Community MetaSteam | February 2024 - Let's bring democracy into the zone with love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Balatro is awesome. I've only played ~9 hours but there does feel like a lot of gameplay diversity. I just had a run where I was able to stack multipliers for the Single Card hand, which is usually the worst hand in the game, where I got tens of thousands of points and centered my build around it.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
I am seriously overwhelmed by all these new releases lately. Even if we ignore some stellar western games like Helldivers 2, Banishers, Pacific Drive or Balatro, who the hell has time for all those JRPGs? To make things worse, Atlus even came out and said SMTVV will take 160 hours to complete both routes. Jesus Christ.
even skipping like half of them for various reasons it's still crazy

i'm interested in Unicorn Overlord but I don't even want to play the demo because i'm still playing Infinite Wealth and between that and Last Epoch really don't want to pick up a new game in March before SaGa and Eiyuden come out in April

• Sweating
Reactions: Cacher

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Of course it will. From what I can see the biggest issue is that you can get either decent IQ or decent FPS. On PC (a sufficiently fast PC) you'll have both (in fact, better IQ than the console IQ option and better FPS than the console FPS option).

And it was just the same for part 1. I ran that at a 4k internal rendering resolution, at 100+ FPS. Of course, as I said earlier the graphics options and scalability were disappointing (and frankly inexcusable for a game with even remotely such a budget), but even the basic UE scalability features made it both look and run substantially better than on console.
It seems like the quality mode of rebirth runs at native 4k too so assuming they just do a near 1:1 port of the game again what advantage is there going to be on PC in terms of image quality? It's going to bring over all the weird textures, the same lighting and post processing, the same static semi-low res foliage that doesn't move. Sure there's modding potential but we were talking about if it was a day 1 game.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It seems like the quality mode of rebirth runs at native 4k tooso assuming they just do a near 1:1 port of the game again what advantage is there going to be on PC in terms of image quality? It's going to bring over all the weird textures, the same lighting and post processing, the same static semi-low res foliage that doesn't move. Sure there's modding potential but we were talking about if it was a day 1 game.
Not according to DF:

According to this initial graphics review, the Graphics mode hovers between close to 4K down to 1440p output. They suspect there is some post-processing going on at lower res at times. A consistent 4K on PC would thus be an improvement in IQ.
Another big thing that DF mentions is the bad shadow quality. As this is an Unreal Engine 4 title, it would be fairly easy with a PC port to manually change the shadowmap settings via .ini files, even if the game most likely does not expose such features.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
As it stands, I feel that Nier 1 is clearly the lesser game compared to Automata. Of course that's an unfair comparison, Automata was developed by Platinum and is arguably one of their best games.

Be warned you are going to read me grasping at straws that do not exist.

I will not stand for such blasphemy. Joking asides. It really depends. Is Nier 1 lesser of a game compared to Nier 2? Nier 2 definitely does improve stuff. Just look at the history of Platinum and their games. You could say they make fun games but their games also have weaknesses. Look at Bayonetta and Vanquish as an example. They are fun, but do you hear people praise the story? Those games do have some good music but is it all amazing music? Astral Chain did seem like a better attempt at something? Despite owning a copy I haven't really gotten around to playing it. But do you hear a lot of people praise that game over all of their others because of the story, gameplay,and music? With MGR didn't Konami and some people from KojiPro (minus Kojima himself) involved with the game, so it was not entirely a Platinum game by itself?

Now with Nier 1 you had a good story and good music but the gameplay just was not anything that great, heck it wasn't until Nier R √2 that I realized that you can actually party in the game. Throwing bombs at this one robot in the original game was very combersome, in another game it would have been an easy fight but because of the controls for the game it sucked and was frustrating. Now combine the two for Nier 2 and you have a game with good story,fun gameplay, and great music.

By the way I didn't realize that Nier Replicant √2 actually added new stuff to connect with Nier Automata. They were showing clips during the Nier Concert and I didn't remember seeing those clips in the original Nier, so I just assume that's added stuff? Maybe even some retconned stuff?

Is Nier 1 lesser of a game? Well no since even the composer himself and others have said Nier 1 has a unique sound to it, when working on Nier 2 he wanted the music to sound different.....and the end result is that the music still sounded like it was from Nier 1 even though he was trying to avoid that.

People still like to talk about Nier 2 quotes and all that stuff and they are not that bad of quotes and stuff but at the same time some of them are not that far from the truth (they just seem like simple stuff that is made to sound very deep).

"Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle… and wonder if we’ll ever get the chance to kill him."

Meanwhile you have other stuff like the circle of life song from the lion king

"
From the day we arrive on the planet
And, blinking, step into the sun
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found
But the sun rolling high
Through the sapphire sky
Keeps great and small on the endless round
It's the circle of life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
'Til we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the circle
The circle of life"

I watched the remake movie a few years ago and I did actually cry a bit after listening to the lyrics a bit more since it's true that there is so much in life that no single individual, be they human, animal, etc that they realistically will never be able to do everything in their life time and even once they are gone life will simply just keep on going without them.

Also don't "perfect organism exist" they are not that impressive visually but those dude may as well practically be immortal. And in which case.

I remember in the Pinocchio movie that yeah you can live forever and technically die and comeback again thing, but if you do that you can't really appreciate life if you know that it will never end. We only really appreciate things when we know that they will be gone at some point and once they are gone we get hit with a bag of bricks,but only because they will never be back again. The same might not be true if nothing ever ended, it would just be mundane and very average.

The more that I think about Nier 1 and 2, aren't they basically just a bunch of rebellious young adults that are saying screw you mom and dad, I won't listen to you and even though it will ultimately screw over everyone else I want to solely think of myself over everyone else (and even though that thing is helping some one else).

Also there is the whole Spy Kids 2 quote of "Do you think God lives in Heaven because He, too, lives in fear of what He's created here on Earth?" I mean maybe it's fear or he creates some imperfect and just refuses to acknowledge that he made a mistake and that in turn would be considered a "curse" in Nier (not so much a punishment) since the creator refuses to acknowledge the mistake he's made and would rather just forget it exist. Maybe this ties back to those stories of where some dude knocks up some maid or something and then refuses to acknowledge the child only for the child to seek out revenge and kill the father.

That being said the best quote from Nier is still Nier 1 with Kaines monologue.

The video does contain spoilers but you can still listen to the audio.

I'm ready for my ban now. I have broken the golden rule of making fun of Nier Automata.
"Cause I'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby
Yeah, I'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby
Listen to Iron Maiden, baby, with me, ooh"

By the way I'm guessing I have to watch all of OG Evangelion in order to watch the End of Evangelion? If so that does suck since they are going to be playing it in theaters next month.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and Mivey

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
PC-tan don't think I can follow even half of your post, but I enjoy reading your ramblings nonetheless.
Also just to be clear, I still enjoyed my time with Nier 1, I wouldn't be playing it multiple times to see the endings if I did not. Just so far it's not hitting as hard as Nier Automata did. Will come back to this once I am done with all endings

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/prestige-collection-build-your-own-bundle

Tempted by this bundle for River City Girls 2, though I don't know what would be my second game. I recently played the first one and it was neat.

By the way I'm guessing I have to watch all of OG Evangelion in order to watch the End of Evangelion? If so that does suck since they are going to be playing it in theaters next month.
Very much so. It is the epilogue to the TV series. So yeah, if you just watch that alone it will be weird as fuck. The characters are not reintroduced or anything like that. I imagine watching EoE for the first time in a movie theater after having watched the TV show would be magical, so have fun.

Reactions: lashman

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Announced Irem collection vol. 2
the first one missed PC release too :(.

Related with this, puzzles me hamster don't release Arcade Archives games on Steam, just few Neo Geo roms were released on PC. I know it's very easy to emulate those roms on PC but UI launcher for hamster Arcade Archives games is pretty cool.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I played a bit of Unicorn Overlord and I do think it's cool what I have seen so far. It is a strategy game but I am surprised with how much depth there is in this game considering how a lot of Vanillaware games are mainly beat em ups with 13 Sentinel also having part of the game be a strategy game.

Very brave of them to make it an auto battler.

Also since I have PS+ Premium (I have now cancelled my Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, since it cost too much and I hardly ever use it) I tried to play Ridge Races Type 4 via streaming. The game does have some cool songs that being said. I can see why people would like the game since it does have a style to it that at least Gran Turismo 1 didn't have. I also feel like it didn't age very well gameplay wise. But I do find the idea behind it cool. I should have started maybe with the bigger game mode, but instead I choose to start with the expert mode. I got to help that American team that's about to be disbanded. That's more of an underdog story compared to the other options.

Maybe I'm just to use to doing some crazy turns in other games.

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/prestige-collection-build-your-own-bundle

Tempted by this bundle for River City Girls 2, though I don't know what would be my second game. I recently played the first one and it was neat.

If you liked Doom Eternal, then I'd really recommend Deadlink from that selection. There's a bit of permaprogression nonsense there (want more options in shops? Play for a while to unlock it. Want to upgrade your implants and then upgrade them to the highest level? Well, that's two unlocks actually. Thankfully, you get really annoying stuff out of the way in roughly 5 hours) but if you can ignore it, you get a lovely fast-paced FPS with all that cooldown juggling, good amount of challenge and four distinct gameplay styles for each class.

If it wasn't for Trails to Azure officially releasing in English, it would've been my GOTY '23 (and technically it should've been since I played Azure like 3 years ago anyway).

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
according to Wiki, Arkham Asylum began development in May 2007 - that means that, Including the cancelled multiplayer project that reportedly preceded it, Suicide Squad: KtJL took longer to make than the entire Arkham trilogy took from the start of development on Asylum to the release of Arkham Knight. even with the escalation of budgets and dev cycles since the PS3/360 era, that’s fucking absurd. In another timeline, Rocksteady probably could have made and released two AAA single-player games, or at least been close to releasing a second, in the time it took them to make this GaaS boondoggle

• This!
  • Eyes
Reactions: Stevey and lashman

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
There's now a non zero chance i can build a Karl Marx deck in Magic the Gathering

Godddddd, between this, Persona3 and Battlefront 2 Remastered, it feels like its the early 2000's again.

Yes.

It's only 26 Episodes, you can do it!

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Gotten Ending D now from Nier, and overall the last two endings were not super impressive. I'd say Ending C is the most "complete" and the one that makes the most sense, D just feels kinda silly. I guess the gimmick (won't mention it here to avoid spoilers) is fun, but that just got a chuckle out of me, little more. Overall, the first Nier just doesn't quite capture the same fascination I had with Automata, honestly. I think part of that is the music, Automata had so many bangers, and it feels Nier 1 just keeps playing the same 5 tunes over and over again. Another part is how the party is just too nice. I loved the tension that 2S and 2B had going for each other. The writing felt snappier and the setting overall stranger. The pacing in Nier 1 is also just a bit too chill for my liking.

I know about the thing they added for √ 1.5 and will start that path tomorrow.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Godddddd, between this, Persona3 and Battlefront 2 Remastered, it feels like its the early 2000's again.
I'm so grateful for that :_)

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Gotten Ending D now from Nier, and overall the last two endings were not super impressive. I'd say Ending C is the most "complete" and the one that makes the most sense, D just feels kinda silly. I guess the gimmick (won't mention it here to avoid spoilers) is fun, but that just got a chuckle out of me, little more. Overall, the first Nier just doesn't quite capture the same fascination I had with Automata, honestly. I think part of that is the music, Automata had so many bangers, and it feels Nier 1 just keeps playing the same 5 tunes over and over again. Another part is how the party is just too nice. I loved the tension that 2S and 2B had going for each other. The writing felt snappier and the setting overall stranger. The pacing in Nier 1 is also just a bit too chill for my liking.

I know about the thing they added for √ 1.5 and will start that path tomorrow.
I have to say, the big bolded part is true, and the big failing of the Remaster.

In the original, the songs are all incredibly diverse and unique, and due to the new live orchestration they did for the remaster OST, the songs all started to sound vastly more samy.

They've already got Fortnite, Dr Who, Warhammer 40k, and Fallout cards. Karl Marx will fit right in.
Fortnite
My Little Pony
Godzilla
Warhammer 40K
Warhammer Fantasy
Warhammer Bloodbowl
Stranger Things
Princess Bride
Walking Dead
Lord of the Rings
Marvel
Final Fantasy
League of Legends
Assassins Creed
Transformers
Street Fighter
Evil Dead
Creepshow
Dungeons and Dragons
Baldurs Gate
Doctor Who
Fallout
Jurassic Park
Tomb Raider
Cluedo
Dracula

I fully agree

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
according to Wiki, Arkham Asylum began development in May 2007 - that means that, Including the cancelled multiplayer project that reportedly preceded it, Suicide Squad: KtJL took longer to make than the entire Arkham trilogy took from the start of development on Asylum to the release of Arkham Knight. even with the escalation of budgets and dev cycles since the PS3/360 era, that’s fucking absurd. In another timeline, Rocksteady probably could have made and released two AAA single-player games, or at least been close to releasing a second, in the time it took them to make this GaaS boondoggle
We’re seeing diminishing returns in graphics in AAA games. The only thing not diminishing is the time taken to achieve those diminishing returns - that’s increasing exponentially.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
So what Hektor is saying is that in the west Nier Gestalt is better than Nier Replicant. Yes finally done vindication ...... Even though it's because of the OST changes, I will take this victory.

Okay, I have the Ultimate collector edition which has all of the OG series still sealed. I guess it's finally time to open it up. Or I could just keep it sealed and watch the series on Netflix or something.

Thanks for the advice

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
If you have a Steam Deck then you have less of a reason, to get a PS Portal. I have an LCD Deck, but I would imagine that even if the game doesn't support HDR it will look amazing on the OLED Deck.

I was able to play Unicorn Overlord on my Steam Deck via Chiaki. This potentially may be the main way that I play the game. But I still need to try it on Switch and find out if the game will run on Yuzu on Steam Deck or something.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I was going to ask if anyone was interested in a code for a Dark Vertex skin for fortnite and 500 vbucks (I got it with a limited edition purple xbox controller)... I was willing to give it away for free... but then I went on ebay and saw that people are trying to sell those for 3k and even 12k USD...

What the hell? There's just no way... Is there a proper way to check how much people would actually be willing to pay for this?

Edit: oh, 12k is for the whole set: outfit, the pickaxe, etc. My code is just for the outfit and 500vbucks.

Edit2: ancillary question: is there a way to check if a code is still valid without redeeming it? I'm downloading the EGS launcher to check my fortnite account to see if I was stupid enough to redeem the skin... but I also wouldn't be surprised if I'd already given it away for free, years ago.

Edit3: okay, If you go to microsoft.com/redeem, if you type the code and then click "next"; it shows you what it is and asks you to confirm if you want to redeem to your account (which I didn't, obviously). So it's still valid!

Now... how much should I sell it for on eBay? Also, what should I put in my sale description so that I don't get scammed... I don't want someone to buy the code, redeem it and then write back that the code was invalid.
So...
1) what sort of disclaimer should I add to the listing to protect myself from internet thuggery...
2) how can I get some proof that the code is still valid (both to convice the seller that I'm legit, and to protect myself from fraudulent claims).

Edit4: okay, by using advanced search to only look at sold items on eBay, I saw that a couple went for 650, 660, 850 and 5000$... The only difference between the one at 5k and the other three, is that the 5k one is region free. Mine should be too (I don't see anything that states that it's region locked).

Last edited:
  • Blobxorcism
Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
If you have a Steam Deck then you have less of a reason, to get a PS Portal. I have an LCD Deck, but I would imagine that even if the game doesn't support HDR it will look amazing on the OLED Deck.

I was able to play Unicorn Overlord on my Steam Deck via Chiaki. This potentially may be the main way that I play the game. But I still need to try it on Switch and find out if the game will run on Yuzu on Steam Deck or something.
Chiaki is fucking excellent, I played through the entirety of Spider-Man 2 that way.

Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Observation: Playstack published Baltro (their best selling game so far) is only on Steam, they even had an Epic exclusive many years ago with Mortal Shell.

Tribands What the Car is Steam only as of now, their previous game What the Golf was Epic exclusive (well, they also made the VR game What the Bat, but Epic doesn't have VR only game).

Reactions: QFNS

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Observation: Playstack published Baltro (their best selling game so far) is only on Steam, they even had an Epic exclusive many years ago with Mortal Shell.

Tribands What the Car is Steam only as of now, their previous game What the Golf was Epic exclusive (well, they also made the VR game What the Bat, but Epic doesn't have VR only game).
If Epic isn't willing to foot the bill to get a game as an exclusive, why would you put it there (unless you're Ubisoft)?
(World of Goo was most likely signed years ago)

Status
Not open for further replies.