Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
It's from that Russian leaker who also called the Death Stranding PC version and Cyberpunk 2077 delay.
I mean why not at this point?

Both Horizon and BotW have sold as much as they can sell on their consoles.

Why not release them on PC and bring in several hundred million in revenue. Both Nintendo and Sony have already gotten into mobile gaming. And kind of successful with it. I don't see people complain too much with their mobile stuff.

PC is the one space where both haven't attempted to make money in. The market is huge and both want to attract the Chinese market too. PC is the easiest way to do that.

If its a steam release I could see Horizon sell like 4 million and BotW with mod support could probably do 6-8.

Reactions: lashman

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

Asia market is a complete 180 degrees from US market huh.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Can you imagine. A PC port by Nintendo? Koei-Tecmo, watch out. There’s new competitor in town. Or, better yet, they’ll let KT do it for them since they often work with Nintendo and have experience in the PC space. Full on monkey paw.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
My first experience of the Steam Controller with 4 hours of Atelier Firis:

The controller itself is passable, the right pad might be good for consolized strategy games but I miss the right thumbstick for easy controls of the camera angle. The right pad isn't really that great for changing the camera constantly like in Ateliers case.
The left dpad is sometimes too hard to click and othertimes it is not apart enough to count a direction upwards instead of sideways. I constantly go sideways or up/down when I wanted the opposite because the pad is too big.
For the right touchpad use Trackball mode and set Trackball friction to low. Set the sensitivity to a value at which you will be able to comfortably aim at whatever is on screen and do small changes in direction. For big changes in direction, 180s and such you should be 'flicking' the trackball towards the direction you want and stopping by touching the touchpad again after the flick.

Reactions: C-Dub

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I got no Reddit account so I'd like to ask some questions from ehre if that's OK
Of course.
1- Would you be interested in working on porting older PC and console games from the 1990s and 2000s?
Yes, but I think the business case for that is really hard to make. It takes more work for a product that will probably sell less (and that you might not be able to ask a high price for).
2- Name....10 games from the past 25 years you would like to see get ported to PC
Whoa.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (this thing would still totally hold up, especially in gameplay and mostly even in graphics)
Suikoden 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Ar Tonelico 1, 2 and 3
Mana Khemia 1 and 2

That's 11 games but who cares :p

3- Have you attempted to blackmailconvince Rising Star Games to work on the PC port of Deadly Premonition?
I can't blackmail anyone, and while I'd love to see a good port on that we don't even much capacity for extra work left right now.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Can you imagine. A PC port by Nintendo? Koei-Tecmo, watch out. There’s new competitor in town. Or, better yet, they’ll let KT do it for them since they often work with Nintendo and have experience in the PC space. Full on monkey paw.
Just don't buy it in the first week. Wait for the patch that adds M/KB support and then pick it up :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: PC-tan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Nintendo will probably be weird and port all their games to a chinese PC sold exclusively in China or something :p
Seeing how Tencent is involved with Nintendo, this is a possibility.

Sure Tencent is now distributing the N/S in China legally, but that may not end up taking off very far.

PC is still more popular than consoles in China. And well there is a lot of money to be made in China.

Who was it again that was selling the Nvidia Shield in China with GameCube games? Was it Tencent?

So if it did become a think it might be China only and done through WeGames and not through Steam or Steam China (Perfect World).

As for units of the game sold, 1 million is a safe bet.

I mean why not at this point?

Both Horizon and BotW have sold as much as they can sell on their consoles.

Why not release them on PC and bring in several hundred million in revenue. Both Nintendo and Sony have already gotten into mobile gaming. And kind of successful with it. I don't see people complain too much with their mobile stuff.

PC is the one space where both haven't attempted to make money in. The market is huge and both want to attract the Chinese market too. PC is the easiest way to do that.

If its a steam release I could see Horizon sell like 4 million and BotW with mod support could probably do 6-8.
Depending on the game I doubt the number would be that high on PC.

One thing that we can agree on at least is that if Bloodborne ever released on PC that game would sell over 3 millions units. 3 million for a fromsoft game on PC is not unheard of.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Sokpop collective (Steam Search) has spammed "released" around 40-50 games yesterday. When i look at the store pages they all have release dates in 2019. What happened? Why is this allowed?
They released their entire catalogue at the same time while indicating each game original release date on the store page. Nothing wrong with it, I think, a lot of old '90s games do that.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I think a really good BotW port could actually really end up selling 5 million units on Steam, or even more (not at full price, but eventually).
I also don't think it will happen, if Nintendo were to port their games (which in itself seems unlikely) they'd most likely build their own platform.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (this thing would still totally hold up, especially in gameplay and mostly even in graphics)
Ar Tonelico 1, 2 and 3
Mana Khemia 1 and 2

You could remove Suikoden IV from that list and nothing would be lost. If anything it'd be a positive move. And that would get you down to ten games!

But seriously, help NISA bring the rest of the Disgaea games to PC, please.

Reactions: lashman and PC-tan

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Of course.
Yes, but I think the business case for that is really hard to make. It takes more work for a product that will probably sell less (and that you might not be able to ask a high price for).
Whoa.

Ar Tonelico 1, 2 and 3
Mana Khemia 1 and 2

I can't blackmail anyone, and while I'd love to see a good port on that we don't even much capacity for extra work left right now.
Thanks for the replies! Will consider giving the ar tonelico games a play someday.

One techniccal question I neglected to ask if you don't mind me asking it now: What are the limitations of Sparse Grid Super Sampling AA? Why aren't more games on PC utilizing this AA method?
I think a really good BotW port could actually really end up selling 5 million units on Steam, or even more (not at full price, but eventually).
I also don't think it will happen, if Nintendo were to port their games (which in itself seems unlikely) they'd most likely build their own platform.
I don't mind a Nintendo launcher long as it got community stuff like on Steam activity feed etc.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
if Nintendo were to port their games (which in itself seems unlikely) they'd most likely build their own platform.
TBH, at the end of the day all the companies will follow the MS scheme and will have their own platforms but also sell in multiple other platforms to catch all possible customers (let's not forget that brand loyalty might be toxic in some cases but in others is as simple as that person using just one brand and living happily with that choice)

So yeah, MS, Sony and in the future Nintendo they will all follow the same rules:
-have your own platform (ecosystem + max. profit)
-sell on other platforms such as Steam, EGS or GOG to get as many people as possible that are not interested in your ecosystem but your software.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
TBH, at the end of the day all the companies will follow the MS scheme and will have their own platforms but also sell in multiple other platforms to catch all possible customers (let's not forget that brand loyalty might be toxic in some cases but in others is as simple as that person using just one brand and living happily with that choice)

So yeah, MS, Sony and in the future Nintendo they will all follow the same rules:
-have your own platform (ecosystem + max. profit)
-sell on other platforms such as Steam, EGS or GOG to get as many people as possible that are not interested in your ecosystem but your software.
I agree with you, that really seems the course for the 3 console companies. This will be a major change of landscape. Let's brace ourselves :D

Reactions: Mor

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Secondly, HDR is limited to 60hz on a TV right? Cuz HDMI2.0 limitations?
Isn’t it 30hz max for HDR ? At least it’s that way when I plug the PC on the TV, maybe the TV by itself can do 60.

Deleted member 113

I wouldn't really have a problem with Nintendo/Xbox/Playstation launchers (a scenario that makes sense to these companies, profit-wise), and having to buy their titles from there.
I wouldn't even particularly care if they had achievements and similar functionalities, to be honest.

But, there's one thing that worries me in that scenario: having (or not) access to my games in the near future. Essentially, what console users experience with "backwards compatibility", or lack of.
As all of you surely know, on PC, if you bought your games 10-12 years ago on Steam, GOG, on similar places, or purely as a direct download from a developer, you are still able to play your games with no problems. Older titles may need a tweak or two (and usually, there's tools and a community helping users setting these things up), but you can still install and play your games, and in years to come.

Companies like Nintendo love to make their users having to re-buy their games on every console they purchase. How would that work on PC?
If Nintendo had a launcher (even if it is to sell their older games, like NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube/GB/GBC/GBA/NDS titles), and there were no limitations in terms of downloads, and there was some assurance that they wouldn't simply change their platform/structure a few years later, and people would be left without access to their purchases, I would happily use it.

But again, this is a company that loves to repackage, and re-sell the same product over and over. You bought Super Mario World on the Nintendo Wii store, and bought a Wii U or Switch? Yeah, tough luck, if you want to play Super Mario World again on that console, you need to buy it again.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Yeah, no problem with using a Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo launcher as it would be used for 1st party games just like I don't have any problems with Fortnite only being on EGS.

However, I would prefer to buy their games on Steam, so it's fantastic MS took the Steam road too.

If Playstation happens to go EGS only, Im not sure if I would have any problems with it, but it would be weird. Playstation going to PC would, I assume, be about expanding the playerbase which should mean a Steam release as I assume Playstation have researched enough to know that the biggest PC playerbase is found on Steam, not Epic.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Quantic Dream's games and Sony own published games didn't make it to top 10 on EGS. It sold less than Microsoft game that also available on Gamepass and a meme game. If they really want to get PC market they'll want to not make it exclusive.

PS : wow EGS thread on page 2.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Oof, finalizing my votes for GOTD and it's tougher than I expected. 5 games I really enjoyed will not make the cut one way or the other.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I feel scared that Satisfactory won't get a Stram release because it's one of the games that has sold well on EGS and there's no confirmation that it will get a Steam release. Devs have been like "it may or may not, we might just not release it on Steam" and any Steam release question has been answered on their Twitter and FB with "Steam? What's that"?

Well, 2 months to go.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Yeah, no problem with using a Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo launcher as it would be used for 1st party games just like I don't have any problems with Fortnite only being on EGS.

However, I would prefer to buy their games on Steam, so it's fantastic MS took the Steam road too.

If Playstation happens to go EGS only, Im not sure if I would have any problems with it, but it would be weird. Playstation going to PC would, I assume, be about expanding the playerbase which should mean a Steam release as I assume Playstation have researched enough to know that the biggest PC playerbase is found on Steam, not Epic.
I mean, in the pre-Steam days, Sony would just release pc games through one of its own labels (SOE or whatever thats referred to as now, as an example or psygnosis). I don't see Sony needing to hop on the EGS wagon when they have experience with digital distribution and the platform isn't completely foreign to them. Slap together their own PC application for store/launching, call it PSPC and start porting PS exclusives (and then Drakan Ancient Gate please!).

Nintendo, would either make the oddest launcher/store yet; but on its own, or partner with another studio who has more experience to help them make the platform. Either way I don't see them putting anything on a third party store unless it's a humble/gmg style setup where it links you back into their ecosystem

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I feel scared that Satisfactory won't get a Stram release because it's one of the games that has sold well on EGS and there's no confirmation that it will get a Steam release. Devs have been like "it may or may not, we might just not release it on Steam" and any Steam release question has been answered on their Twitter and FB with "Steam? What's that"?

Well, 2 months to go.
Uh, I have a hard time imagining a dev, dumb as he may or may not be, passing on a big potential market.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

Well, 2 months to go.
That and World War Z.
I mean, in the pre-Steam days, Sony would just release pc games through one of its own labels (SOE or whatever thats referred to as now, as an example or psygnosis). I don't see Sony needing to hop on the EGS wagon when they have experience with digital distribution and the platform isn't completely foreign to them. Slap together their own PC application for store/launching, call it PSPC and start porting PS exclusives (and then Drakan Ancient Gate please!).

Nintendo, would either make the oddest launcher/store yet; but on its own, or partner with another studio who has more experience to help them make the platform. Either way I don't see them putting anything on a third party store unless it's a humble/gmg style setup where it links you back into their ecosystem
Ugh Nintendo can't even make their Eshop good. PSN look like a masterpiece compared to Eshop.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Here are my GOTD picks.
The lack of other high-quality titles is more a sign of negligence of gaming on my part rather than opposition.

Revealed content
1. Mass Effect 2
A milestone title that adds much-needed personal stakes in form of party side-quests, upheaving the gravitas of a universe in peril to ne new heights. Some qualites of the first game get watered down by the desire of a more blockbuster experience but as a whole package it was hard to not get attached and immersed in the finely crafted world and its inhabitants. Superb DLC washed away the ending's sour taste and leaves this epic tale as one of the best action-RPGs of all time.
2. DARK SOULS™: Prepare To Die Edition
3. Spelunky
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5. Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2
6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
7. Batman: Arkham Asylum
8. Alien: Isolation
9. Dishonored
10. Arma 3

LiS2 better be on one of those lists :disapproval-blob:
😅 From what I've read so far, it totally would.... if I had played it. And for that matter even the first, haha. 🤗🤗
So many supposedly great games still left to even try.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
In the last region of Nioh now. Game is still enjoyable but the game also wastes its potential a lot.

Well, 2 months to go.
It will either come in 2 months, once it is out of Early Access or never

Only time will make it sure

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Uh, I have a hard time imagining a dev, dumb as he may or may not be, passing on a big potential market.
I don't know about that. For me it's 50/50 whether they will or won't given the communications and videos they've put out ... I've honestly no idea which way they'll go.

Much as i would love to do Meta Co-Op Satisfactory and create masterworks like this...

I've got so many games to play i can miss this one like i miss the thousands of others released each year.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
As long as this still exist, I will have hope:

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
The Satisfactory community manager is just a pathetic troll, ignore him. Going on the sales data, no idea how accurate it is, sales have dried up dramatically since the initial rush paid for by Epic out if their own pocket and the game still isn't out of EA. To not launch on Steam as soon as possible would be finacial malfeasance.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
The Satisfactory community manager is just a pathetic troll, ignore him. Going on the sales data, no idea how accurate it is, sales have dried up dramatically since the initial rush paid for by Epic out if their own pocket and the game still isn't out of EA. To not launch on Steam as soon as possible would be finacial malfeasance.
The line of thinking around here would have also said taking teh EGS money in the first place was stupid, so it's not hard to see why people might worry.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I manged to get my votes in before the deadline.

PC GotY 2019

5. Outward
Not particularly polished but really unique in today's gaming landscape, great fun to complete in coop.

4. Code Vein
It was billed as anime souls and it was anime souls. Unlike some other soulslikes, didn't forget the coop. Fun!

3. AI: The Somnium Files
Cool story bro.

2. Minoria
Not quite as amazing overall as Momodora IV (which was my GotY then), but still an awesome well-paced Metroidvania.

1. Disco Elysium
It's the most interesting take on the genre (whatever the genre is) that I've played in years.

PC GotD 2010

Note: This list is unsorted except for #1, and I tried to vary the genres and subgenres a bit and to not choose more than one game in a franchise.

x. Ys Origin
I'm putting this on the list due to the 2012 English language Steam release. Still my favourite ARPG of it's style, fantastically fluid and a joy to play.

x. Age of Wonders III
I thought a while about which game to chose to represent the 4X genre, and I settled on AoWIII. It has everything, great deep gameplay, polish, and a story-driven campaign.

x. Prey
My favourite entry in the immersive sim (sub-)genre in this decade. The Deus Exes and Dishonoreds were good as well, but not quite the same.

x. Portal 2
Great humor, great story, great coop, great gameplay, great production values. It's rare to see such a well-balanced game.

x. Divinity: Original Sin
I had to choose between this and its sequel here, and while D:OS2 is also fantastic, I feel like the original had the greatest impact.

x. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Shadowrun is my favourite tabletop RPG setting, and while Hong Kong is also great, Harebrained Schemes really knocked it out of the park with this one.

x. Might & Magic X - Legacy
My favourite party-based first person blobber RPG of the decade. It was a short-lived revival, but not one I'll forget.

x. DARK SOULS™ II
I choose this one to represent Dark Souls in this list. All 3 are great but this is my favourite.

x. Pillars of Eternity
From the first teaser of the kickstarter to the final release of the last major update, this was one of the most joyful events of the decade for me. The second game was also great, but a similar argument as for Divinity OS applies.

1. EXAPUNKS
Everything about this game is made for me. The setting, the story, the style, and of course the gameplay.
EXA. PUNKS.
(Also, I just think of this as subsuming all other Zachtronics games, so that my list doesn't become boring ;))

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

tl;dr:

Silent said:
Remake of Yakuza 2, ported from PS4 to PC in May 2019 enhanced gameplay experience by lifting a 30 FPS lock, allowing PC users to better leverage their hardware. This was generally fine, but also introduced some issues to the game. While the ones like exaggerated physics are not trivially fixable, issues with some minigames have been fixed in an official patch by limiting them to 60 FPS. That said, this not only is mostly redundant, but also not always correct – most notably, Toylets minigame is still essentially unplayable. To make matters worse, the way frame limiting was performed was notoriously flawed and introduced noticeable frame pacing issues.

Featured fixes:
Bug fixes
  • Frame pacing has been drastically improved when “Framelimit” option is not set to “Unlimited”
  • Toylets minigame has been capped to 30 FPS, essentially making it playable without having to change game settings
  • Arcade games are now forcibly capped to 60 FPS, even if “Framelimit” option is set to 30 FPS in options
  • The following minigames have been capped by the official patch for no reason and have been uncapped again now:
    • Karaoke
    • Mahjong
    • Oicho Kabu
    • Cee-lo
    • Colliseum (menu only)
    • Batting
    • Darts
    • Blackjack
    • Poker
    • Koi-koi

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Hmm let's see.

Satisfactory was released on March 2019.

On June 2019 it already sold 507k copies

From PlayTracker we knew that on 2019 Satisfactory sold 644 copies, so 140k copies in half a year, with 2 mega sales.

Yeah it's front loaded.

We don't know about Ashen but Supergiant seems really happy with Hades' performance on Steam.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I'm trying to remember what I enjoyed this year. I haven't played much.

Dicey Dungeons is an automatic. Short Hike for sure. Control. Hades for EA.

Can I vote for Shovel Knight King of Cards?

Supraland! Can't forget that.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Financially it makes no sense for Satisfactory to stay exclusive after looking at Hades performance on Steam. The only reason would be if they want to sacrifice themselves to make a 12% cut the norm.
Stick with Tim to try and get another EGS payday for their follow up game? Or maybe angle for a buyout? Those, of course only if they stay egsclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.