Community MetaSteam | August 2021 - Openness Is Its Superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
The graphic option in Art of Rally on game pass PC is somewhat fucked. Can't change country (stuck in Afgnaistan) and can't change graphics (stuck on low). Feels like a lot of devs just dumps their games on windows store/game pass PC and move on.

Edit: christ, can't change most of the settings, neither my controller (xbone) nor kb/m works.
Edit 2: the minute I press "shuffle" (which I assume is the button to start playing), the game crashes
That's a real shame because Art of Rally is a cool little game. Its one of those games that is difficult but when it clicks and you string some good corners together it feels great. Hope they fix the game pass issues with it soon.

its just a launcher :fingergunsblob:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I also sometimes think about getting an air purifier. Something (relatively) cheap from Xiaomi or something. I had the Mi Air Purifier 3H bookmarked for a while and that would probably to be totally fine for my use, living where I do. Never pulled the trigger though.

Reactions: lashman

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I am 4h into Horizon Zero Dawn and while i am enjoying story and some gameplay mechanics i must say that i am bit disappointed by quests. People complained about Witcher Sense in Witcher 3 and here you are using same gameplay mechanic even more. Most quest are either fetch quests or go find some poor lost soul and help it. I am still early into the game so i won't judge it yet but in this 4h i was showered in those quests. Also i must say that so far i am not impressed by visuals in this opening area, we will see how other areas will look. All in all i kinda expected more based on that PS4 hype.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im playing Skyward Sword HD on Yuzu because fuck paying 60$ for a game I already bought and didn't like many years ago (haven't reached the point where I stopped playing on my Wii yet on Yuzu, so who knows, might quit this time too).

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
hyped for BG3
She says as she leaves the room while still watching you.

For some reason 2.4k seems like a lot and then when your on Twitter and see it as 2,400 it doesn't seem as much.

Wok I think I might go with one of those Dyson ones, at first I thought they would be a lot more expensive and compared to other they are (I thought they were going to be $1k or something).

I think I'm going to try to aim for one of those and try to get the TP07 one. And hopefully it does it job well and is relatively quite, while also doing it's main task and also helping keep me cool (which has only really been an issue during the summer) other wise it's usually in the 60s where I live

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I am 4h into Horizon Zero Dawn and while i am enjoying story and some gameplay mechanics i must say that i am bit disappointed by quests. People complained about Witcher Sense in Witcher 3 and here you are using same gameplay mechanic even more. Most quest are either fetch quests or go find some poor lost soul and help it. I am still early into the game so i won't judge it yet but in this 4h i was showered in those quests. Also i must say that so far i am not impressed by visuals in this opening area, we will see how other areas will look. All in all i kinda expected more based on that PS4 hype.
Uh oh. I was just about to pull the trigger on it. Please give more impressions as you go.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I bounced off of H:ZD after about 6 hours as i found it boring. Its lovely to look at and and I like the world building but just found the actual playing of it dull. Probably done too many 3rd person open world games and am i bit tired of them, plus RDR2 was the last open world game i played and thats a high bar.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
This is hilarious.

I wonder what's going on there. Some script saying that her eyes have to look in a certain direction / at the other character and the IK doing its best to try and make that happen against all odds?

Magie ist Physik durch Wollen.

But I thought the same, some script that defined that her eyes had to be on the guy and the programmer probably tried to do a look over the shoulder thing, while the engine bruteforced the easiest solution

• This!
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Magie ist Physik durch Wollen.

But I thought the same, some script that defined that her eyes had to be on the guy and the programmer probably tried to do a look over the shoulder thing, while the engine bruteforced the easiest solution
yeah, it definitely seems like she IS supposed to keep looking at the player while walking away

Reactions: Kyougar

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Let me just warn you.
The quests never get much better. There's a few interesting ones, so just bother doing a few that seem interesting. If it asks you to go somewhere get a thing, just assume it's the usual fetch quest, because it is.
This is hilarious.

I wonder what's going on there. Some script saying that her eyes have to look in a certain direction / at the other character and the IK doing its best to try and make that happen against all odds?
I kinda hope they just leave this particular bug in the game. It fits so perfectly with the "won't always be watching" line.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018

A fun article
This article reminded me that I need to re-install the Stanley Parable to get that achievement. Also to give it a replay, such a good game.

I will also second (third or fourth) peoples comments on Horizon, I got bored around 10 hours. Then when they released story mode I went back and completed it because I was enjoying the story side of it.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Don’t usually care too much about achievements but it would be cool if there were a tool that lists the rarest achievements on your Steam account
Maybe I misunderstand what you want, but isn't the "rare achievement showcase" in the profile exactly that?

See the 4th showcase here: Steam Community :: Durante

It's certainly my favorite profile feature, it's very interesting to see what kind of rare achievements you have. Though I guess you are right that it's strange that it's only available (as far as I know) as part of the profile system.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

A fun article
I should be able to get the Stanley Parable achievement. According to Steam the last time I palyed it was around February 2016.

Looking on my achievements stats mostly of the rarest ones I unlocked were from Marvel Heroes Omega.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I quit SSHD. Managed to play a bit more than on the Wii, but lost interest in the first dungeon. I just don't find it as fun and engaging as other Zelda games, story is quite interesting, so I will probably just read and watch some story stuff on YT.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
The strong points of the game for me were the combat (with a mouse) and world building/setting. The side quest design doesn't get better so if you are not enjoying it's probably best to not do everything that pops up.

To be fair, I think vast majority of every openworld game sidequests are one of those two types (fetchs and go to X and fight) but the really good ones try to "dress up" so they aren't that boring. Horizon isn't that good in doing that.

---

And speaking of boring:
  • Decided to play the last DLC for Valhalla. Started the game (haven't played since the previous major DLC)
  • Oh... there is an event/festival going on. As usual there is a little story quest and lots of repeating events to grind for all the items. Did the bare minimum of that.
  • Oh again.. there was a free content in June with repeatable challenge missions to... you guess it, grind for items. Again there is a story quest but the challenges can have come annoying requirements and take like 30 seconds to restart every time.
  • Got bored, closed the game and didn't even start the Paris DLC.

Valhalla really didn't click for me....

• Sad
Reactions: Tomasety

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Oh man, Cheathappens released a trainer for Lawn Mowing Simulator and it has freeze mission timer. Now I can leisurely cut grass and not stress about the timer

Do not comprehend, why has a simulator timed missions?

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Do not comprehend, why has a simulator timed missions?
Mowing the lawn is a timed mission because the faster you go, the more time you have to stay inside playing video games afterwards.

A fun article
According to Steam, my rarest achievement at 0.5% is for defeating a Dragon in TES V: Skyrim.
...Pinball. Skyrim Pinball. For Pinball FX2.
IDK if I'd count that since that's part of a package where you need to purchase each table. IE it counts Pinball FX2 players that don't own that table.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Dammit, looks like there's been an uplift of people playing "We Happy Few" and it's DLC. For years my rarest acheievements sat between 0.10% & 0.50% and now they've gone up to 0.50% and 1%. Gutted.
There's an easy solution. Create tons of new Steam accounts, and buy thousands and thousands of Steam keys for the game and activate them on those accounts. That would bring the overall percentages down again.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Basically:
  • for small games, the chance that a player writes a review varies wildly, but 1% would be a good guess overall. Review multiplier: x100.
  • for big hits, the chance is closer to 3%. Review multiplier: x30.
In a nutshell, people are more likely to write a review for a game which is already extremely popular than for a small indie game that they enjoy. Maybe there is some shame to liking an indie game and self-censorship to recommending it to others, I don't know.
I can't think of anyone I've ever talked to or interacted with that plays smaller games that's even remotely embarrassed about it.

My thinking is this: People who play smaller games play more games, in general. If you play 50+ games a year you are much less likely to leave a review for any given one. Either because it's harder to give a distinct yes-no (as Steam only allows) or because it's too consuming to do so regularly. I know I play a bunch of games every year and it's just exhausting to leave reviews for them. I could leave just a thumbs up or thumbs down but too often there are specific caveats I have and I feel like it would be dishonest to leave a thumbs up when there's a lot of reasons why I would not recommend it.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Hmmmm.. got a handful of bad achievements below 1% on Arkham City and Rise of the Tomb Raider (including that awful endurance mode), but my rarest one by far the stupidest one:

0.60% - 3DMark - Leet Treat - Submit a score that contains the sequence 1337.

Now that takes skill :p

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Maybe I misunderstand what you want, but isn't the "rare achievement showcase" in the profile exactly that?

See the 4th showcase here: Steam Community :: Durante

It's certainly my favorite profile feature, it's very interesting to see what kind of rare achievements you have. Though I guess you are right that it's strange that it's only available (as far as I know) as part of the profile system.
You can sort all your achievements by unlock% on SteamHunters (probably Astats and other trackers too).

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
I quit SSHD. Managed to play a bit more than on the Wii, but lost interest in the first dungeon. I just don't find it as fun and engaging as other Zelda games, story is quite interesting, so I will probably just read and watch some story stuff on YT.
Please read about the dungeon Ancient Cistern. It has a Buddish theme and a reference to Japanese literature "The Spider's Thread" written by Ryunosuke Akutagawa.

Edit: Found a video

Last edited:
  • Gib
Reactions: Li Kao

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
My rarest acheivement is Halo 3: ODST for assassinating 3 Brutes in a row on Data Hive. (0.9%)
Next is from BG2:EE for getting all the Balduran items (1%)

There are a lot of pretty rare achievements in H3:ODST btw. Though you can imagine why, because they are tedious or require you to play though the whole game to get. Thankfully that game is pretty easy playing co-op and you can get a whole slew of achievements in 1 co-op run.

TrishaKit

Dancer
Aug 11, 2021
Apparently my rarest achievement is "Good Hunting, Commander" from Skullgirls. I'm not even good at fighting games, I dunno how I got that haha
After that its "Card Collector" from Freedom Planet and "Mist Walker" from Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. Am a bit proud of that one. I've gotten quickening chains in the 30s lol.
In a nutshell, people are more likely to write a review for a game which is already extremely popular than for a small indie game that they enjoy. Maybe there is some shame to liking an indie game and self-censorship to recommending it to others, I don't know.
That's a shame; small games need those reviews more than any. Don't positive reviews help Steam's algorithm recommend them?

Status
Not open for further replies.