Community MetaSteam | February 2020 - Marching Towards Greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

I 100% owned a launch-window copy of 2600 Golf back in 1980. Man was it bad.

It was one of those games that I wanted to love as the relaxing pace was pretty novel in an era primarily focused on short, twitch-gameplay experiences as found in your local arcade.

But the swing mechanic just made no sense to me. At least in a par-rating kinda way. I could move the ball around the green, but aiming was super-unintuitive and seemed to rely on pure luck more than anything.

Still an interesting retro oddity though.

Makes me pine for the last good PGA game, Tiger Woods '14. Man that thing had it all. Tons of courses, pro-golfers, equipment unlocks. All crafted in an intelligent progress (unlocks) roadmap that felt rewarding rather than cheap or stingy.

Cripes I'd kill for a direct port of Tiger 14 on modern machines. Don't need enhancements or anything. Just let me play it on my current setup.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Weren't the Tiger Woods games the one that had you flicking the sticks like a maniac to control the ball in the air?
I remember my housemate slowly turning to hating that feature in some of the games.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
They did have the "pull back the stick and push forward" swing mechanic followed by rapid button mashing to put spin on the ball while it was in the air.

It was popular for a few titles but EA eventually folded the classic 3-button press swing mechanic back into the games. So the last couple-few Tiger releases offered both control options based on your preference.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
As I said multiple times, as long as Titanfall 2 comes to Steam it will be worthy, why? cause' that game deserves a second chance on PC and if bringing it to the biggest platform help, that would absolutely amazing. VINDICATED!
I remember Golf on NES.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Mario Golf on the N64 was a favorite at uni. Could do 4 player and if it wasn't your turn you could shout things like 'Hurry up' and 'Four' by pressing the yellow arrow buttons.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
About PSO2, prepare for one of the best character creators (despite the game's limited graphics quality).
Though, no idea how many outfits, accessories and such the western version will have at launch, the JP version gets new cosmetics almost every 2 weeks after all.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018

I 100% owned a launch-window copy of 2600 Golf back in 1980. Man was it bad.

It was one of those games that I wanted to love as the relaxing pace was pretty novel in an era primarily focused on short, twitch-gameplay experiences as found in your local arcade.

But the swing mechanic just made no sense to me. At least in a par-rating kinda way. I could move the ball around the green, but aiming was super-unintuitive and seemed to rely on pure luck more than anything.

Still an interesting retro oddity though.

Makes me pine for the last good PGA game, Tiger Woods '14. Man that thing had it all. Tons of courses, pro-golfers, equipment unlocks. All crafted in an intelligent progress (unlocks) roadmap that felt rewarding rather than cheap or stingy.

Cripes I'd kill for a direct port of Tiger 14 on modern machines. Don't need enhancements or anything. Just let me play it on my current setup.
Awesome! Enjoy reading about retro gaming. Keep 'em coming! :blobevening:

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Hm, something weird happened. An unknown person sent me a friend request and he's not a bot. The level and game catalog is too high for that.

But it's even worse than that. I also noticed two new comments, so I checked them... and they are something alright.

It's from the same person who sent me the friend request, so I guess he wants to do more.

Had tons of bots try to scam me but this is the first time in all my years on Steam.
Why though? I don't know him at all.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
^^^ I guess some people are just really unhappy and/or frustrated in life and it comes out sideways like that.

I know the first impulse (well besides blocking/unfriending, of course) might be to take it personally but I try to remind myself that toxic stuff like this tends to mostly come from people who are hurting inside.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Just started Ys viii, and the game looks like this in 4k, something's wrong :kd_senkothink:

HUD/Menu looks fine but the rest :fearful-face:
Something's definitely wrong lol. Did you try switching between borderless and full screen to see if it's giving you the same result? I know on that screen you also have to confirm your settings when you switch.

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
Something's definitely wrong lol. Did you try switching between borderless and full screen to see if it's giving you the same result? I know on that screen you also have to confirm your settings when you switch.
Yeah, i tried all 3 types, and they all look the same, i restarted the game even. Gonna fiddle with the settings some more.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Just started Ys viii, and the game looks like this in 4k, something's wrong :kd_senkothink:

HUD/Menu looks fine but the rest :fearful-face:
This is why we can't have nice things! You stop whatever it is you are doing wrong, right now!
lol

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
What a week, JFC, clearly this is a "trend keeps giving" moment.

So no more EGS exclusives from Annapurna?
Never say never but as far as 2020 goes, everything has been Steam + others, even Sayonara last year.

I gave up thinking this was going to come to anything except mobile. So excited :coffee-blob: :coffee-blob: :coffee-blob:
Yeah, me too.

Looks interesting. Too bad it's Annapurna 😞
Well, maybe in the future if you change your mind, there's always time :cat-heart-blob:

Absolutely amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.