Community MetaSteam | February 2020 - Marching Towards Greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Do we agree that the Rift S is the second best VR headset ? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: lashman

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
We just got the first two confirmed COVID-19 cases in my city (which are also the first in Austria). Was only a matter of time given the northern Italy situation.

I'm not concerned at all, but some people are getting a bit agitated.
Super bummer! :(
As Italian, I feel kinda ashamed by my fellow countryfolks that have astonishingly underestimated all the things, causing the virus to spread so quickly for no good reasons.
And now there are entire towns quarantined, empty supermarkets, and pharmacies grossly overpricing hand sanitizers.

Here in Brighton, UK we had one of the first super-spreaders in Europe a couple of weeks ago, leading to closed schools, nurseries, and surgeries.
But the NHS reaction was so swift that the problem got kinda solved in a matter of days.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Seems like I somehow fixed my card drop bug, because if true, I now have 500+ cards to drop...

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I've been surprised by the number of non-cloud Steam games I've played recently. Like it's not a big deal or anything, but the string of them in a row has gotten me into the habit of carrying a data stick between my 2 gaming PCs at home.

Hypnospace Outlaw
UnReal World
ES2: Daggerfall Unity (non-Steam)
Thief Gold
Thief Simulator (guess I'm on a klepto-kick, lol)
Sword of the Stars: The Pit

Pretty atypical as I haven't had this issue in as long as I can remember.

Not a big deal as I said, but in its absence it sure makes you appreciate the feature.
In cases like indie games it could help to just tweet the devs, perhaps they don't know just how easy it is to enable Steam cloud saves.

Reactions: lashman and Mor

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
We just got the first two confirmed COVID-19 cases in my city (which are also the first in Austria). Was only a matter of time given the northern Italy situation.

I'm not concerned at all, but some people are getting a bit agitated.
Yeah, I'm also a bit worried about my mother, given her age and respiratory health. But I'm pretty confident in our healthcare system.
Yeah I read that earlier today. I work in the Austrian healthcare system (so its good to hear you're confident in it - I am, too) and we're also pretty close to Italy (I'm from Carinthia)...and my brother lives there, actually. He works in a school that has been closed due to coronavirus panic... it all seems a bit overblown to me, too. But I guess it's better to contain a new virus we don't know so well, yet.
And I've just been sick, I can do without any further infections and viruses and somesuch. Let's hope this doesn't escalate to something silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
In cases like indie games it could help to just tweet the devs, perhaps they don't know just how easy it is to enable Steam cloud saves.
That's not a bad idea.

I normally feel kinda reluctant to reach out to indie devs on Twitter 'cause I feel like it's pestering them with minor quibbles. Like I don't want to add to that avalanche of Entitled Gamer Demands (tm.) they seem so burdened with, even if my suggestions are minor.

Guess I could see it more when a game is in EA as that's the window for player feedback.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I have also seen, especially with VR games, that there are some games that doesn't have tagged cloud saves on the store page, but the game still have cloud saves going to the properties.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Do we agree that the Rift S is the second best VR headset ? Asking for a friend.
After the Index? Imo yes, if you don't care about the Quest's stand-alone functionality, since the S is more comfortable and has slightly better picture quality. Also zero lag but not everyone notices the difference. Good luck getting either of the two though right now.

Last edited:

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
The new Resident Eilv looks good graphically but nothing amazing. I'm hopeful for some RTX upgrades later in the year to coincide with the PS5/Scarlett release.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
It's kind of amazing how the concurrent peaks on Steam have grown across the board. 1 or 2 years ago, the last few spots in the the top 20 would peak at 10k-15k max, with the rest of the top 100 coming under 10k. Now the 5 digit peaks extend to more than half the top 100 list. Wouldn't be surprised if throughout this year we see around 80%-90% of the top 100 reach a 10k+ peak simultaneously.

There is just too much good stuff to play.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Looks pretty hot to me, RE engine is awesome, especially considering the performance and versatility in different games like DMC5. Love the new dodge stuff.

Just wish it had better TAA implementation, too much shader aliasing/shimmering in all those games. Eurogamer video is cringe when the staff is on screen.
If cost is a factor then it's 1st best, if you can easily drop over double its asking price with no regrets then Index is an one way street, with caveats, when sold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
So far, DJMAX Respect is the best non-VR rhythm game I have discovered.

And the game so so many damn songs it's incredible.
It's the best rhythm game on Steam, for sure. And just wait till they port all of PS4 DLCs,
Still doesn't hold a candle to Bemani games though...

Reactions: 「Echo」

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Yes! I hope it's soon. God, I'm insanely hyped for this game. Gonna have to resist watching that new footage though.

Last edited:
Reactions: LEANIJA

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

Preorder. Guess WRC8 didn't do too well over at youknowwhere.

Still trucking along.

Not quite dead yet either.

Last edited:

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018

This looks nice. I'm betting it's buggy as hell with all the building/shooting/procedural whatnot.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Which is really strange because more people die annually of your common variety flu at an astronomically higher rate but nobody is in a panic over that.

Hell even that avian flu outbreak some years ago was way more contagious & deadly as well.

I don't get all the fuss.
Because there is a vaccine against the flu. If you are in one of the danger groups, you could sleep soundly with knowing you had your flu shot.
THERE IS NO VACCINE AGAINST COVID! If you are in the danger group, some fuckwit who is a carrier and babbles about how covid isn't that dangerous CAN LITERALLY KILL YOU!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Because there is a vaccine against the flu. If you are in one of the danger groups, you could sleep soundly with knowing you had your flu shot.
THERE IS NO VACCINE AGAINST COVID! If you are in the danger group, some fuckwit who is a carrier and babbles about how covid isn't that dangerous CAN LITERALLY KILL YOU!
Eh, if the flu shot was 100% efficient, ok, but that’s farrrrr from being the case.
I say that as a pro-vax who will happily and proudly take my vax, don’t get me wrong.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
The funny thing about those 3 games I want from that bundle is that their historical low summed up is lower than the bundle price, so I'll probably skip and buy in sale - but at least they're now on my wishlist.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Eh, if the flu shot was 100% efficient, ok, but that’s farrrrr from being the case.
I say that as a pro-vax who will happily and proudly take my vax, don’t get me wrong.
Worst thing is, since the virus is so novel, when you get it and stave off infection, your immune system won't learn how to handle the stuff.
So a reinfection is quite likely, and given how the virus damages lung matter, the 2nd infection might not end as well as the 1st one.
And if that scares you, don't look up what feline Coronavirus can do to cats

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I'll take my chances that the flu shot is only 95% or so effective. Against 0% effectiveness against Covid.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
This website is so cool: noclip
I love that website! I'd first seen it after watching a video made by the site's owner. It was (among other things) about water rendering in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

In the few months since my last visit he added a lot of new maps though... I'm impressed.

Edit: wow, he even added Super Mario Odyssey!

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
That Covid virus stuff is terrifying. Somehow in a matter of like 10 days the thing spread into Korea, Iran, Japan and now Italy.

Reading how the symptoms are basically pneumonia is the worst thing about it. fuck that.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I think Path of Exile has clicked for me, I think that playing as a Witch did it. Same thing happened to Diablo 3, started palying as a Barbarian, was fun, but changed out of the blue to Mage or whatever magic/wizard class there is and it was a lot more fun.

Might do a magic class in Wolcen too, but not sure.

Reactions: Stevey and inky
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Search Updates
New search features, fresh out of Steam Labs!
We've just released new features designed to make Search more powerful and easier to use. With new filtering capabilities and quality of life improvements, Steam Search is now even better at helping you browse for new games, or narrow in on exactly what you're looking for.

Steam Labs
Today's changes to Search were made as part of Steam Labs, an initiative where we try out upcoming changes and gather feedback on their usefulness.

By developing new features in Labs we're able to experiment more, without impacting everyone who uses Steam. This means we can try things which might not work out, and can receive user feedback much earlier in the development process. Not everyone uses Steam the same way, so the feedback we receive in Steam Labs helps us serve a wider audience.

Our Search experiment started as an exploration of new ranking algorithms, but based upon user feedback it expanded to include the many quality of life improvements in today's release. While large features often get the most attention, smaller changes are essential for a smoother user experience.

What is Search, Anyway?
Steam Search does more than just looking up games; it's a powerful tool that drives many of our discoverability features, including Top Sellers and Specials pages. Today's features are available anywhere the Search tool is used across the store.

Narrow by Price and Special Offers

Search now supports setting a maximum price, and a filter to only see special offers. If you're looking for a game in your budget, or hoping to discover just the right thing during a sale, this control will help you find the games you want.

Include and Exclude by Tag

We've introduced new ways to leverage tags to find the games you'll love. Tags now show a preview of how many results will be returned, making it easier to see which are most relevant to your search. By popular demand, it's also possible to exclude tags from your search. If you're a fan of survival games, but not horror or zombies, you can now search to your exact taste.

Our 'sort by relevance' algorithm will also place heavier weight on tags you've requested, meaning you'll see more relevant results up front, making it easier to find compelling titles, independent of whether they're popular.

Hide Games You Already Know

We've heard from you that it can be frustrating to browse through search results that include a lot of games you already know about. Our new filters allow you to hide games that are ignored, wishlisted, or already in your library. These controls can be enabled or disabled without reloading your search, and their settings are preserved between searches.

Exclude VR-Only Games

Search is all about finding games that are relevant to you. If you don't own a VR headset, then seeing VR-only titles may not interest you. It's now possible to exclude these titles from your search, while still seeing VR-supported titles you can play without a headset.

Infinite Scroll

Rather than having to manually click through pages, we now automatically load more results when you scroll. Your search, and the position in it, will be remembered if you click on any result, and then return to the search page using your browser's back button.

For those who prefer the older paginated view, infinite scroll can be configured via your Store Preferences.

Find Games in Your Language

If you're using Search in a language other than English, then your language will be shown first in the language filter control, and that control will be moved to near the top of the search page.

Future Development
We've received a lot of amazing feedback during Search's time in Steam Labs, so this isn't the end of our Search improvements. If you would like to help us design and refine new features, head over to our Steam Labs page and try out the experiments that catch your interest. We'd love to hear from you!

Try the updated Search now!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Probably the least supriseing of any acquisitions, I fully expected this, actually, Im suprised it didn't happen sooner.

Sanzaru developed the highly acclaimed Asgard's Wrath, a Oculus/Facebook exclusive.

Reactions: Mor

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Pretty worried about coronavirus myself. Partially for my elderly parents, but also for myself. Don't want to spend a while in a hospital if I can afford it. The relatively high hospitalization rate has me spooked for sure.

Wish Asgard's Wrath would go on sale.

Can't remember if I posted about it here but I picked up Temtem not long after launch (GMG sale). It really worked for me, but it did get me in that Pokemon mood so I bought Pokemon Sword too. Actually enjoying both for what they are, surprisingly. Extra surprising because although I owned a bunch of Pokemon games since Pokemon Blue, which I really liked, I hadn't gotten into any Pokemon since Blue (and... well... Snap...)

Status
Not open for further replies.