Community MetaSteam | February 2020 - Marching Towards Greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It never ceases to amaze me just how popular the Gears games are in Mexico. It seems like a third of all the Gears posts i've ever read have been from there.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Update: I cancelled my Animal Crossing Switch preorder upon realizing it didn't come with Animal Crossing. I knew the price seemed too low!

Reactions: lashman

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
You sure? No download code?
"This $300 Switch will arrive on March 13th, a week before the launch of Animal Crossing: New Horizons. It's covered in pastel colors, with two-toned Joy-Cons and a white dock that has some of the game's characters painted on it. The only thing it doesn't come with is the game itself -- that you'll have to buy separately"

Reactions: lashman and Dandy

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
PictoQuest is also on Humble $4.20 if you have Choice

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Who said anything about Valve/Steam o_O
Andrew Bado said a bunch of stuff about Steam. I mean that's what the discussion was about, Mor said that Andrew's tweets (about Steam and trying to get into EGS) are old and you said why should we forgive and forget and so on and so forth.

Unless you are only singling out the EGS tweets, in which case, again, I don't need to forgive him for trying to sell his games on as many places as possible.

Unless you are only talking about Satisfactory, and again, they don't need to my forgiveness for taking a surefire payday that the studio can function for at least a year or whatever.

Unless you are talking about the joke about 10 copies? It doesn't show in the tweet embed but the first tweet was a joke about selling 9 copies on EGS. It's just a joke.

This isn't that serious. Shouldn't be at least.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Andrew Bado said a bunch of stuff about Steam. I mean that's what the discussion was about, Mor said that Andrew's tweets (about Steam and trying to get into EGS) are old and you said why should we forgive and forget and so on and so forth.

Unless you are only singling out the EGS tweets, in which case, again, I don't need to forgive him for trying to sell his games on as many places as possible.

Unless you are only talking about Satisfactory, and again, they don't need to my forgiveness for taking a surefire payday that the studio can function for at least a year or whatever.

Unless you are talking about the joke about 10 copies? It doesn't show in the tweet embed but the first tweet was a joke about selling 9 copies on EGS. It's just a joke.

I am talking about the health of the industry as a whole, about developers and publishers antagonizing and ridiculing their own customers.
The only one who I singled out was Coffee stain who are just fine financially and will be fine for years to come. They can pay their CEO millions in salary and bonus just fine.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
The only one who I singled out was Coffee stain who are just fine financially and will be fine for years to come. They can pay their CEO millions in salary and bonus just fine.
also owned by THQ ... i feel like people keep forgetting about that little detail (not saying you did ... just in general)

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Hey Blackwake is 90% off, you will need a group of people to play. because game is pretty dead, but is really fun.

Reactions: Recrees

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I am talking about the health of the industry as a whole, about developers and publishers antagonizing and ridiculing their own customers.
You replied to a post about the tweets, naturally I assume you are also talking about those tweets. Not the fate of the entire industry.
I haven't really seen much in the way of devs antagonizing customers. Aside from Ooblets devs, that's been mostly the press. A joke about selling 10 copies on Steam instead of 9 copies on EGS (also a joke) is not that at least. There's been a little bit of talking down to us, but nothing to get up and arms about for more than few days.

And it was never in question whether Coffee Stain will be fine. But at the same time an extra security blanket has never hurt anyone.

Besides, there are so many stories about companies being seemingly fine and then oops all of a sudden mass layoffs, restructuring and what have you.
I mean just recently Telltale, they were fine. Until it turned out that they weren't at all, we just didn't hear about it until it it all blew up. Not saying that an Epic boost would have saved the company as is because by all accounts it was a shitshow, but I can't really blame anyone for taking the money. Despite being fine.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
"This $300 Switch will arrive on March 13th, a week before the launch of Animal Crossing: New Horizons. It's covered in pastel colors, with two-toned Joy-Cons and a white dock that has some of the game's characters painted on it. The only thing it doesn't come with is the game itself -- that you'll have to buy separately"
Well Pokemon themed Switch Lite also didn't come with the game.

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019

Soundtracks library slowly getting bigger. Any possibility we be able to just stream the music in the future rather than having to download the full albums?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Damn my bank sucks, I used PayPal on Humble to get the picto game and the price was in euro yet still my bank puts a 1€ fee because humble is in the US. So can't get around that fee with PayPal.T_T

Edit: Of course, I should have just added the funds to PayPal first and then buy the game, would have worked instead of using PayPal to use my bankcard.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I just realized CnC generals might finally be on steam 🙃

we’re any of you guys on SteamGaf back in like 2015-2016?
At first glance I would say that's probably when I was there the most.

Damn my bank sucks, I used PayPal on Humble to get the picto game and the price was in euro yet still my bank puts a 1€ fee because humble is in the US. So can't get around that fee with PayPal.T_T

Edit: Of course, I should have just added the funds to PayPal first and then buy the game, would have worked instead of using PayPal to use my bankcard.
Well, maybe it's the sort of site where they display the price in euro but still charge in $
Not the bank's fault.
I can't believe I just defended a bank, I have to go take a shower.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Well, maybe it's the sort of site where they display the price in euro but still charge in $
Not the bank's fault.
I can't believe I just defended a bank, I have to go take a shower.
Yeah that's what humble does but I hoped having PayPal be the middleman would help. But yeah I have a compte nickel, one of those internet only banks and yeah they suck.XD But only bank I could have at the time so I'm going to look into changing banks. So I need recommendations for good French banks!:D

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Godspeed in you search for this unicorn :anguished-face:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

Weird. For me, it does not happen with Paypal, because Humble charges Paypal in dollars, and Paypal does the conversion from euros to dollars, so that Paypal charges my bank in euros. My bank cannot take any forex fee if everything is paid in euros from their perspective.

My bank does take undue fees, but not because of Humble or Paypal, just because charging customers for managing their account is how they make a profit. There are other banks which make a profit from trading, so they do not rely as much on charging their customers with obscure account management fees. At least, in theory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Denuvo was removed from Devil May Cry 5. That's great
But I am still unable to buy the upgrade pack.

I tried to reach Capcom through Twitter. No response
I tried to reach Capcom through mail, they haven't responded to me.
I tried to reach Wbacon on the other forum. He haven't replied

I feel this is a battle that cannot be won. I really want the upgrade pack. I want a complete game.

I want the Mega Buster

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Can't even get SAO FB to launch, it just... well the fans kick up and Steam says I'm in-game but I just see my desktop. Then the fans kick down and Steam says I'm not playing.

"Easy Anti-Cheat" fuckin' sucks.

Had to rename dxgi.dll to d3d11.dll ... EAC picks this up as """""suspicious""""" and crashes the game on start.

Solution: Rename the EAC.dll's to literally whatever you want. You will get error messages but you can click through them and at least the game will work with ReShade now. I assume however this bars all online stuff and anytime the game gets an update on Steam I'll have to repeat this lil' song and dance?

Final note, this game has awful texture work, even on highest setting. Definitely not Bandai's best work with UE4.

Sigh. Anywho, I'm not really sure anyone cares about my troubleshooting so it's more like I'm leaving myself a note in-case I have to do it again. Or maybe some poor fellow in a similar situation will stumble on this via google someday.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Weird. For me, it does not happen with Paypal, because Humble charges Paypal in dollars, and Paypal does the conversion from euros to dollars, so that Paypal charges my bank in euros. My bank cannot take any forex fee if everything is paid in euros from their perspective.

My bank does take undue fees, but not because of Humble or Paypal, just because charging customers for managing their account is how they make a profit. There are other banks which make a profit from trading, so they do not rely as much on charging their customers with obscure account management fees. At least, in theory.
It's strange, it's only humble bundle, like if I use PayPal as a middleman when I add to steam there is no fee. Only reason I can think of is since humble really doesn't use euros.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So EA raised regional prices in Steam, but not in Origin, what kind of 4-d chess are they playing?
who knows ... but that's what ubi did as well a while ago

i'd be even more pissed off if i didn't already own all those old-ass games

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
How does this Geforce Now work?
How does it know which games I own? There seems that there is no way to connect my Steam account to my geforce account

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
How does this Geforce Now work?
How does it know which games I own? There seems that there is no way to connect my Steam account to my geforce account
when you log in for the first time - you just see a desktop with steam running ... that's where you log into your steam account :p and go from there

(and that's how it knows which games you own)

Reactions: Oldschool PC

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
when you log in for the first time - you just see a desktop with steam running ... that's where you log into your steam account :p and go from there

(and that's how it knows which games you own)
Oh, it's in the app. I will check on that later at home
Will it sync save files too? Or are they on separate save files?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Unfortunately, GeforceNow library support seems to be limited.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
So EA raised regional prices in Steam, but not in Origin, what kind of 4-d chess are they playing?
Probably something as simple as "ok, you want steam versions, ok, but the cheaper ones will be on Origin, we give you the option to pay more in your favorite platform or you pay less in our platform"

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hey, UBI is launching a video channel thing !
Who the fuck asked for it ? :disapproval-blob:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Probably something as simple as "ok, you want steam versions, ok, but the cheaper ones will be on Origin, we give you the option to pay more in your favorite platform or you pay less in our platform"
they can't do that ... well, at least according to steam ToS .... but i doubt volvo give a crap

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Hey so im going to login into my Steam account at work to play some FTL (as i got hooked on it again) but last time i logged in at work it reset all my custom categories as it must have overwritten the config file. Can i delete the config.vdf file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config folder to prevent that? will it just then grab the settings from online?

Deleted member 113

You know, Parsnip, context matters.

As the person who posted the tweets you speak of, who you never called out by name (something I personally find "impolite"; if you want to speak about me, or the content of my posts, don't do it indirectly, feel free to @ at me, or send me a PM, I'm more than happy to reply, and explain my point of view, and assume I'm wrong, if that's the case), but whose tweets you mentioned several times, even going as far as to call it "peak system warrior shit", allow me to correct you on something.

I don't have an "unhealthy" need to defend Valve. I'm probably the only guy in here that posts links to itch.io games, I own thousands of titles on GOG, I buy direct downloads all the time, and I pretty much use every legal PC store or launcher on the face of the planet (except the EGS, for reasons I frequently mentioned, directly related to what they did with several games I helped crowdfund, or pre-ordered).
On the last couple of Steam sales, I think I was a bit vocal on my disagreement on how they handled things, in terms of vouchers, in terms of rewards, and so on.
So yeah, I really don't think that's correct.

If you actually bothered to follow the sequence in which I posted those tweets, you would see that I was "calling out" Andrew Bado not because he said some bad things about Valve, but because he crowdfunded a game 7 years ago, with a delivery date of 6 years ago, and since then has worked on everything, but the game he crowdfunded. He is working on his 3rd game since then, plus yet more ports, but the game he crowdfunded is still not released, and frankly there's no expectations of it being released any time soon. The "Valve tweets" were posted as a reply to prudis, since he linked and quoted his last kickstarter update (dated 2017), and my reply had him using the same arguments about Steam being no longer viable two years later, which comes into play in the sense that he used that as a sort of justification for not working and releasing the game he ran a crowdfunding campaign for.

As for the Satisfactory tweet , it was posted, again as a follow up to other tweets, as a minor example of developers who previously antagonized, or even ridiculed, their potential customers, when they complained or voiced their disappointment about the game being exclusive to a single platform.

And my point for that, as I previously posted several times, is that in a time where indie developers and games struggle to have some visibility, I prefer to reward those who treat their customers right, and release their games on as many platforms as they can, instead of the ones that "lock" their games in exclusivity contracts, or who even go as far as to antagonize the people who are supposed to buy their games.
That's my personal opinion. I know many people disagree with it, and will run to buy the games of these developers as soon as they launch on Steam, or on whatever store they use, and that's fine. Like I also keep saying, I'll never try to tell anyone how to spend their hard-earned money.

But, I think I can still say, hopefully without being labelled a "system warrior", that it sucks to see developers who treat their customers well, offer excellent post-launch support, and still struggle to sell their games, and then a few spoiled brats, who signed exclusivity deals, antagonized their potential customers (as if they no longer needed to sell them their games), still being rewarded with constant free publicity, and then, when the exclusivity ends, with healthy sales. I'm not an apologist of rewarding "shitty" practices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
But, I think I can still say, hopefully without being labelled a "system warrior", that it sucks to see developers who treat their customers well, offer excellent post-launch support, and still struggle to sell their games, and then a few spoiled brats, who signed exclusivity deals, antagonized their potential customers (as if they no longer needed to sell them their games), still being rewarded with constant free publicity, and then, when the exclusivity ends, with healthy sales. I'm not an apologist of rewarding "shitty" practices.
Agreed. Nevertheless, it is what it is. We've already seen the kind of narrative that would have spawned out of EGS exclusives doing poorly on Steam. "People who wanted to buy the game already bought it on EGS, ergo people follow the games". So in my opinion EGS exclusives selling well on Steam is the best result when looking at the big picture because it proves that a significant number of people will not purchase blindly.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
So it sync with Steam Cloud?
Yes. Save files are okay.

Sadly, if you take a Steam screenshot while using Geforce Now, then you won't get the option to upload the screenshot after you close the game, and the screenshot, which is saved locally on the Geforce Now virtual machine, will be wiped. However, I think it is possible to take screenshots, and even videos, using tools built in Geforce Now.

By the way, does anybody know if I can play my EGS games with GN? For Yooka², it could result in a better experience than with my desktop.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
By the way, does anybody know if I can play my EGS games with GN? For Yooka², it could result in a better experience than with my desktop.
Yes, you can, it's compatible with almost every service, EGS included.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Yes, you can, it's compatible with almost every service, EGS included.
So, how does it work? You get a dialogue window to select the service? It is weird because I cannot find Outer Wilds on GN, but I can find Yooka² there, so I assumed Yooka² was only the Steam version. I need to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.