Community MetaSteam | February 2023 - A 90's dystopian adventure in the digiworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Apr 17, 2019
Connecticut, USA
steamcommunity.com
Wait, what? I thought they'd already done this years ago when they added Steam achievements...
It was previously in this middle ground between GFWL and Steamworks so that saves could be transitioned over. The setup was weird though and it always wanted to install GFWL unless you blocked it. This cleans up all that and means you don't have to fiddle with stuff to get it running on the Steam Deck.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Would be interesting to see if that super resolution stuff could be done on offline content, how it compares to others like Topaz Gigapixel AI and such.

Reactions: fearthedawn

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
  • Toucan
Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

Lashley

One more thing...
According to the JP PS Blog it might take more than 6 months for the Steam release

SHOCKER

a year+ for egs, then another year+ for steam

fake surprise

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I wonder how this will impact historical research and documentary.
Passing off the processing to the end device and doing it live could be great for everything and certainly a convenience for what you personally decide to watch. A convenience for sure and maybe a way to save money if you can upscale account limited video output from Netflix and the like.

But upscaling been a thing for years and I'm not sure how much I've watched outside of the occasional upscaled video of life in a northern random town. Can it be used to upscale enough to uncover unseen details like text?

Although, it will be nice to see my super special adult entertainment video collection from the 90s in all its glory.

• Evil
Reactions: Cacher

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
According to the JP PS Blog it might take more than 6 months for the Steam release

Going by everything they keep showing and saying Steam people won't be missing out on anything anyway.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Spanish bar is the truth, embrace it. What a rush when driving the vehicle.

• This!
Reactions: Line

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Ah, the RTX Super Resolution increase GPU wattage used when enabled.
I got ~38 watts on firefox (disabled), while on Chrome:
quality level 1 ~80 watts,
level 2 ~100 watts
level 3 ~200 watts
level 4 ~300 watts

This is watching the same 1080p 60fps video on yt, on a 3080.

That's enough reason for me to turn it off really. I watched yt/twitch in the background most of the day. Although it did clean up twitch streams real well.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
Can it be used to upscale enough to uncover unseen details like text?
Uncovering unseen details is precisely what upscaling pretends to do, and here lies the rub for historical applications.

The problem is that any ML-based upscaler can introduce detail that's not there in the original, but that comes from the training data set.

Imagine a grainy photo of the inside of a 15th century home. It is grainy and the floor is at an angle, so you have to use your imagination for the details of the wooden flooring.

Now upscale, and the flooring type becomes clean and crisp... but it's a 17th century style flooring.

Why? Because the upscaler was trained with a dataset that contained images of 17th century style flooring, and it fit. It doesn't know not to use it for that particular image.

ML-based upscaling is therefore a dangerous tool to mix with historical research: it can lie to you very convincingly, by combining bits of disparate stuff. (Just like human memories)

(That might have been what Cacher meant when referring to the "impact [on] historical research and documentary"?)

Reactions: lashman and LEANIJA

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
FF16 graphics look insane but I can tell that this is not my type of game. I generally don't like games with extremely flashy combat. Tons of particles and VFX on screen. Way too busy.
Uncovering unseen details is precisely what upscaling pretends to do, and here lies the rub for historical applications.

The problem is that any ML-based upscaler can introduce detail that's not there in the original, but that comes from the training data set.

Imagine a grainy photo of the inside of a 15th century home. It is grainy and the floor is at an angle, so you have to use your imagination for the details of the wooden flooring.

Now upscale, and the flooring type becomes clean and crisp... but it's a 17th century style flooring.

Why? Because the upscaler was trained with a dataset that contained images of 17th century style flooring, and it fit. It doesn't know not to use it for that particular image.

ML-based upscaling is therefore a dangerous tool to mix with historical research: it can lie to you very convincingly, by combining bits of disparate stuff. (Just like human memories)

(That might have been what Cacher meant when referring to the "impact [on] historical research and documentary"?)
I honestly know nothing about this kind of stuff. It was just a quick thought from me when I saw the tweet. Thanks for the explanation!

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019

IO Interactive is working on an online fantasy RPG! The online part gets a side eye from me, but more RPGs is a good thing.
Because of course it's online. IOI can't help themselves.

-

I don't know if I'm influenced by the vibe here but yep, I took a peek at the new FF16 video drop and it's... nothing.
It still has the dubious UI when playing invocations, the mobs are a little spongey, no team, rotten QTE up the wazoo (rolled my eyes so hard when they opened a gate God of War PS1 style...).
It could still be good, but it's worrying. I agree with Derrick, a glimpse at the world and how the game plays out of fucking combat would do a lot of good.

I don't understand how the man behind XIV is giving us this. No idea.

Reactions: Cacher

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Epic didn't pay for a bunch of their mid releases, they will for final fantasy
I mean, if there is one exclusive they logically would aim for, it's FF.

About those POS (Square and EGS) :
18 march 2022, Stranger of Paradise.
I'm waiting.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I think the PC version of XVI will release simultaneously on Steam and EGS. :shrugblob:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I expected that would happen pretty fast but maybe not this fast. :toucan:

Hopefully next step is for someone to figure out a way for it to work as an offline workflow/program/app from which you can render a super res video out into a file instead of the "live" way it's done now.
Will be interesting to compare the results too.

• Toucan
Reactions: ExistentialThought

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
What's up with these shit prices Prime Matter does. Scars Above looks good, but still looks like Returnals weird, janky little brother that got lost in the mall, yet they price the game very high, not Returnal high, but still high.

Same thing with Gungrave Gore, a janky as hell game with deep flaws (even though I really liked what I played of it on gam pass), but same thing, a high price.

I played both Scars Above (demo) and Gungrave Gore (game pass) and would buy them in a heartbeat, but not at those prices.

• This!
Reactions: MegaApple

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018

I'm taking this as a low-key confirmation that we're right and S-E are just fumbling everything behind the scenes lol. Like, imagine having a 6 month exclusivity period on the latest title in your flagship fucking franchise and somehow managing to not have the ports ready to launch the second the exclusivity window closes. :huhblob:

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021

for some reason I thought Cyberpunk was already Verified on Deck?
Games with their own launcher should not be marked as verified. When I played it on Deck, sometimes the gamepad would not work in the launcher and I had to use the touch screen.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm at my wit's end and at the same time in full sunk cost fallacy effect on Ys 8.
Trash fire of a game. It also doesn't want to end.

How they massacred the combat is beyond me.

• Disapproval
Reactions: Jav and Durante

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

:negative-blob:

• Sad
Reactions: Li Kao
Status
Not open for further replies.