Community MetaSteam | February 2023 - A 90's dystopian adventure in the digiworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
From Bethesda's Redfall FAQ

I've thought for a while that this game looked like a bit of a stinker, but I was trying to stay optimistic, since I usually like Arkane's games... But naw. Fuck this. I still can't believe people are tolerating this garbage for Hitman, but I hope nobody is willing to tolerate it for a game that looks as mid as Redfall.
Yup in case there was still any doubt as to whether the game is "meant" to be a co-op game or SP game with some co-op, this should put that to rest.

This is not an "arkane game" in the usual sense, so I wish people around the internet would stop saying it's arkane I trust them. I mean they also helped make wolfenstein youngblood after all.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I think I use this month to test the new GeForce Now 4080 service, with Returnal releasing and me still not having played Cyberpunk I am itching to put my new 42 LG OLED through its paces. I played pretty much exclusively on Steam Deck over these last few months, so I need some Graphical Showcases without spending two grand on a new GPU...

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
New thread energy!

All these sexy new Feb. games (well hello, KSP2), but I'm still disgustingly obsessed with Card Survival.

Send help!

Card Survival is one of the best hidden gems on the market right now. Certainly the best Survival game no one is playing these days.

It feels so fresh and the gameplay systems are staggeringly deep.

It reminds me a lot of Project Zomboid where you look at screenshots and go, "Huh, that kind of reminds me of the first Sims game." But then you dig a little deeper and start to realize that the number of gameplay systems running under the hood go deeper than most titles on the market today. Making it way crunchier than it initially appears.

CS looks deceptively simple on the surface. Explore various desert island biomes to uncover new cards. Combine those cards to craft gear & supplies. Then combine those cards to create living spaces, farm land, tame animals, etc. With each new card combination you peel back yet another layer of depth. The level of simulation is just insane.

I knew I was in for a ride when I learned that drinking too much coconut water would give you diarrhea, leading to severe dehydration and possible death. Or how choosing your skin color on character creation has an actual effect on sunburn tendency and thermal body regulation.

The discovery aspect is pretty wild too. Remember when Mincraft hit critical mass and there was this land rush to figure out new recipes to see just how far the simulation went? That's what Card Survival feels like. Where there are practical real-world solutions to problems if you just look at what you have on hand against what you need to do.

One example is how during the first few days getting fresh drinking water can be rough going. The above-mentioned coconut milk can hydrate you but you can only use it sparingly as your digestive-system's health is simulated. So on my 2nd day it starts raining and and thirst meters are running low. I can't drink any more coconut milk or I'll get sick. Then I look at my inventory and see that I've got all these discarded coconut shells. I interact with a shell and get a prompt to fill it with rainwater. Brilliant! I proceeded to line up the 7 other half-shells I had on hand to farm rainwater. Dehydration problem solved.

It's little reveals like this that make the game feel like a journey of discovery into uncharted territory. The game didn't tell me to line up my coconut shells on the beach to collect water. It just randomly occurred to me and when I tried it, it actually worked. Love it when emergent gameplay like this happens.

Another example (one that I read) to express how thoughtful the game design can be. There's a cave network system on the island. So when you explore them deeper it gets much colder. The player can start a standard campfire but the interesting part is the sudden change in temp causes natural condensation on the cave walls & ceiling that you can actually use to collect water! Damn man, that's some wild attention to detail.

Finally, I noticed the general game flow is super snappy. Being entirely card-based, there's this intuitive ease of use that makes island exploration, crafting & building flow in a quick & satisfying manner. It's quite a unique feel compared to traditional 1st/3rd-person genre presentations where the gameplay loop is more plodding mechanically by design.

There's a demo that lets you play the first 7 days, 'cause I know that price tag is scary when you look at the screenshots. Ironically not much different than how I blew off Project Zomboid for years based on the sceenshots.

As you can tell by my Ted Talk this game deserves to have more eyeballs on it. It's such a fresh experience!

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Holy shit, if the news just breaking is accurate, Embracer sold Tomb Raider (and ONLY Tomb Raider) to Amazon for twice what they paid S-E for the entirety of Eidos.

We like to joke about them but I'm starting to think that S-E are genuinely fucking stupid lmao.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
New thread energy!

All these sexy new Feb. games (well hello, KSP2), but I'm still disgustingly obsessed with Card Survival.

Send help!

Card Survival is one of the best hidden gems on the market right now. Certainly the best Survival game no one is playing these days.

It feels so fresh and the gameplay systems are staggeringly deep.

It reminds me a lot of Project Zomboid where you look at screenshots and go, "Huh, that kind of reminds me of the first Sims game." But then you dig a little deeper and start to realize that the number of gameplay systems running under the hood go deeper than most titles on the market today. Making it way crunchier than it initially appears.

CS looks deceptively simple on the surface. Explore various desert island biomes to uncover new cards. Combine those cards to craft gear & supplies. Then combine those cards to create living spaces, farm land, tame animals, etc. With each new card combination you peel back yet another layer of depth. The level of simulation is just insane.

I knew I was in for a ride when I learned that drinking too much coconut water would give you diarrhea, leading to severe dehydration and possible death. Or how choosing your skin color on character creation has an actual effect on sunburn tendency and thermal body regulation.

The discovery aspect is pretty wild too. Remember when Mincraft hit critical mass and there was this land rush to figure out new recipes to see just how far the simulation went? That's what Card Survival feels like. Where there are practical real-world solutions to problems if you just look at what you have on hand against what you need to do.

One example is how during the first few days getting fresh drinking water can be rough going. The above-mentioned coconut milk can hydrate you but you can only use it sparingly as your digestive-system's health is simulated. So on my 2nd day it starts raining and and thirst meters are running low. I can't drink any more coconut milk or I'll get sick. Then I look at my inventory and see that I've got all these discarded coconut shells. I interact with a shell and get a prompt to fill it with rainwater. Brilliant! I proceeded to line up the 7 other half-shells I had on hand to farm rainwater. Dehydration problem solved.

It's little reveals like this that make the game feel like a journey of discovery into uncharted territory. The game didn't tell me to line up my coconut shells on the beach to collect water. It just randomly occurred to me and when I tried it, it actually worked. Love it when emergent gameplay like this happens.

Another example (one that I read) to express how thoughtful the game design can be. There's a cave network system on the island. So when you explore them deeper it gets much colder. The player can start a standard campfire but the interesting part is the sudden change in temp causes natural condensation on the cave walls & ceiling that you can actually use to collect water! Damn man, that's some wild attention to detail.

Finally, I noticed the general game flow is super snappy. Being entirely card-based, there's this intuitive ease of use that makes island exploration, crafting & building flow in a quick & satisfying manner. It's quite a unique feel compared to traditional 1st/3rd-person genre presentations where the gameplay loop is more plodding mechanically by design.

There's a demo that lets you play the first 7 days, 'cause I know that price tag is scary when you look at the screenshots. Ironically not much different than how I blew off Project Zomboid for years based on the sceenshots.

As you can tell by my Ted Talk this game deserves to have more eyeballs on it. It's such a fresh experience!
looks interesting, do you have a lets play from someone who goes into it?

Reactions: ExistentialThought

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Holy shit, if the news just breaking is accurate, Embracer sold Tomb Raider (and ONLY Tomb Raider) to Amazon for twice what they paid S-E for the entirety of Eidos.

We like to joke about them but I'm starting to think that S-E are genuinely fucking stupid lmao.
Seeing some posts in the other forum saying that Embracer didn't sell the rights, but instead is leasing the rights to Amazon for 600m krona (near $60m), so Embracer remains the owner of the IP,

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

If true, it goes to show that at least sometimes, the idea that "the experts at these companies know what they are doing better than a bunch of armchair CEOs on the internet" just isn't the case. Basically everyone said that the price they sold those huge and still highly regarded franchises at was ludicrous.

This continues the long-held S-E tradition that, when they succeed, it's despite their top management, not because of it.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Yup in case there was still any doubt as to whether the game is "meant" to be a co-op game or SP game with some co-op, this should put that to rest.

This is not an "arkane game" in the usual sense, so I wish people around the internet would stop saying it's arkane I trust them. I mean they also helped make wolfenstein youngblood after all.
Sometimes it takes only one game for a developer to switch from "I'm buying all their games day one, theyre that good and trustworthy" to "I will wait" and Arkane/Wolfenstein Youngblood is one of those cases. Well....and Mooncrash...and Deathloop! They got me with Dishonored and Prey, and they lost me again with the aforementioned games. A shame too, when a developer loses focus of what made their games great.
(However, I know, artistic freedom and whatnot – but for me, personally, Arkane lost the plot a while ago, and everything surrounding Redfall would underline that)

we like to shit on Embracer, too, and theyre more clever than we give them credit
(also: if true; of course)

~

regarding game releases this month: just gonna see how Hogwarts Legacy turns out. Not a Harry Potter fan but the game looks interesting enough.

Edit: and Wanted Dead; thats on my wishlist too.

Reactions: Dandy and lashman

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
If true, it goes to show that at least sometimes, the idea that "the experts at these companies know what they are doing better than a bunch of armchair CEOs on the internet" just isn't the case. Basically everyone said that the price they sold those huge and still highly regarded franchises at was ludicrous.

This continues the long-held S-E tradition that, when they succeed, it's despite their top management, not because of it.
Yeah, even with the correction that ezodagrom posted, that was still an insanely low price for everything they sold to Embracer. All their western IPs were so badly mismanaged that literally any other company should be able to find more success with them.

Reactions: PC-tan and LEANIJA

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, if those reports are true, Embracer still makes 1/5th of what they paid for Eidos while still keeping the IP, while Amazon takes the risk of making Tomb Raider movies, tv shows and such. If these succeed, it may then result in more sales for future games.
Yeah, this (as speculated) might be an even better deal than outright selling it. At least if you look at what the Witcher and Edgerunners did for the value of their respective frachises.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I wouldn’t play much if it wasn’t for game pass. I haven’t bought anything on full price in a long long time.
I haven't bought anything full price since Elden Ring, I just buy things on sale. No need for game pass when sales fill up my library pretty fast. Like I bought over 20 games on the Steam winter sale.

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Sometimes it takes only one game for a developer to switch from "I'm buying all their games day one, theyre that good and trustworthy" to "I will wait" and Arkane/Wolfenstein Youngblood is one of those cases. Well....and Mooncrash...and Deathloop! They got me with Dishonored and Prey, and they lost me again with the aforementioned games. A shame too, when a developer loses focus of what made their games great.
(However, I know, artistic freedom and whatnot – but for me, personally, Arkane lost the plot a while ago, and everything surrounding Redfall would underline that)
And honestly that's the best way to look at games. No one should be given automatic purchase leeway regardless of their history it should be taken on a game by game basis.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I just installed several VN or general weeb games on my Deck, with uncensor patch. Then also installed FF7 The Reunion on the SD.
I think I'm good, but damn, the linux side of the deck is... moderate difficulty mode and the ff7 patch, on a sd, is me being adventurous.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020

the source for this is some random LOTR fansite, I'd take that with a huge chunk of salt until a more credible outlet reports it

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018

we like to shit on Embracer, too, and theyre more clever than we give them credit
(also: if true; of course)

~

regarding game releases this month: just gonna see how Hogwarts Legacy turns out. Not a Harry Potter fan but the game looks interesting enough.
Agree on both counts, I adore Prey as one of my favourite games of all time but their star has waned lately imo, and news of a Far Cry-like game doesn't interest me.

Also not a HP fan but Hogwarts Legacy does look pretty good.

Reactions: LEANIJA

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Shadow Warrior 3 getting a "Definitive Edition"

WATCH OUT! Because Shadow Warrior 3 is getting a major overhaul in form of
Shadow Warrior 3: Definitive Edition

Featuring pulse-pounding new features and performance enhancements, the Definitive Edition of Shadow Warrior 3 is a reinvigorated, ultraviolent blend of fast-paced gunplay, razor-sharp melee combat, and spectacular free-running movement through a mythical Japanese realm.

Alongside the previously added challenges, skins, hero mode, chapter selection, and many bugfixes, this creates the most complete SW3 experience to date with an extra kick added by the introduction of Horde Mode, available after finishing the main story,

Survival Mode is a completely new game mode consisting of 3 new battle arenas providing hours of new gameplay, while 3 new weapon skins will be up for grabs for those who can complete the challenge!

Launching for free to all owners of Shadow Warrior 3 on February 16!

Reactions: lashman

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Ty Mor ! I had no idea whatsoever that it was now February.

Had an oopsie quoting someone who had you name formatted properly because I can't be trusted to copy/paste/edit :/

Last edited:
  • Toucan
Reactions: Ge0force

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Looks like new Big Picture Mode is the default BPM experience as of today’s Steam update.
I don't know, feels like it should be in beta for a lot longer. Some basic stuff like uploading multiple screenshots at once or deleting unwanted ones are still as cumbersome as ever.

Also, it feels like the Steam Overlay compatibility with non-steam games is still a bit rough.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I refuse to believe this is going to be anything but a buggy mess witha 50's metacritic until it's released.
It looks to perfect. especally for being a aaa game from an unknown dev.
I want it to be the SovietShock it appears to be, but damn if I'm going to shell out for it day1. This is a hold until at least reviews come in.
I'm not above playing game with poor critical ratings, they just go way down the backlog

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
I refuse to believe this is going to be anything but a buggy mess witha 50's metacritic until it's released.
It looks to perfect. especally for being a aaa game from an unknown dev.
since it was first revealed, Atomic Heart has struck me as a bunch of "this would make for a really cool visual in the trailer" ideas and moments in search of a cohesive vision for an actual game, and the most recent round of previews didn't do much to rebut that impression. I'll give it a shot via Game Pass as long as it's not outright bad, but I can't say my expectations for it are particularly high.

Reactions: lashman

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
This screenshot of the terfgame is extremely hilarious to me

Every game needs to have this exact menu now

But they couldnt figure out any way to actually do equipment to characters that wear only shirts and pants.

So you now have handwear, facewear and neckwear

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.