you can't click on anything with kb&m, not even with a controller, so thats nice...

Reactions: Stevey
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
jezzz whyyyy, why they think in south america everything is fine...
it's not just that ... all of those countries i listed got a price bump YESTERDAY

all of them were just below US in pricing (as in: the price was still absolute fucking shit, but at least it was lower than the US price) until yesterday ...

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The Avengers Beta is so doll.

The San Francisco level is okay and well executed, for the most part. Later two levels with The Hulk and Miss Marvel feel outdated from a level design approach.
Playing Hulk is bad, you feel like Bud Spencer slapping enemies instead of like almighty Hulk smashing things. Probably because everything needs more hits than necessary. (Full Disclaimer: I love Bud Spencer & Terence Hill movies).

Playing as Ms.Marvel is a bit more fun, but she doesn't come off as an interesting character in the hour I spend with her in the beta. She is super excited about seeing Avengers artifacts, exploring the carrier, talking to Jarvis while I as a player am trapped in this uncanny valley of "those are not THE avengers" and therefore her and my excitement levels are not the same. Her "I'm a monster, because I have super powers" short outburst didn't fit her general excitement during game play and I do not understand her problem to be honest. What's the negative effect of her power?

Loot as a motivation doesn't work for me. It isn't being reflected as equipment on characters and doesn't change anything during gameplay. I didn't feel like gaining anything from it.

Playing as Iron Man and Black Widow is the most fun to me. But so far I'd say it's a 7/10. It's not bad, but I'd only recommend it to fans.

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So, I'm playing the Avengers Beta, and the menus in game does't work, you can't click on anything with kb&m, not even with a controller, so thats nice...
I got to a certain point in the "second" Hulk tutorial where I had to to some upgrades and stuff in the menu and the game "stopped" working, couldnt' do anything. It didn't freeze or crash or anything, seemed like it didn't take in any of my kb/m inputs.

Reactions: ISee

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I got to a certain point in the "second" Hulk tutorial where I had to to some upgrades and stuff in the menu and the game "stopped" working, couldnt' do anything. It didn't freeze or crash or anything, seemed like it didn't take in any of my kb/m inputs.
Happened to me, had to alt+f4

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Arrow keys on the keyboard worked for me in that situation.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
good to know Mexico, Chile, Brazil, Colombia, and Argentina are apparently among the wealthiest countries on the planet

good fucking job, microsoft ...

Tell Me Why
I wish there were an easy solution to this problem. Enforcing default regional prices doesn't seem lik somethin Valve would do. On the other hand, we all know that suggested regional prices are just "a suggestion" and for many publishers is just wet paper.
Enforcing doesn't seem to be the best approach, giving a suggested price doesn't help either in most cases so what could Valve do to improve this horrible situation? Or maybe I'm being naive and Valve can't really do anything?

Reason: typos
Reactions: lashman and Swenhir

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Who's that guy again? ^^"

I thought that was your actual question, that's an unfortunate name :p
Ex Valve employee.

I guess he must have had a very bad experience at Valve and just hates them.

He did this one very long Twitter thread some time ago about him complaining about working at Valve.
PS I payed $165USD for the N/S Samurai Jack CE........ Ya..... The game better be good/decent at best.....

I purchased it since the series itself it good and you don't really see that much Samurai Jack stuff out there (so collectibles and all that)

Reactions: Swenhir

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Can you not play as Cap, Tony or Thor in the Avengers beta with the exception of the intro?

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
I wish there were an easy solution to this problem. Enforcing default regional prices doesn't seem lik somethin Valve would do. On the other hand, we all know that suggested regional prices are just "a suggestion" and for many publishers is just wet paper.
Enforcing doesn't seem to be the best approach, giving a suggested price doesn't help either in most cases so what could Valve do to improve this horrible situation? Or maybe I'm being naive and Valve can't really do anything?
I remembered what I read this morning and while is not a solution per se it might be a first step or at least it seems a good thought

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
The Avengers Beta is so doll.

The San Francisco level is okay and well executed, for the most part. Later two levels with The Hulk and Miss Marvel feel outdated from a level design approach.
Playing Hulk is bad, you feel like Bud Spencer slapping enemies instead of like almighty Hulk smashing things. Probably because everything needs more hits than necessary. (Full Disclaimer: I love Bud Spencer & Terence Hill movies).

Playing as Ms.Marvel is a bit more fun, but she doesn't come off as an interesting character in the hour I spend with her in the beta. She is super excited about seeing Avengers artifacts, exploring the carrier, talking to Jarvis while I as a player am trapped in this uncanny valley of "those are not THE avengers" and therefore her and my excitement levels are not the same. Her "I'm a monster, because I have super powers" short outburst didn't fit her general excitement during game play and I do not understand her problem to be honest. What's the negative effect of her power?

Loot as a motivation doesn't work for me. It isn't being reflected as equipment on characters and doesn't change anything during gameplay. I didn't feel like gaining anything from it.

Playing as Iron Man and Black Widow is the most fun to me. But so far I'd say it's a 7/10. It's not bad, but I'd only recommend it to fans.
Yeah, after playing through the tutorial (which is a bit too long for my taste) I generally agree with you. Hulk doesn't feel deadly, his moves are heavy but it takes too long to kill enemies. And we all know the reason, his "power level" is too low as this is a looter game lol. What's worse is that his moves are slow and sometimes the enemis can intercept you before your hit delivers. Khamala feels so much better and more agile, and I feel like I was killing enemies faster with her. She's just pretty fun to control overall.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Avengers beta is dull and uninteresting. I don't like playing as Hulk or Kamala (but between them Kamala was the most enjoyable). Best part of the game was the intro (A-Day).

I don't feel like I have much interest in playing more, so I will probably uninstall it.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Do companies really want to support tiny indies? I personally doubt it.
I actually replied to this on Twitter (which I basically never do) because my entire argument fits in a Tweet: "With such a policy I'd be concerned that it would financially incentivize platform holders to significantly increase the barrier of entry for small projects. (Which could be marketed as improved curation)".

Dec 5, 2018
Do companies really want to support tiny indies? I personally doubt it.
Even if they wanted, something like that doesn't seem a good idea. What would the big players do then? Ask for a similar deal but proportionally adjusted to their target?
And what would incentivize the companies to promote the new games over games that have already broken that arbitrary threshold ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.