Community MetaSteam | August 2021 - Openness Is Its Superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Gloomwood demo was... there. Presented super early like it was, difficult to not ask oneself : why not simply replay Thief.
It wasn't horrible, mind.

Oh, and Jason Smith has liked a tweet I made about how incredifantabulous Cultic demo is. I'm pleased.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
How's the Capcom Arcade Collection port? I see it has very negative reviews due to the pricing which is fair, but is like the port bad?
It's... fine. Mostly.

There are a lot of minor problems, but they're unlikely to bother you unless you're very familiar with the originals, or if you're trying to play for score or something.

IIRC, it uses the RE Engine as a wrapper around MAME. That works fine for most games in the collection, but for some it introduces a bunch of extra input delay (RIP GigaWing). I guess there's also some sort of licensing issue related to MAME's sound emulation (not available for commercial licensing or something like that), so the sound emulation had to be redone, and it's not as accurate as you'd get from just playing the games in MAME. I think there were bugs with the auto-fire feature in some games too, but that might have been patched (I haven't been paying attention).

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
It's... fine. Mostly.

There are a lot of minor problems, but they're unlikely to bother you unless you're very familiar with the originals, or if you're trying to play for score or something.

IIRC, it uses the RE Engine as a wrapper around MAME. That works fine for most games in the collection, but for some it introduces a bunch of extra input delay (RIP GigaWing). I guess there's also some sort of licensing issue related to MAME's sound emulation (not available for commercial licensing or something like that), so the sound emulation had to be redone, and it's not as accurate as you'd get from just playing the games in MAME. I think there were bugs with the auto-fire feature in some games too, but that might have been patched (I haven't been paying attention).
Thank you for your impressions :steam_pigblanket: I'll try to get them on sale.

Reactions: Avern and Tomasety

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

tl;dr:

All three FINAL FANTASY classics made the cut this month, with more planned in the future. Other top JRPG releases this month include Monstrum Nox and Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin.
Mini Motorways brings a minimalist strategy simulation. Starbase features a massive multiplayer open world building game. Swords of Legend Online takes MMO and adds action RPG to the mix.
Congratulations to the teams who are releasing on Steam for the first time:

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I have bought the Council for cheap (5€ with the Choice discount) from Humble Store. I remember enjoying the first episode, which is some kind of janky TellTale game with a skill tree.

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content
I am tempted by the DLC of Trine 4 for 3.20€, but I have not finished the base game yet. Not super reasonable. :toucan:

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content
I will wait for a Humble Choice for this one.

Do I need to play the VR one Rhombus of Ruin?
I would if I could. Plus, it is super cheap (1.60€ with the Humble discount).

Last edited:

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018

Cripes my Top 10 reads one-note, lol.

Do you like Mundane Sims, PDX or WRPGs?

Been on holiday this past week traveling through Quebec City & Montreal.

Really enjoyed both stops but didn't realize how much courtesy French I needed to brush up on.
Ah man, hope you enjoyed my neck of the woods :)

Reactions: Aaron D.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Funny bug I found on Quake during the start up videos, I unplugged my usb headphones and the screen froze :v

• Sad
Reactions: Tomasety

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
One of my wishlists for Steam is Valve baking in something akin to Cheat Engine into Steam with a sharing system similar to Workshop.
And devs could stop you from getting achievements or playing multiplayer if you have them installed.
It's probably never happening though.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Your visualization is missing the best title on the list though :crying-face:

By the way, has anyone seen any news regarding No Straight Roads for Steam?
I don't include F2P games if that's what you mean :(

And no, I haven't heard anything about No Straight Roads but I think Arsene did, will tag just in case.

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
I would if I could. Plus, it is super cheap (1.60€ with the Humble discount).

I already own it :ROFLMAO: I bought it when I had vr headsets from Oculus but never got around to playing it. Gave my headsets (rift and quest) back to Oculus for a refund when the Facebook requirement came in.

I'll ask my friend if he'll let me borrow his headset for a while to play it so.

Reactions: Wok and lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I don't like posting deals that don't have a decent discount so I had got many doubts and the game reviews didn't help either, anyways I opted for posting it since the difference was not small from previous historical lowest price

OUTRIDERS - 47% - 31,97€
Hmm, I liked what I played in the trial but I'll wait longer...will surely go on more sales, and first Valve needs to fix Proton & EAC.

I really dont wanna boot up Windows again. :p

cheat engine stuff
anyone know a cheatengine equivalent for Linux, btw?

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Pommes

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Ah man, hope you enjoyed my neck of the woods :)
It was a great time.

Did a few walking tours (standard for everywhere I visit), hit a few art museums (see walking tours) and ate like a king.

Really lucked out in QC as one of the restaurant owners suggested stops in his town as well as Montreal and all of them were banger hits.

Had fun exploring the annual Mural Festival spots, man there's some talented artists out there. Love how much the city respects street art.

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018
It was a great time.

Did a few walking tours (standard for everywhere I visit), hit a few art museums (see walking tours) and ate like a king.

Really lucked out in QC as one of the restaurant owners suggested stops in his town as well as Montreal and all of them were banger hits.

Had fun exploring the annual Mural Festival spots, man there's some talented artists out there. Love how much the city respects street art.
Sounds like you had a great time! Happy to hear it.. uhh, read it lol

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I tried to get into WeMod once to try and futz around with resource issues in AC: Odyssey and think literally everything was behind a paywall, so I kinda double-fudged it with CE. I'm always tempted by a lifetime membership to anything but honestly, can't think of the last time I couldn't either mod or just use CE for simple count changes, and that's only for games that really push it (the upgrade-to-level costs in AC: Odyssey were just obnoxiously high).

Sadly even the best trainer can't solve a lot of core design issues, like GRIMEs too far by a factor of 2-3 checkpoints.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Is there any problems or things i should know with getting the CheatHappens deal through WCCFTech?
I've heard of them so i know they're legit but do CheatHappens have deals themselves i should wait for?

Digoman Have a look at "Magic Borderless", people have been moaning for years that steam counts Magic as the playtime not the game name itself but i'd see that as a win in some circumstances.

I'm not sure if Steam still shows the game in recently played though. It's been ages since i used Magic Borderless.

Last edited:
  • Evil
Reactions: Wok

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
For the little cheating I do free wemod has been fine for me. Sometimes I look at cheatengine tables too. But it's so rare that actually paying for any of it wouldn't be worth it.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Yeah, i'm leaning towards just keeping Free WeMod and using text editors/hex editors or SaveEditOnline to mess about with save games for most other games as i normally do now. I don't tend to use CheatEngine much as my AV seems to REALLY dislike it so it's random if it works or not and i'm not used to it so i find messing about with the CheatTables a bit awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.