Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 113

Any feedback or suggestions regarding my charity raffle idea?

Guys, sorry for going OT a bit, but with all the fires currently affecting Australia, which is a very heartbreaking situation, would you guys consider doing a raffle, with donations going for the people and wildlife affected?
Maybe even using the "donate" tab of the forum (if possible)?

I would gladly donate games from bundles (100 or more) to give as prizes, and maybe someone else is willing to throw a few games as well.

Any ideas to get something going?

Reactions: Li Kao

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Can someone explain to me like Im 8yo what AMD is doing with their new Ryzen CPUs that trounces Intels CPUs? Hearing lots of good stuff about the Ryzen CPUs, but don't know why they are good compares to Intel.
AMD offers more cores/threads for the same price, a very efficient, modern architecture and a wide range of motherboards and chipsets to choose from while Intel now only has a slight advantage left in games that need much GHz but is falling behind everywhere else. They've been reselling their old stuff without any significant changes for years and now it is catching up with them hard, all that's left is desperate PR and re-labeling old shit. And don't forget the way more serious security issues which need to be fixed via software which leads to performance losses. Seems to never end. Honestly it's close to impossible to recommend Intel with a straight face to anyone in any price range right now except mayyybe hardcore gamers that need max fps in certain games. Everything they're offering is outdated and overpriced, that goes for normal consumer stuff and is getting even worse the higher you go, the new Threadrippers made anything Intel has for productivity look like a sad joke and that's after they cut some prices in half. Still, why not just read and watch some reviews of current Ryzens?

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao and Tizoc

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
AMD offers more cores/threads for the same price, a very efficient, modern architecture and a wide range of motherboards and chipsets to choose from while Intel now only has a slight advantage left in games that need much GHz but has fallen behind everywhere else. They've (Intel) been reselling their old stuff without any significant changes for years and now it is catching up with them hard, their PR reeks of desperation trying to spin old news into something good. And don't forget way more serious security issues which need to be fixed via software which leads to performance losses. Seems to never end. Honestly it's close to impossible to recommend Intel with a straight face to anyone in any price range right now except mayyybe hardcore gamers that need max fps in certain games. Everything they're offering is outdated and overpriced, that goes for normal consumer stuff and is getting even worse the higher you go, the new Threadrippers made anything Intel has to offer for productivity look like a sad joke and that's after they cut some prices in half.
So if someone were to build a gaming PC, should they go with the upcomign 10900k or a Ryzen

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
What the fuck, I’m glad you’re okay. Stay safe brother.
Dude what?!
Yeah at first I thought he was smoking so I opened the door to tell him to stop but saw that he had put his cardboards against the wall and sprayed lighted fluid all over the place and the cardboard was burning. So used the pot from my rice cooker to pour water on it haha.

The place I'm staying is a shit hole, I mean it's mostly for people that can't for some reason get an ordinary place, and like me ex homeless people. My neighbour told that he walked in on someone washing his junk in the kitchen haha. We don't have kitchens in our "apartments" just an common place. (I just use my rice cooker to cook everything.)

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Yeah at first I thought he was smoking so I opened the door to tell him to stop but saw that he had put his cardboards against the wall and sprayed lighted fluid all over the place and the cardboard was burning. So used the pot from my rice cooker to pour water on it haha.
It is serious. His intent was pretty clear if he had taken the time to bring cardboards and gasoline. This could lead to a disaster.

For instance, at least 10 people died due to a similar fire start one year ago in Paris.

Stay safe, dude. I hope you don't have to run out during the night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
To go a bit beyond the 8yo explanation, a major reason AMD is ahead right now is that Intel has been failing to move to a new fabrication process for literally over 5 years. As a result, they are still on 14nm (with some incremental improvements) while AMD is building Zen2 on 7nm.

From that perspective it almost feels like they should be even further ahead. Actually, they are that far ahead right now in some workloads (e.g. servers), just not quite in gaming, where they are more or less on par or slightly behind (this is primarily related to the superior low-latency communication Intel has on their consumer series chips).

Edit: I should note that when I say "on par or slightly behind" for gaming here I mean in absolute performance, not considering pricing (or other aspects like platform cost/features).

So if someone were to build a gaming PC, should they go with the upcomign 10900k or a Ryzen
That really depends on how much you want to spend and your specific use case. Only if money is a secondary concern and you are really focused on gaming (or other latency-sensitive or semi-sequential cases) might you still want to go Intel.
But really, that question should be looked at once we have reliable benchmarks for them.

Last edited:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
To go a bit beyond the 8yo explanation, a major reason AMD is ahead right now is that Intel has been failing to move to a new fabrication process for literally over 5 years. As a result, they are still on 14nm (with some incremental improvements) while AMD is building Zen2 on 7nm.

From that perspective it almost feels like they should be even further ahead. Actually, they are that far ahead right now in some workloads (e.g. servers), just not quite in gaming, where they are more or less on par or slightly behind (this is primarily related to the superior low-latency communication Intel has on their consumer series chips).
Who knew Intel was the actual ‘Valve just sits on their asses taxing the devs!’

Reactions: lashman

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
They should wait until Intel and AMD both have released their 2020 desktop products, read and watch tons of reviews, then decide. Whatever Intel has cobbled together certainly won't be bad for gaming but Ryzen 4xxx could actually beat them even there.

Reactions: Li Kao and Durante

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
If you are upgrading to Ryzen, keep in mind that Zen 2 (3xxx) motherboards are all dogshite with a lot of problems.

Reactions: xinek

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I noticed a bunch of people on my list with A Short Hike. Not a lot have played it. Play it. You'll like it. It's really good.

If you have a Humble Choice sub, it's in the Trove for free. It's worth the hour or two.

InquisitorAles

I know nothing
Oct 19, 2018
www.youtube.com
Time to start playing Kentucky Road Zero, it's been in my backlog forever, was waiting for all episodes to come out. Also, I'm finally done with my late GOTY 2019 list:

Time to make that Games of the Decade list too! But something tells me that Witcher 3 will win in all GOTD awards :cool:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It is is serious. His intent was pretty clear if he had taken the time to bring cardboards and gasoline. This could lead to a disaster.

For instance, at least 10 people died due to a similar fire start one year ago in Paris.

Stay safe, dude. I hope you don't have to run out during the night.
Yikes! At least they fixed the fire alarm now. Fuck every sound outside my door will scare me now haha.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Finally, Dark Fall - Ghost Vigil has clicked with me after getting annoyed by it the other day or maybe it's just because i haven't played a Darkling Room game for a while. Anyway, It's definitely a Dark Fall game being as it's slightly clunky but pretty atmospheric. They play like Myst/Riven where you click screen edges to turn, click footsteps to travel etc rather than a PnC or free movement game.

I hope they get a patch ready for the Steam release as there's an audio bug when you put away one of your pieces of equipment, windowed mode makes the cursor go squiffy, there needs to be some form of in-app tutorial for some of the kit you use or a reminder to read the in-game instruction leaflet, the walkie-talkie interruptions are annoying and there's been two or three questions asked and i hadn't had a chance to take notes so i just chose random answers.

Read things you are given, take pen and paper notes, and settle in for a haunted house investigation. For the money, i can see myself enjoying it like i did the other games even if the previous paragraphs sounded negative. I'm only about 20 minutes in and can't wait to dive back into it actually.

Also waiting for ZRZV (Kentucky Route Zero Act V) to release before restarting the game. I lost my save from many years ago and i'm probably better off restarting anyway.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

Guys, since I didn't manage to get much feedback or suggestions regarding that raffle idea, in order to get donations for wildlife relief funds in Australia, I'm trying something else.

If anyone makes a donation to one of the charities I list on the below thread, and sends me proof of donation, I'll send you 5 games of your choice (for each $10AUD donated; if you donate more, I'll send you 5 games for each $10AUD donated) from the list included:

If you can spare some funds to these wildlife relief efforts, it would be awesome. :cat-heart-blob:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I didn't reply to the Raffle Request as i am creatively bankrupt, lol! Also most of the keys i have left in my various bundle accounts are... yeah, people wouldn't thank me for them, lol :face-screaming-in-fear:

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
I was doing maps with my lvl 80 Necromancer on Standard for fun and decided to check out Metamorph, now I have a lvl 50 Deadeye :flushed-face:
Path of Exile is great because they keep pumping out content. Every 2-3 months there is a new league where everyone starts with nothing. So I always come back, month after month, year after year! I usually play a league for 1.5 months take 1.5 months off and then start the new league for 1.5 months, ect. ect. I have also spent maybe $70 over the 6 years and thousands of hours, just because I feel like I want to give them more money. You could get away with spending zero or like $10 for the sale stash tabs and be set for life.

Deleted member 113

I didn't reply to the Raffle Request as i am creatively bankrupt, lol! Also most of the keys i have left in my various bundle accounts are... yeah, people wouldn't thank me for them, lol :face-screaming-in-fear:
No problem, EdwardTivrusky. :cat-heart-blob:

By the way guys, the list I included is a small sample of keys I have (quickly taken, since I'm working), if anyone donates, and is looking for any game in particular (that was already bundled) I'll be happy to see if I have it, and I'll send it to you if I do have it.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
If you are upgrading to Ryzen, keep in mind that Zen 2 (3xxx) motherboards are all dogshite with a lot of problems.
I keep getting resets on my Asrock Extreme 4, I am not sure what the exact reason is. Right now I think that I'm not using the right timings for the RAM

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
From what i've heard modern CPUs are really sensitive to RAM Timing. I was lucky and just enabled the XMP Profile for my mobo & ram and all seems good thankfully.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
This game is for adults. I am going to monitor the price of its profile backgrounds. Sadly, no anime.
Taking my chances and going.... in.... early and.... hard. For profit ofc. :cautious:

Card prices already not great though.

Devolver Bootleg got cards too btw, and Mutazione.

Last edited:
Reactions: arts&crafts

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
You and me both.

Steam says I have 5738hours of PoE but the funny thing is, I am still pretty bad :negative-blob:
I have 1000 hours. Probably put 250 before it came to Steam as well.

I suck ass, but on the other hand, it's also very easy to follow a guide and build a powerful character with just basic knowledge. To be considered "good" at this game, the amount of research hours need to be double or triple the amount played. That's just how it is after 20+ expansions and so many mechanics, nuances, formulas, recipes, items and other intangibles.

Reactions: arts&crafts

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
This game is for adults. I am going to monitor the price of its profile backgrounds. Sadly, no anime.

That's a name alright. You know, I think Valve might want to take a bit more of a hands-on approach here, and no, not in the sense this game seems to advocate.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Why are western eroges all so freaking ugly

who gets off fo that shit
Err, I would say this is one of the best looking. The other ones I see sometimes on my queue are terribad. Terriworse. Terriworst, even.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky
Status
Not open for further replies.