Community MetaSteam | December 2022 - The end of the year is coming, you better hurry with those games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I am open to using a form for the counting! What were your thoughts with that? I still want to use PMs for the voting since I think that makes it easier for people to vote.
I was testing to see how the result would turn out in Google Forms. Maybe easier to compile the result since you don't need to do much manual work. I haven't used Forms before

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Cheers for the thread Mor . Appreciated as always.

December already. Feels like it should be around April.

think the only thing for me this months is The Callisto Protocol. But going to wait and see how that comes out.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Sonic Frontiers object pop-in issues, some people were saying that was because of engine limitations (no idea why), but modders found out the actual reason for the pop-in, object draw-in/draw-out range values are the same between PC and Switch (and probably the other platforms as well).

Why blame the Switch and not say, Series S which also doesn't have a 60fps mode so they couldn't get performance any better presumably? Or, ya know, Sega who designed these things, if it's really as simple as changing some values and maintaining performance (that already has dips in either mode) on consoles?

Or is this some parity clause conspiracy theory when there already is no parity? They'd have that just for specific distance settings when lod is already worse?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Why blame the Switch and not say, Series S which also doesn't have a 60fps mode so they couldn't get performance any better presumably? Or, ya know, Sega who designed these things, if it's really as simple as changing some values and maintaining performance (that already has dips in either mode) on consoles?

Or is this some parity clause conspiracy theory when there already is no parity? They'd have that just for specific distance settings when lod is already worse?
Because Switch is the weakest platform where the game released and it's the platform that struggles the most with performance based on the digital foundry review, even with the severely paired back visuals (for example, vegetation drawing distance is far lower than the other platforms).

Though, while the solution is just "changing some values", the problem is that the values have to be changed for every individual object, it's likely that the dev team just didn't have time to set and test the optimized values for each individual platform and settled with the values from the weakest platform.

Anyway, the point of the tweets is that it's not an engine limitation, unlike what many were spreading.

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Riiiight. Again, other consoles have performance dips at these settings already (not to mention 30fps modes with others bells and whistles, never mind adding more on top). But sure, it was just time that stopped them from testing higher settings (and it's not an engine issue if you have to spend so long just to change some lod settings, mind that's possibly just because he doesn't have all the dev tools, on their end it could be easier for all we know) and Switch was the primary dev platform that forced them to cater to it first and foremost when they hadn't even shown the game on it for the longest time. They did spend the time to change many other things that are in fact different on Switch but apparently forgot to include some sliders for lod distance in their amazing engine.

Why's it so hard to admit Sonic Team sucks and instead defend an engine just because folks brute forced it to look a bit better on PC? It could have been like Witcher 3, looking brilliant on all systems, brilliant on PC, modders brute forcing even more out of it on PC as always happens with settings that go beyond what's available in game (can't blame another platform for that for a PC first game) and actual modifications and additions, and then still putting it out on Switch in a form not that different to Sonic Frontiers and its own just as poor results that don't make it look any better. Anything else is all on Sega and Sonic Team.

Last edited:

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Riiiight. Again, other consoles have performance dips at these settings already (not to mention 30fps modes with others bells and whistles, never mind adding more on top). But sure, it was just time that stopped them from testing higher settings (and it's not an engine issue if you have to spend so long just to change some lod settings, mind that's possibly just because he doesn't have all the dev tools, on their end it could be easier for all we know) and Switch was the primary dev platform that forced them to cater to it first and foremost when they hadn't even shown the game on it for the longest time. They did spend the time to change many other things that are in fact different on Switch but apparently forgot to include some sliders for lod distance in their amazing engine.

Why's it so hard to admit Sonic Team sucks and instead defend an engine just because folks brute forced it to look a bit better on PC? It could have been like Witcher 3, looking brilliant on all systems, brilliant on PC, modders brute forcing even more out of it on PC as always happens with settings that go beyond what's available in game (can't blame another platform for that for a PC first game) and actual modifications and additions, and then still putting it out on Switch in a form not that different to Sonic Frontiers and its own just as poor results that don't make it look any better. Anything else is all on Sega and Sonic Team.
sighs, I dunno, I'm no modder, I'm no game dev, the only things I know is that the modder compared the draw-in/draw-out values for objects between PC and Switch and they were the same, and that at least on PC higher values can easily be handled (he tried 3.5x the default values).
Why did he compared it with the Switch and not the PS4 or XBox One? Because he's been researching the Switch version in particular, because it has leftover data from an earlier version of the game where apparently the first and last islands were a single zone.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Because he's been researching the Switch version in particular, because it has leftover data from an earlier version of the game where apparently the first and last islands were a single zone.
Dang, sounds like they downgraded it on Switch when working on the other versions didn't allow them to keep undivided zones, that's why only that version has that data. Crikey, how awful. Weird you waited for a modder to tell you PC can handle more than Switch. And that you keep limiting what you can know by the argument you want made (once again ignoring other consoles already don't have flawless performance). Oh well. Sonic Team rules, Switch drools.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panda Pedinte

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
For PC, PS4, PS5 and mobile.

Dang, sounds like they downgraded it on Switch when working on the other versions didn't allow them to keep undivided zones, that's why only that version has that data. Crikey, how awful. Weird you waited for a modder to tell you PC can handle more than Switch. And that you keep limiting what you can know by the argument you want made (once again ignoring other consoles already don't have flawless performance). Oh well. Sonic Team rules, Switch drools.
I dunno why you're being so hostile, but, the PC version doesn't have the leftover data, the Switch version does, and seems like there isn't a dump yet of the PS4 version to know if it has leftover data as well or not.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
For PC, PS4, PS5 and mobile.

I dunno why you're being so hostile, but, the PC version doesn't have the leftover data, the Switch version does, and seems like there isn't a dump yet of the PS4 version to know if it has leftover data as well or not.
I just agree with you, it's Switch's fault, the bane of gaming, an evil inanimate object imposing its sinister will upon amazing studios like Sonic Team is ruining us. If only it wasn't for that we'd have 4k 120hz Sonic Frontiers running on the other systems with infinite draw distance to boot, never mind dips are current settings.

Last edited:

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I just agree with you, it's Switch's fault, the bane of gaming, an evil inanimate object imposing its sinister will upon amazing studios like Sonic Team is ruining us. If only it wasn't for that we'd have 4k 120hz Sonic Frontiers running on the other systems with infinite draw distance to boot, never mind dips are current settings.
Yeah! And Poor Pokemon Scarlet & Violet's performance is Switch's fault too! Game Freak would never release unfinished and unoptimized game. Me and Game Freak are best friends!

EDIT. /s ofcourse

Last edited:
  • Blobxorcism
Reactions: Alextended

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I don't really see what Switch or any other console has to do with Sonic Frontiers.
It runs at lower settings? Well, yes.
Can the technical issues be resolved easily on more powerful platforms? It seems so.
Ask SEGA to patch the game then.
What is even the point of whining about weak hardware if, clearly, it has no effect on the PC version with a few hours of work?

• This!
Reactions: Alextended

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Regarding the LoD thing: not having a LoD setting on PC is supremely silly.
I can basically guarantee that there is exactly one place in the engine where the distance of objects is computed for the purpose of LoDing them, and a setting would merely need to manipulate that process. (Where "manipulate" is fancy speak for "multiply a float with another float")

The only reason you don't have a LoD distance setting in any remotely modern game is because no one cared enough to spend the relatively small amount of time necessary to implement it.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Can we please drop this discussion about the Switch already? All I wanted to do was just share that there's modders working on fixing the pop-in issues and that it's not an engine limitation (since this was a misconception that was being spread), that's all.
I didn't word myself correctly, but I didn't mean to blame the Switch itself, I only meant that I believed that the dev team lacked the time to properly test different range values for objects for each platform and used values for the lowest platform. I dunno if other platforms like the PS4, XBox One could handle higher draw distance too, for all I know they could also not be able to handle more than the Switch.
(There are reasons to believe that the dev team was starved for time, there are mentions of an area in the data that didn't make it to the final game, for example).

I can basically guarantee that there is exactly one place in the engine where the distance of objects is computed for the purpose of LoDing them, and a setting would merely need to manipulate that process. (Where "manipulate" is fancy speak for "multiply a float with another float")

The only reason you don't have a LoD distance setting in any remotely modern game is because no one cared enough to spend the relatively small amount of time necessary to implement it.
In this modded screenshot it does seem like lower quality models are used in the distance, I think? Distant rails are far less round for example.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
You made your point, already. This is uncalled for.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
After having just subjected myself to 2 hours of sonic frontiers the other day I can safely say they could have developed that game to exclusively run on only RTX 4090s and it would still be an abject disaster on every possible level of development. Everything felt borderline amateurishly made as if the last 15 years of game and open world development didn't happen and this was gaming's first crack at it. So I don't think switch is mostly to blame here, some developers just aren't very good.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021

This is such a bizarre issue in modern games. Nothing breaks the immersion for me in open world games like massive LOD pop-in. I always crank it to the maximum when I have the option.

Reactions: Durante and lashman

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I guess we got our first Epic Store Exclusive that will be fully revealed at TGA

One thing i never understood is why devs are locking ini/settings files? Isn't better for you if your game is bit more future proof? But but engine breaks, then let people break it it is hidden setting in damn file. I am still pissed to this date that AC Unity (and every other AC game) has basically locked everything and ther Unity has draw distance so bad that it is hilarious but damn game looks great even today outside of those really bad distant models and low draw distance..

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
If they switched genres to survival horror or something that'd be pretty rad though. That said it's probably not anything like that, closer to Alien Isolation maybe. Or like the Penumbra games where some tools allowed you to kill some enemies but there wasn't nearly enough for all of it or anything like that. I'm curious about the randomized aspects, will the gameplay loop be really that good, to wanna replay it, or is it an one-off experience so this aspect adds little?

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
If they switched genres to survival horror or something that'd be pretty rad though. That said it's probably not anything like that, closer to Alien Isolation maybe.
yeah, most likely

you'll probably have like 5 bullets for the entire playthrough

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Grrrr... Still not done with Ragnarok and Callisto Protocol is tommorrow.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Grrrr... Still not done with Ragnarok and Callisto Protocol is tommorrow.
I'm pretty much in the same situation except I'm also trying to get through Tactics Ogre. I think I'm about 2/3 done with Ragnarok, but I'm not rushing to finish it since it has actually gotten a lot better after a specific point.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I'm pretty much in the same situation except I'm also trying to get through Tactics Ogre. I think I'm about 2/3 done with Ragnarok, but I'm not rushing to finish it since it has actually gotten a lot better after a specific point.
I just need to look at all the unplayed games I own I wanna play to think "yeah, this is why game pass and ps plus doesn't work for me".

Like, I bought MH Rise many months ago and still haven't gotten to it yet.

Reactions: Arc

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Yep gamepass isn't for me either, too many in the backlog.

Recently i asked whether i should play Guardians of the Galaxy or Dying Light 2 and the concensus was for GotG so i ended up......Buying Grounded and playing that.

Grounded is pretty good btw. Its like Honey i shrunk the kids mixed with Subnautica. Enjoying it a lot.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
yeah, most likely

you'll probably have like 5 bullets for the entire playthrough
The steam page mentions one unique bullet. I wouldn’t be surprised it’s the only one you get and you must craft some pieced together weapons.
But I don’t know, in my mind Frictional peaked years ago and I’m not sure adding randomization, semi open-world and crafting is enough to lit the flame again. Or maybe I’m simplt not that interested in these additions.

Happy to be proven wrong, wait and see.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Resident Evil 3 is short but what's there is fantastic. I can't put this game down once I start it.

• This!
Reactions: Stevey
Status
Not open for further replies.