Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Should I feel bad for not caring about open world over-the-shoulder-console-shooter #2376? It's hard to find a more unappealing mix of words...
Well HZD isn't GOTY material imo but it has a unique setting going for it, the world is nice and those robo-dinos are somewhat original (I remember having toys looking like that in the 80s). A step above some of the other stuff.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Should I feel bad for not caring about open world over-the-shoulder-console-shooter #2376? It's hard to find a more unappealing mix of words...
Horizon ZD isn't a shooter.
It's Tomb Raider 2013 but with mecha dinosaurs and an even more uninspired upgrade/skill tree.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
"last hold" lol

the fuck these people think they're talking about?
Everything in gaming has to be a fucking drama, it's baffling. I have to keep telling myself that these posts are all written by kids and are just the equivalent of the Mario vs Sonic debates I had in the schoolyard when I was 12.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
To break from the hate train, I quite liked HZD. It's one of my favorite 3rd-person games ever, a lot of that is the world and design though, almost all 3rd person pseudo action games have the same core mechanics, just varied up. For it's sake it does do those parts very competently. God of War is the better game probably but both are great.

Submitted my Goty / GotD votes. I kind of wish I could have left comments for more than just the #1 but since they wouldn't have been seen I guess it's silly. Of course I just admitted to thinking HZD was good so I'm sure everyone can safely ignore my opinions anyway :cat-heart-blob::

GOTY
  1. Katana ZERO
  2. MO:Astray
  3. Supraland
  4. A Short Hike
  5. Baba is You
Reasoning:
It was a tough call because no one game stood above the rest clearly for me here, but Katana ZERO had just a little bit "extra" in my head. It tells a story well, it presents rooms in bite size puzzle pieces, it oozes style in a familiar yet new way akin to Hotline Miami. I haven't finished MO but it's already up there in my eyes, and Supraland might have been higher if I hadn't hated the combat so, so much. It's a testament to the puzzle aspects that it's on the list at all. Baba is You is an odd one as I don't own it, and only have watched people play it, but it's fantastic and I definitely want to play it through myself sometime.

GOTD

1. Minecraft
  2. Hollow Knight
  3. Fallout: New Vegas
  4. Hyper Light Drifter
  5. Portal 2
  6. Endless Space 2
  7. Titanfall 2
  8. Batman: Arkham City
  9. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
  10. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Reasoning:
It's Minecraft (just kidding). I bought and played Minecraft pretty early on in the alpha/beta days, even though I was "older" than many I've never been one to care much about that getting in the way of entertainment, eventually enlisting a few friends and family, and some of my fondest memories are of my (and our) adventures and building projects in the game. It's the single game I most constantly wish I had more time for, even though I've played it so much.

It's noteworthy that some of my GOTY from previous years did not even make the decade list. It's been a staggeringly good decade for gaming, despite companies' best efforts to ruin it cough EA/Bethesda/Epic cough.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I think you mean
Never tried it! I don't do sunflower oil though. It's actually not that hard to make mayo in tiny batches because the good brands of this stuff are too expensive anyway. I'd eat a jar with a spoon. With Hellmans that's a horrible thought.

(The PC equivalent of the Berlin wall coming down is going on and I'm more interested in condiments...)

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Of course I just admitted to thinking HZD was good so I'm sure everyone can safely ignore my opinions anyway :cat-heart-blob::
Hey, please never be shy of sharing your opinions. That’s what makes this forum great. I know I can come off as a jerk sometimes and I apologize for that.
Stop whining about HZD.

Be glad they're not leading with Days Gone.

Or, worst of all, Order 1886.
The Order is great, fite me

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Days Gone is coming for sure.

And its Unreal Engine so it will take 2 days to port it to PC.

Ceiling Tim probably already claimed it as well.

Reactions: xinek and lashman

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Never tried it! I don't do sunflower oil though. It's actually not that hard to make mayo in tiny batches because the good brands of this stuff are too expensive anyway. I'd eat a jar with a spoon. With Hellmans that's a horrible thought.

(The PC equivalent of the Berlin wall coming down is going on and I'm more interested in condiments...)
I literally had no idea it was made with sunflower oil lol
When I bought it I got it because I liked their ketchup brand and I figured their other stuff would be just as good and it ended up being pretty good

Reactions: Wildebeet

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
No, but you can be happy for those who look forward to it.
Don't get me wrong I have no ill will to anyone who enjoys the things I don't nor should my opinion lessen the enjoyment you take from the game, it's just that PC for me was always about new and different experiences and not more of the same tired formula.
My happiness and other people happiness aren't two mutually exclusive concepts.

Well HZD isn't GOTY material imo but it has a unique setting going for it, the world is nice and those robo-dinos are somewhat original (I remember having toys looking like that in the 80s). A step above some of the other stuff.
Honest to god, the first thing that sprung to my mind when I saw the trailer 3 or 4 years ago was "They're doing an Enslaved sequel?". A post apocalyptic world with robots isn't exactly new, even if they are dinos.

Reactions: derExperte

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
1886 gave me an easy Platinum so that's a +1. It also gave me headaches for days thanks to its vaseline smeared, overprocessed, motion-blurred visuals so that's a -1886. It could look nice on PC after turning off all the smearing though, 97,5% of the budget obviously went into the graphics while the the game designer and script writer got kicked out a week after the project started.

Give up now or I'll post a gif of those werewolf fights.

Honest to god, the first thing that sprung to my mind when I saw the trailer 3 or 4 years ago was "They're doing an Enslaved sequel?". A post apocalyptic world with robots isn't exactly new, even if they are dinos.
Hmm, can't really argue with that, the female protagonists even kinda look similar somewhat. Still, robodinos....

Last edited:
Reactions: NarohDethan

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I wonder if a game like Cyberpunk getting delayed just means another 5 months of crunch for the people working on it. A lot of people assume that it will allow them to finish the game without working themselves to death but I wonder if that's really the case.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I wonder if a game like Cyberpunk getting delayed just means another 5 months of crunch for the people working on it. A lot of people assume that it will allow them to finish the game without working themselves to death but I wonder if that's really the case.
Of course.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
PC gamers playing HZD be like...

PS5 will be fine. Not everyone wants a PC, has the money for one or the space. The convenience of a console together with their friends lists mean the odd exclusive coming late won't make much impact. I doubt it anyway. It'll just mean a bit of extra cash for Sony at the start of a new console gen, help recoup some of that R&D money and maybe get PC gamers to consider a PS5 for HZD2 or other games.

I love PC gaming but they can be a real pain in the ass at times.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I thought you were pointing at Cyberpunk. That would have been brutal.

It is only after reading the replies that I understand you actually talk about that Horizon game. I cannot say that I care, because I cannot even be bothered to click on the link to the article. :cpc_lol: Based on your avatar, I guess we both care about the same kind of games. All I care about is Spelunky 2, Hollow Knight 2, and Ori 2.

Reactions: QFNS

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Hey, please never be shy of sharing your opinions. That’s what makes this forum great. I know I can come off as a jerk sometimes and I apologize for that.

It was a little smarmy, I rarely have a concern sharing my opinions :coffee-blob: It's interesting because I feel like I can come off as harsh in many reviews (check my Steam reviews, haha) but I also tend to really enjoy some things people write off as generic. Maybe it's because I play less of those games? Like I've never played Uncharted series, I played the Tomb Raider reboots but as they came out and thought at least the first one was pretty fun. Spider-Man PS4 was pretty good but honestly not as good as the Batman games, but I like those well enough that I didn't mind an A- knockoff.

Basically, I'm super unforgiving of design that can just make a game unfun for no real reason, whereas I don't mind at all more of a smooth entertaining experience even if it's derivative.

Reactions: NarohDethan

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
With the Cyberpunk delay I will not be building my new PC until at least september, maybe not even then, will see what next gen console specs are at least.

Cyberpunk in april would just have made the PC building wait even harder.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Stop whining about HZD.

Be glad they're not leading with Days Gone.

Or, worst of all, Order 1886.
I actually liked the order 1886. Yes it was way too short, but it did many things right. That level inside the zeppelin was a great experience.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I posted my lists in the up above but forgot to include my GOTD runner-ups here because it hurt me to leave some of these off:

• Subnautica
  • Wolfenstein: TNO
  • Oxenfree
  • Voidspire Tactics
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Darksiders
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Thomas Was Alone
  • Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishment
  • The Messenger

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
PS5 will be fine. Not everyone wants a PC, has the money for one or the space. The convenience of a console together with their friends lists mean the odd exclusive coming late won't make much impact. I doubt it anyway. It'll just mean a bit of extra cash for Sony at the start of a new console gen, help recoup some of that R&D money and maybe get PC gamers to consider a PS5 for HZD2 or other games.

I love PC gaming but they can be a real pain in the ass at times.
That's the funny part, console fanatics jumping around between PC too hard for average gamers and being shaken by losing the supposedly only reason to buy them boxes. What is it, please decide (and yes, I've seen the same ppl making both arguments oscillating between wanking off to teraflops and being shaken by Sony's betrayal).

I actually liked the order 1886. Yes it was way too short, but it did many things right. That level inside the zeppelin was a great experience.
The Zeppelin level indeed was the high point and quite memorable. Which sounds fine until you realize there's over half of the game left and it's only downhill from there.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

If Dreams comes to PC I will scream and double dip in a heartbeat.

Fucking love Media Molecule and im down for anything they make, especially on PC.
PC gamers love to create and be creative, how else are all the mods made?

PC is a perfect fit for Dreams.

Reactions: Li Kao

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Something doesn't have to be entirely new or original to be excellent. But I do get what you're saying.

About Horizon -- I guess I'll spoiler it, even though it's not anything that should affect enjoyment of the game:
I thought it was INSANE when the story revealed how the dinos and the current world came about. I found that reveal shocking because it was so on point and real for today's world-- all these silicon valley bros exploiting people and technology, getting insanely rich, and funding bizarre futuristic tech projects to boost their egos. Something like that could go insanely wrong very easily. And one person could indeed be responsible for an entire fucking apocalypse!

What's bizarre is that those themes apparently weren't even specifically intended by the developers, at least from their interviews and tweets I casually read afterward. I guess different things resonate with different people.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I've always felt like Dreams would eventually hit PC. It's got potential as long as more people can get their hands on it.

I don't ever see Bloodborne coming over, unfortunately.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PC is some real monkey paw bullshit, i would have been happier with (almost) any other sony first party game.
eh, it looks like a visually nice game, so I could see myself buying at below 30€ just for that

nofuckinidea

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
People on the Internet should really start a serious conversation about the dangers of fanaticism, the last hour left me extremely afraid.
This. I just hope that if someday everything is service based and the entry barrier to first party games a few dollars a month, fanboyism will die.

Status
Not open for further replies.