Community MetaSteam | February 2019 - The Frontier of the Hyper-Toxic Pro-Consumer Computer Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 113

that's how they get you ...
You kid, but earlier today I just read something hilarious on PCGamer.
They have been on a full on "Epic good, Steam bad" attack, and even when reporting the Steam Lunar Sale, they had to write this:

«but, of course, you have to buy games to earn tokens, so that $5 off comes at the cost of spending far more than $5. That's what Steam sales are all about: Spending more than you meant to, even though you're supposed to be saving money. »

Steam Lunar Sale 2018 best deals | PC Gamer

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
You kid, but earlier today I just read something hilarious on PCGamer.
They have been on a full on "Epic good, Steam bad" attack, and even when reporting the Steam Lunar Sale, they had to write this:

«but, of course, you have to buy games to earn tokens, so that $5 off comes at the cost of spending far more than $5. That's what Steam sales are all about: Spending more than you meant to, even though you're supposed to be saving money. »

thank you for describing LITERALLY EVERY SALE EVER, Captain Obvious ...

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

thank you for describing LITERALLY EVERY SALE EVER, Captain Obvious ...
I think some brain cells died reading that line, then more when I tried to make sense of it.
...and I'm the guy who just gladly paid $20 to back that new Bubsy kickstarter project with pride!

Thank Crom there exists comics that can actually get my braincells running again at least.

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
Before linking my Steam account to Apex I had 0 friends playing the game. After linking it... I still have 0 friends.

Apec released with good timing for me since I've been kind of thinking about finding a multiplayer game to play again. A few years ago I played Dota a lot and I miss it.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Is no one else hype for LEFT ALIVE?

Every time I try and mention it on Era I just get people reminding me about Sekiro and DMC5. Neither of which I care about. DMC5 requires you to be invested in the previous 4. I'm not. (Yet.) My interest in Sekiro relies heavily on the character creation/customization aspects. Which they've been hesitant as fuck to even show. Makes me wonder if it even makes it into the game at this point...

As a final talking point, is there anyway to know whether the next Total War will have RedShell spyware again? If the Dev is still supporting that, fuck them 100% tbh. I get the feeling we'll have to wait until the game is out and installed for people to report back on that however...

Deleted member 113

Every time I try and mention it on Era I just get people reminding me about Sekiro and DMC5. Neither of which I care about. DMC5 requires you to be invested in the previous 4. I'm not. (Yet.) My interest in Sekiro relies heavily on the character creation/customization aspects. Which they've been hesitant as fuck to even show. Makes me wonder if it even makes it into the game at this point...
Yeah, I'm buying LEFT ALIVE. ;)
The game looks like the gaming equivalent to a B-Movie, so right up my alley.

Controversial opinion, but on the opposite side, I can't say I particularly care for the slow-paced action/adventure titles From Software keeps making in recent years.
I haven't finished a single Souls game, and Sekiro features some of those slow-paced combat elements that almost puts me to sleep. :D

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
While I was testing Anthem on my rig I had a sane idea, for a change, and wondered about my temps. Turns out speccy told me 2500k at 73c and gtx 970 at 80c. As I'm still a noob techwise, what should I make of it ? Where we in the process of dividing by zero ? The fusion just a little farther ?
No seriously, what, in a gaming PC, are good temp for these parts in you opinion ?

And what should I use to monitor that stuff ?
Late but don't use the Anthem demo as an indicator for anything, my temps went up to 80° when they usually barely go to 65°. Same for graphics card, others reported similar behaviour, the game is doing some strange stuff like 100% load on everything (which is unusual, you usually have a GPU or CPU bottleneck) while not running that great. So normally 73° for a 2500k and 80° for a 970 wouldn't be great at all, I had mine overclocked (2500k and 970) and never got that high. But since it's Anthem...

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Yeah, I'm buying LEFT ALIVE. ;)
The game looks like the gaming equivalent to a B-Movie, so right up my alley.

Controversial opinion, but on the opposite side, I can't say I particularly care for the slow-paced action/adventure titles From Software keeps making in recent years.
I haven't finished a single Souls game, and Sekiro features some of those slow-paced combat elements that almost puts me to sleep. :D
I don't dislike the Souls series or the premise of Sekiro, but I desperately wish FROM would drop a Tenchu reboot and the next Armored Core already. It's been forever!

orz

To me, LEFT ALIVE looks a bit like MGSV but with campy voice-acting and hopefully a decent, fully featured story! (Unlike MGSV, cough cough.) The Mecha is icing on the cake. :whistle:

My hypu quotient will increase rapidly if they shown some sort of mech combat. But from the trailer it feels like a tactical shooter, hence my lukewarm enthusiasm for it. Personally, I would love to see Front Mission 6 more than anything else but I know I'm just daydreaming.

You'll have to forgive the choppiness of the video here, the actual game isn't like that but it's a result of the FPS difference between recording and stream. There are a few more mecha combat clips floating around Youtube, and larger 20 minute+ gameplay demos + livestreams from the devs.

... The problem is, they aren't really advertising this game much! So of course not many people have seen these things.

I'll be happy to see the game find it's niche audience and resonate as a cult classic... I hope? Gosh I'm really praying it doesn't turn out to be a disaster!

:wd_comfy:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
If all he wants is wanzer skirmishes then he shouldn't get it honestly, they're there in some capacity but the vast majority of the game is on foot as far as we know. I don't really care, I mean, if they hadn't said anything we wouldn't even know it's in the Front Mission universe. they aren't calling it Front Mission (unlike that other abomination, Evolved) so there's no reason to keep ragging on the game for what it isn't, they didn't deceive anybody nor are they calling this the successor/replacement for what FM stood for. And yeah that's what I'm hoping for too, a game that may not be as polished as MGSV in its systems but one that will actually feel like a complete package all things considered. It's clear where their inspirations lie (iirc they spoke with Kojima and such at the time, get his blessing or something for clearly aping his projects and even hiring his artist) though the controls seem perhaps a bit clunkier and closer to Splinter Cell in the shootouts and gadgets, perhaps to emphasise tactics and stealth over going all Rambo as you easily could in MGSV. I'm really hoping it delivers.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
You'll have to forgive the choppiness of the video here, the actual game isn't like that but it's a result of the FPS difference between recording and stream. There are a few more mecha combat clips floating around Youtube, and larger 20 minute+ gameplay demos + livestreams from the devs.
That looks pretty good, actually. Thanks for sharing. I'll look into more gameplay videos later when I get home. Did any of those show any customisation/resource management aspects?

If all he wants is wanzer skirmishes then he shouldn't get it honestly, they're there in some capacity but the vast majority of the game is on foot as far as we know.
While it's true that what I'm really after is a mech SRPG/TRPG, I'll definitely look into getting the game if there's enough in non-mech combat to gain my interest. I'd love to see stealth gameplay/immersive sim elements, for instance. Something along the lines of Dishonoured would definitely be something I'm into, I also enjoyed Battletech last year for its resource management/mech customisation aspect, but it lacks the greater narrative of Harebrained's previous games and the game doesn't have an extensive RPG progression mechanics for its pilots.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
That looks pretty good, actually. Thanks for sharing. I'll look into more gameplay videos later when I get home. Did any of those show any customisation/resource management aspects?
I don't recall any customization off the top of my head, but at the same time I haven't seen all the streams and devlogs myself. (Since the marketing material is largely irrelevant to me, given my purchase was guaranteed anyway. Such is my love for Square-Enix, sci-fi, and third person games.) :love:

Reactions: lashman and Kvik

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018

That's not what my friends whom I have violently threatened say.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of mech games.

Reactions: lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Is this some kind of PC Engine era game? Those are some nostalgia-inducing visuals, dang.
Close. Power Dolls were originally a PC-98 game, developed by Kogado Studios. It was released by MegaTech for DOS in 1995. It's basically a turn-based SRPG game. Kogado will go on to make a number of sequels, but none of them were available in English, sadly. The latest entry was Power Dolls 5plusX, released in 2007.

Power Dolls for DOS (1994) - MobyGames

I especially love the soundtrack of Power Dolls 2 Dash.

These days, you can even find a few of Kogado Studio's games on Steam. Still featuring beautiful ladies, but not exactly the games we really after.

Steam Search

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I was just looking over my older GOTY lists and 2010, wow that was an amazing year!

My top 5:
Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Civilization V
Fallout: New Vegas

Those are all some of my favourite games of all time!
From that list I played New Vegas and Civilization V a lot and both are really great games. I played the first missions of Mass Effect 2 and it didn't hold my attention, same happened with Dragon Age maybe I'm not into Bioware games but I plan to give them another chance some day.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Yesterday I finally finished Roak in Star Ocean 4. God, that planet was too big for its own good. Or rather, the size was fine, but if you couple it with no fast-travel and ridiculously bad side quests that have you go from A to B to C back to A but now to C again etc, it got extremely tiring. And I'm not even bothering with the ones that take more effort...
There was one questline that had you get an item for a person. You can buy that item in the city that's basically on the other end of the map. Then you go there, buy it, and go back. Then, I kid you not, the guy just loses it and asks you for another one... :steam_pig_deadpan:
I'm generally enjoying it, but it sure is missing some QoL features (and I couldn't get CheatEngine-speedhacking to work with it... )

suiko

saviour of worlds
Nov 12, 2018
it is fast enough as it is, it actually is fast, why do you even need more speed?

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
it is fast enough as it is, it actually is fast, why do you even need more speed?
Because there is no fast-travel and running is not fast enough when you need to travel a dozen times from A to B and back without actually needing anything from the path between them. It doesn't actually take "that" long, but it's just boring as fuck because it feels pointless.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Take 2's CEO of all people delivered a crushing blow to the moneyhat apologists. Amusing.
not that it really means much coming from an exec ... the moment epic shows up with a big enough bag of money - they'll make a deal with them

Status
Not open for further replies.