Community MetaSteam | August 2021 - Openness Is Its Superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The thing is:
For longer games: I would never use a service that "deletes" games after a while, I would always feel the time ticking in my head. I play games for years.

For shorter games:
I can do that ("trying" games) on Youtube or Twitch without any time restraints or a heavily curated experience that maybe has 5% to 10% of games that interest me. The times where I would install and play every game regardless of genre are gone for a dozen of years.
Definently. Tons of games I've come back to after years despite finishing them (SP games), like a feel a sudden urge to replay something, can't do that with game pass. Like I would never play LiS True Colors on game pass because I have no doubt I will enjoy it and will come back to it in a few years. That happened with LiS and BTS.

Another type of game that works badly with game pass are endless games like roguelikes, strategy games, factory/management types of games. Those can be played until the end of time or when I lose interest.

Like Hades, is on game pass, roguelike, somewhat endless, takes a long time to play, will never play it on game pass.

Im not even pirating games anymore due to my backlog and for many games, piracy gives you a better service than game pass.

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
So since some people mentioned how much (or how little) they played Skyrim: its my most-played game on Steam (but compared to WOW, its absolutely nothing ;) )

But Im wondering, what are your Top ten on Steam? Mine are:

1​
Skyrim​
291,4​
(Original version: 261, Special Edition: 28, VR Edition: 2,4)​
2​
Deus Ex: Human Revolution​
232,8​
(Original version: 166, Directors Cut: 55, Missing Link DLC: 11,8)​
3​
Rocket League​
188​
4​
Hitman 2​
149​
5​
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt​
136​
6​
Cyberpunk 2077​
136​
7​
Terraria​
125​
8​
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided​
110​
9​
Grand Theft Auto V​
93​
10​
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning​
90,8​
(Original version: 90, Re-Reckoning: 0,8)​

1Team Fortress 23,023 hours
2Divinity: Original Sin 2241 hours
3Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion203 hours
4Rise of Nations: Extended Edition169 hours
5The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim127 hours
6Pillars of Eternity92 hours
7Mass Effect Legendary Edition87 hours
8Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition 67 hours
9Dragon Age: Origins66 hours
10Wasteland 2: Director's Cut56 hours

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Arcade stick is here. Steam recognized it as a Xbox 360 controller which is great. It feels good to the touch and it is heavy enough. Plus I love that the leds change depending on whether you choose Switch mode or xinput mode.

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Arcade stick is here. Steam recognized it as a Xbox 360 controller which is great. It feels good to the touch and it is heavy enough. Plus I love that the leds change depending on whether you choose Switch mode or xinput mode.
Which arcade stick did you buy?

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
Some notes: definitely some idle time here.. probably around 10%-15% of total time on Warframe, PoE, Outriders, etc.
Still though, I'm pretty surprised at how high Outriders is on the list and that FO4 appears at all. I didn't finish FO4 main story, nor in No Man's Sky either. Nor did I finish the Icebourne main story in MHW.

Warframe753.6 Hours
Path of Exile206.9 Hours
No Man's Sky138.4 Hours
Outriders125.5 Hours
Monster Hunter World93.5 Hours
Hades87.3 Hours
Stardew Valley78.8 Hours
Subnautica75.9 Hours
Fallout 472.3 Hours
Dying Light65.5 Hours

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Started re-playing Psychonauts 1 on Steam, in preparation for the sequel later next week.

Gotta say, the very first impression isn't very good. The game boots by default at the lowest resolution of 640x480, and the entire UI is broken when you use a 16:9 resolution, super stretched. There's a fix for this on the internet, but why couldn't Double Fine ever update the game to work normally on modern PCs? They revamped the game on Steam in 2013, from what I can tell, releasing it on Linux and MacOS, adding Achievement and so forth.

It's a bit of a shame since the actual game is still super addicting and fun. I think with a light remaster, this could be released on next gen consoles without major issues. The only thing that might require more work to fix, if you wanted to fix it, are the cutscenes. Those are literally old fashioned videos, at super low resolution. Redoing all of them would be a ton of work, but even just upscaling the videos should be doable, I'm sure Double Fine has the source video files somewhere.

Hope the sequel is a success and allows them to go back for a re-release of the original game.
I don't get my Deck 'til next year so by then all you beta-testers will have worked out the bugs for me ( Thanks! ) and this whole "Perfect for Deck" malarky will have died down to ignorable levels.
And speaking of it, Psychonauts 1 would be perfect on the Deck!

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
Definently. Tons of games I've come back to after years despite finishing them (SP games), like a feel a sudden urge to replay something, can't do that with game pass. Like I would never play LiS True Colors on game pass because I have no doubt I will enjoy it and will come back to it in a few years. That happened with LiS and BTS.

Another type of game that works badly with game pass are endless games like roguelikes, strategy games, factory/management types of games. Those can be played until the end of time or when I lose interest.

Like Hades, is on game pass, roguelike, somewhat endless, takes a long time to play, will never play it on game pass.

Im not even pirating games anymore due to my backlog and for many games, piracy gives you a better service than game pass.
makes sense. my preferences skew heavily towards shorter, single-player games with definitive endings, so Game Pass is a pretty good fit for me. if I want to replay those games after they leave the service, well, odds are they'll be in a Humble Choice or such eventually
Two games with similar mechanics (top-down puzzle and 2D platformer).

Haven't played the first one, but Tandem demo was pretty good

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
interesting project just matured form Early Access
I just gave this a shot, because $6 for a decent looking deck builder, why not? But I actually am refunding it. There are a lot of bugs (like, not being able to play cards a few times every battle), some things have no explanation whatsoever, and they announced they are not supporting it, so... it's just going to have actions bug out on you and not happen forever. Initial impressions were balance was nonexistent too, but hard to know without more time.

It sucks because there are some neat ideas in it but honestly, I think it's a dev to avoid now.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Just finished Heavy Rain. That was just boring and stupid. At least Indigo Prophecy went batshit insane in the end :p

Also, could someone please find the man responsible for the idea of those shaking QTEs and start to shake his monitor while he works? I think it's safe to assume it's a man given the rest of the game.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
that's all David Cage games :p
That's a gross oversimplification.
While they are mostly boring and stupid, occasionally the games also manage to be unintentionally hilarious and stupid.
Well, it's only my second David Cage game.... but yeah, for me Indigo Prophecy was hilarious stupid :p

Heavy Rain tries to be more grounded, and without the fantastical elements his really, reaaaaalllyy bad writing just manages to be boring. Well, that's if you ignore the uncomfortable racist and sexist elements,

In short, while I still remember the stupidity of Indigo Prophecy. I doubt I will remember much of this game next year.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That's a gross oversimplification.
While they are mostly boring and stupid, occasionally the games also manage to be unintentionally hilarious and stupid.
I liked a couple tbh, even as stupid as they can be
Beyond Two Souls I recall to be irredeemably bad though
all Cage games have LITERALLY one thing that kinda/sorta makes them entertaining enough to at least check out the good bits on youtube ... in Omikron it was Bowie ... Fahrenheit/Indigo - bugs, lol ... Heavy Rain - Press X to Jason ... Beyond - Dafoe ... Detroit - not sure this one has anything, maybe the """"""""subtle"""""""" metaphors :p

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
all Cage games have LITERALLY one thing that kinda/sorta makes them entertaining enough to at least check out the good bits on youtube ... in Omikron it was Bowie ... Fahrenheit/Indigo - bugs, lol ... Heavy Rain - Press X to Jason ... Beyond - Dafoe ... Detroit - not sure this one has anything, maybe the """"""""subtle"""""""" metaphors :p
I know I've heard multiple people say Detroit has a pretty good buddy cop story, or something like that.

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Wow, that must seem like a "Budget" game to Argentinians, it's only 500% not 1000%+
actually, the final price for Argentina is higher than the US one ... because they also have another 65% to pay above the listed price

I think we can definitely say that regional pricing isn't a thing anymore. I wonder if, and how, valve will ''fix'' it on Steam
i don't think they can .... not like they can force devs to use it ...

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Am I late to the party?

TitleHours Played
Left 4 Dead 2682
Dota 2484
Kingdom Come: Deliverance429
Pillars of Eternity365
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim282
Battle Brothers249
Cyberpunk 2077207
Divinity: Original Sin (Classic)183
Warhammer: Vermintide 2178
Europa Universalis IV175

This is just Steam though. A lot of my playtime of earlier CRPGs come before Steam or go through GOG now.

Role-playing, Co-Op, and Strategy games tend to rack up the most time for me.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Yeah.... can put me on the camp that's not really happy with the Twelve Minutes ending.

Game itself is fine and with some actual nice touches with all the variations of what you can do, including accounting for you doing some actions in front of the wife. But I'm not usually a fan of the type of ending they went for, nor do I think it was well done here.

These past few days I watched the last Evangelion movie, played Heavy Rain and now this game.... I think now I need something with a nice simple linear story :p

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com

i guess Microids are done with regional pricing as well

Developers/publishers: Guys, if you want to support us and give us more money to make your favorite games, buy our stuff on EGS or other alternative storefronts so we get a better cut. Yeah, you lose out on a lot of QOL features, but its a small price to pay as at the end of the day it's just a launcher, right?

Also developers/publishers: Regional pricing? Nah, fuck those guys! We've done the math lol

FunnyJay