Community MetaSteam | December 2021 - All I want for Christmas is a SteamDeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Workers at Beast Breaker developer Vodeo Games have unionized, creating the first certified video game studio union in North America. Vodeo management voluntarily recognized the union, which includes both full-time employees and contracted workers.
This is good news. The game is available on PC, but it's EGS timed exclusive. That explains why I never heard about it before.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
  • Evil
Reactions: Tomasety

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
I am disappointed by the early reviews. Seems like the game is unlisted, too? I can't find it through the search function on steam.

And also Kvik

Last edited:
  • Comfy
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Kvik

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Thanks everyone for the board game stuff. Ticket to Ride and others I hadn't seen (that like Parks sadly don't seem to have Greek versions) look really cool. It seems like the best bet that works for 2 as well as 3+ players is Carcassonne? Any objections to that? Some warning or some other thing you wanna totally GUSH about instead? I'd probably get the 20th Anniversary Edition which is priced well, around 30, and comes with some mini expansion stuff like Rivers whatever that means. I'm reading both Catan and Ticket to Ride aren't as good with less than 3 players (but some pairs do seem to love it still, I have no clue). 7 Wonders also apparently isn't recommended for less than 3 even though it has rule variations for 2 players. It's cool there's also Duels but that costs extra, to get both it would be like ~66 total (if I get the 2nd edition of the big game) to get things that might just not click for the household and go unused. I need a modest starter for 2-3-4 players and maybe something super cheap for 2 players on top like the mentioned oldie Wizard and Ohanami which will be localized soon.

Before seeing the prices of some of this I thought I could get Wizard, Pylos mini, a small board for chess/checkers/backgammon and a modern board game on top but it seems like that's not the case, I can only get the one board game and maybe a small cheap thing on top as said above, if the main isn't too pricy.
I have a pretty big caveat in mind regarding Carc, at least the vanilla version. Have you ever played it ?
It requires at least some competitive state of mind or it can fall a little flat. Hmm, how to explain… if you don’t play competitively and try to gather win point with meeples, it can lose some of its appeal. I’m not the most competitive player myself, pair me with my mother who is not either and you transform Carc in a chill boardgame, almost puzzle, with high rng regarding tiles. A little too chill and simplistic for some.
But that again depends on your players.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Huge indeed. Isn't Asmodee the worldwide biggest boardgame publisher?
Sure, but I was more referencing their usual steam review score. Now, some people are unreasonable, but there was a definite trend the last time I looked at it. On the other hand they have a natural catchphrase if they want one. Your favorite boardgame, now with bugs.

On another topic yeah, it didn't escape me that Asmodee and Embracer were made for each others. Not a critic, just saying that Asmodee is the Embracer of boardgames.

• Evil
Reactions: Tomasety and Pommes

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
A follow-up on Devolvers Financials from Gamediscover in an Epic publishing article shines a light on some of the risks developers and Publishers take when doing subscription-based exclusivity contracts.

In following up our deep dive into Devolver's financials, there was one extra thing we wanted to point out. In these mammoth documents for public markets, there's often a 'risks' section. It's filled with tedious, but legally necessary disclaimers as to why the business might not succeed.
But there was one risk in Devolver that the company has clearly been thinking about, so I'm reprinting in full: "New models may restrict the Group's game sales: There has been a notable increase in recent years in subscription-based gaming models such as… PlayStation Now, Google's Stadia, Apple Arcade and Microsoft Game Pass, whereby players pay a monthly fee for access to a range of games.

In order to secure exclusive content to attract consumers to the platform, platforms will often partially or fully fund a game's development costs in return for exclusive distribution rights for the title for a fixed period post-launch. In the event that Devolver adopts this distribution model, it may limit the financial upside for highly successful games until the exclusivity agreement expires."
This particular risk is around the 'timed exclusive'. But the idea of capped upside has absolutely been an issue in the streaming TV/film space. For example, Netflix "buys shows at a rate of the cost of production plus about 30 percent of production costs, but it retains most of its future licensing rights."

So it's really much closer to work for hire - with very nice overheads, and you get paid no matter how it does. (Maybe game platforms like Xbox/Netflix buying developers is sorta a version of the 'cost plus' model, now I come to think of it?)

But no, this 'cost plus' model isn't coming to games in exactly the same form. Xbox has made the point repeatedly that you can design revenue upside into the games you license to Game Pass. And you can have titles out on lots of console/PC platforms at once - unlike Netflix which just buys your entire show, forevermore.

Yet I do think the issue of 'who quantifies and retains the upside from a big subscription service hit?' is a valid one - and ain't going away. And very interesting to see it mentioned in a publisher 'risks' document.

So, let's say it is 2020, and Coffee Stain Publishing wanted to recoup the investment from the game "Valheim" from Iron Gate and got into a financing and exclusivity deal with a subscription-based service. They will completely finance the development plus a certain amount of money and the game will be a year on the sub service.

Surely a good deal?
Not when you are a massive success like Valheim who only had a shelf life of a few months. The devs would get nothing out of the success. Most agreements between devs and pubs wouldn't even let the devs have a say on how the game is sold or on what services and conditions it is sold.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Steam input customisation is amazing. I spent a while yesterday tinkering around with a controller profile to play Oxygen Not Included as it doesn't have controller support and I'm a comfy coucher. There are so many options. I set up two radial menus that appear when i hold a trigger so i can select all the buildings stuff and task stuff, got a hot bar for all the information tabs etc. Adjusted the mouse settings so that its nice and accurate with the joystick.

Honestly, it was like a game in itself getting it all set up and satisfying to use.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Just realised, why is there no USB Type C hubs? Meaning a hub that has Type C ports? I only see type C hubs that have USB 3 ports.
There are definitely USB hubs that have it. I bought mine like 3 years ago and it has one USB-C port.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Anyone here who plays Genshin mind letting me hop into your world and take some Onikabuto? Probably some Sango Pearls, too.

• Eyes

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Looking forward to playing this, I'm waiting for early access to end before i start playing.
I hope they rebalance the progression a bit. I played the last major release for 15+ hours and I still didn't get to the 3rd ship class, the Geckos. A bit annoying after the whole reset. Does make me want to wait to 1.0 instead of delving in and out.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Argh, again Moon releases at an inopportune time for me.... I will definitely play it but a bit later. Really hope it does well despite the zero fanfare around it. They really should get better at generating a modicum of buzz around releases like these instead of this sink or swim strategy.

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
I hope they rebalance the progression a bit. I played the last major release for 15+ hours and I still didn't get to the 3rd ship class, the Geckos. A bit annoying after the whole reset. Does make me want to wait to 1.0 instead of delving in and out.
And there is one more reset at the final release... I will try the new ship in Free Mode first.

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.