Community MetaSteam | August 2021 - Openness Is Its Superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
That's Final Fantasy 1 done! I'm honestly shocked by how good these turned out to be. I honestly didn't think Square-Enix had it in them. Hopefully this is the baseline of effort/quality we can expect for rereleases in the future. Not whatever the fuck was going on with the previous remakes of FFV-VI and that abysmal Chrono Trigger port.

I'm now left more confused than ever by this company, though. Usually there's no telling if and when they'll port any given game to PC. But here you have these really high quality remakes of the first 6 games in their flagship franchise and they're basically de facto Steam exclusives? Like, what? I'm sure they'll release some kind of collection for consoles once all six are out but it's still so baffling to me that PC is seemingly getting preferential treatment here considering their track record. Then again, as far as I'm aware, there's been no sign of Collection of Mana and Collection of Saga releasing on anything but Switch, so once more: who the fuck knows with this company?

Also, I know there's that HD3D remake coming up but now I really need them to do Dragon Quest Pixel Remasters. Dragon Quest I-VI on Steam. Do it, you cowards!

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Thinking about Psychonauts 2, whether I should play it as soon as it's available or wait for a new GPU. Decisions, decisions.

People were saying those FF Pixel Remasters got a patch to address the jutter? Did they really?

Also, new thread! Awesome!
Fan patch I believe.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Here is my bad take for the month.

Chrono Trigger prices are not as bad as I thought. I think that the SNES game has been selling for $200+ for some time now (I'm not 100% sure if that has always been the case for just the cartridge or if that was CIB type stuff).

Now on to the DS version, just remember that up until 2017 (2018?) SE was actually still selling that game new for around $20 during a sale on the SE store (and even with shipping it would still be under $40) I think that the DS version also includes a physical map or poster or something like that but I could be wrong.

So I looked at those prices and for a used copy (CIB type stuff) it's still under $100 which is not too bad of a price for a DS game, people were making it sound like the DS version was now being sold for like $200 or something.

Also I'm so glad that I have the DQ games for DS and 3DS because the prices for those have sky rocketed. Some of the prices for stuff like DQVI was already pretty high when I bought my copy in 2017 for around $80USD

Quick comparison. Back in 2017, out of DQ IV,V,VI,VII,VIII, and DQ IX, it was DQ VI that was the rarest one and you could only get at the SE store or something and thats why it was being sold used CIB for around $80-100 at the time and all of the other games you could still get new for under $50!!!!!! (I'd say even lower than $40). During this time you could buy DQ VII and DQ VIII very easily at places like GameStop and not only that sometimes they would even have the game used (CIB/"gutted") for $25!!!! And not only that but those copies would some times even say "clearance"......... You could have purchased them for around $30 back then and selling them for $80 now. Now on to the DS games I was able to buy DQ IV for $20 new on Amazon, now the price for a used copy goes for at least $100 to as much as $150. With DQ VI that was $80 at the time used and what I'm most surprised about is how the prices didn't sky rocket since the going price for a used copy seems to still go for as low as $100 for CIB to as "much" as $150 and even then a "new" sealed copy seems to just be $150-$200 anyway so that's not really that big of a price jump from pre-owned to new (even listing that are just the cartridge by itself are like $70, and CIB seems to average at $100) now let's talk about DQ V.......oh boy (now DQ V is highly regarded and is the other DQ games asides from DQ III that also gets a lot of praise). At one point in 2017 I think that you could still get this new I think for at least $40? Maybe even lower than that, I can't remember where I got my copy but I'm pretty sure that I got mine brand new. Now the prices for that one have sky rocket like mad, especially if you were able to get a new sealed copy in 2017 for under $50? The price is now between $200-$250 for CIB Used.

It's because of that that I'm not really "fazed" by the price of Chrono Trigger at about $100. I will likely try to get a copy in the next few months.

I also looked into the World Ends with You on the DS and that's about $80USD for CIB and I think that use to be maybe under $30 for CIB.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way I am only Missing DQ X otherwise I own all of DQ I-XI. DQ I-XI as part of the physical switch version, DQ IV-DQ IX physical copies on DS/3DS and DQXI in physical and digital (I have 2 PS4 copies of the game, I have the N/S physical copy of DQ XIS and I have a Steam copy of the OG DQ XI release) all that's missing is DQ X but that is an MMO, there do seem to be plans to make an offline mode I think for the game, I may end up buying a N/S physical copy of that game and maybe one day there will be a fan mod that translates all of the stuff (just for the hell of it I think I might also buy a box of the PC version of the game that's just a code but because of restrictions I won't even be able to use that code so it will pretty much just be a box.

• Eyes
Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

thistestnow

*doom noises*
Feb 16, 2021

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
The new download page is really nice just a few minor gripes.

I am not sure if this is a new feature, but dear lord is it one I hope more devs use. There is a direct link to the patch notes:

Takes you right to the patch notes within the downloads page:

I am guessing this is one of those features that has always been there, but if so, it is way better highlighted.

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
Is it a new month already?!

I'm looking forward to Black Book's release. The demo from whichever Steam festival was really engrossing.

• Comfy
  • This!
Reactions: lashman and Cacher

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I'm glad that other folks are enjoying Fuga, but man. It's still not doing so hot...
I am genuinely surprised. I picked it up and need to dive in futher, but it seems like it checks so many boxes.

I know there were weird pricing issues on consoles. My only thought was launching with zero discount and no third party sites may hurt a bit of opportunistic sales on PC.

Reactions: lashman

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Almost hit a road block in Lost Heroes, the game shifted to some weird robot segment with a new turn-based combat system and I started getting beat down. :frowning-face-with-open-mouth:

The enemies relentlessly chase you around the map until you kill them or reach a safe zone. I want to get back to the part I was enjoying :blobrigged:

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Chrono Trigger prices are not as bad as I thought. I think that the SNES game has been selling for $200+ for some time now (I'm not 100% sure if that has always been the case for just the cartridge or if that was CIB type stuff).

Now on to the DS version, just remember that up until 2017 (2018?) SE was actually still selling that game new for around $20 during a sale on the SE store (and even with shipping it would still be under $40) I think that the DS version also includes a physical map or poster or something like that but I could be wrong.
This post got me looking into my DS/3DS collection and I discovered that I actually bought Chrono Trigger at some point. No map or poster as far as I can tell, unless it's inside the box.

This was years ago when none of this stuff was ever expected to land on Steam. Now this version has been superseded by both the Steam and iOS versions.

Incidentally I also found sealed NDS copies of Ghost Trick and GTA Chinatown War,s and it occurred to me that I rebought all 3 of these games on iOS. Mildly amused that iOS of all platforms is where these games are preserved for now.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Oh my god there's now a pixelated font mod for the FF Pixel Remasters. They're perfect now. :steam_pigblanket:

I mean, an official patch to fix the technical issues would be nice, obviously, but the tearing thing is easily fixed by forcing vsync at the driver level and I can't say I really notice (or understand, tbh) what the problem is with the scrolling thing. So for me the font was really the only big issue.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
This month is stacked but I'm totally psyched to finally play the full Humankind. I really enjoyed my early betas with it. It's like a very polished mesh of Endless Legend (one of the more creative 4X I've played) and Civ. And I am gonna educate everyone with science whether they want to learn or not, damnit.

If I had more time some of the other city management ones this month look great but I'm still just getting into Cities:Skylines for the first time really (played a few vestigial cities years ago). I'm also still working on Hitman 1+2 at like 1 stage per 2 weeks.

Reactions: lashman

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
The new download page is really nice just a few minor gripes.

I am not sure if this is a new feature, but dear lord is it one I hope more devs use. There is a direct link to the patch notes:

Takes you right to the patch notes within the downloads page:

I am guessing this is one of those features that has always been there, but if so, it is way better highlighted.
I think there was just link to news.
Now it's actual link to patch notes, if dev chose one.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Almost hit a road block in Lost Heroes, the game shifted to some weird robot segment with a new turn-based combat system and I started getting beat down. :frowning-face-with-open-mouth:

The enemies relentlessly chase you around the map until you kill them or reach a safe zone. I want to get back to the part I was enjoying :blobrigged:
Sucks to hear that you are not enjoying it :disappointed-face:

Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Thanks for the great thread lashman. Can't believe how fast time is moving...
This month is super stacked, as was July and June before it, and I can't believe Humankind is finally releasing.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Remember to wishlist

The few min I played on EGS (promo code) last year was amazing, but stopped as I wanted it on Steam.

While typing that made me realize that I rarely ask for EGS promo codes anymore, I did it before if a game was EGS exclusive and I really wanted to play it, but didn't wanna pay on EGS. Now I just wait for Steam release. The last 2 games I got EGS promo codes for was Chivalry 2 and Arcadegeddon I think, both games that I like, but I don't play because I can't bother with the launcher. Also sucks with Chivalry 2 going downhill from everything I can see as the gameplay is a lot of fun. Every patch introduces some new fuckery.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Thanks as always @lashman you studly man you 😘
Nice thread
Thanks lashman for the thread, amazing as always. :face-throwing-a-kiss:
Thanks for your threads month after month lashman they are my home :photoblobheart:
Thanks lashman for the awesome thread as always! :cat-heart-blob: :cat-heart-blob:
Beautiful thread. One more month until summer is finally over, hang in there everyone!
Thank you for the thread lashman
Thanks @lashman ! :cat-heart-blob:
Thanks @lashman for such a great and quick work.
Thanks for the great thread @lashman. Can't believe how fast time is moving...
Thanks for the thread lashman
thank you all ... you're the best!!!

:wd_heart:

I am not sure if this is a new feature, but dear lord is it one I hope more devs use.

yes, i also wish more devs would use it

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
For me there are 2 games hopefully getting released this month. Both previously EGS exclusive. The Alto collection and The Last Campfire. Both I believe released in August last year.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
"Hackers" is an interesting term to use, I'm assuming for the click bait since the PS4 players were just abusing an in-game exploit.
I think it's not so far off though.

If you are a low-lever player, the practical effect on your experience of someone using that exploit to farm rank in your game, and the effect of someone cheating more traditionally seem very similar.

I'm glad that other folks are enjoying Fuga, but man. It's still not doing so hot...
I won't lie, the character designs do nothing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.