Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 113

As an old "fart" that has been playing games on both PCs and consoles since the early 80's, I frequently feel most modern-day practices by the gaming industry, developers and publishers are done just to aggravate me. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I just want to sit down, play a (single-player) game, and not having to worry about missing out on certain content or features.

But no. There's time-limited content, micro-transactions, multiple editions (which exclusive content for each), platform-exclusive content (which for me, annoys me far more than exclusive games), multiple season passes (naturally, with exclusive content for each; hello, Koei Tecmo!), and many more crap.

Still, I'm always being surprised with what they come up with, in order to annoy me.

Case in point, NEXT Studios, and their game Unheard.
When they launched the game, they told users that the game was short in length, but that they were supporting the game with several DLCs (the first ones free), to extend the available content.
Well, they are now up to the 3rd DLC. 2 of them free, one paid. That's good right? Well, outside of the first DLC, both the second and third DLCs are in Chinese only, with no plans to localize them to English. Chinese non-speakers are apparently second-rate customers, and don't get to play much of the content.

So yeah, one more thing to "worry" about: language-exclusive content! :eek:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
So I think I'm done with Yooka-Laylee. Fun game. Got 41 bees and enjoyed most of it. I got to ~50% of the Impossible Lair, and that's going to be where I leave it. It's not the game I've been playing for 10 hrs, so I'm just going to pretend it's post-game content.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
And while I don't exactly see meltdowns over it here, there are plenty of you who pretty much hate Tim Sweeney and the Epic Store because you can't play the games on your favorite launcher. Is that really much different? It's just games.
I hate Tim Sweeney cause he's a condescending asshole. If he actually talked to people without all the patronizing, I might actually consider downloading his launcher.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
So I think I'm done with Yooka-Laylee. Fun game. Got 41 bees and enjoyed most of it. I got to ~50% of the Impossible Lair, and that's going to be where I leave it. It's not the game I've been playing for 10 hrs, so I'm just going to pretend it's post-game content.
What's the difference between the early and late game that made you quit? Asking since it's on my shopping list for this year, hopefully, and would rather pay for something I'll enjoy from start to finish and not feel inclined to drop midway through.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
What's the difference between the early and late game that made you quit? Asking since it's on my shopping list for this year, hopefully, and would rather pay for something I'll enjoy from start to finish and not feel inclined to drop midway through.
Oh it's just the last level, it's just long and can be annoying (no checkpoints). Everything else is totally fine.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I really like Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair.
It was a lo of fun. But I certainly can see why the last level is not for everyone, the lack of checkpoints in such a long level is a strange decision.

Now in other news, Sony games on PC means God of War, Spiderman, Uncharted, Tha Last of Us, The Last Guardian, Days Gone, Concrete Genie, Ghosts of Tsushima... not a single game I even remotely care about. :face-with-open-mouth:
Especially now that Ratchet may as well be dead, like Crash, Spyro And Jak.

Maybe we'll get Gravity Rush? The first game is kinda neat... but even then, it suffers from a bad case of Warnerbisoftite like all Sony games.

Reactions: lashman

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
The final level is like something transplanted from Super Meat Boy, when the rest of the game is more like 2D Mario-esque
It's a stupidly unreasonable level that is completely at odds with everything else in the game

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Don't give up lash, it's working - slowly, but it is
i'll never stop trying

:blobnoanime:

The final level is like something transplanted from Super Meat Boy, when the rest of the game is more like 2D Mario-esque
It's a stupidly unreasonable level that is completely at odds with everything else in the game
well it is called the Impossible Lair 😏

Reactions: Dandy and MJunioR

Deleted member 113

Regarding that "secret stream" that is probably related to Durante's project(s), where can I watch it, and in how many hours is it?

Reactions: Swenhir and lashman

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Anyway, I'm still going through RE7 and man, this game is legit scary and disturbing.
Once I finish this and Ao No Kiseki I'm going to give Mutant Year Zero a shot. I hope I can fit some more games into the time that's left until RE3 and FF7 are released.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Regarding that "secret stream" that is probably related to Durante's project(s), where can I watch it, and in how many hours is it?
It looks like this is the timeline

Friday, January 17
PAX South Panel Host @ 12:30 PM PST
SECRET STREAM following panel @ 1:35 PM PST
DURANTE REDDIT AMA: 1:30 PM PST

So the Secret Stream would start in:

Not sure where to watch that either though, I have no idea about these things 😅

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
I can't say I agree with you there.

"Hate" is too strong a word, but yes, I will never drop a single cent on the Epic Store.
But allow me to say it, your generalization about the reasons people have for disliking timmy and his store don't take into consideration some of things they have been doing.
You are treating things as if people have some fanatical "allegiance" to a store or platform, when at least, and I speak for myself, that couldn't be farthest from it. I buy games on Steam, GOG, Origin, Uplay, itch.io, Humble, as direct downloads from developers, and many other places.

But no, I won't buy from the Epic Store. And no, it's not "just games" for me.

I have dropped my hard-earned money on several crowdfunded games, with the explicit promise of getting these games in certain fashion, only for timmy to celebrate deals close to launch, fully aware he would be pissing off backers, in order to get some more people to use his client.

Naturally, like I do any time a company treats me poorly, provides me with poor service, or goes against my interests, I'll avoid them like the plague.
That's my reason for "hating", and not using, the EGS.

So, while I understand part of the point you're trying to make, don't tell me "it's just games", or ask me "if it's really much different" from a few console exclusives.
My principles are still worth something, and I'm not willing to do anything just to play a fricking videogame.

Additionally, I don't remember Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/Valve/E.A./... pulling crap like this.
I backed hundreds of games, and I was never deprived of playing games I paid for because any of the companies above came and paid in order for that to happen.
Yeah, I think it’s perfectly fine to boycott Epic if you disagree with their policies. To me it’s just a business doing what they think will be most profitable and I don’t find it worth being upset over.

And the console makers have certainly pulled similar stuff. FF VII Remake would be the most relevant example. Ok, you seem to be referring to Epic stealing Kickstarter games I guess.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I think I need to cut down the amount of gaas games I have installed. I currently have ESO, Destiny 2, Let It Die, MHW, Warframe and SFV on Steam and Apex Legends on Origin.

I uninstalled Fortnite from EGS as I didn't play it a while back, but might get back to it as I still find it to be fun.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I don't think the reaction is completely unwarranted. Would Sony have funded the extremely long development of The Last Guardian if they couldn't show it off as an exclusive? Maybe, maybe not. Would Nintendo fund Bayonetta sequels? Would Netflix pay for The Irishman? But multiplat is the future of gaming and meltdowns over it is a bit much.

And while I don't exactly see meltdowns over it here, there are plenty of you who pretty much hate Tim Sweeney and the Epic Store because you can't play the games on your favorite launcher. Is that really much different? It's just games.
Complaining about what epic is doing is pretty much the opposite to the horizon situation. When we complain about epic we complain that not everyone can play the game they want where they want. So when a company has that as goal then yeah it's pretty reasonably to dislike them.

Status
Not open for further replies.