Community MetaSteam | February 2019 - The Frontier of the Hyper-Toxic Pro-Consumer Computer Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreenArrow

Ask me about my podcast damn it
Nov 20, 2018
www.thecellarletters.com
The first "boss" in Ace Combat 7 was cool as fuck.

It's a pretty unique rogue-lite management game.
Can feel a bit shallow at times, but then you suddenly have a monster that does the weirdest shit requiring you to look up a bunch of wikis just to understand it.

I'd definitely recommend taking a look, but the translation was a bit issue-ridden at launch, no idea if it improved since.
Thanks for the info! I think I’ll check it out. Now I just need to find something else to grab to get to $30 lol

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Ah sounds good about evoland 2, now with the the legendary edition, might as well play through both.
Evoland 2 is the better game, but I've enjoyed Evoland as well. You unlock new game mechanics or graphics updates every few minutes. "Annoying town music unlocked" :giggle:

Deleted member 113

Regarding the tags that you can add to a game, I was wondering:
-can you rename one of your tags?
-how can I search for my own created tags? I labelled some games (the ones that became either timed-exclusive for the EGS or Discord), and would like to see the games with each tag.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
So does anyone know the combination of effects that is causing this?

Basically there are things that are not shiny (in this case some scratches from wheels) are showing up shiny. The screenshot unfortunately doesn't show off the whole effect - it looks very shimmery in game.

This one shows up even farther from the way it looks in game, but you can see something weird going on

That's screen space reflections artifacts, because the one they've used in the engine is not so good. can't do anything about it except turning it off on the options menu. but obviously you lose the ssr effect. As an added bonus, the higher you run the game resolution at, the worse it gets :(

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
R6 Siege's latest patch kills the FPS anytime there is lighting effects or particles on screen. o_O

Since it's a live-service type game and everyone has to be on the same footing, there is no option to roll-back a patch. >_<

big oof. At first I thought it was me and I kept lowering my resolution scale... Went from 4K to ~1600p to compensate.

orz.

Last edited:

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
R6 Siege's latest patch kills the FPS anytime there is lighting effects or particles on screen. o_O

Since it's a live-service type game and everyone has to be on the same footing, there is no option to roll-back a patch. >_<

big oof. At first I thought it was me and I kept lowering my resolution scale... Went from 4K to ~1600p to compensate.

orz.
The universe is telling you to stop playing Siege and work on your backlog.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018

Been a couple weeks since I last played anything besides Spelunky. Gave Helheim a try since I just won it here and it looked cool.

Dang, this is pretty fun, man. It's got a nice art style with greatly textured surfaces. Mostly rock. Fits the Norse setting quite good.
Music and animation are absolutely on the lower end of quality however but I quickly forgot about it. The gameplay is just that captivating.
By that I mean, it's fast, so fast and there's almost never downtime. The fixed camera makes it easier to only focus on movement and combat.

Here two short WebMs showing the game in motion. Dunno if they get embedded here.
https://my.mixtape.moe/mbtsra.webm
https://my.mixtape.moe/whkxfx.webm

Helheim's story is basic stuff and window decoration for the gameplay. You're the lord of Ragnarok I think but shit goes downhill and you get captured. That's where the game starts and anything from here on is about brutally mincing everything on your path back to your rightful throne. Think I'm about halfway through and I was in a rocky dungeon, snowy cliffs, flaming hellscapes and electrifying sort-of high-tech places. The journey is quite varied.

Enough with the story though, it's really only a backdrop. It's all about gameplay. As I said it's fast. That's because your main moving mechanic dodging is so well done. First of all, it's infinite. That makes blazing like miniature lightning on the battlefield the most satisfying thing to do. Also, you invulnerable while dodging, making it the defacto state to be in during combat. The only time I walk normally was to admire the sweet environments after the slaughter ends. Combat here is in form of closed arenas which trap you until the last enemy is slain. Afterward, you move on a linear path without combat until the next arena. This could be jarring but Helheim implements the arenas naturally into its map which ends up favorably.

The only weapon you have is a sword with whom you can repel enemy projectiles. There's a generous timing window but button mashing will end up with you getting hit. Coupled with the second big pillar of combat Runes, combat gets surprisingly deep. These skills vary from projectile-reflection, health absorption to aggressive projectile-type magic attacks. In my roughly 2 hours of playing, I managed to collect all runes I think. Two of these can be equipped before every battle via rune selectors. Runes are like special skills which you have to use tactically as their bar fills up by killing enemies. For masses of mediocre enemies, it's fun unleash runes while quickly filling up the gauge. But once you reach a certain point, you'll be sparingly using them for the tougher enemies.

Speaking about enemies, there's the projectile shooting weak ones which usually aren't problematic. Unless you don't make quick business and let enough of them spawn which can make the game look like a true bullet hell shmup. No joke, there'll be plenty times where dodging waves of bullets is the only way to not get hit. Walking on the battlefield is almost a no-go.
Still, more difficult enemies get slowly introduced and those can really mess up your day. Rocket-launching giants, teleporting sharpshooters and witches whose screams throws waves that punch you can become a serious issue. Prioritizing the order of enemies to tackle coupled with thoughtful usage of runes is critical. Any other tactic will be your doom.

That's a good thing as it makes combat something to look forward. Trying out rune combinations and finding the perfect tactic to achieve victoriously is really satisfying. There are thinking and depth to the gameplay here, which makes Helheim a winner.
It's not an easy game, I died plenty of times even on "Easy" and at times you might think it's cheap and consider giving up. But after several tries, even the most difficult arena can be swept dominantly. It's all about finding the right approach and perfecting the mechanics. Very satisfying.

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Been a couple weeks since I last played anything besides Spelunky. Gave Helheim a try since I just won it here and it looked cool.
that's an AWESOME write-up, Veggie ... thanks for that! :D

Didn't Epic/Sergey say something about trying to be better than Steam about making sure games work? Or am I just completely projecting a false memory here?
he did, yes

so much for that, i guess ;)

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Didn't Epic/Sergey say something about trying to be better than Steam about making sure games work? Or am I just completely projecting a false memory here?
That's hilarious. :steam_pig_crylaughing:
Post automatically merged:

Lol, and they didn't even manage to take out the actual Steam files.

Literally can't make this shit up, lmao.
(madjoki found it)

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I don't want to defend Epic Store. But isn't it the dev's job to remove Steam related files?
Sure, but Epic made a big deal about testing their games better than Steam :p
Apparently you reach that area in less than 1 hour and Galyonkin claimed to have tested it himself, but never reached the area in question, so that bodes well for their testing process!

In any case, it was the devs fault and it's fixed now, but it's certainly amusing.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
That sort of stuff is going to be part for the course the more these stores proliferate. GOG has similar features but those rarely get used for the simple reason that no Devs want to maintain their game on a ton of different storefronts

Deleted member 113

Some bittersweet news regarding Overload:

This saddens me a bit. The team made a great new entry, a new classic, in a genre that has been lacking for close to 2 decades, it received great reviews from everyone who played it, but most people didn't give it a try. Not even with a free demo available.

The game was Descent 4 in all but the name (made by the actual creators of the series), but it seems the naming had a bigger impact than it should have.

I've seen more people excited about Forsaken Remastered, a port of an old game, than Overload, a brand new game. :cry:

Needless to say, I highly recommend the game, which is currently on sale on Steam:

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I'm so upset with AC7 right now. Had to ragequit.

:wd_potatoes:

Misson 12 is kinda tough as it is, so I had already wasted 30 minutes on two failed attempts. Then on my third attempt I get 16 minutes in, everything is going great! I killed every enemy on the map and suddenly all the radio stuff cuts out. No more enemies spawn. I spend the last 4 minutes flying around looking for literally anything. Nothing shows up. Timer counts down to 0.... And I fail the mission? Why? What did I do? There was nothing left to kill? No markers on my radar! The story objective thingy I had to protect was still alive and well...

I'm so confused. I think it glitched. ... but an hour for this mission just down the drain like that. I mean. I struggle to beat games okay? I do. THIS ISN'T HELPING!

:suicide-blob::suicide-blob::suicide-blob::suicide-blob:

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I'm so upset with AC7 right now. Had to ragequit.

:wd_potatoes:

Misson 12 is kinda tough as it is, so I had already wasted 30 minutes on two failed attempts. Then on my third attempt I get 16 minutes in, everything is going great! I killed every enemy on the map and suddenly all the radio stuff cuts out. No more enemies spawn. I spend the last 4 minutes flying around looking for literally anything. Nothing shows up. Timer counts down to 0.... And I fail the mission? Why? What did I do? There was nothing left to kill? No markers on my radar! The story objective thingy I had to protect was still alive and well...

I'm so confused. I think it glitched. ... but an hour for this mission just down the drain like that. I mean. I struggle to beat games okay? I do. THIS ISN'T HELPING!

:suicide-blob::suicide-blob::suicide-blob::suicide-blob:
I don't actually recall the radio cutting out in Mission 12, I seem to remember getting constant mission updates from the land units and land base.

Oh wait, do you mean when the spotters for Stonehenge disappear? Or something else?

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I don't actually recall the radio cutting out in Mission 12, I seem to remember getting constant mission updates from the land units and land base.

Oh wait, do you mean when the spotters for Stonehenge disappear? Or something else?
Yeah, I was getting constant mission updates as well. ... Until I killed everything and nothing else spawned.

It was after I got the confirmation that all enemy bombers were destroyed and just ground forces remained. So I cleaned those up.

Nothing else happened after that. Just the timer counting down. And apparently if it reaches zero you auto-fail.

:cry:

I can live with failure if the failure is mine. This is... I don't even know. Pretty sure it glitched. I'm just so sour lol. >_< Kinda just wanna shower and sleep now.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Yeah, I was getting constant mission updates as well. ... Until I killed everything and nothing else spawned.

It was after I got the confirmation that all enemy bombers were destroyed and just ground forces remained. So I cleaned those up.

Nothing else happened after that. Just the timer counting down. And apparently if it reaches zero you auto-fail.

:cry:

I can live with failure if the failure is mine. This is... I don't even know. Pretty sure it glitched. I'm just so sour lol. >_< Kinda just wanna shower and sleep now.
Huh, that's weird. So did you never see Stonehenge firing, or the Arsenal Bird appearing? Or did those happen before the glitch?

Regardless, that sounds like a real weird and terrible glitch!

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Huh, that's weird. So did you never see Stonehenge firing, or the Arsenal Bird appearing? Or did those happen before the glitch?

Regardless, that sounds like a real weird and terrible glitch!
Never saw either of those things. orz

I can't really play tomorrow, but over the weekend I think I'll try to grind some money to buy better ground attack planes. See if I can't speed up that first part of the mission.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Never saw either of those things. orz

I can't really play tomorrow, but over the weekend I think I'll try to grind some money to buy better ground attack planes. See if I can't speed up that first part of the mission.
Huh yeah, if you eliminated the bombers and land units, that definitely sounds like a bizarre glitch. I wonder what could have caused it.

FWIW, I seem to recall doing that mission with the Su-30M2 which isn't actually even a ground attack plane, but something like the A-10 or Su-34 might be worth grinding for. I also had success using the Su-47 and Su-57 in later ground attack heavy missions.

Hope the mission works for you next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.