Community MetaSteam | August 2021 - Openness Is Its Superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Fucking bullshit, Boyfriend Dungeon crashes on game pass PC.

I just wanna demo it. Can never rely on this shit service for anything other than technical trouble.

Might as well pirate it, at least piracy works.

This reminded me of GabeN: “One thing that we have learned is that piracy is not a pricing issue. It’s a service issue,” “The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Anime has been partially defeated.

:evilblob:

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
There was a question about what Harebrained Schemes is doing nowadays.
I do not know what they are developing.
But there was this tidbit in the financial report of Paradox Interactive for 2020 (from April 2021):
HAREBRAINED SCHEMES
Seattle, Washington - 68 employees
Founded: 2011
Description: Founded in 2011, Harebrained Schemes is known for
its award-winning Shadowrun and Battletech series that combine
exciting tactical gameplay with nuanced and engaging stories.
Acquired by Paradox Interactive in 2018, HBS has grown to support
two full project teams.
The studio released BATTLETECH in April,
2018. Since then it has supported the game with a series of regular
free updates and a Season Pass of expansions.
Developed games: BATTLETECH, Shadowrun, Necropolis.
So it seems that they are actually working on two titles now since they finished the work on Battletech :blobeyes:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
XCloud works perfectly fine to demo games. Much better than Steam, piracy, etc.

It took me less time to start the game (without downloading it), than to write this post.

I get really bad latency on Xcloud, so no, far worse than Steam and piracy.

Stadia is actually the best cloud service Ive tried so far.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Didn't Valve say they are working with those anti cheat tools to get them to play nice with Proton? I think there was even one developer of a big multiplayer game (forgot the name sadly) that said he already saw it running on Deck, implying they are working with valve on this.
Yeah, but I'm talking about anti-cheats used only by non-Steam devs. I don't see Valve worki g with Riot to make Vanguard work on Linux, because what's the incentive?

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
New historical lowest price for:

Iratus: Lord of the Dead -76% - €5.37 - Using discount code "ALLYOUCANPLAY"

Yeah, but I'm talking about anti-cheats used only by non-Steam devs. I don't see Valve worki g with Riot to make Vanguard work on Linux, because what's the incentive?
League of Legends was available to purchase during a few hours or days on Steam a decade ago if I recall correct, might be enough incentive but then again I don't think they even have thought about this particular case.

• Toucan
  • Eyes
Reactions: Yoshi and lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, don't see them doing much for non-Steam games. To be fair, the thing is called the "SteamDeck", it's kinda in the name which platform the focus is. Just as Proton itself just exists to make Linux a more viable platform for Steam.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
  • Toucan
Reactions: dummmyy and Wok

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Started playing a bit of Resonance of Fate, and this might be my favourite combat system of any JRPG yet , at least when you're playing the way it wants you too. The setting doesn't seem super original, so far, typical floating city thing, essentially and the game doesn't seem very interested in explaining anything. But honestly, if the combat keeps being this fun, the story cutscenes might as well just be random noise, I'll still enjoy the game.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
FromSoftware make other games other than Souls challenge. Ubisoft get shit on because 'they make the same game every year' yet From does the same and gets praise. I don't get it.
You and me both but you'll get shouted down in most places if you dare question this. From recycles more assets and mechanics than most AAA houses but because their game design clicks with people a certain way, nothing about them is questioned. Fortunately, this has been changing a little of late.

I think they deserve to be criticized for it at the very least. The way so many flaws of these games persist nearly a decade after DS1 is really grating for me.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
And no Sekiro, BB, and Dark Souls are not that different from each other to really count.
I mean, they are sufficiently different from each other that Sekiro does nothing for me while I love Dark Souls.

So if they are insufficiently different to count as actual variety then I'd want From to stick to making actual Souls-likes rather than having those use up a kinda-sorta-but-not-really Soulslike slot :p

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I love Souls games but let Miyazaki make a new Armored Core please
The last AC designs I saw make me second this motion. From has a lot of issues, but art direction and design is not one of them. This is an aesthetic I would really like to see them apply to current gen hardware and techniques. That being said, I'd also like them to do something that is, for once, not retreading old paths :).

thistestnow

*doom noises*
Feb 16, 2021
I was setting up an emulator to play Castlevania Symphony of the Night again, when I remembered I had never played Rondo of Blood before, and thought eh why not. Since I learned SOTN is a direct sequel.

Spent about 1 1/2 hours figuring out where to get it running on PC...... and I'm so glad I did.

Easily one of, if not my favourite Castlevania game, so good. Shame it isn't more popular due to it taking forever for a "proper" release outside of Japan.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I tried Apex on N/S today after not playing it for a while and oh boy.... The game does have performance issues and stuff but that's okay and not a big issue if that's the only way you can play the game. What I did find surprising was just how uncomfortable it was to play that game in handheld mode.

I can't imagine trying to play this with gyro in handheld.

• Sad
Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
I mean, they are sufficiently different from each other that Sekiro does nothing for me while I love Dark Souls.
Exactly. Also, tons of people who didn't like Dark Souls loved Bloodborne.

They might look incredibly similar to a casual observer but they all have such a different focus that I can only assume someone dismissing them all as "the same thing" simply hasn't played them. Because the differences are obvious if you actually play them.

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
You and me both but you'll get shouted down in most places if you dare question this. From recycles more assets and mechanics than most AAA houses but because their game design clicks with people a certain way, nothing about them is questioned. Fortunately, this has been changing a little of late.

I think they deserve to be criticized for it at the very least. The way so many flaws of these games persist nearly a decade after DS1 is really grating for me.
I'm the kind of guy who thinks FromSoft has been progressively going downhill since Demon's Souls (Sekiro excepted) but I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with recycling assets; wasting development money and time on remaking stuff or trying to create completely new things from scratch (something that is greatly limited by skill and imagination) unnecessarily is kind of silly.
I'll grant you that the games mostly play the same (Sekiro excepted) but not entirely. Saying they recycle more mechanics than most AAA houses seems slightly unfair; they do plenty of refinement on combat, be it reworking poise, power stances, weapon arts, Rally, etc. that isn't just changing values/aesthetics (trick weapons), it's just that focusing on that particular aspect is somewhat misguided (I do wish they'd focus more on varied encounter/enemy design instead, not to mention level design).

And with that out of the way.
What's even worse than the persisting flaws are the flaws that they fixed and then went on to unfix with the next game. Why did they add lifegems to DS2? Why did they not have unique NG+ enemy placement in DS3? Why did both have warping from the start? Well, I know the answer, it's because they were poorly designed. Maybe it was ignorance, maybe laziness, maybe lack of time, maybe lack of budget, maybe director changes, whatever the reason: it resulted in a series of games that very obviously failed to live up to their potential.
What really grates me though, isn't so much persisting or unfixed flaws, but the increasing focus and reliance on combat and difficult roll-bonanza boss fights, as though those were the reasons people fell in love with Demon's and Dark Souls in the first place. Let's be honest here, Souls combat just isn't that good.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I tried Apex on N/S today after not playing it for a while and oh boy.... The game does have performance issues and stuff but that's okay and not a big issue if that's the only way you can play the game. What I did find surprising was just how uncomfortable it was to play that game in handheld mode.

I can't imagine trying to play this with gyro in handheld.
Gyro is good on controllers but I never use it on handheld mode. Way too uncomfortable to move the system around. Therefore, I wouldn't use it on the Deck, too.

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
The thread of my play history of 2021 :face-with-tears-of-joy:

• Comfy
Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.