Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Finished the first Turok today. I replayed the second one couple years ago, but I had never played the first one so I thought maybe it was finally time to fix that. I wouldn't recommend this if first-person platforming sounds like a sin to you, because there are some pretty challenging moments in the game. The shooting part feels very old-school with fast-paced action and mostly cool guns.

Fuck that last mission though. Horrible maze filled with enemies.
Another Turok playing here! :p I am in level 7 and so far it has been an old-school worthy ride. It's a pity that in some areas enemies respawn too fast but I suppose it's a way to make you move faster to new areas or just use every weapon at your disposal.

Reactions: mssq

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Wow. Not only is the "Impossible Lair" in Yooka-Laylee annoyingly difficult, it's also very dark. I'm not going to beat it out of protest.

I gotta say, it's a pretty good game. I didn't expect to like the 'multiple types of the same level' concept, but it's done nicely here.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
It has a lot of good passives.
The only active one I've been using so far has been the Guardian Spirit Talisman, which I really like. It's effect depends on the equipped guardian spirit, so it's basically a bunch of skills in one.
I did the 15 Magic Dojo mission yesterday and that's where you had to fight a Tengu and were provided with a Sloth Talisman - I've decided that will be my next purchase once I've got some skill points.
Just tried Sloth. Embrace it

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Wow. Not only is the "Impossible Lair" in Yooka-Laylee annoyingly difficult, it's also very dark. I'm not going to beat it out of protest.

I gotta say, it's a pretty good game. I didn't expect to like the 'multiple types of the same level' concept, but it's done nicely here.
"BuT it'S cALleD tHE imP0sSiBlE LAir!!"

Still waiting for a patch

Reactions: Milena and lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Durante I see you giving SaGa SG a try neat, let me know if you need any tips, but one that I will give you freely right away, though I think you already figured it out, is to focus on getting United Attacks, that way battles can be won much more conveniently.

Also Turok 1's platforming is...OK. I mean you got quick saves that just makes things much less tedious.
However I do like it's elements of exploration....long as I am not getting lost :V

Reactions: QFNS and Echoes

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Been playing Days Gone all day, just wanna be done with it, but according to mission lists Ive found, I still have a long way to go.

The game is too long for it's own good.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018

Like brightness dark? Is that a bug for certain people (and that's why others have mentioned a patch?). I just beat it a couple nights ago and I don't recall it looking notably darker than the rest of the game.

mssq

lurker
Apr 22, 2019
Also Turok 1's platforming is...OK. I mean you got quick saves that just makes things much less tedious.
However I do like it's elements of exploration....long as I am not getting lost :V
It has quick saves? Didn't see any mentions about them in the settings. Though I didn't mind, I enjoy my platformers and died only around 10 times by failing a jump.

The jumping itself took some time to get adjusted that your momentum stops the moment you land your jump. Usually you can just keep bunnyhopping around in older games.

Reactions: lashman

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Been playing Days Gone all day, just wanna be done with it, but according to mission lists Ive found, I still have a long way to go.

The game is too long for it's own good.
It looks like you’re having a miserable time with it from the start, why are you doing this to yourself? Just turn it off and forget about it.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Like brightness dark? Is that a bug for certain people (and that's why others have mentioned a patch?). I just beat it a couple nights ago and I don't recall it looking notably darker than the rest of the game.
Oh no, the whole save bees to then be your meat shield part.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
It looks like you’re having a miserable time with it from the start, why are you doing this to yourself? Just turn it off and forget about it.
I don't feel miserable with it, it just keeps not being interesting, but something about it just makes me keep going.

Reactions: Eferis

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Oh no, the whole save bees to then be your meat shield part.
Oh, I suppose. You can imagine that the bees you save are piloting little bee mech suits and they're fine inside the suits? I noticed when a bee gets knocked off it looks weirdly metallic and larger on the ground so just use that to feel better.

The Impossible Lair (last level, not the game) was shorter than I expected. I thought people referred to it being 30 minutes long but on my first attempt I got to 50% after dying on a boss phase so in my head I expected a lot more but they must calculate that weird because on the next attempt I just had one more stretch of platforming and the final boss round. I'm guessing with the boss fights it took around 15-20 minutes in total?

Reactions: Nabs

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019

Very dark? Huh, I don't think I ever had that issue with the level... hard, sure, but it always seemed bright enough to see where I was jumping.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Very dark? Huh, I don't think I ever had that issue with the level... hard, sure, but it always seemed bright enough to see where I was jumping.
Heh, my thought as well but see above. They just meant the bee meat shield sacrificing themselves for you. Psychologically dark.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
EDIT: Let me rephrase that.
In SaGa Scarlet Grace, you can set combat diffiuclty to Easy, Normal and Hard. I chose not to change it and likely won't during this Urpina playthrough

I am playing Urpina route in SaGa Scarlet Grace and it is a route where you really should just do the main quest, reason being is that Urpina gets very low resources from battles, furthermore stat increase for characters is hella slow.
This combination makes certain battles tough because your stats and equipments might be low and any attempt to upgrade might be difficult if you lack resources.
Still I understand WHY it is suggested to go her route first, if only to get the player accustomed to the gameplay flow.

Bal was a much better playthrough, mainly because the game treats it as Hard mode (even with diff. set to normal!) and the battles for the most part were managable thanks to the game rewarding you with good amount of resources+stat boosts from battles as you progress.
See THIS is my kind of difficulty; if I'm going to face strong foes, don't cheapen out on the buffs, gimme enough to have a level playing field.

I am gonna do at least one or two more side stuff while following a guide to get the most amount of resources (for equip upgrades) because good lord are my retinue weak and they need the big blades.

Please never play FEAR 3
I must
I already own it and If I'm gonna play Call of Doody, FEAR 3 can't be any worse :V

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I'm curious if Windows 10 means Windows Store only? Imagine Microsoft starting money hatting 3rd party games on pc as well 😟
Or it's just the devs being weird.

MS moneyhatting a 3rd party game would go against what they are doing.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
That Bigfoot questline is so funny.

Mondo is a cool uncle, but Arthur is a bro, you'll know when you have him in a route.
There must be hundreds of these retinues since I didn't come across him in Urpina's story. I'm doing Taria for my next playthrough.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I love Ziggurat, but like several other rogue-likes I've played, I feel luck is a more important factor to beat the game than skills. Certain perks, amulets and weapons are significantly stronger than others, and certain enemies and bosses are significantly harder to beat than others. Is this me, or do you guys had the same impression?

Still haven't beat the final boss by the way.
MS moneyhatting a 3rd party game would go against what they are doing.
My thoughts as well. It's just weird, because in the past "Windows 10" instead of "PC" meant Windows Store only. But that was before the glorious multi-store future of course 😉

Reactions: Tizoc and Echoes

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I like the third person perspective because I like to see my character but when it comes to immersion you just can't beat first person.
I still have such vivid memories of playing Doom for the first time, leaning to the side in my chair to peek around corners because I was too scared.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
I love Ziggurat, but like several other rogue-likes I've played, I feel luck is a more important factor to beat the game than skills. Certain perks, amulets and weapons are significantly stronger than others, and certain enemies and bosses are significantly harder to beat than others. Is this me, or do you guys had the same impression?

Still haven't beat the final boss by the way.

My thoughts as well. It's just weird, because in the past "Windows 10" instead of "PC" meant Windows Store only. But that was before the glorious multi-store future of course 😉
It's such a great game, a must for any old-school Fps lover as well as rogue-like fans. It really nails those two aspects.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I bought Saga and played for a bit.

At first I didn't understand what the fuss was about concerning the battle system, but now I can see why people like it so much. The combination of having various skills to reposition party members and enemies on the timeline and the power of combination attacks makes for some really interesting strategizing. It's very satisfying to e.g. plan to purposefully move an enemy in between your characters and then kill them.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it the best turn-based JRPG battle system, but it's certainly both unique and good, which is a rare combination as far as these things go.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Kvik
Ah I don't know if you'll get him in that route, but if you do all scenarios, you'll have him guaranteed.

At first I didn't understand what the fuss was about concerning the battle system, but now I can see why people like it so much. The combination of having various skills to reposition party members and enemies on the timeline and the power of combination attacks makes for some really interesting strategizing. It's very satisfying to e.g. plan to purposefully move an enemy in between your characters and then kill them.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it the best turn-based JRPG battle system, but it's certainly both unique and good, which is a rare combination as far as these things go.
That's fine. I find the turn based system it uses really good and landing United Attacks is a joy XP
Whose route are you starting with?

Reactions: Kvik

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The game selected Urpina for me (as a result of the questionnaire I assume?), so that's who I went with.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
While United Attacks are good, the BP cost reduction is what I'm really after. Being able to reduce 6/8-star counter skills to just one star is super useful for late game where enemies will interrupt/counter your retinue at every opportunity.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
There are some techs that you legit won't be able to use without that reduction first, in most formations.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
The game selected Urpina for me (as a result of the questionnaire I assume?), so that's who I went with.
First time choice is stacked in Urpina's favor, since she's the easiest character to start with, but depending on RNGJesus, it can be any of them, IIRC.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Im guessing that there is something wrong with my M.2 SSD because games that run well on my regular SSD look great with GSync but yet can see tearing with the m.2

So games installed on the M.2 run well only if I am using the Windows on my old SSD, but when I switch Windows to the M.2 that is when I have issues with games.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019

What would you consider the best turn-based JRPG battle system?

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Yeah, SMT games (including Persona) are my golden standard for turn-based JRPG. The system goes beyond just combat, you start from your party composition and formation, as well as understanding the enemies you're about to encounter. When everything clicks, it's just so satisfying. There's little to no repetition in SMT combat.

Reactions: beep boop
Status
Not open for further replies.