Community MetaSteam | August 2021 - Openness Is Its Superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Weekend PC Game Deals (credit to Neowin)

Bundles:
Humble Big Brain collection
Humble Jackbox Summer Party Bundle

Free Events:
Back 4 Blood open beta
Battlefield 4
Payday 2
PUBG
Frostpunk

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut$23.99 on Steam
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate$23.99 on Steam
Skyrim Special Edition and Fallout 4 G.O.T.Y.$20.78 on Steam
ULTRAKILL - Early Access$16.99 on Steam
Football Manager 2021$16.99 on Fanatical
Monster Hunter: World$16.23 on GreenManGaming
EA SPORTS FIFA 21$14.99 on Steam
Prey and Dishonored 2 Bundle$13.35 on Steam
PAYDAY 2: Legacy Collection$13.17 on Steam
RAGE 2$11.99 on Steam
DUSK$10.99 on Steam
Forza Motorsport 7$9.99 on Microsoft Store
Unravel Two$9.99 on Steam
Sea of Solitude$9.99 on Steam
Not Tonight$9.99 on Steam
Skullgirls 2nd Encore$9.99 on Steam
Titanfall 2: Ultimate Edition$8.99 on Steam
A Way Out$8.99 on Steam
SOULCALIBUR VI$8.99 on Steam
DRAGON BALL FighterZ$8.99 on Steam
Wolfenstein: The Two Pack$8.99 on Steam
Street Fighter V$7.99 on Steam
Frostpunk$7.79 on Fanatical
Expeditions: Viking $7.49 on Steam
BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle$7.19 on Steam
Quake Collection$6.99 on Fanatical
The Evil Within 2$6.65 on IndieGala
West of Loathing$6.15 on Steam
Röki$5.99 on Steam
TEKKEN 7$5.99 on GamesPlanet
Wolfenstein: Youngblood$5.99 on Steam
Crysis Warhead$4.99 on Steam
Fe$4.99 on Steam
Darkest Dungeon$4.99 on Steam
Battlefield 4 Premium Edition$4.79 on Steam
Salt and Sanctuary $4.49 on Humble Store
Battlefield Bad Company 2$3.74 on Steam
Heretic + Hexen Collection$2.99 on Steam
DOOM 64$1.24 on Steam
Rebel Galaxy$0 on Epic Store
Dishonored: Complete Collection - $19.99 on GOG
Prey - $11.99 on GOG
Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition - $7.99 on GOG
What Remains of Edith Finch - $6.99 on GOG
Pyre - $5.99 on GOG
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition - $5.99 on GOG
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - $4.99 on GOG
Transistor - $3.99 on GOG
The Wolf Among Us - $3.74 on GOG
To The Moon - $3.29 on GOG
Finding Paradise - $3.29 on GOG
Oxenfree - $2.99 on GOG
Bastion - $2.99 on GOG
Fallout 2 - $2.99 on GOG
Quake: The Offering - $2.99 on GOG
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - $2.99 on GOG
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes - $1.99 on GOG
Hotline Miami - $1.99 on GOG
The Ultimate DOOM - $1.79 on GOG
Return to Castle Wolfenstein - $1.79 on GOG

If there's anything missing, feel free to suggest and I'll add it to the list :)

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
That 500% is a dramatic figure. I can also summon one up : funding. The old stretch goals were at 6 mil at most. Funding is today at about 379mil. That's a 63-fold increase. This isn't about pursuing the old plan to which you could apply this figure. This is about changing the plan, in which case comparing their delivery dates is just an exercise in absurdity.
I absolutely cannot agree even remotely that receiving way more funding than you thought you needed to deliver something excuses taking over 5 times longer to do so than you originally planned for.

Delivering more with that extra money is fine, but you need to manage the work in such a way that you can deliver what was originally promised in something at least remotely like the originally planned timeframe.

In every professional situation I've been in in my life, including as work package leader on international scientific projects and as CTO at PH3, missing your deadlines is immediately recognized as a failure of project management. Missing some of them by a bit is expected or fine. Missing many of them or missing some by a long time requires a very good explanation.
Missing your project delivery date by years wouldn't happen -- in science, the funding agency would already have cut you off, asked for their money back, and made sure you are never funded again; in an industry project your client would already be suing you. Which is why I have a hard time understanding why pointing to a a project consistently missing its delivery dates as evidence of bad management is controversial at all.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I absolutely cannot agree even remotely that receiving way more funding than you thought you needed to deliver something excuses taking over 5 times longer to do so than you originally planned for.

Delivering more with that extra money is fine, but you need to manage the work in such a way that you can deliver what was originally promised in something at least remotely like the originally planned timeframe.

In every professional situation I've been in in my life, including as work package leader on international scientific projects and as CTO at PH3, missing your deadlines is immediately recognized as a failure of project management. Missing some of them by a bit is expected or fine. Missing many of them or missing some by a long time requires a very good explanation.
Missing your project delivery date by years wouldn't happen -- in science, the funding agency would already have cut you off, asked for their money back, and made sure you are never funded again; in an industry project your client would already be suing you. Which is why I have a hard time understanding why pointing to a a project consistently missing its delivery dates as evidence of bad management is controversial at all.
I don't know how to explain this point and feel I need a sanity check touchstone : developping something far larger will take more time, do we agree on this? Regarding funding, they addressed the situation by asking the backer community : keep expanding the scope through stretch goals as funding comes in, or keep the scope as is. 88% of backers replied to expand.

There's also the moral basis. To me, if you receive 100mil in funding and ship a 6mil game, you open yourself to criticism far more and are arguably short-changing your backers far more than taking longer but shipping something far more complex. Backers are getting more value for the same investment with the difference of time. You can make the point that this is for backers to choose, and they did.

There is no way that you can do more in the same amount of time when in the situation they were in, not when you add the overhead of expanding in terms of manpower, of building studios and all that stuff. Even if today you can get a degree of ramp-up with tasks being worked on in parallel, you still can't quite compress things linearly.

Regarding your own professional experience, I respect it but I also think that you are underestimating the difference between them and the sort of tasks that induced those date slips at CIG. Project management on tasks that are known quantities technically does not translate to project management in such a complex project involving very heavy R&D with moving targets. The size of teams is also orders of magnitude smaller. Your company at PH3 is made of about 3 people iirc.

I understand your attitude and convictions regarding deadlines and project management. I agree with them in the context where you mention them. I simply disagree that they apply everywhere, especially in the context of games attempting to do things that have seldom or never been done before. What happened and keeps on happening with CIG is something you can see in every GDC presentation that tell the tale of such R&D efforts. HZD's volumetric clouds, MM's Dream's renderer come to mind as things where they stumbled, explored paths that turned out to be dead ends and took a long time to do what they set out to do.

As a final though, I would just say that CIG is taking the approach that if things aren't good enough, they will spend more time to work on them. I recall that there was a time where players celebrated companies who would ship a game when it was done, not when an arbitrary deadline required it. CIG is pursuing quality first, it's stated very clearly on the roadmap today that they update every 2 weeks. Is such an approach also a failure of project management to you? I get the understanding that to you deadlines are absolute and I want to argue that this doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I don't know how to explain this point and feel I need a sanity check touchstone : developping something far larger will take more time, do we agree on this?
In general, sure. I mean, with more money you have more resources, and with good management and some allowance for setup overheads that should allow you to deliver more in the same timeframe.

But that's just a distraction and besides the point. The crucial fact here is that you can extend what you are delivering over time, while prioritizing delivering the original scope first, and then building out from it. The failure here is not in expanding the scope; the failure is in how that expansion was managed.

There's also the moral basis.
If you talk about a moral basis, then let me put it like this.

There was absolutely no way, ever, in hell, that they would deliver "just" everything promised up to and including the end of the Kickstarter (not after that) in the original timeframe which they maintained and promised up to and including beyond the end of that campaign.
Given this mismatch, there are only two broad possibilities I can think of:
  • the project was a scam, and they promised things they knew they could never manage to deliver to get more money out of backers. I don't believe this. Which leaves us with
  • bad management: they promised tons of highly complex (and known already at that point to be highly complex) features and additions without any decent feasibility study or even rough but realistic technical planning

Project management on tasks that are known quantities
Scientific research projects frequently feature tasks which are about as far from "known quantities" as you can get.

That's why scientific funding agencies require preliminary feasibility studies, an in-depth time plan, and detailed risk analysis as well as a set of mitigation strategies before they even think about funding a large scale project. Providing all of that is neither fun nor easy. Enacting it is often even harder. But all of it is the bare minimum of what would be considered good project managment in most circles.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
In general, sure. I mean, with more money you have more resources, and with good management and some allowance for setup overheads that should allow you to deliver more in the same timeframe.

But that's just a distraction and besides the point. The crucial fact here is that you can extend what you are delivering over time, while prioritizing delivering the original scope first, and then building out from it. The failure here is not in expanding the scope; the failure is in how that expansion was managed.
I couldn't disagree more. The reason for it is the way such a game has to be built if you want to ship the final product fastest. The tech debt you have to deal with if you add features over time while shipping an MVP as opposed to building something with the hardest, most interlinked elements first is vastly different. I hate making this comparison because the context is not really similar but what happened with Elite Odyssey really illustrates how wide the gulf has grown between these two games. And they each have the exact opposite approach. Either way, this expansion is what backers voted for.
If you talk about a moral basis, then let me put it like this.

There was absolutely no way, ever, in hell, that they would deliver "just" everything promised up to and including the end of the Kickstarter (not after that) in the original timeframe which they maintained and promised up to and including beyond the end of that campaign.
Given this mismatch, there are only two broad possibilities I can think of:
  • the project was a scam, and they promised things they knew they could never manage to deliver to get more money out of backers. I don't believe this. Which leaves us with
  • bad management: they promised tons of highly complex (and known already at that point to be highly complex) features and additions without any decent feasibility study or even rough but realistic technical planning
I also can't agree with this for two reasons.

The first is that it's a binary worldview that doesn't acknowledge the existence of design elements which they discovered after the KS period and realized they needed down the line. I'm not saying there hasn't been a degree of feature creep, there has been. I'm saying that the additions that were made make sense for the most part and are just part of building a better game.

The second is that you assume that such studies can possibly be perfect and produce reliable results when applied to such a humongously complex project. We're talking about anticipating years of work on things for which they can't possibly know in advance what the hurdles will be because it's never been done in games before. I think blaming them there is unfair, it's an unrealistic expectation in my opinion. That being said, I get the feeling that this is the crux of our difference in views on this.

Scientific research projects frequently feature tasks which are about as far from "known quantities" as you can get.

That's why every scientific funding agency requires preliminary feasibility studies, an in-depth time plan, and detailed risk analysis as well as a set of mitigation strategies before they even think about funding a large scale project. Providing all of that and then enacting it is project managment.
I understand this, but these methodologies are all predicated on canceling the project if such conditions are not met. Do you feel such a failure would be acceptable when success can still be achieved? This methodology aims at greenlighting projects and killing them if they go over dates. It doesn't provide more in terms of helping anticipate complexity and what a team doesn't know that they don't know. You are also positing that scientific projects being cut and canceled this way are always a good and justified thing. I would disagree.

Edit : Also, I feel a little like this. I just hope there's no bad blood for my disagreeing with you there but I'm going to head to bed. It's way too late already and I hope you have a great Sunday. At the end of the day, no matter what either of us thinks, the project is trucking on and we won't have any impact on it by merely having different thoughts.

Last edited:

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
It seems strange to call Star Citizen a scam, when it's just people believing in a project
If they did whatever they are doing backed by their own money no one has a problem with that, what happens now is worse than governments stealing tax money lol.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I hope Star Citizen succeeds, because I truly would love the game they have scoped out at this time. I certainly don't buy in to all the absurd drama around it.

But, words have to have meaning. By the standards of any project manager, SC has been poorly managed over many years - whether it's properly managed at this exact time isn't really the argument that is being made. You can throw down as many caveats and attempts at unique exemptions as you want but it's not unique, and projects have seen every kind of experience before, the world is vast and filled with bad management. They have over time managed (somewhat) better but that in itself is evidence of being mismanaged - it still has issues (if we use the 70% deadlines hit you cited, Swenhir, that is statistically bad project management in itself), and that means it improved from worse.

Poor project management is basically a constant in the games industry - that doesn't exempt them from criticism, either. If we want them to succeed, critiques have to be leveled where due, or they cannot improve or delivery. My team constantly has projects expand in scope by incredible factors, even to the point where the updated project actually has 0 elements of the initial project left at the end of the design phase, and we still never miss deadlines 95% of the time with our tiny team with limited scalability. The fact that the size is different is irrelevant - management at a bigger scale is harder but still doable and with that kind of funding you can afford real experts and real increase in employee work power.

This doesn't mean it's a failed game, or a bad game, or a scam. It's just been poorly managed. End of story. Based on every metric project managers use, it has been poorly managed. Scope creep is part of project management 101 coursework (literally, I took some PM classes). Project rework is part of that. Star Citizen is not a magic project exempt from all metrics of project measuring. This is all accountable for in quality PM work. The project has been poorly managed going strictly off their own posts, nothing more or less. I have hundreds of games in my library that have been poorly managed that are great and worth every cent, I have movies that were mismanaged, hell probably even books. It's hardly an end-all, be-all condemnation, it's just a valid critique.

Now, that's just objective - project management stuff. As an aside, I do personally have an issue with their monetization because it is harmful to certain people, just as I'm critical of that kind of monetization in every game that does something similar. Games don't have to be using lootboxes or be gachas to have unethical monetization practices. That monetization is exactly why I haven't supported the game with my own money yet - and just because (some) players "ask" for something doesn't mean it's ethical to push that out.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I am exhausted of this. I probably shouldn't have checked this on my phone but all I can say is that I have articulated my arguments over and over and I am done going into circular arguments. I probably care entirely too much what people think of a company that doesn't need any help but I can't help feel disheartened at all this.

I am pretty much done debating this. You guys have made up your mind and I am really tired of rehashing the same old arguments as kindly as I can.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I am exhausted of this. I probably shouldn't have checked this on my phone but all I can say is that I have articulated my arguments over and over and I am done going into circular arguments. I probably care entirely too much what people think of a company that doesn't need any help but I can't help feel disheartened at all this.

I am pretty much done debating this. You guys have made up your mind and I am really tired of rehashing the same old arguments as kindly as I can.
It's ok to agree to disagree.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
People wouldn't be so hard on Star Citizen if they could have at least released their singleplayer Squadron campaign by now. Even if it was some mediocre 15hr long story campaign everyone would be more than satisfied. But no they keep delaying for so many years with not much to show. It is understandable why people are frustrated especially after they showed footage with a bunch of hollywood actors etc. In the end they set out a bullshit release window that wasn't even close to a potential release.

In the past 6 years we got Cyberpunk, RDR2 plus new Zelda, Half Life and we are soon getting STALKER 2 plus another Zelda/Halo. Even classics like FF7 got remade.

Gamers are spoiled by a lot of AAA these days so the bar is set really high for large crowdfunded projects out there who are promising so much.

And late next year we are getting a new Todd Howard joint that will probably be more massive/advanced than whatever Squadron 42 winds up being. At least I think it will.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Realms Deep made me realize that I didn't have much experience with old-school FPS (or old-school PC games in general). So I grabbed DOOM classic bundle a few days ago. I played and loved DOOM 2016, so hopefully I could get into the original games, too.

Reactions: lashman and Yoshi

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Star Citizen is not scam, it is just developing in a bad way with wrong focus. They are managing to release new ships at regular pace instead of focusing on making core gameplay loop that they can upgrade overtime. They didn't even make minimal viable product, currently from what I saw Star Citizen is basically collection of tech demos that will I hope in the end of development make interesting game. But no they jump from tech to tech without finishing one first.

Reactions: prudis

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The fact that Amazon is advertising Eva is something else. Once you open up the Amazon up that's the first thing that showed up.

It will have taken me two days to set up my new set up but once it's all done I will now be able to play games on consoles (mainly Xbox) with 5.1.2 audio and 5.1 audio on my PC. (I guess that I could get 5.1.2 on PC as well but I'd rather just use the optical port on my Mobo instead of having to use both a DP cable and HDMI and having to have "2 displays"

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

While Frozenheim, our serene Norse city builder with RTS combat, didn't make the cut for the already lengthy stream, there's an announcement that we're stoked to make. Today marks the 100 000 Steam purchases milestone for Frozenheim.
This is the second game in our catalog to reach the 100k player tier, following our debut title, ELDERBORN

New historical lowest price for:

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition -79% - $4.25/€3.60
Age of Empires Definitive Collection -67% - $14.99/€12.71

Reason: Added deals
Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Why do the estimations keep being so off?
The first one is because the math you do to get a number is constantly changing, right NOW it is NºREVIEWS * 30 but it will change again at some point, this doesn't mean *30 is the rule to follow for all, sometimes the engagement is greater than others.

The second one I don't know the internal math but when it's a smaller game it has higher chances of getting shorter than what really is.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Road 96 is out tomorrow and I wish Steam Deck was out already. I'm travelling to my in-laws on Wednesday and Road 96 seems like the perfect game to play for a 4-5 hour train journey.

I can buy it on Switch but I'd really prefer it on PC.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

New historical lowest price for:

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition -79% - $4.25/€3.60
Thanks for pointing out another game where the upper bound of the owner estimation is an under-estimate (30% lower than the actual value here).

The number of reviews is ~ 1.2k, which is in the window where there are huge issues with fitting a line to a messy point cloud.
In my experience, the better fit in this window would give a review multiplier of x100, which is consistent with this game (x75).

Basically:
  • for small games, the chance that a player writes a review varies wildly, but 1% would be a good guess overall. Review multiplier: x100.
  • for big hits, the chance is closer to 3%. Review multiplier: x30.
In a nutshell, people are more likely to write a review for a game which is already extremely popular than for a small indie game that they enjoy. Maybe there is some shame to liking an indie game and self-censorship to recommending it to others, I don't know.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
If they did whatever they are doing backed by their own money no one has a problem with that, what happens now is worse than governments stealing tax money lol.
They are pretty upfront about what they want to do, and that they still have a long way to go. To my knowledge, they have also offered refunds to the original backers, back when the project did promise a clear schedule. They are since clear they will continue on this until it's done, and it's clear a large part of the community is completely fine with that and continues to support it.

Unless you think people spending money on this are literally brainwashed and not responsible for their own actions, I do not see how there's any malice on part of Cloud Imperium Games. Sure, it's overly ambitious and kinda shambolic, but that's far from unusual for video game projects of this size.

Reactions: lashman

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
Steam page isn't up yet, maybe this was uploaded a bit early?

Really glad to see this happening at last. My absolute favourite 90's FPS.

Tried emulating the Saturn version in the past but had issues plus I'm not used to old school console FPS controls anymore. Some of the more frustrating platforming sections should be improved a lot by having M+kb controls.

• Gib
Reactions: ISee and lashman

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Regarding the topic of old-school PC games, another genre that I really want to try is strategy games like Desperados and Commandos. The upcoming War Mongrels looks pretty interesting.
Oh. I'm totally in love with the old games. :) I do not like the new games very much.

Other news:
Dread Templar is out in Early Access. I have waited for this.
Looks very cool. I will probably get it when the full release is out. Graven is another one that I am keeping my eyes on.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The graphic option in Art of Rally on game pass PC is somewhat fucked. Can't change country (stuck in Afgnaistan) and can't change graphics (stuck on low). Feels like a lot of devs just dumps their games on windows store/game pass PC and move on.

Edit: christ, can't change most of the settings, neither my controller (xbone) nor kb/m works.
Edit 2: the minute I press "shuffle" (which I assume is the button to start playing), the game crashes

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way way I have been thinking of getting an air filter what exactly do they do and what should I look for in one. I need one for my room since it gets very dusty (I don't like to open the window because of the noise from my speaker that might upset neighbors type of thing.

Seems like Steam Deck order availability is now "After Q2 2022".
Hasn't it been like that since the pre-orders went up? I think if you ordered within the first 4 hours or so you would get Q1 but everything since then has been Q2

Reactions: Tomasety

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
  • Eyes

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019

Personally, I've found this discussion interesting, although I'm sorry you're frustrated by it. For me, Star Citizen is something like Eve, that basically doesn't exist until I hear some update in the news that makes it sound fascinating. I hope they successfully release someday, and I really, really hope it measures up to all the anticipation built up over all these years. I will definitely be playing that.

• Hug
Reactions: lashman and Swenhir

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
By the way way I have been thinking of getting an air filter what exactly do they do and what should I look for in one. I need one for my room since it gets very dusty (I don't like to open the window because of the noise from my speaker that might upset neighbors type of thing.
Hasn't it been like that since the pre-orders went up? I think if you ordered within the first 4 hours or so you would get Q1 but everything since then has been Q2
I've been checking it time to time to see does my order change any different. I think it was Q2 2022 earlier but now it's after Q2, so perhaps Q3 (?).

--

By the way AoE def collection 1-3 ~12.7 euros GamesPlanet US

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Basically they are a big tube with a fan that pulls air in from the bottom, through a filter and out of the top again. I recently bought a Levoit Core P350 Pet model as my allergies were really playing up and i have the same issue where i can't open a window too often or for too long. So far it's been great. It's quiet enough on low settings to not bother me, i leave it on at night and it doesn't disturb me, it's bigger than i thought but small enough that i can move it about. It also cools the air a few degrees which was flipping amazing this summer as i'd place it under my desk so the cool air would keep me from drowning in my own sweat.

Remember that you'll need to replace filters maybe every 6 months and they can be expensive but it depends on how often you use it, how much dust/particulates are about etc.

I'd look for:
Quiet/Sleep mode for sanity and less energy use.
No UV so it's not ionising the air.
Good filter
Replacable Filter.
Size that fits the room you mainly use it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.