Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Just started the steam version. It is 1:1 the UWP win10 version. Steam downloads the launcher and that's it.
I think I'm refunding the steam version.
apparently you can copy the files over at least

Reactions: ISee

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Just started the steam version. It is 1:1 the UWP win10 version. Steam downloads the launcher and that's it.
I think I'm refunding the steam version.
I started downloading the GamePass version last night only to be confronted with that awful download process, I'll wait until they fix that somehow, it's really bad how long it takes - I have a 500 mbit connection and this download is so staggeringly slow... its a shame. I was looking forward to it.

Reactions: ISee

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
CPU limited below 60 FPS on a 3900X is pretty harsh.
Is the game supposed to run at 60 FPS on XSX?

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Anyone else played Necrobarista? This game is weird and not in a positive charming way, despite all reviews i've read to that end.

Story makes no sense, feels like it's being rushed and as if the game started with an introduction missing.
Plus mechanically nothing has been explained either. I'm not sure what the significance of these text stories are, or the word choice thing, or the memories section of the main menu.

Reactions: Li Kao

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
CPU limited below 60 FPS on a 3900X is pretty harsh.
Is the game supposed to run at 60 FPS on XSX?
I don't know.

But considering that I still get drops below thirty when I OC my CPU to 4.4GHz (3733MHz memory and IF at 1866MHz) in New York (which surely is one of the worst-case scenarios). I doubt they can even reach thirty on XSX without some further serious CPU optimization.

By the way, this is non CPU OC performance. Though I'm not sure streaming was working well here...

I might as well down sample the game from 4k on my 1440p screen.

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Maybe I'm dumb but I don't see the suggested price. The only columns I get are Current, Converted and Lowest Recorded.
Go into the Store SUBID of that app. It should be marked with a globe glyph.
Poor Argentinian/Turkish people
This is the way to out publishers as greedy crooks. Who charges +289% above the suggested price?! Fucking Sony Corporation.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Go into the Store SUBID of that app. It should be marked with a globe glyph.

This is the way to out publishers as greedy crooks. Who charges +289% above the suggested price?! Fucking Sony Corporation.
I have the feeling it's because of VPN talk I've reading about lately. LIke some communities on Steam were promoting to use VPN on those particular countries so devs just punished whole countries for the abuse of a few.
It's a shitty practice on publishers and also on abusers equally.

Reason: typos
Reactions: Rogue Agent

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
You should just restart the game until it starts downloading.
I have done that since yesterday, used the Kiribati region yesterday.

Also deleted the folder I chose to download the 90+ gb on.

Nothing works so far.

It starts to download a smaller file that takes about 50 seconds and then it's just "Please wait...".

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Thank you Tomasety and Kvik.

Holy crap, the Turks are getting a really unfair price. And FS2020's regional pricing is a damn joke. Look at all that red.
Certainly. This will probably heat some fire up on Steamworks group. I can see many publishers screaming out to Valve without sense.
My only hope is that the consequence of the available information may bring better regional pricing across major publishers.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I have the feeling it's because of VPN talk I've reading about lately. LIke some communities on Steam were promoting to use VPN on those particular countries so devs just punished whole countries for the abuse of a few.
It's a shitty practice on publishers and also on abusers equally.
As far as I'm aware, "just VPN into a different country and buy for cheap" has not been working for quite a while anymore. Iirc you now need a payment method issued for that country if you want to switch you store region.

Hm, this is actually more recent than I thought, but it's been already steadily getting more difficult over the years.
Don' think it will change much though for regional prices. That VPN stuff was never the actual reason, it was just a convenient scapegoat.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
The developer of Eastshade put out a fairly comprehensive and interesting post-mortem about the game on his devblog.

It's a long read but it covers a lot of topics including how he got started in indie game development, how he managed the team size, his desired design goals and how they achieved them, their marketing efforts, what went right, what went wrong, what they should have done differently, the unexpected catastrophes that hit the project, how much money they made, working on different platforms and more.

It's an insightful piece and even rather touching at times. Worth checking out in my opinion. I would also reiterate my recommendation for the game itself; anyone who enjoys 'walking simulators' should give it a go. It's gorgeous, sweet and quite unique, even if I wouldn't call it a masterpiece or anything like that.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Certainly. This will probably heat some fire up on Steamworks group. I can see many publishers screaming out to Valve without sense.
My only hope is that the consequence of the available information may bring better regional pricing across major publishers.
I certainly hope so but the size of the crowd ready to defend Microsoft boggles my mind. Either they are astroturfers or bloody idiots, but you wouldn't believe the sutff people told me on reddit. Bring up regional pricing on r/games? Hope you like being downvoted.

Makes me wonder about vote manipulation in general to be honest. Every thread about Microsoft oddly seems to draw lunatics out of the woodwork trying to gaslight you about stuff that is common sense.

Reactions: ISee and Tomasety

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The developer of Eastshade put out a fairly comprehensive and interesting post-mortem about the game on his devblog.

It's a long read but it covers a lot of topics including how he got started in indie game development, how he managed the team size, his desired design goals and how they achieved them, their marketing efforts, what went right, what went wrong, what they should have done differently, the unexpected catastrophes that hit the project, how much money they made, working on different platforms and more.

It's an insightful piece and even rather touching at times. Worth checking out in my opinion. I would also reiterate my recommendation for the game itself; anyone who enjoys 'walking simulators' should give it a go. It's gorgeous, sweet and quite unique, even if I wouldn't call it a masterpiece or anything like that.
Steam is by far our biggest market share. In fact, I would call our console launch a faceplant. Our sales were about 10% of what we expected them to be. A few months ago, we were fortunate that Microsoft featured us on the family homepage, and Xbox sales have picked up substantially since then. Playstation has remained a trickle, and our PS4 release was hardly worth it for us, especially considering what a difficult platform it is to release on, from both a development and administrative perspective.

As far as PC stores other than Steam, we only launched on Itch.io. We occasionally get asked if we will release on GoG, but I decided the market share is too small for the headache an additional storefront is to maintain. We’d love to be on Epic Game Store, but we’ve been unable to get any response from them (if a relevant person at Epic is reading this, please hit me up!).
Epic should get on the phone and put it on the Epic Store too. There's no reason not to have it on Epic Store. Im all for a game being released on as many storefronts/platforms as possible.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Epic should get on the phone and put it on the Epic Store too. There's no reason not to have it on Epic Store. Im all for a game being released on as many storefronts/platforms as possible.
With the exception of a few AAA-games, Epic doesn't even allow games on EGS if they are released on Steam as well. Epic is scummy as hell.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
With the exception of a few AAA-games, Epic doesn't even allow games on EGS if they are released on Steam as well. Epic is scummy as hell.
They have been more open to non-exclusive games lately (Hellpoint, Spongebob, Destroy All Humans, Horizon etc.) so they can still do it.

Reactions: PC-tan
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Let's see what excuse they use now.
they won't use any ... just like they didn't with the VPN stuff ... they haven't said anything about that before

hell, they haven't said ANYTHING AT ALL ... people just assumed it was because of VPNs

remember when EA bumped prices for their old shit on steam and the only reason why anyone even noticed was because they also bumped EU and UK prices? and then how all the gaming websites asked EA what's going on there ... and how EA just completely ignored everyone?

yeah ... it'll just be more of that

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
they won't use any ... just like they didn't with the VPN stuff ... they haven't said anything about that before

hell, they haven't said ANYTHING AT ALL ... people just assumed it was because of VPNs

remember when EA bumped prices for their old shit on steam and the only reason why anyone even noticed was because they also bumped EU and UK prices? and then how all the gaming websites asked EA what's going on there ... and how EA just completely ignored everyone?

yeah ... it'll just be more of that
I was under the assumption that they used it as an excuse, as a lot of people seemed to point to it as the reason to rise the prices.

Reactions: lashman
Dec 5, 2018
They have been more open to non-exclusive games lately (Hellpoint, Spongebob, Destroy All Humans, Horizon etc.) so they can still do it.
I mean horizon is an AAA, and spongebob and Destroy all humans are from Embracer, and hellpoint is from tinybuild (?) who already made some deals in the past.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Flight Sim
Added to the pile of reasons I'm loathing Microsoft more and more. It's a shame Asobo and a damn good sim are caught in their clutches.

They have a world-class delivery system, yet use a launcher that doesn't seem to justify its existence much given that it has to redownload a crapload of data all the time anyway. That would be fine if it didn't void the refund policy to the tune of American's data caps burning.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
They are gonna rise to price as much as they can get away with. That's why I never believed that games would be cheaper with a lower cut.
exactly - they won't be ... hell, they already aren't

the ONLY time that happened with egs is for Metro Exodus ... and only as a publicity stunt anyway, since it was $50 only in the US, and the rest of the world got the standard price

so yeah, not gonna happen ... trickle down doesn't work ... never did

Dec 5, 2018

the ONLY time that happened with egs is for Metro Exodus ... and only as a publicity stunt anyway, since it was $50 only in the US, and the rest of the world got the standard price

I could see some GAAS game, selling the base game for cheaper, but adding more MTX. But then companies like ubisoft sell their base game for peanuts like a few months later so nothing would change.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Yeah, a lower cut was only ever meant to benefit the seller, not the buyer. And honestly I couldnt care less if a publisher gets several millions more - or if those millions go to Valve/Epic/GOG/Microsoft/Sony/Apple/whatever - thats not in my interest. If anything, my interest would be that more money goes to the platform holder, so that those platforms - and my digital library with them - stay financially secure for the future. Games get made all the time, and we have a much higher number of quality titles now than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.