Community MetaSteam | February 2024 - Let's bring democracy into the zone with love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018

It will be a sad day when Gabe retires as Valve is such a unique company in the gaming space. I don't have much confidence that whoever succeeds him won't mess everything up or sell to the highest bidder.
Probably because the head of arrowhead himself said it was somewhere around 50/50, even leaning closer to 60/40 in favor of PS5 the other day lol.
No, it was because of platform warriors. He made a followup tweet explaining it.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I'm sure certain devs get them for free from console companies and not every dev out there has gotten a free Deck or anything, that'd probably total all Decks.

Mat's post sucked and he's being a big baby blocking folks, deleting it over backlash attributing it all to Sony bots yet now doubling down in petty ways, hardly a serious professional on display here. I thought his numbers were iffy on the side of Steam and how it compares to PS5 in multiple ways and the main point itself insignificant in the grand scheme of things even if it was remotely true at the specific point in time discussed in it. I don't think that in general you need 1 in 4 US Steam accounts or anywhere close to that to have a significantly higher success than on PS5 (which likely doesn't even have anywhere near the same totals at all to just compare its percentage of currently active players) but maybe at some point it was true the game was played by 1 in 4 currently active players which may or may not mean shit for actual sales numbers in any one region. It was just a big load of nothing really.

I don't trust market research type end results without knowing sample sizes and methodology and what not, it's dumb platform warring stuff to use like that and he was being a child in the comments, if he thought some folks were being dumb about it there was no reason to engage with them in equally dumb ways.

Get sales numbers and hard totals, w of x in y in z doesn't say shit.

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I'm sure certain devs get them for free from console companies and not every dev out there has gotten a free Deck or anything, that'd probably total all Decks.
someone responded "well thats not true" to that tweet, but didnt eloborate further

It will be a sad day when Gabe retires as Valve is such a unique company in the gaming space. I don't have much confidence that whoever succeeds him won't mess everything up or sell to the highest bidder.
Valve has such a good track record of "doing the right thing" for the past 25+ years (I know, I know, they're not perfect, but nobody is), I hope that Gabe has enough foresight to now make sure he will have successors that will carry on with the Valve philosophy. Especially since he's not getting any younger. But given that he isnt running Valve alone, there are clearly people in that company who share that same philosophy and can carry on with it once he's gone or retired.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
someone responded "well thats not true" to that tweet, but didnt eloborate further
I'd say the basic point of the original tweet is true.
You might be able to get a free loan of a dev kit from a console manufacturer, but that comes with more requirements and constraints than getting a Steam Deck dev kit or two, and it's also a loan rather than just "here take it". And of course the Deck you got was a fully functional unit, because every Deck is a "devkit" and every "devkit" is just a Deck.

One point that isn't really true is the cost when it comes to Switch devkits. You can google it, and it's not "thousands".

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Just finished FF9 for the first time ever and it's impressive how it manages to dive off a cliff in such a spectacular manner after the coronation after being very enjoyable in the first half. Still better than FF7 though.

6 > 8 >>>> 9 >> 7 > 4

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Lol, Microsoft's AI thing sure is dumb. I've been trying to get it to understand that the dragon it should make for me shouldn't have 4 legs and it keeps saying OK I'll do it right this time then doing it like this again lmao. Anyway I don't care just thought I'd try this thing in browser since it didn't require phone numbers and shit like those other things. I just clicked this Ask Copilot icon thing in the Windows 11 Search shortcut thing to see what it even is. One time it got 1 of 4 right and I said great but 3 images are wrong do it like the top right one that is correct, and it gave me 4 images with 4 legs in all of them again lol.

I also asked it to write a children's tale about a big talking cat and a small mute mouse and it gave me a story about the cat Tom and mouse Jerry chasing each other as the cat wants to eat Jerry and Jerry wants to steal cheese and shit. No plagiarism here, just AI doing its thing.

Reactions: lashman
Dec 5, 2018
In the holiday gift-giving period of December 20th to December 31st, 2023, players redeemed more than $80 million in physical wallet cards.
That's like a quarter of the EGS third party spending in just 11 days (in just one payment method).
Specifically, 2023 was the first year in Steam’s history where more than 500 games earned more than $3 million in gross revenue—in that calendar year alone.
I guess, this is the closest to any number that we'll get, it's just a floor, tho.

• Sad
  • Eyes
Reactions: PhaZZe and lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
No numbers, lame...
At this point I get the feeling MAUs are growing at a slower pace than EGS which may be a bad look. Valve says overall revenue is still growing so I'm sure there is platform growth, but it has probably slowed down alongside the rest of the industry. Also CCUs so far this year only show a bit of YOY growth compared to '23.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I'd say the basic point of the original tweet is true.
You might be able to get a free loan of a dev kit from a console manufacturer, but that comes with more requirements and constraints than getting a Steam Deck dev kit or two, and it's also a loan rather than just "here take it". And of course the Deck you got was a fully functional unit, because every Deck is a "devkit" and every "devkit" is just a Deck.

One point that isn't really true is the cost when it comes to Switch devkits. You can google it, and it's not "thousands".
Milions?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Been watching some Skull & Bones gameplay.

And yea its very bland and undercooked. Just looks boring tbh.

Don't know why anyone would play it when Sea of Thieves exists. And if you are a big Ubi fan just go back n play Black Flag and/or Rogue for the singleplayer pirate goodness instead of wtvr this is trying to be.

Also there is not much AAAA about the game. Gaming execs need to stfu about how big and full of content there games are so they can justify a stupid price.

The only games I played in the past 6 (or so) years that I would definitively consider AAAA are RDR2 and Cyberpunk.

BG3, Elden Ring, Death Stranding, Starfield and FF7R come pretty close as well but not quite there. At least not until more content comes out for some of them. Elden Ring will definitely be once the expansion comes out.

Reactions: lashman

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Been watching some Skull & Bones gameplay.

And yea its very bland and undercooked. Just looks boring tbh.

Don't know why anyone would play it when Sea of Thieves exists. And if you are a big Ubi fan just go back n play Black Flag and/or Rogue for the singleplayer pirate goodness instead of wtvr this is trying to be.

Also there is not much AAAA about the game. Gaming execs need to stfu about how big and full of content there games are so they can justify a stupid price.

The only games I played in the past 6 (or so) years that I would definitively consider AAAA are RDR2 and Cyberpunk.

BG3, Elden Ring, Death Stranding, Starfield and FF7R come pretty close as well but not quite there. At least not until more content comes out for some of them. Elden Ring will definitely be once the expansion comes out.
I imagine they just need it out before the end of the march/march financial year for tax purposes. In a few months most of the devs will be unemployed.

Mana

Indie & JRPG
Nov 25, 2022
Norway

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Lol, Microsoft's AI thing sure is dumb. I've been trying to get it to understand that the dragon it should make for me shouldn't have 4 legs and it keeps saying OK I'll do it right this time then doing it like this again lmao. Anyway I don't care just thought I'd try this thing in browser since it didn't require phone numbers and shit like those other things. I just clicked this Ask Copilot icon thing in the Windows 11 Search shortcut thing to see what it even is. One time it got 1 of 4 right and I said great but 3 images are wrong do it like the top right one that is correct, and it gave me 4 images with 4 legs in all of them again lol.

I also asked it to write a children's tale about a big talking cat and a small mute mouse and it gave me a story about the cat Tom and mouse Jerry chasing each other as the cat wants to eat Jerry and Jerry wants to steal cheese and shit. No plagiarism here, just AI doing its thing.
These are super dumb systems that just try find the best match given their training sets. There's nothing intelligent about neural network based ML systems. It's not even plagiarism, as that implies these things could be truly creative. Mashing up its datasets to produce similar outputs to inputs it's been trained is the entire point. Except that the systems also can't actually reason and process your exact questions. They don't understand language, or logic, or anything.

it producing the same dragon every time is normal. that's how most "dragons" in its input data set look like. You might want to use words like "wyvern" as those are usually not depicted with separate arms

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Well, that’s Persona 3 Reload finished.

Big sigh. I hate it when a game I love comes to an end.
I am watching a lets play and I may be biased or just plain crazy, BUT
it looks "shinier" than Persona 5, especially the Persona summons and the all-out attacks. The colors are just so more... bombastic, while Persona 5 feels plastic.

Also, I do get the complaint that there is less to do than P4 or P5, but I have said it here very often: The best experience I had with a Persona game was, when I was just "living" day to day, immersed in the setting, without scrambling to look up a perfect guide to even have the chance to see everything in the game. You can 100% the social links in P3 while being inefficient or just do what you want. No min-maxing the exact date when it is best to do a dungeon, not sitting hours in a dungeon because you NEED to finish it that day or your whole run is over.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
According to a SEGA/Atlus leaker, there's both JSR and Crazy Taxi priced remakes and free to play live service reboots in the works (the live service ones being part of the "super games" project).
The free to play reboots seem like they're being developed by the SEGA Sapporo studio (which includes the PSO2 NGS team, so my expectations for these are rock bottom).
The remakes are supposedly coming out before the live service games.

She posted stuff accross multiple tweets, including replies to other users, leaving just the initial tweet here:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Just finished FF9 for the first time ever and it's impressive how it manages to dive off a cliff in such a spectacular manner after the coronation after being very enjoyable in the first half. Still better than FF7 though.

6 > 8 >>>> 9 >> 7 > 4
You are a good man with good tastes :pleasedblob:

• Hug
Reactions: kio

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Also, I do get the complaint that there is less to do than P4 or P5, but I have said it here very often: The best experience I had with a Persona game was, when I was just "living" day to day, immersed in the setting, without scrambling to look up a perfect guide to even have the chance to see everything in the game. You can 100% the social links in P3 while being inefficient or just do what you want. No min-maxing the exact date when it is best to do a dungeon, not sitting hours in a dungeon because you NEED to finish it that day or your whole run is over.
The only min-maxing I did in P3R was getting my academics stat higher so I could unlock the Mitsuru S Link.

The rest of my run was vibes-based, and I had a blast.

• Hug
  • Gib
Reactions: Li Kao and Kyougar

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
Jesus, is the 10K/Blue bracket turning out to be ELO Hell in Counter Strike 2 for anyone else?

Way too many fucking teams where one of our players is a Gimmick, Griefer, or Boosted, or a Boosted Gimmick Griefer.

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
So I'm going deep into the warhammer 40k anime hole and was wondering what's the best game to start off with - never really played any of them.

Reactions: Stevey

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I bought Helldivers 2 on PC after being coerced by a buddy and I simply have to accept the fact my PC can't keep up any more. I'm really trying to hold off buying a new system until the 5000 series cards come out. I'll probably splurge as I was going to get a new system in 2020 before COVID screwed everything up. I've waited this long, what's another 9-11 more months?

Both games in todays spotlight should be out in an hour

Super excited to play Balatro. The demo was top notch and it has a great score on OpenCritic.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
So I'm going deep into the warhammer 40k anime hole and was wondering what's the best game to start off with - never really played any of them.
That Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate Daemonhunters XCOM alike was pretty good.

Space Marine is pretty decent if you I want that classic marines v orks stuff. Boltgun is good but some aren't into the boomer shooter thing.

• This!
Reactions: Joe Spangle

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
So, Nintendo Partners Direct tomorrow morning. Hopefully this time the SMTV rumors pan out and we get a multiplatform announcement immediately after. We're finally getting Atlus games on PC day and date, I'm getting sick of waiting for this one lol.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I can't wait until the next Palworld 2 gets announced here and then people will just say "wow this game came out of nowhere".

Sad stuff really.

Maybe it's only because a lot of these games only get a PC version announced initially before adding a console version years later?
--------

I can't believe no one's made a game like this before (??). I feel like everyone's had the "what if I was in medieval times with modern weapons" fantasy at some point in their lives.

Anyway I wishlisted it. Probably won't be the deepest game around but it should be dumb fun.
It's not a game and I haven't really watched it or read it but there is this.

I'm told the story is actually not that good

Here is the summary: In modern-day Ginza, Tokyo, a portal from another world suddenly appears and a legion of Roman-styled medieval soldiers and monsters emerge to attack the city. Using modern weaponry and tactics, the Japan Self-Defense Forces easily repels the enemy and passes through the Gate to establish a forward operating base and initiate peace negotiations with the Empire of the other world. However, Japan's exclusive access to the Gate is envied by the other nations of the world, who wish to exploit the Tokuchi (特地, "Special Region", Japan's designation for the other world) for their own purposes. Also, the JSDF's activities are closely monitored by their government, which hesitates to involve itself any further into the Special Region's affairs out of fear of public disapproval.

Yōji Itami is a reserve JSDF officer sent to investigate the other world, where magic, dragons and elves are real, using his knowledge of fantasy stories to make his way in this new environment.[5] While exploring the Special Region, he ends up selflessly aiding its people—including Imperial Princess Piña Co Lada—against an ancient dragon and a band of marauders, thus paving the way for negotiations and saddling himself with a group of local girls who have developed feelings for him. However, when he humiliates Imperial Crown Prince Zorzal in order to rescue a Japanese prisoner from his clutches, the latter decides to make Japan pay in blood, seizing power as a dictator and preparing for an all-out war. Thus the JSDF is eventually forced to engage in aggressive combat action to maintain the status quo and bring negotiations with Zorzal's father, Molt Sol Augustus, to a peaceful conclusion.

Following the JSDF's liberation of Princess Piña, the Emperor and the anti-war senators from the Imperial capital, Zorzal goes into hiding and engages in a guerilla war, having his men, wearing imitation camouflage uniforms, and monsters commit terror acts against the civilian population in order to discredit the Japanese and draw them out; but the JSDF's allies and sympathizers rally to their side to defeat the rogue prince. However, as the goddess Hardy relates to Itami, the Gate itself poses another serious problem. Initially opened by Hardy, but enlarged and stabilized by the Empire's magicians, it begins to cause a series of cataclysmic disruptions as the Special Region and Earth begin to drift away from this mutual anchor point. Thus, the Japanese must struggle to both end the civil war and close the Gate in time before both worlds rip each other to pieces

I kinda feel like reading it/watching it since I'm curious about the US. I think Hideaki Anno and Kojima are two of the few people in Japan that do a good job of having a realistic US in their work. With Anno the US is very secretive and blows itself up and also knows what's happening all over the world and if it's faced with an issue will use nukes to solve said issue. That's from Evangelion and Shin Godzilla. By the way technically the USAF being involved in Shin Kamen Rider was wild to me.

PS Japan actually used GATE as a means to get people to join the JSDF after the series got an anime. Wild stuff. I guess there is some realism to that image that I have seen with Army Recruiters in the US using Evangelion to get people to join.

A lot of people here are from EU, Asia and some from Latin American as well (is there anyone from Africa here? I thought there was one person). But the US military recruitment process is just WILD and I'm pretty sure would be illegal in other parts of the world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.