Community MetaSteam | January 2019 - Steaming along through Epic storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Today I ventured into Epic Lands and played What Remains of Edith Finch.
Great game, not so great client. This thing really has no features at all and the UX is annoying.

The Library shows a big-ass tile for every game and I can't imagine how this is supposed to work at all once you have dozens or hundreds of games (since there isn't even a quick search either). Tough to be fair, this isn't an issue yet, since the store barely sells anything anyway, so one could say they still have time to figure things out.)

(Btw, the tiles scale to the size of the client window and it only ever shows 3 per row. Mayimizing the launcher only results in 3 tiles that are even bigger, whyyy).
So, I actually like using grid/tile view in Steam. It gives me a pleasant visual way to see my installed library instead of just looking at lines of text. But the lines of text are the easier way to browse through my list of non-installed games to find things.

The problem as you said is that the default and only way to browse the EGS is the tile view, which is completely asinine. This is also fairly petty, but I hate that you can't set your own tiles either. In Steam you can actually set custom images which adds a huge layer of flexibility and customization to the way you browse your library.

It also doesn't help that the EGS client makes Steam look like it's running on a supercomputer with how slow it chugs.

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It also doesn't help that the EGS client makes Steam look like it's running on a supercomputer with how slow it chugs.
i've seen people with pretty hefty rigs say they have to close the launcher or else their games chug like a motherfucker

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
By the way, did everyone see the news that Epic is charging payment processing surcharges to customers?

It's almost like operating on a razor-thin 12% cut isn't going to work, and is going to screw customers.

You can't claim a 12% cut for devs to be a selling point of your store if your customers then A) still see the same base price as they would on another platform (i.e., the customary $60 isn't lowered) and B) see additions to the price upwards of 6+% because of payment processing.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It's almost like operating on a razor-thin 12% cut isn't going to work, and is going to screw customers.

You can't claim a 12% cut for devs to be a selling point of your store if your customers then A) still see the same base price as they would on another platform (i.e., the customary $60 isn't lowered) and B) see additions to the price upwards of 6+% because of payment processing.
... and on that note:

aged to perfection

I’ve been super busy, but I’m stopping in to say...

we :cat-heart-blob: you too! ;)

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I’ve been super busy, but I’m stopping in to say...

We love you too buddy.

Been reading through Hellboy and will aim to play Onimusha and FEAR in coming days at least. Gonna spend much of the year just reading comics, mangas and just working on this college course.
Will I complete 52 games this year? Pretty sure I can :V

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
By the way, did everyone see the news that Epic is charging payment processing surcharges to customers?

But we were supposed to get cheaper games!

zkylon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4
Nov 2, 2018
what i do like about the epic client is that it's so fast to do everything and it's simple looking

steam is so damn slow for me, takes so long to open etc.

the good thing about steam is that my mac somehow broke some webkit library or something that made the computer not render webkit using applications (so basically everything like chrome, safari, the app store, the league. client...) but since steam was built on some arcane garbage tech it still works and i can launch into the breach from there lol

i am gonna play edith finch through the epic store cos that's a game i'm interested in and it's free and i have it installed for UE anyways so....

Mash harder :V
Like this
I was trained by ancient video games to wiggle sticks and mash buttons when stunned or grabbed. Especially in Resident Evil games.
i wish games made an effort to explicitly tell you not to mash cos that would free me from this torment

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
what i do like about the epic client is that it's so fast to do everything and it's simple looking

steam is so damn slow for me, takes so long to open etc.
I feel like you and I are having very different Mac experiences lol. Dunno if it's recent Mojave updates or my 2014 MacBook:

It's not quite as perceptible in a GIF, but the program just feels chunky when I'm using it.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
I feel like you and I are having very different Mac experiences lol. Dunno if it's recent Mojave updates or my 2014 MacBook:

It's not quite as perceptible in a GIF, but the program just feels chunky when I'm using it.
Yeah it's quite chunky here as well. It's just not smooth at all.

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018

oh no i didn't install it on my mac cos literally i can't install anything without the app store or chrome

i gotta nuke that shit back to zero but it's not easy as i have like 3 virtual machines for linux distros and whatnot

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018

To be honest, rapidly scrolling steam library up and down is chunky too if you've 8000 games. Valve pls fix.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
kda literally means best shit ever

i've started using kda as my placeholder art and music for all the things i do so all the crap we shipped at work since october has some kda hidden somewhere <3

i'll try and sneak the 1hr version somewhere, tho that's probably a big filesize

Great, never played League, don't really listen to kpop and just sitting here, watching K/DA reaction videos for an hour.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Same experience here, it looks like it works slowly than any other page and it's probably due the pic heavy content, I have just enteres web client not the launcher itself.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
nice, send me your favorite reaction videos

also remixes

i like this one lately
I like the ones who knew nothing of League or the other way around

The best reactions are when you know they will react to a specific part (first laundry scene, dance choreography, Luminescence mask/Rap, 9-tails)

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Lawd, i played so much Stepmania years ago like when it was relatively new and then realised i was trash tier and fell off. Some of the higher level play in rhythm games just boggles my mind. I'm much happier playing obscure songs on normal on Audio Shield where i can rule the roost because only 4 or 5 other people are playing them too. lol

Speed 7 or 8 on Tetris Effect wrecks me so i know i'm just not cut out for higer level play on most things like that. I am at peace with my lack of skills.

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018
I like the ones who knew nothing of League or the other way around
The best reactions are when you know they will react to a specific part (first laundry scene, dance choreography, Luminescence mask/Rap, 9-tails)
nice, they all love it so much

might've been the effect of watching this live but it's been so many months and i'm not a little bit tired, i listen to this song every day

it's so good

rito make the fucking nendoroids already

edit: also yeah the ahri reveal moment ("...so keep your eyes on me noOooOw") is soooo good in the video. i love it so much. also akali swinging that kunai in between the train tracks. ooohhh i love it

I think I may need to reinstall Stepmania:
yeah i really gotta download it for beat saber at work

this is great, Zky
anyone can think what they want on league, but kda is something way too easy to love

so catchy and cool and well produced

Last edited:
Reactions: dot and lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
nice, they all love it so much

might've been the effect of watching this live but it's been so many months and i'm not a little bit tired, i listen to this song every day

it's so good

rito make the fucking nendoroids already

edit: also yeah the ahri reveal moment ("...so keep your eyes on me noOooOw") is soooo good in the video. i love it so much. also akali swinging that kunai in between the train tracks. ooohhh i love it

yeah i really gotta download it for beat saber at work

anyone can think what they want on league, but kda is something way too easy to love

so catchy and cool and well produced
Still am on the reaction videos ;)
First Ahri moment is where most of the kpop reactioners without video game knowledge realize those are video game characters and not anime representations of the idols.

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018
Still am on the reaction videos ;)
First Ahri moment is where most of the kpop reactioners without video game knowledge realize those are video game characters and not anime representations of the idols.
i've been watching some too haha

this is my favorite so far

he's so pumped

(lashy now regretting inviting me to this place)

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
The K/DA video itself is great, but the actual performance wasn't half bad honestly (although it got some hate as it was being performed).

It's some pretty slick AR tech and choreography, especially combining it with the live performance (the AR characters even have reflections on the stage, look at the ground around 2:32!).

The AR dragon from last year was pretty awesome too.

(I see Zyklon beat me to the live performance while I was writing this.)

Reactions: dot and lashman

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018
yeah it was amazing live, you could tell the character models weren't perfect but the energy was great and i think everyone loved the performances, specially g-idle's since their bits are the hypest. also heartbreakingly the last ahri bit breaks and will forever be painful to watch. it was such a crazy feat, they also do it during golden hour so a 10 minute delay could ruin all the lighting, it's super impressive

also while super cool on its own right, i bet the dragon thing didn't translate so well to live cos there's no performance act tied to it. tho since it wasn't as ambitious it landed way more solid

i didn't hear ppl complain about kda tbh, it was such a fun surprise, and since rise was already great (tho ppl complained about the performances there, tho it sounded good to me) and it was followed by that very good year recap video it was just an amazing experience

fuck that's dark

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Hey it's still video game discussion ;)

I now know more about LoL in a day than the whole decade before.
Although, I had watched the Jinx video that one time when it came out.

Music in Video games just enables a deeper connection with me. That's why I liked Final Fantasy so much, especially FF8.
I have a WiiU with only one game: Xenoblade Chronicles X. I bought it because I was watching a Lets Play and always get so pumped when the epic boss music was playing. Retrospectively, that was nuts, even if it was only 220€ with console and game. maybe I can poach the WiiU off to my niece as a gift with mario kart or something, but she is just 4.

Same with Animes, when I was fully into Animes a decade or so ago, I watched several shows just because I saw them in an AMV or two.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018

Music in Video games just enables a deeper connection with me. That's why I liked Final Fantasy so much, especially FF8.
Did you see the RISE video that League put out for the beginning of Worlds?
It's a bit more oriented towards League fans since it's referencing the events of the last World Championship, but it's still got pretty good music and super great animation again..

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018

I have a WiiU with only one game: Xenoblade Chronicles X. I bought it because I was watching a Lets Play and always get so pumped when the epic boss music was playing. Retrospectively, that was nuts, even if it was only 220€ with console and game. maybe I can poach the WiiU off to my niece as a gift with mario kart or something, but she is just 4.

Same with Animes, when I was fully into Animes a decade or so ago, I watched several shows just because I saw them in an AMV or two.
for me i think it's the opposite way, i get into the music because of the fondness i have for the game/anime

LoL isn't a real game :smart-thinking-blob:
league is a pretty skin collecting software that can launch a separate irrelevant thing

Did you see the RISE video that League put out for the beginning of Worlds?
It's a bit more oriented towards League fans since it's referencing the events of the last World Championship, but it's still got pretty good music and super great animation again..
honestly all the music stuff rito does is really good, it's a shame it barely matters but bodes well if they ever make more games

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018

Back on the topic of Steam games, how is everyone enjoying Vesperia? I l want to love it, but I don't like the combat as much as I thought I would. It feels real dated compared to newer titles (obviously I guess).

But the characters and world are pretty charming, so that's going to keep me going for a while.

Reactions: Ryne and lashman

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018

Back on the topic of Steam games, how is everyone enjoying Vesperia? I l want to love it, but I don't like the combat as much as I thought I would. It feels real dated compared to newer titles (obviously I guess).

But the characters and world are pretty charming, so that's going to keep me going for a while.
I loved the Original game, and still have my 360 copy. However I haven't had time to dig into the port. Been stuck in a PoE2 hole.

How is the port? QLOC usually does good work so I'm hopeful.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I loved the Original game, and still have my 360 copy. However I haven't had time to dig into the port. Been stuck in a PoE2 hole.

How is the port? QLOC usually does good work so I'm hopeful.
It seems like a great port.

No major problems reported as far as I've seen browsing through reviews. QLOC seems to have done it again.

Reactions: Ryne and lashman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Is there a reason that the Steam client seems to take up significantly less space than other clients? Is it better optimization, is it hiding the files somewhere else or what's causing the massive differential?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Is there a reason that the Steam client seems to take up significantly less space than other clients? Is it better optimization, is it hiding the files somewhere else or what's causing the massive differential?
probably better optimization, yeah

Reactions: Ex-User (307)
Status
Not open for further replies.