Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Dragon ball deserves a better publisher than bamco's cheap ass. I'm going through kakarot now and there's SO much missing whether it's content from the show, animations, or dialogue. I feel like if it wasn't for spending so much time flying around collecting orbs I'd be almost done with the game already, there's really not a lot there at least through the saiyan saga and part of namek. Side quests are all typical japanese game fetch quest junk too.

Reactions: QFNS and MJunioR

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Dragon ball deserves a better publisher than bamco's cheap ass. I'm going through kakarot now and there's SO much missing whether it's content from the show, animations, or dialogue. I feel like if it wasn't for spending so much time flying around collecting orbs I'd be almost done with the game already, there's really not a lot there at least through the saiyan saga and part of namek. Side quests are all typical japanese game fetch quest junk too.
I'm really not sure what people expected from Kakarot. It looked like "Xenoverse 3 but without the character customization" from the get go.

Hopefully it gets better later?

Last edited:
Reactions: Spamlynguist

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Tried my second Mobile game today. (after pokemon go a year ago)

Azure Lane

Looks very deep and extensive don't know about the f2p stuff, but didn't come into a barrier yet where I had nothing to do unless I spend xyz.
Battle system isn't to my liking though, don't like bullet hell shmups very much.
Would much more prefer a game that has a more tactical combat like Daiteikoku or so.
Try Arknights. It just came out several days ago and basically tower defense game.

Reactions: DeejayDoom

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Everything you said can be seen from miles away, ever since their gameplay showcase some time ago.

Japanese devs are so decades behind when it comes to side quest design in RPGs.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'm really not sure what people expected from Kakarot. It looked like "Xenoverse 3 but without the character customization" from the get go.

Hopefully it gets better later?
Everything you said can be seen from miles away, ever since their gameplay showcase some time ago.

Japanese devs are so decades behind when it comes to side quest design in RPGs.
Yeah I'm not surprised by any of it just continuously frustrated that bamco gets away with being such cheapskates with all of their games. That's mostly why everyone was so surprised by how good tales of arise looked, but mark my words they will find a way to cut corners with that game.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Yeah I'm not surprised by any of it just continuously frustrated that bamco gets away with being such cheapskates with all of their games. That's mostly why everyone was so surprised by how good tales of arise looked, but mark my words they will find a way to cut corners with that game.
Yeah, I have my expectations in check for Tales of Arise. But nevertheless, at least it's a new story and adventure. Unlike Kakarot which I have seen and read so many times, there's no excitement anymore in the story. When there's no fun factor in the story, all that matters is the gameplay and writing, and yet they failed to deliver those too. It's a bland game in the end.

Reactions: PC-tan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
For those that play mobile games do the tutorials of mobile games turn you away from them?

When ever I play a new mobile game it feels like it takes more than 30 minutes to get to what the game is actually like. And that is very bad for a mobile game, which are meant to be a pick up and drop sort of thing (5 min increments type of stuff).

I tried the Arknight game and the issues that I had with the game was that it was pretty big (over 1GB, which I guess is normal for mobile games now?) but that it also took me a while till I got to a place where I could "leave and come back" but not it was just straight up tutorials for over 20 min and even then I didn't finish.

This is not just mobile games but some other games in general as well where I just want to try the game and get a feel for it and decide if I want to continue playing, but I just do not always have enough time to reach the next check point before I have to stop playing the game.
Alright, thank you all for voting!
When did voting officially end?

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
When did voting officially end?

If you have not voted yet, you could submit your ballot now (because I sent you the form, I recall), and I will do as if it was all fine.

Make sure to tell me though, or I could miss it. Edit: Okay, I see it. VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
You know, with the left-over games from last year alone (let's not talk about the left-over games from earlier :whistle: ) and having just bought the Humble Australia Bundle I'm pretty sure I'm technically already set for the entire year 😅
There are soooo many good games :sweaty-blob:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
You know, with the left-over games from last year alone (let's not talk about the left-over games from earlier :whistle: ) and having just bought the Humble Australia Bundle I'm pretty sure I'm technically already set for the entire year 😅
Yeah my plan for this year is pretty much just buy humble choices and spend the year on backlog games. Well I always say that but get distracted by new shiny games haha.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
So I finished the first dungeon/palace in Persona 5, great stuff, but now I have come to the part where I have to wait 11 days for a change of heart in order to continue the story, which is pure bullshit, I have no idea what Im gonna do to wait all those days. This just killed all my motivation to play which is sad as I have so far found P5 to be a great game.
Dude, there's so much stuff to do, especially the social links. Usually people end up wishing they had more free days.

Reactions: PC-tan and Echoes

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Ooh, this looks promising, very Thief-like but also completely different. I had no idea New Blood Interactive (Dusk, Amid Evil, Maximum Action,) is involved!

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Dude, there's so much stuff to do, especially the social links. Usually people end up wishing they had more free days.
Yeah, there was not enough time to do most of the stuff. Fuck you Morgana!
On gthe contrary, most of the time the game is pretty much railroaded.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I certainly remember shouting "stop stealing my fucking evenings" at the game at some point because I had things I wanted to do but they were cut-scened away. Although in the end I put the game down because it outstayed its welcome in a big way.

Reactions: MJunioR

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I certainly remember shouting "stop stealing my fucking evenings" at the game at some point because I had things I wanted to do but they were cut-scened away. Although in the end I put the game down because it outstayed its welcome in a big way.
There's a social link that unlocks the ability to go out at night, you should prioritize it.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
My PS Plus expired 4 days ago and I didn't notice until I jsut received an email about it.

Only shitty thing is no more Nitro-Fueled online play, so I hope the game comes to PC and the occasional PS Plus exclusive discounts.

Deleted member 113

Is there any place where I can catch up with the story of Grim Dawn up to the end of act 2 (or, that has the intro + cutscenes from the end of acts 1 or 2)?

I'm on act 3, but like frequently happens in the last couple of years I had a period of time where I was unable to play, and now I'm "lost" in terms of plot of the game.
I mean, I remember a few things, but others (like even the names of the bad guys) are long gone.

Usually, that would make me re-start the game, but considering it's a long game, that I already re-started before, I'm hoping to catch up, so I can finally proceed with it. ;)

thanks

Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019
Finished The Outer Worlds after 29h.

What an incredibly mediocre RPG. Not a lot of bad stuff I can say about it but neither a lot of good stuff.

• lack of different weapons/armor and enemy variety is lacking as well
  • average story with average writing
  • bland companions
  • no memorable quests
  • a lot of empty areas

No idea how that game ended up on so many GOTY lists. Thanks EGS and Game Pass for having saved me from paying full price for this game.

Deleted member 113

I didn't submit GOTY entries either (sorry, Wok) because I honestly don't remember what the hell I played this year, in terms of 2019 games. Especially ones worthy of the distinction.

My 2018 GOTY was Hitman 2.
In 2019, I played... Hitman 2. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Oh, and things like digital pinball, Grim Dawn (2016), Two Point Hospital (2018), and other "older" games.

Reading about most people's selections, it seems I didn't play any of the big 2019 games, but even if I had, I would still say 2019 was a very mediocre year, with far less "worthy" games than 2018, in terms of my preferences.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I feel guilty about my GOTY selection, given that I didn't play a couple of very acclaimed games. I haven't been able to push through Disco Elysium for instance, but I like what I'm seeing so far. I'm just stuck on Outward and Kingmaker which are both really wonderful, if a little tedious somethings for the former.

Mutant : Year Zero is also a hell of a good surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

And, speaking of games of the decade, here are some of my personal favourites.
As usual, I surely forgot about some of them, so in a few minutes I would probably change the whole list. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I hate doing "Top" something's. :giggle:

I selected 22 games, but since it's supposed to be a top 10, I selected 10, and placed 12 as "honourable mentions" (which means, again, that in a few minutes I would probably change the whole list, and switch games from both lists).

My top 10 (in no order):

Fallout: New Vegas
Mass Effect 2
Sleeping Dogs
Life Is Strange
Hitman 2
Grim Dawn
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Resident Evil 6
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours

Honourable Mentions:

Alpha Protocol
Dishonored
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Overload
The Wolf Among Us
Binary Domain
Yakuza 0
NieR:Automata
Two Point Hospital
Far Cry 5
L.A. Noire
Satellite Reign

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
You are starting act 3 in Grim Dawn FunktionJCB ?
Where are you on the game map to help me remember ? I can try to spoiler tag my very cloudy memories of the game.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

You are starting act 3 in Grim Dawn FunktionJCB ?
Where are you on the game map to help me remember ? I can try to spoiler tag my very cloudy memories of the game.
I'm not sure. :giggle:

I'm in mid-act 3, near a bridge, so I basically want to rewatch the videos of the ends of act 1 and 2, to remember the names.
I remember the enemy I defeated at the end of act 1, but not the one on act 2.

To be clear: I vaguely remember the events, but not the names of the factions/enemies/...

I already re-started the game 3 or 4 times, so I was hoping to avoid doing that again. :giggle:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
And, speaking of games of the decade, here are some of my personal favourites.
As usual, I surely forgot about some of them, so in a few minutes I would probably change the whole list. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I hate doing "Top" something's. :giggle:

I selected 22 games, but since it's supposed to be a top 10, I selected 10, and placed 12 as "honourable mentions" (which means, again, that in a few minutes I would probably change the whole list, and switch games from both lists).

My top 10 (in no order):

Fallout: New Vegas
Mass Effect 2
Sleeping Dogs
Life Is Strange
Hitman 2
Grim Dawn
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Resident Evil 6
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours

Honourable Mentions:

Alpha Protocol
Dishonored
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Overload
The Wolf Among Us
Binary Domain
Yakuza 0
NieR:Automata
Two Point Hospital
Far Cry 5
L.A. Noire
Satellite Reign
Damn, I forgot about Dragonfall. What an incredible story that was. The wham moment in it was really well-paced. It managed to capture that Deux Ex-sense of conspiracy and mystery.

Deleted member 113

Damn, I forgot about Dragonfall. What an incredible story that was. The wham moment in it was really well-paced. It managed to capture that Deux Ex-sense of conspiracy and mystery.
I enjoyed all 3 Shadowrun games. Yes, even Returns, which many people seemed to dislike. :)
In terms of the actual story (not gameplay), I would maybe even rank Returns above Hong Kong.

I kind of wish the developers stuck with that series a little longer (maybe having a small dedicated team making shorter expansions).
The combination of setting, nice narratives, and X-Com "light" combat was something I greatly enjoyed.

I have to check fan modifications one of these days.
The last time I tried some, most were very "undercooked" and lacking polish.
Hopefully, things improved on that front.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I enjoyed all 3 Shadowrun games. Yes, even Returns, which many people seemed to dislike. :)
In terms of the actual story (not gameplay), I would maybe even rank Returns above Hong Kong.

I kind of wish the developers stuck with that series a little longer (maybe having a small dedicated team making shorter expansions).
The combination of setting, nice narratives, and X-Com "light" combat was something I greatly enjoyed.

I have to check fan modifications one of these days.
The last time I tried some, most were very "undercooked" and lacking polish.
Hopefully, things improved on that front.
Hong Kong didn't manage to capture the magic of DF in my opinion, the writing was just too sinister and the teeth thing... Nope!

But returns? It was fine by me. I'd rank them the same as you : DF best of all, followed by Returns and then HK. I do think it's a series that needed a better technical basis and larger budget for better production values, something not unlike what Kingmaker does with, if I'm not mistaken, Obsidian's isometric, unity-based engine.

It's one of the few projects I'd be very interested in kickstarting if they ever went that route again.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm not sure. :giggle:

I'm in mid-act 3, near a bridge, so I basically want to rewatch the videos of the ends of act 1 and 2, to remember the names.
I remember the enemy I defeated at the end of act 1, but not the one on act 2.

To be clear: I vaguely remember the events, but not the names of the factions/enemies/...

I already re-started the game 3 or 4 times, so I was hoping to avoid doing that again. :giggle:
Hmm, I don't clearly remember but let's write some basic stuff, by memory and with the help of the wiki.
The first act of Grim Dawn is set in the swamps and backwaters of Burrwitch. The main town is Devil's Crossing.
Grim Dawn's Act 2 is set in the ancient ruins of Old Arkovia and involves dealing with the threat to Devil's Crossing posed by Cronley's Gang.
Act 3 involves reaching Homestead.

There are two major enemy factions, the Aetherials and the Chtonians. Aetherials just invaded the world by possessing the decisions takers of society before opening the gate to their main forces.
The Chtonians are dark powers between dimensions, yeah, it's basically Cthulhu with an added blood addiction.

In act 1 you took off the main aetherial-possessed guy in the region. In act 2 you were bored to death while the game took a western vibe and you had to take out a gang of outlaws. And you visited the ruins of an ancient empire that was cursed by an immortal necromant. Shit is complicated, necro wasn't cool but the empire neither.
Now I can't situate you with this bridge stuff but you must be either looking for Homestead, to ask them for food for Devil's Crossing, or you have talked to them already.

Maybe useless recap, but it's a start I think.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Here is the best Ongoing game of 2019:

The best Early Access game:

The best VR game:

The biggest disappointment:

So far I'm ok with the choices, maybe I would change VR for Pistol Whip or Boneworks but Beat Saber is also a really great option, and yes, while I said I was going to vote, in the end I didn't send my list for various reasons. But, you all have good taste so far hehe

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im not sure if it short, standard or long time, but it has taken me 7h15min to reach the second palace (Madamre) in P5.

Deleted member 113

Hmm, I don't clearly remember but let's write some basic stuff, by memory and with the help of the wiki.
The first act of Grim Dawn is set in the swamps and backwaters of Burrwitch. The main town is Devil's Crossing.
Grim Dawn's Act 2 is set in the ancient ruins of Old Arkovia and involves dealing with the threat to Devil's Crossing posed by Cronley's Gang.
Act 3 involves reaching Homestead.

There are two major enemy factions, the Aetherials and the Chtonians. Aetherials just invaded the world by possessing the decisions takers of society before opening the gate to their main forces.
The Chtonians are dark powers between dimensions, yeah, it's basically Cthulhu with an added blood addiction.

In act 1 you took off the main aetherial-possessed guy in the region. In act 2 you were bored to death while the game took a western vibe and you had to take out a gang of outlaws. And you visited the ruins of an ancient empire that was cursed by an immortal necromant. Shit is complicated, necro wasn't cool but the empire neither.
Now I can't situate you with this bridge stuff but you must be either looking for Homestead, to ask them for food for Devil's Crossing, or you have talked to them already.

Maybe useless recap, but it's a start I think.
Thanks, Li Kao. (y)
That helps.
I meant to remember the names of the enemy factions (in particular, the Aetherials), and the name of the bad guy from act 2 (Cronley).

It saddens me a bit.
I love the game, but every time I drop 20 hours or so on it, I then usually have weeks or a month where I barely play (for professional reasons), and when I go back to it there's a lot I don't remember.
I wish I could experience the game in full without these forced "breaks".

Reactions: Li Kao

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I have preordered Doom Eternal and Cyberpunk, so that's a lot of gaming right there. Then there's the Deus Ex series (only played the first one), Ys (played 1, 2, Felghana, and the TG-16 version of 3), Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, Yakuza Kiwami 2, the Silent Hill series (played 1 and Shattered Memories), MGS Peace Walker and 5, The Witcher (never finished 1), and a lot more.

I'm also trying to get a Valve Index, which is why I've been buying so many VR games lately. I own most of the biggest ones on Steam, including HL Alyx, Boneworks and Beat Saber (tried it at a friend's and it's the best thing ever), so I could stop buying games forever and I'd have enough to last my entire life. Which won't happen, of course, but it's nice to know it could haha.

Also, I didn't vote for the GOTY or GOTD. It's hard to choose between so many good games, and I missed a lot of big and critically acclaimed titles, so my list would appear incomplete. One thing I can say with 100% confidence is that Life Is Strange would be #1 in any of those lists.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Pity me people, I want to slap myself (with a large trout) sometimes. SE announced Bravely Default II for 2020. Now a sane person would play that. Some would maybe play End Layer (1.5). Others, and that's what I planned on doing, would play Bravely I.

Then I remembered the franchise history and started The 4 Heroes of Light on NDS.
There was a line in the sand and I rushed past it with mindless abandon :cryblob:

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Pity me people, I want to slap myself (with a large trout) sometimes. SE announced Bravely Default II for 2020. Now a sane person would play that. Some would maybe play End Layer (1.5). Others, and that's what I planned on doing, would play Bravely I.

Then I remembered the franchise history and started The 4 Heroes of Light on NDS.
There was a line in the sand and I rushed past it with mindless abandon :cryblob:
What? But Bravely Second released some years ago. Is it a new game or a port?

Status
Not open for further replies.