Community MetaSteam | December 2022 - The end of the year is coming, you better hurry with those games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I mean it was "mobile" in a way.... not the way you're thinking though. Crisis Core OG was released on PSP in 2007 (At least when I lived in Japan as a kid, dunno about rest of world.) The third character in Hektor's picture is a character from that game, and also the recent remaster of CC which is why suddenly people remember her lol.
Never mind, I remember their being a cellphone Final Fantasy 7 game that was only released in Japan, I know that in the cover art they have all those dudes in black suits jumping and it looks like a mix of the cover art of Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and Fire Emblem Awakening. I think that game released around that time and I also noticed that she was in a suit as well.

Botan having successfully scored Gamepass, Xbox, and Ubisoft sponsors now takes up Steam Deck in what will surely be one of the most influential advertisements the Steam Deck can have in Japan. :love:
I watched a bit of it last night and the game was running smoothly from what I saw, so that feels like it did a good job with spreading more awareness. It looks like the FPS lioness will spread PC gaming even further.

Also I it doesn't seem like this was sponsored as well, but who knows about the future (although I do have some doubts, but then again Komodo was able to get some big name people to talk about the Steam Deck in the past and right now they are still in damage control mode, with the Steam Deck release in Japan that has been problematic for those that pre-ordered but didn't get their Steam Deck yet.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
One thing that always makes me hesitate in creating "GOTY" lists, is that only a small fraction of games I play is from the current year. The vast majority, like 2/3 or more, is from a couple years ago, and small part from even older than that. Some of the best experienced I had this year aren't from 2022, like Cold Steel III.
So all I can say is based on a very small sample from games I decided to play early. It's not measuring the best games, only the most immediately interesting games, and anything I put on the wishlist and haven't purchased or played yet is ignored. it just feels like a very shallow thing to measure.
I dunno, maybe it's just me who's weird about it. I just think outside of the gaming press whose job it is to always play the "big" games of a year, it's a bit dumb to ask the general audience when they haven't played most of those games yet.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
the question is, who put those descriptions in (some of the) titles? Valve or the developer?
I have older games like Metal Gear Rising and it's text is blank.

My guess and Durante or others might be able to confirm, is is Valve asked devs to have a message written for players.

I'd imagine it was dev driven seeing how MG Rising still has not adopted a new cover art.
proooooobably volvo
I refuse to believe that wouldn't write something about this great game.

PS I spent 200+ hours this year playing eroge games on my Steam Deck. Definitely worth the $700+ I spent on it.

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
this is Sports Story with ryujinx on Steam Deck, yuzu is still not compatible.

Later Ryujinx versions have some kind of bug with fullscreen mode on Deck.
Imo it takes too long to run but once it loads works pretty well, that said I will wait for next yuzu update.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Looking over my curated backlog on Steam, with the exception of Returnal and hopefully Demons Souls next year, next year can easily become a backlog year.

I have a lot of lengthy games I really wanna play like Pathfinder Kingmaker which I can see can take more than a month alone for me.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Kaci really improved Valve's communication.
"#SteamReplay"

this is Sports Story with ryujinx on Steam Deck, yuzu is still not compatible.

Later Ryujinx versions have some kind of bug with fullscreen mode on Deck.
Imo it takes too long to run but once it loads works pretty well, that said I will wait for next yuzu update.
Have the devs mentioned why that game and golf story are Switch only? I'd imagine that now compared to when Golf Story came out that things are very different and that it may not sell as well as Golf Story.

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
Have the devs mentioned why that game and golf story are Switch only? I'd imagine that now compared to when Golf Story came out that things are very different and that it may not sell as well as Golf Story.
From game site:
Q: Why didn’t you port Golf Story to other platforms? Did other platforms show any interest in the game?
A: The Nintendo Switch is the best and most powerful console, so we found it most suited to our needs.

(lol)

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
From game site:
Q: Why didn’t you port Golf Story to other platforms? Did other platforms show any interest in the game?
A: The Nintendo Switch is the best and most powerful console, so we found it most suited to our needs.

(lol)
I hope it goes well for them then, since 2022 indie sales are not 2017 Nintendo Switch sales. They did get showcased in the Nintendo Indie thing.

I looked into it some more and it seems like it's a 2 person team. They were able to release the first game on the Switch thanks to Nintendo (it was Originally going to be a Wii U title). While they have worked on multiple games in the past, it seems that Golf Story was that teams first game that they developed and self published? So I'm guessing that they don't have the experience with multiplatform game releases and how much money those can make.

Which seems very dumb seeing how they are putting all their eggs in one basket meanwhile all the other big name indie games are going multiplatform, getting bigger and even in some cases are becoming publishers themselves for other indie titles.

-------------

By the way now that Steam review summary is out, how does it compare in layout and stats compared to the others, Sony, MS, Nintendo and I think even EGS? Also have one as well. So how does it compare to all of those. The main difference that I can see with Steam and the others is that rather than use time, Steam just tells you how much of a percentage you spent on a particular game.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Another one bites the dust
This tells me I should probably grab the remaining MAGES games I want in case they wind up in some sort of limbo.

Still wish MAGES would have released the recent Memories Off collections on PC even if they had no plans to translate them. Now I am thinking I should maybe just import them on Switch just in case (and of course anything I import gets added to PC within a few months).

____

My actual playtime has been so low this year, but it is hard to know since I have been playing offline more on Steam Deck.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I haven't gotten any votes in several days!

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Saw some of you use the non-English version of the Steam and thus also get the translated replay, so I got curious about how the Finnish one looks.

Not terrible, not sure if machine translated or not. Definitely some direct translations to some terms that probably could use a few more passes. Like say, when they translate 'achievements unlocked' they are using the word that I at least more commonly would translate to 'open', and not 'unlock', and so the literal translation reads 'achievements opened', which is technically a correct translation, but I do wonder if there's a more fitting word out there for that. Or maybe the gaming companies got together at some point and decided that that was good enough and I never noticed before because I never use the Finnish interfaces.

Also the 'Unlocked 100% achievements in this year!' phrase is definitely poorly translated, even google translate does a better job there. The Finnish one basically goes '100% of this years achievements unlocked!' which is obviously not the same.

I'm sure you all found that very interesting.
🇫🇮

:wd_warren:

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Now this is weird; I played 61% of my game time on the Steam Deck, but only 12% with a controller. It seems the analog sticks of the Deck aren't considered a controller. 🤔
I can confirm this is the case as I haven't used controller on PC and I don't have that "X% controller Y%KB+M" section. So yeah, Deck controller input doesn't count as controller ^^

• Eyes
Reactions: Ge0force and Mivey

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I was guessing that as well as my KB+M % was too high, I don't ever play games with KB+M outside of total war so that was weird to see

• Eyes
Reactions: Ge0force and Mivey

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So completed my first ending of Citizen Sleeper. Turns out it is generally considered the best one. Apparently I hadn't messed up the Mina & Lem one. It managed to make me cry at the end, which is a rarity for games nowadays. The only other games that have managed this are Proteus and FF7. Anywa, it's such a bittersweet ending.

The other thing it managed to do was also make me sad for not completing the other story lines along the way. I will be replaying it to see how Sabine's story line plays out, I met 2 new charachters that are apparently part of the DLC, a new character that I should have unlocked all the way back when I started playing.

And this all leads me to a problem. My GOTY. This is the first time in a long time that I just don't know which way to go. I have put 100 hours into Vampire Survivors and I have no doubt that I will put another 100 hours into it over the coming years. It is such a fun game. But Citizen Sleeper tells such a wonderful story/ies. It is so well written, the characters you meet along the way are so well done. The music is beautiful, the artwork is beautiful Ultimately I just keep flip flopping between the two games.

All I can say is it's just as well Endwalker isn't eligible (being DLC/expansion) as there would be a three way tie here. There is also FFVI which, along with Chrono Trigger and Tetris, is one of my GOAT's.

I still have Chained Echoes to have a go with, but I think my top 5 games are pretty much locked in. Just the order to sort out.

Just as well I am not a fan of Fromsoft games as this would be an absolute clusterfuck at the moment.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Counting Steam Deck as kbm feels like a bug
No no, they do not count it as KB, it simply doesn't count it as if it was a completely different thing.

Reactions: Mivey

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
If I was to guess, they will be keeping KH’s till the next major news drop for KH4.

or, you know, “Square”.

Outside of that, there could be some sort of hang up with Disney releasing it on steam for “Reasons”. The next test on these exclusives is CHAOS. Sorry Strangers of Paradise’s release. If that releases with no KH release then there is very likely other factors at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.