Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com

EA confirms that Respawn Entertainment will work new Star Wars titles
  • next Star Wars Jedi game
  • new Star Wars FPS game
  • new Star Wars strategy game

Respawn will directly develop the next Star Wars Jedi title and the new Star Wars FPS (led by Peter Hirschmann)
The Star Wars strategy game will be published by Respawn and developed by the newly formed studio Bit Reactor (former Fireaxis Games lead devs)

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Hard to take anything this guy says seriously if he thinks Half Life 2 was mediocre, or didn't inspire a ton of games. Hell, I can't even list the number of mods for HL2 that become their own games.
This rando just comes across as a pretty mindless contrarian.
I think Ive seen this doc guy before, I just cant seem to remember where., if it was a positive or negative setting...

Anyway–I think when you dont personally like a game, just writing "well I dont like it, it doesnt click with me" is more honest rather than trying to criticise it by saying "it doesnt innovate much" or "its not very influential". thats just seems like youre grasping for arguments because you dont like something but know you cannot argue on that merit alone, and you also know the game itself is absolutely fine...but you still wanna "attack" it.
that feeling is probably amplified if lots of people like it but you just dont.
its fine if you dont like something popluar or well-received. its fine if you want innovation all the time... I guess what Im trying to say is...try not to be weird about it? ;)

also, HL2 was plenty innovative. and even when I first played it, which was probably 15 years after it came out, it was a great experience, and it was evident that it had influenced tons of games since it came out.)

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Re: docsquiddy discussion. He's technically right if you view things really cynically. I think it's a valid viewpoint. But in that case I don't want to hear praise for any games besides Tetris, Boneworks, Trespasser, Zelda 1, etc. The minute they praise some smaller studio game that also does nothing new, that's a NAH.

What I'm saying is either docsquiddy loves Trespasser (which is valid) or he's a complete fraud.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I mean, you could say that Shipbreaker just took the choppy-up mechanic from Jedi Knight & MGS-Raiden and put it on spaceships.

All things aside, i can see where he's coming from and he's being hypercritical and reductionist but eh, it's what he's paid for, it's his job as a designer but i do disagree that the "one-shot" camera take was easy to do in God of Boi and that HL2 was not influential and/or was mediocre.

• Eyes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Death Stranding was innovative

And it fucking sucked
Look, you telling me you never wanted to know what it fees like to become an Amazon delivery driver (including the ability to pee into whatever bottles or other objects you want), while living in a dystopian world as imagined by HIDEO KOJIMA, presented by HIDEO KOJIMA, written by HIDEO KOJIMA and produced by HIDEO KOJIMA? You really want me to believe you never thought about that once ?
(btw, in case I didn't mention it, HIDEO KOJIMA made this)

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
While we're on the topic of TLOU - how the hell did people play that game on PS3? It runs so bad I had to abandon it completely.

• Eyes

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I can’t believe what I’ve started
Look I just find GOW and TLOU overrated ok which I’ve said before 😅
And thats fine, if you dont like it, nothing wrong with it. Plenty stuff that people like, praise etc and that I find very weird. Tastes and all that :)
The key takeaway really is how you frame it. Doc seems to believe his stance is objectively correct, but it cannot be. The rating of any media will always be subjective to you.

Sony exclusives get a lot of weird overhype fan praise, I am sure that leads to more alienation if you dont like a game.

Hm but I think I said all that in my previous post :p

Anyway, Speaking about The Last of Us proper, my first reaction to the reveal trailer (way back when that was first shown) was "oh this is just a zombie-setting action game, just with really well-done animations"
and it sorta is – but I loved it anyway! it didnt do much new, but it was just a good game - it played well, it was incredibly polished, and I liked the story, characters and setting on top of the gameplay mix. from what I heard about TLOU2, Im curious if I'll like it was much as the first one.

Really looking forward to playing both of them with mouse aiming once Sony ports it to PC (hopefully soon) :D

AHA-Lambda i actually agree with you on TLOU, it frustrated me so much because it lacked in so many ways.
I wonder what it lacked for you?

Because I think thats also very personal. Its one thing what you expect from a game (or, when you play it, what direction you wish the game would go) – its another thing what the game turned out.
And I guess often a trailer overpromises and the game just turns out different after a long development process where stuff gets axed, storylines trimmed or whatever. Just look at Cyberpunk. A lot of people expected waaay too much from it because it got so hyped.

While we're on the topic of TLOU - how the hell did people play that game on PS3? It runs so bad I had to abandon it completely.
Yeaah it didnt run so well, true. Still remarkable what they achieved on that old hardware. Another reason I'm looking forward to a PC version :)

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I dont think that there are many big blockbuster AAA games that actually innovate much, probably could list a few but mostly they are made with tried and tested mechanics to shift as many copies as possible. Especially these days where fancy graphics seem to be the main priority.

Indie games is where i find more innovation.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
LEANIJA I remember hating one thing about it, a game about collecting resources and even collectibles had such lack of foresight that it could have invisible level transfer hidden in story moments. So to collect everything you just had to restart the game. Back then it boggles my mind how such well produced game just didn’t give a shit.
That is what I remember the most , granted I haven’t played it since release but I remember think it was a well produced “one of those” . I loved the story and being in the world though.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
LEANIJA I remember hating one thing about it, a game about collecting resources and even collectibles had such lack of foresight that it could have invisible level transfer hidden in story moments. So to collect everything you just had to restart the game. Back then it boggles my mind how such well produced game just didn’t give a shit.
That is what I remember the most , granted I haven’t played it since release but I remember think it was a well produced “one of those” . I loved the story and being in the world though.
Oh yeah totally agree, I know what you mean.
I never understood why game devs do that, I hate that too, because that way, youre always cautious and thinking "did I collect everything and check everywhere? did i miss anything" ...and you actively avoid the obvious path forward in fear that the game would lock you out of the previous area without warning if you trigger a cutscene point.

Wolfenstein 2014 did that too, very annoying. Well, plenty of games do. I guess they want to make sure people dont get lost? But c'mon, put an option in to backtrack and collect stuff, especially if you have collectibles.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I usually don't block or unfollow people on Twitter but i really had to unfollow Doc because dude literally had to write opinion about everything and in multiple Twitter threads. And i couldn't stand his more often than not asking for money to show big developers how to make good game. i didn't see that big ego in a while.

• Eyes

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Meh to todays general conversation.
Carry on tho as honestly its only my opinion and noone should really care about what I or anyone else has to say.

• Eyes

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is nonexistent. And don't bother concealing your thievery—celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: "It's not where you take things from—it's where you take them to."

Jim Jarmusch

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Martha is Dead will have a Collectors Edition with lots of ...stuff
whats cool tho, is that its got a PlayStation disc, but also a Steam code.

Its very expensive and not my kind of thing (generally not into physical games), but I find it neat they included that for all the people who wanna buy a collectors edition but rather play on PC than PS.

~

BTW I wanted to add something. Forced positivity is also not cool in my opinion. Its really fine to dislike stuff. As I said, people should be able to voice their opinion as long as they dont get weird or unpleasant about it - or try to convince others that their opinion's a fact.

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
I can’t believe what I’ve started
Look I just find GOW and TLOU overrated ok which I’ve said before 😅

I'm with you at least. God of War was my final straw with the Sony big budget adventure stuff. Uncharted and TLOU are 3rd person shooters which as a genre is a hard sell to me at the best of times so not liking them too much was no surprise. Meanwhile I tend to have fun with even the most mediocre melee based games and yet GOW still didn't entirely grab me.

Also since it came up in this conversation I just have to say I fucking loved Death Stranding.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
It goes without saying that innovation is an absolute must. Otherwise all we would have is clones of clones of clones. While I like polished games I do also like janky games that do something new.
I heard a really interesting thesis from my fave Twitch guy, Tomato, yesterday.

He was playing Industria and when he brought the name up the chat was evenly split between, "Great game!", "Game sucks!"

Went on to suggest that a split reception for any random game is a huge plus in his book because that indicates the game was not made for a wide audience, but rather a certain slice of gamer. Making it all the more interesting because it's not focused on pleasing everyone.

He goes on that most games that appeal to EVERYONE can easily be viewed as safe & generic because in trying to reach the entire market you have to sand down the edges to appeal to the widest range of people. Yawn.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all cases, and there are risk-taking breakout titles that appeal to a wide audience (Obra Dinn, Outer Wilds, etc.).

But I thought it was an interesting argument nonetheless in regards to embracing flawed or janky productions for the inherent creative spark fueling them that more polished releases just don't have the luxury to explore.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Is he the same dude who made Paratopic? Or am I confusing them with someone else?
Don't really have an opinion about them personally but that game was damn fine.
He has done work on Paratopic and Shipbreaker, the spaceship cutting up game, among other things so he's got experience and has thought deeply about this stuff but eh, saying HL2 is mediocre is in my own stinky opinion a stinky opinion. lol.

• Eyes

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I heard a really interesting thesis from my fave Twitch guy, Tomato, yesterday.

He was playing Industria and when he brought the name up the chat was evenly split between, "Great game!", "Game sucks!"

Went on to suggest that a split reception for any random game is a huge plus in his book because that indicates the game was not made for a wide audience, but rather a certain slice of gamer. Making it all the more interesting because it's not focused on pleasing everyone.

He goes on that most games that appeal to EVERYONE can easily be viewed as safe & generic because in trying to reach the entire market you have to sand down the edges to appeal to the widest range of people. Yawn.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all cases, and there are risk-taking breakout titles that appeal to a wide audience (Obra Dinn, Outer Wilds, etc.).

But I thought it was an interesting argument nonetheless in regards to embracing flawed or janky productions for the inherent creative spark fueling them that more polished releases just don't have the luxury to explore.
Yeah I agree with this completely.:)

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
He has done work on Paratopic and Shipbreaker, the spaceship cutting up game, among other things so he's got experience and has thought deeply about this stuff but eh, saying HL2 is mediocre is in my own stinky opinion a stinky opinion. lol.
Dang, he was on Shipbreaker as well?

That's two solid hits. Pretty impressive.

But yeah, I agree. "I don't like a thing." is a completely different world than, "This thing is poor quality."

I know I often turn my nose at the AAA machine, but I'm under no illusion that the segment of the market isn't full of high-quality productions.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Dang, he was on Shipbreaker as well?

That's two solid hits. Pretty impressive.

But yeah, I agree. "I don't like a thing." is a completely different world than, "This thing is bad quality."

I know I often turn my nose at the AAA machine, but I'm under no illusion that the segment of the market isn't full of high-quality productions.
We will get the world to acknowledge the awesomeness of ultra-niche games in due time Aaron.

In the meantime, we can diss on AAA games, they can take it, they don't even know we exist. Doesn't change the fact that others love those games. I can never play Game X and find it bland and boring just from looking at it, and I can acknowledge Game Z that it is an influential game without playing it.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So... Lunar New Year sale in two days?

Current betting odds on Hitman 3 going on sale that quick, since the Steam release appears to be a Bomb?
I can see a low discont, 20% tops, they don't need to sell the game on PC, they were already paid by Epic and Microsoft, soon the game will be on PS plus and Humble Choice.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Martha is Dead will have a Collectors Edition with lots of ...stuff
whats cool tho, is that its got a PlayStation disc, but also a Steam code.

Its very expensive and not my kind of thing (generally not into physical games), but I find it neat they included that for all the people who wanna buy a collectors edition but rather play on PC than PS.
Now that's a proper collector edition

Reactions: Tomasety and PC-tan

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018
All I remember about Doc from Neogaf days was him constantly begging for money because of his poor health... ya not a fan

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.